Wrestling Thread Nov 7-13 | 11/13 TNA Turning Point - Roode vs Styles, Jarrett vs Hardy

I don't know if this was posted in last week's thread.
So what cable companies will air WWE Network?

NONE!

youtube-logo_a_l.jpg

[h2]The Google-owned site's partners include BermanBraun, WWE, HSN, Ashton Kutcher and Amy Poehler.[/h2]
In a low-budget early effort to compete with satellite and cable TV providers, YouTube announced Friday that it has partnered with several entities to roll out television-style channels with professionally produced shows that will strike a sharp contrast to the short videos of crazy cats, skateboard wipeouts and other amateur content that made the site famous.

The online TV channels will be programmed by the likes of BermanBraun, FremantleMedia, Shine Group, The Wall Street Journal, pro skateboarder Tony Hawk and actors Ashton Kutcher and Amy Poehler.

STORY: YouTube to Add TV Channels With Premium Content From Hollywood Providers

Insiders said the Google-owned property has shelled out some $150 million in advances for the creation of about 100 channels, with a maximum $5 million going to any single channel. Financial details were sketchy on Friday, though The Wall Street Journal reported that deals call for YouTube recouping its advances then giving as much as 55 percent of the ad revenue to the content creators.

News of the bold initiaitve has been leaking piecemeal for months, but sources say YouTube will make the announcement official, including a list of some 100 partners, sometime Friday.

Other partners getting their own YouTube channels include World Wrestling Entertainment, HSN, Ben Silverman’s Electus, CSI creator Anthony Zuiker, Everyday Health, Iconic Entertainment and former NBA player Shaquille O'Neal. 

STORY: YouTube to Spend Millions on Celebrity Created Content

And the Journal says that Sofia Vergara of the ABC show Modern Family will be featured on a Hispanic channel.

YouTube is no stranger to premium content, as it has been allowing users to rent Hollywood feature films for several years, and insiders say the company is readying an initiative for renting traditional TV shows in a similar a la carte fashion. The channels announced Friday, though, are distinct from those efforts in part because their content is created exclusively for YouTube.

Most of the channels won't launch until next year. When they're up and running, they'll feature about 25 hours of new and original programming each day.

Google isn’t interested in making YouTube merely the best video site on the Internet - it’s already by far the most popular, attracting some 160 million unique users each month – but also a legitimate threat to traditional TV, insiders and analysts have said. It’s not a farfetched goal, given the advancements of Google TV, Apple TV and other technologies that put Internet video on TV screens. It's also a worthwhile goal, of course, given that the $60 billion TV advertising business in the U.S. is about 30 times larger than the video-ad market on the Internet.

YouTube's announcement will come after Yahoo and AOL recently unveiled pushes into premium video series with big-name talent like Mark Burnett.

Companies like YouTube, Yahoo and AOL "are increasing online video offerings to keep pace with or push further the evolution of media distribution," said Benchmark Capital analystClayton Moran.

"Video garners more user attention and greater advertising rates than traditional online content. The risk is that video also costs more to produce and much of the cost to creating original programming is up front," Moran said. "YouYube appears well-positioned with a strong brand and large user base."

Originally Posted by Peep Game

WWE Network = Massive Bomb

Honestly, I think they have a better chance of succeeding this way.  It is HARD to start a new television channel.  Look how hard it was for the NFL Network to get traction, and they have probably 100x the fanbase of WWE.  This gives WWE a low risk avenue to start the network, and if it does take off (which I doubt it will), then they can try and pitch it to actual cable/satellite providers.
If WWE was just going to put on classic wrestling shows, documentaries, and specials 24/7, I think it could work.  But really, who wants to see any WWE original programming?  We've seen how awful their movies are.

i see your point 4w, but wwe would have had a better chance of succeeding on an actual cable company.

name one series/network that has been able to branch from youtube to cable.

i can name a handful that have failed or are still trying after 4+ yrs.

4dub...I'm 99.9% sure the new WWE/Youtube #%+! has nothing to do with their network. Look at the #'s. Maximum $5 mill from Youtube for a channel. Vince took out a $200 mill loan from JP Morgan to finance the WWE Network. Vince has wanted his own TV clearance for years. Youtube content will most likely be some C-grade throwaway content that's not really important and I'm guessing (on the WWE's part) it's to further their relationship with one of the major social sites.

MoreYouKnow.jpg

Haven't watched RAW so I'm out. I'll start shaking the rust off tomorrow...

those suplex ring breakers are so dumb. it just so happens the ring post that they jumped off stayed up? lol

wwe should have tried netflix as a network lol

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

4dub...I'm 99.9% sure the new WWE/Youtube #%+! has nothing to do with their network. Look at the #'s. Maximum $5 mill from Youtube for a channel. Vince took out a $200 mill loan from JP Morgan to finance the WWE Network. Vince has wanted his own TV clearance for years. Youtube content will most likely be some C-grade throwaway content that's not really important and I'm guessing (on the WWE's part) it's to further their relationship with one of the major social sites.

MoreYouKnow.jpg

Haven't watched RAW so I'm out. I'll start shaking the rust off tomorrow...
WWE will still be trying to get an actual television network, but the WWE Network will debut on Youtube.  It is starting at WrestleMania, and this is their only option.

now that i think about it they should have tried netflix. netflix will be losing the starz channel so why not make it into the wwe channel?

WWE doesn't want to be On-Demand content, they already have that. They want to be 24/7/365 network.

Why exactly would the WWE Network fail though? Is it strictly because potentially every piece of footage that would be on the network, is already online (Youtube, torrents, forums, etc), and on DVDs?

Originally Posted by bkmac

Why exactly would the WWE Network fail though? Is it strictly because potentially every piece of footage that would be on the network, is already online (Youtube, torrents, forums, etc), and on DVDs?

It would fail because WWE would not be able to make nearly the amount of money back that they would be putting into it.  WWE was attempting to have the network included in the same premium sports package that includes NFL Network, but both cable companies and the NFL were not having this.
Forget about the $200 million loan WWE took out, that was just for startup costs.  The costs of running your own network (especially starting from scratch) are MASSIVE.  I think WWE is taking the smart approach here.  If the content on the Youtube Network is good, I would gladly pay a few bucks a month to watch quality, classic wrestling instead of the bull**** we saw on Raw last night.

There were many upset backstage last night that WWE was not able to get any trending topics on Twitter during Raw.
This is not a joke.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

There were many upset backstage last night that WWE was not able to get any trending topics on Twitter during Raw.
This is not a joke.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

This company these days ...they have made me loathe Twitter even more. 
30t6p3b.gif

WWE has suspended Evan Bourne (a/k/a Matthew Korklan) for 30 days due to a Wellness Policy violation. You can read the official announcement at WWE.com.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

WWE has suspended Evan Bourne (a/k/a Matthew Korklan) for 30 days due to a Wellness Policy violation. You can read the official announcement at WWE.com.

His tan was definitely on steroids last night.

Evan Bourne??? No wonder they jobbed twice.
30t6p3b.gif
damn, when he first came back from injury he was lookin like
he was cast in 300, but I did not believe at all that he was actually doing anything.

Spoiler [+]
bio-masonryan2.jpg
So.....

On another note Warrior comments on the Occupy movement.. VIA TMZ

Wrestling legend Ultimate Warrior just called BS on the hordes of hipsters behind Occupy Wall Street -- telling TMZ, they're a bunch of poseurs, fueling the same corporate giant they're trying to take down.

In an ultra-rare appearance in full make-up, Warrior -- real name Brian Hellwig -- tells us, "I find it a little ironic that most of these kids own iPads and iPhones and all these material things. They're a big part of the consumerism that goes on in this country."

Warrior adds, "The biggest statement you can make is not to participate in the consumerism of it all. Don't buy the stuff. Start living your own life. Practice what you preach."

We never thought we'd say this, but the man's got a point.

Back
Top Bottom