Wrestling Thread Feb 20-26 | 2/24 Beware, There is a Criminal (Lobo) Lurking in this Thread

Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

Did anyone ever read this book? Sounds.. interesting. (The book is no longer 'new'. I've heard of it but I'm just looking into it.)

A new book titled "Ring of Hell" is out with scandalous details on the backstage scene in Japan, ECW, WCW, and WWE. The book goes into theories as to what drove Chris Benoit to kill his son Daniel and wife Nancy.

The book also has details on other backstage stories not necessarily related to Chris Benoit. Former WWE writer Dave Lagana, who was fired from WWE is mentioned in the book. Writer Michael Randazzo V cites sources that claim that Lagana was released because he was offering sexual favors to male and female talent.

In his latest podcast on prowrestling.net Jason Powell mentions that he has heard this rumor and that Lagana propositioned Kevin Thorne. Kevin Thorne reported the incident to The Undertaker and Undertaker took it up to Vince McMahon. The original story of Lagana's firing was that he was thought to be a leak to wrestling news websites. However, the book states that it was a coverup.

Some of the stories may sound hard to believe but Randazzo does have sources (including former WWE writers) to back up many of the claims in the book.

Here are excerpts from the book:

"In addition to being WWE stars, Nash and Hall, along with their buddy Shawn Michaels, had been genius backstage politicians. Pooling their professional leverage and considerable charisma, they concentrated like no one since Hogan on obtaining maximum power, maximum pay, and maximum privileges from McMahon--for which they should be commended. Their calculated mind games against their colleagues were less worthy of plaudits: they would **** in the food and bags of the women who rejected their advances, berate workers who did not use speed and pain pills, and use their near hypnotic pull on McMahon (who was commonly rumored within the industry to have a psychosexual fixation on Michaels) to get away with power trips that shattered the confidence and morale of their competition. To Nash and Hall, the wrestling business was a cutthroat team sport in which ruthless self-gratification was their only goal, and they played this sport with skill and killer instinct. They were good enough to play Vince 'Emperor of Carnies' McMahon like a hapless mark, and in 1996 they were again facing authentic hapless marks in WCW."

"Deranged marks like Hart and Benoit were the easiest targets imaginable. Hall would walk up to Benoit backstage 'real friendly like' and say, 'I love your finish! I can't wait to kick out of it!' On another occasion, Hall began talking to Benoit in a casual, chummy manner, relaxing him, making him feel special like a nerd in high school who is finally getting treated like a human being by the jock bully. Midway through the conversation, Benoit realized that Hall had covertly taken out his d*ck and was pissing on Benoit's cowboy boots."

Other topics in the book include:

- Antonio Inoki buying an island from Fidel Castro because Castro told him that there was buried treasure underneath the island.

- Benoit threatening WCW executives that he would mutilate himself on live TV if forced to go through with a storyline he didn't want to be involved in.

- Vader once got tied up by the Yakuza and they started making little cuts all around Vader's body as some sort of ritual.

- Former WWE writer Dan Madigan's story of sharing a limo with the McMahons and HHH in which he witnessed Vince very gently cradle and snuggle Stephanie to sleep in his arms, then fall snoringly asleep himself, only to catch HHH looking at them drool onto each other and snore into each other's faces with a mixture of utter repulsion and spectacular triumph.

- Trainees in the NJPW dojo being subjected to anal rape if they complained about the food and Jusin Liger would punching rookies. There are stories of people being forced to do pushups while veteran wrestlers urinated on their backs, being sexually molested in the showers, and being made to drink their own semen.

- Paul Heyman talks about his drug use in the book but denies the rumors of being Marty Jannetty's drug dealer.

- Dean Malenko was allegedly Eddie Guerrero's drug connection hook-up for years even after he got out of rehab.

- Saito legititmately KOingd Vader for telling him "Vader calls the match, mother****er", and then had the ref count him out while he screamed insults at Vader.

- Eric Bischoff started Nitro as retaliation for a rib played on him by another major promoter.

- No surprise to anyone but Benoit had an undenying love for Dynamite Kid and it sounds like he had self-esteem issues. He had been taking steroids throughout his adolescent years and painkillers to cool himself off but it just made him into a worse person.
not exactly 
eek.gif

but I wanna read it

I have heard nothing but terrible things about this book.

Check out Lance Storm's review of it HERE

Yard, I just finished reading that Lance Review. I also read that Meltzer review. I will likely not be picking this book up. I'm not a big fan of sensationalist writing. I had to ask about it, though.

Just got the email for the presale tickets to the Raw show on April 30th..It says at the bottom that there will be a LAST MAN STANDING match between Cena and Kane..I thought that whole angle was done..So they're going to do Cena/Rock at WM and then go back to the Kane angle?..

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

Yard, I just finished reading that Lance Review. I also read that Meltzer review. I will likely not be picking this book up. I'm not a big fan of sensationalist writing. I had to ask about it, though.

I've read the "Pain & Passion: History of Stampede Wrestling" book Lance mentioned. Very good read. I also highly recommend Bret Hart's autobio if you haven't read it. He basically carried a tape recorder with him his whole career so his recollection about past events and stories is very detailed.

^I'm going to look into "Pain & Passion." Sounds like a good read.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't head Bret's book. WHAT KINDA FAN AM I?? I need to get on that.

Don't we have 6 weeks til' mania? There's plenty of time go work on things for the NTWTE or whatever the hell everyone calls it.

I've been working on custom titantrons for Mania. So, I have to make sure things/plans are written accordingly. I'm not wasting time making a tron for someone not on the card. Hence, why I haven't mentioned anything.

I've read Bret's book and it is a must read for any wrestling fan..It's not the most entertaining book (Mick and Jericho are definately funnier) but is certainly the most informative imo..

I completely forgot I was the main event of NTMania
pimp.gif

Not club, not I'm that one, not peep game, not jnsq, no anyone but me
pimp.gif

Yea that Thunder game is gonna be crazy.

Lin was gassed badly. Heat didn't let him do anything
laugh.gif

Heard Brandon Jacobs destroys Bully Ray, so I'll be checking that out later.

TNA had AJ wrestling the jersey shore wanna be..And they wonder why they're barely getting a million viewers a week..

TNA needs to get out on the road more, and do more advertising. Outside of SpikeTV, I've never seen
a TNA commercial on other stations. If you're paying Christy Hemme 175K a year, I'm guessing you
could pay for a commercial spot during WWE programming or something.

laugh.gif
at Jacobs chokeslam.

Can't wait to see Bubba back in the E' if he uses this gimmick. (Also hoping RVD can have one last run too!)

Back
Top Bottom