Wrestling Thread Jan 19-25 | 1/25 - THE ROYAL RUMBLE - Hardy vs Edge; Cena vs JBL (p18)

Rourke looked like he was a better worker than Batista in that movie. As far as I can see, he did most of his spots in that movie.

Necro Butcher though
sick.gif

Originally Posted by thacamel

^^^Not too sure about that. I mean, most people I know haven't even heard of "The Wrestler"
Trying to branch out to some mainstream appeal man...plus, who else could get under the fans' skin like Jericho? He'd be perfect as a heelhere...you have to have someone nice on the mic and Jericho fits the bill. He's a smaller guy too, so the match shouldn't look too sloppy. I guess this would be the $$$ Mayweather vs. Big Show match of last year...I'm not totally sold on it though,Jericho would probably be heated that he's stuck to doing it and I wouldn't blame him...but overall, it helps out the WWE a ton.

You're right, he would probably be heated, and rightfully so. Its the silver anniversary of WM. We have never had a Taker vs Jericho or Punk vs Jerichofeud. Think of the match that Punk/Jericho could put on. Taker/Jericho could be EPIC.

^They already blew Punk/Jericho last year.

I agree, Taker/Jericho would be tremendous. But in my opinion, the window for ending Taker's streak has passed. No one's taking that part of legacyaway at this point.

^^That wasn't a REAL feud he had with Punk last year. And I didn't say he had to beat Taker, but could have a real strong showing, back and forth, andTaker pulls it out, making both look even stronger

^^^Not too sure about that. I mean, most people I know haven't even heard of "The Wrestler"
Once Oscar buzz picks up, everyone will. Especially if Rourke wins the Oscar (which he deserves). Do the Oscars happen before or after Mania? Ihave no idea.

Shows like Entertainment Tonight will also pick up the story.

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

Trying to branch out to some mainstream appeal man...plus, who else could get under the fans' skin like Jericho? He'd be perfect as a heel here...you have to have someone nice on the mic and Jericho fits the bill. He's a smaller guy too, so the match shouldn't look too sloppy. I guess this would be the $$$ Mayweather vs. Big Show match of last year...I'm not totally sold on it though, Jericho would probably be heated that he's stuck to doing it and I wouldn't blame him...but overall, it helps out the WWE a ton.

DSK my man you nailed it perfectly. Jericho is the ONLY guy that could pull this off and make it work. It didn't really matter with PBF because only"SPORTS" fans knew about him which is why you could have him go into a program with a guy like Pig Show.

Well, I guess Jericho is the only guy who could pull this off. Rourke is 56 years old. Who besides Jericho could actually out a decent match out of someone whois 56 years old with no in ring experience?

Ok... I haven't seen a wrestling PPV in SOOOOOO long but this show didn't disappoint... I read all the spoilers and still was surprised at some of thethings that happened...

Matt turning on Jeff was dumb and unnecessary but like somebody said, it could prove to be BIG at WM...

The Beth-Melina match wasn't THAT bad... I usually use the women's match as a bathroom break, but I actually watched it and was surprised that she tookthe strap off of Beth...

John Cena retaining (as weird as this sounds) was a total shock for me... I just knew that HBK would help JBL win tonight...

Randy Orton winning was dope... but I knew it was gonna happen...

My Wrestlemania card (it's not going to happen this way but I think it would be good television):

Beth Phoenix vs. Melina (c) for Women's Championship: Winner - Beth Phoenix
Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho - Hell in a Cell Match: Winner - Undertaker
CM Punk (c) vs. William Regal for Intercontinental Championship: Winner - CM Punk
Shelton Benjamin (c) vs. MVP for United States Championship: Winner - MVP
Rey Mysterio vs. The Brian Kendrick vs. Kane vs. R-Truth vs. Umaga vs. John Morrison vs. Evan Bourne vs. The Miz: Winner - John Morrison
HHH vs. Koslov for the #1 Contendership: Winner - HHH
Jack Swagger (c) vs. RVD in Extreme Rules Match for ECW Championship: Winner - RVD
Edge (c) vs. Christian vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Matt Hardy in a TLC Fatal Four-Way for WWE Championship: Winner - Jeff Hardy
John Cena (c) vs. HBK vs. Randy Orton for World Heavyweight Championship: Winner - HBK

My thoughts for the night:

I thought it was a pretty good PPV, save for a few things.

Matt Hardy vs. Jack Swagger - Did everyone forget about this match? It was a very good opener, Swagger got someexposure here which will help him get over in the long run. It didn't drag and Swagger won cleanly like he should have. Off to a good start.

Beth vs. Melina - Sort of a sloppy match, but I think it had more to do with Melina getting a nasty bump and finishingthe match while being hurt (that really could have been WAY worse...she dodged a bullet there). Some people had a problem with Beth dropping the title, butlet's be serious...she didn't look weak at all by dropping the belt. It was a "fluke" win and I think JRS mentioned it...Melina might begetting prepped up to do the Playboy shoot. And obviously they need a face Diva to do it...so putting the strap on her here wasn't a bad move at all.Y'all know Beth is eventually gonna get it back and will continue to be dominant...

Cena vs. JBL - Average match, nothing special here. I liked the finish...it continues the angle of JBL and HBK and Cenawill go on to WrestleMania to face the Royal Rumble winner (I'll get to that in a sec.) Despite the potential spoilers saying otherwise, it would have madeNO sense to take the strap off Cena here and give it to JBL, out of all people. #1. No one wants to see him as world champ on RAW #2. Cena has to be involvedin the main event because he makes the most $$$ for WWE AND his 12 Rounds movie drops around that same time. I'm not a Cena fan, but he had to retain here.

Hardy vs. Edge - Best singles match of the night...these two had a good one. An Edge win was basically confirmed by itbeing the final singles match + Vickie coming out saying it would be No DQ. It sucks that Hardy loses the strap in his first title defense and this early, BUTIMO he should have never won it at Armageddon in the first place. Wrestlemania 25 should have concluded with Jeff Hardy finally winning the title, at thebiggest stage...I'm sure most would have been satisfied with that ending. The Matt Hardy heel turn here was terrible...especially, like y'all said, ifhe was the culprit the whole time and was really trying to kill his his brother. C'mon now...
indifferent.gif

For whatever reason, WWE loves holding off on returns and I'm afraid Christian will end up failing, at least in the beginning. Had the arena chanting forhim in the beginning of that match, imagine the pop he would have gotten if he came out? Now who knows what the @%*@ is gonna happen here...

Royal Rumble Match - From the beginning, I've always wanted Randy Orton to win and most of y'all werepredicting (and hoping) for a victory by him. It just made the most sense to put Orton over at the Rumble, he had the most momentum going into it and we neededa heel winner to face John Cena. Why is it that people are now calling it "predictable"? Because your predictions were correct...? Even when it wasHHH vs. Legacy at the end, y'all know DAMN well an HHH win wouldn't have been out of the question, just knowing who he is. No one could have everguessed DiBiase and Rhodes would have been in there that late and this is great for the WWE. Let's think about it...

...all everyone's been complaining about, and rightfully so, is that they were ruining the Legacy stable. The writers didn't know what the hell theywere doing week to week and it was always something different with these guys. Let's face it...if Legacy were to be ever taken seriously, this is the stagethey needed to do it on. Their showing proves the 'E is committed to the group and they're not in limbo anymore...this is the type of push that was needed, especially for Rhodes and DiBiase. Orton'spunt on McMahon + his win here cements him as the #1 heel in the WWE and as long as everything else falls into place, he could end up making history this year.Son is starting to get Austin-like "we're supposed to hate the bad guy, but we're not" type reactions...he's in a special place rightnow. I'm glad the WWE didn't screw THAT up.

Only thing I didn't like about the Rumble match were the many botches and the times when you didn't know what the hell was going on...too many damnpeople in the ring.
smh.gif

With the right build up, Orton vs. Cena at Wrestlemania should be great. It certainly beats having JBL vs. HBK for the title. That match will happen, but itshould not be for the strap.

The RVP appearance was cool...it was definitely a one time thing. He's said before he's not ready to come back to wrestling, but hasn't closed thedoor on an eventual return. As long as the 'E and him maintain a good relationship, I'm sure he'll end up re-signing with them down the line...

Back to the predictability thing...KingofIlladelph said
Originally Posted by KingofIlladelph

Aren't you all the same people who whine about how cool wrestling used to be...Or how predictable wrestling is now a days. I'll give you hint as to why its so predictable....YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!

Maybe if the E didn't have to try so hard to keep things from hitting the dirt sheets, they could actually build decent storylines that were well thought out without having to over swerve to compensate.
and y'all are sort of proving him right. I don't know how some can talk about predictability when most of us read all thespoilers/potential spoilers that are out...
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
. We can't expect a real surprise out there every time (like Cena lastyear) because of the internet and information travelling so fast. Look at what happened today..RVD made the surprise appearance tonight and people found outabout it about two hours before the show.
laugh.gif

Last thing...shouts to The Kliq and the rest of the wrestling heads here on NT. We had 22 pages before the show evenstarted and it looks like we'll conclude at 60. Just to put it in perspective...last year's Royal Rumble thread was 24 pages total. Last year'sWrestleMania thread was 33 pages total. Granted, it will be at 60 because it's a weekly thread, not an event thread...but it goes to show how activeit's gotten here the past couple of months.
smokin.gif

Let's hope the good streak of RAW episodes continue tomorrow...

^ I like pretty much everything you said sir.

Swagger vs Matt was good but it got lost in the shuffle. Jack is destined for greatness.

Jeff vs Edge was a really good match but the finish made us forget about that fact.

And I never even gave the Legacy push much thought. You're right, Cody and Ted held it down and were both in the final four, I see big things inLegacy's future. I also agree that at times there were too many people in the ring. It was reminiscent of the early 90s rumbles where there was just toomuch %%$* going on. There were no big runs of eliminations, and for the majority of the time there was big numbers in the ring. But at the same time I guessyou can't expect every year to be the same cuz then it would get too repetitive and predictable.

Does anyone know if they are doing a double taping of SD this tuesday
nerd.gif
?Thinkin about going..

Rourke vs Jericho
eyes.gif

I got 5-5 on predictions on this ppv, but Orton winning was somewhat obvious since most of the stories and promos in the past week involved him. Im curious tosee what will happen on Raw. Also, I was shocked to see Matt Hardy betray Jeff, although I anticipated a Christian return. I thought Christian would bebackstage tampering with the controls and coming out at #31 lol

Some stuff I did like in the PPV:
Shawn Michaels superkicking JBL and Cena
Randy Orton winning the Rumble
pimp.gif

RVD Returning
Taker and HBK backstage (Hopefully JBL ends feuds with HBK at No Way Out and HBK fights Taker at WM)

Heres what I didnt really like in PPV:

Matt Hardy turning heel: the storyline was perfect for Christian to return and now Hardy helps Edge get the title even though he just fought him?
Quick elimination of Triple H by Orton at the end. They shouldve fought for a few minutes at the end of the match.
Cody Rhodes and Ted Dibiase outlasting Undertaker, Jericho, Mysterio, RVD, Kozlov, Big Show, and CM Punk (although it gives the stable a push)
eyes.gif

Great ppv nonetheless

Originally Posted by bjm5295

Edge (c) vs. Christian vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Matt Hardy in a TLC Fatal Four-Way for WWE Championship
I know thats really unlikely, but that would be SICK.

SICK!
eek.gif

My main issue is what are the other matches on the card.

This is my hopes for the WrestleMania card. 8 matches...

1st. Womens title 6 way: (C) Melina v.s. Beth Phoenix v.s. Mickie James v.s. Candace Michelle v.s. Jillian v.s. Kelly Kelly : Time7:06-7:18
2nd.World Tag Team Title: (C) Cryme Tyme v.s. Priceless : Time 7:24-7:36
3rd. Money in the Bank Ladder Match: M.V.P v.s. Rey Mysterio v.s. Brian Kendrick v.s.Miz v.s. Morrison v.s. Kane v.s. Evan Bourne v.s. Koslov : Time 7:43-7:55
4th. JBL v.s. HBK :Time 8:03-8:16
5th. Chris Jericho v.s. Mickey Rourke... I was forced to put it there out of speculation surrounding the two.
eyes.gif
:Time 8:22-8:34
6th. Wrestlemania streak v.s. US Title: Undertaker v.s. (C) Shelton Benjamin :Time 8:44-8:57
Music performance
7th. WWE Title Fatal Four-Way: (C) Edge v.s. Christian v.s. Jeff Hardy vs. Matt Hardy :Time 9:18-9:42
8th. World Heavyweight Title 60 minute Ironman match: (C) John Cena v.s. Randy Orton :Remaing time.

I put the times in case someone reads this and wonder how can someone fit 7 matches plus a iron match in one show. I would probably have to cut another matchout for side segments. If I had to I would delete the Tag title match.

Originally Posted by YardFather

laugh.gif
at putting the times. That fatal four way is a dream match

I had to
laugh.gif
. I was thinking "Now if I was reading this I wouldwonder how do you fit all that in to one show?".

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Money in the Bank being 12 minutes
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Last year it was 13:55. If I delete the Tag match then I could add a few minutes on.

Below is a list of the order of entrants and eliminations to this year's Royal Rumble match: Entrants:
1) Rey Mysterio
2) John Morrison
3) Carlito
4) MVP
5) The Great Khali
6) Vladimir Kozlov
7) Triple H
8 ) Randy Orton
9) JTG
10) Ted DiBiase
11) Chris Jericho
12) Mike Knox
13) The Miz
14) Finlay
15) Cody Rhodes
16) The Undertaker
17) Goldust
18) CM Punk
19) Mark Henry
20) Shelton Benjamin
21) William Regal
22) Kofi Kingston
23) Kane
24) R-Truth
25) RVD
26) The Brian Kendrick
27) Dolph Ziggler
28) Santino Marella
29) Hacksaw Jim Duggan
30) The Big Show

Eliminations:
1) Vladimir Kozlov eliminates The Great Khali
2) Vladimir Kozlov eliminates MVP
3) Vladimir Kozlov eliminates Carlito
4) Triple H eliminates Vladimir Kozlov
5) Triple H eliminates The Miz
6) Triple H eliminates John Morrison
7) The Undertaker eliminates JTG
8 ) Cody Rhodes eliminates Goldust
9) Rey Mysterio eliminates Mark Henry
10) The Undertaker eliminates Shelton Benjamin
11) CM Punk eliminates William Regal
12) The Brian Kendrick eliminates Kofi Kingston
13) Triple H eliminates The Brian Kendrick
14) Kane eliminates Dolph Ziggler
15) Kane eliminates Santino Marella
16) The Big Show eliminates Hacksaw Jim Duggan
17) The Big Show eliminates R-Truth
18) The Big Show eliminates CM Punk
19) Rey Mysterio is eliminated
20) Mike Knox is eliminated
21) Kane eliminates Finlay
22) Chris Jericho eliminates RVD
23) The Undertaker eliminates Chris Jericho
24) The Legacy eliminates Kane
25) Randy Orton eliminates The Big Show
26) The Big Show eliminates The Undertaker from the outside
27) Triple H eliminates Ted DiBiase
28) Triple H eliminates Cody Rhodes
29) Randy Orton eliminates Triple H

Winner: Randy Orton Match Duration: 48 minutes, 27 seconds

^^What a surprise, the nose eliminated the most people
eyes.gif
When I read that I was laughing a bit because He got to eliminate some very key people.

Koslov was looking like top dog but then got the boot.
Miz and Morrison = Tag champs.
Brian Kendrick looked bad coming in and going right back out after having so much hype last year.
He eliminated 2 of 3 members of Legacy but got eliminated by one of his hand chosen people.

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom