Wrestling Thread September 1st-3rd/ Weekend Edition/ Mae Young Classic Available Now First 4

DeAngelo Williams debuted at Slammiversary and he was really good! Seriously, he was fantastic: 

Drew,

Please stop bringing up what Chyna accomplished as a reference point as to say, "Why can't it be done today when Chyna did it." Well Chyna was roided up and was a physical presence that folks didn't have to completely remove their disbelief to buy into her competing with men.

Any form of "entertainment" needs the fans to buy into the product. It doesn't matter if those same fans are able to perform the tasks that they are watching those athletes carry out. So to have a woman compete for the world title would be a LOT of buy-in from the fans. It doesn't matter if they know how to do a flat back bump or not.

3: Care to answer why? I feel they intersect here.

You mentioned that YOU (normal human) aren't as athletic as some JOSHI wrestlers. YOU aren't in the WWE World Title picture. The men that ARE in the World Title Picture don't feel that any of those JOSHI wrestlers are as athletic as them (rightfully so).

So that is why I said, it doesn't matter if you felt like JOSHI wrestlers were stronger than you, fans aren't being asked to buy into Drew vs. Charlotte; they are being asked to suspend disbelief for Seth vs. Charlotte; or Brock/Joe vs. Charlotte (Or Whoever).

Wale to host SmackDown LIVE Rap Battle between The New Day and The Usos this Tuesday

Hip-hop star Wale revealed on Twitter Friday afternoon that he will be making his way to SmackDown LIVE this Tuesday to host the Rap Battle between The New Day and SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Usos.

Drew,

Please stop bringing up what Chyna accomplished as a reference point as to say, "Why can't it be done today when Chyna did it." Well Chyna was roided up and was a physical presence that folks didn't have to completely remove their disbelief to buy into her competing with men.

Any form of "entertainment" needs the fans to buy into the product. It doesn't matter if those same fans are able to perform the tasks that they are watching those athletes carry out. So to have a woman compete for the world title would be a LOT of buy-in from the fans. It doesn't matter if they know how to do a flat back bump or not.
Sure, Chyna was an outlier, but so are guys like Andre, Big Show, and Khali. If men already job out to make other men stronger, why not to make a female wrestler look strong in the beginning too?

I mean, they are already buying into it on some level by choosing to tune in, so clearly that is not the issue. This is "fantasy" to a large extent, and the average consumer of the product knows this and yet still consumes. 
You mentioned that YOU (normal human) aren't as athletic as some JOSHI wrestlers. YOU aren't in the WWE World Title picture. The men that ARE in the World Title Picture don't feel that any of those JOSHI wrestlers are as athletic as them (rightfully so).

So that is why I said, it doesn't matter if you felt like JOSHI wrestlers were stronger than you, fans aren't being asked to buy into Drew vs. Charlotte; they are being asked to suspend disbelief for Seth vs. Charlotte; or Brock/Joe vs. Charlotte (Or Whoever).
To me, if the men that are in that picture don't believe these women work hard or harder than them, well then that to me really smacks of sexism and chauvinism. 

I think a deconstruction of what a world champion athlete is might need to transpire because as of now, the standard bearer tends to be a Brock Lesnar/Cena type "meathead". All the smaller guys who have had runs with the title were starts to showing that you didn't need to say your prayers, eat your vitamins, and sell t shirts to be a champ, working hard paid off. Bryan, Punk, Finn, Michaels etc. those guys opened the door for the concept of a Hulk Hogan like character having to be champion. I don't see why an Asuka, Charlotte (even though I think she needs way more work), or other female can't challenge, let alone win the title in time. 

Mind you, I am not calling for this overnight, but clearly the steps are in place where you implement this given the right progress in social and cultural climates and with the right performers. 

Botched on the frog splash
laugh.gif
Yeah that was the only thing he did wrong, but for someone who just debuted he was really good

The men that ARE in the World Title Picture don't feel that any of those JOSHI wrestlers are as athletic as them (rightfully so).

To me, if the men that are in that picture don't believe these women work hard or harder than them, well then that to me really smacks of sexism and chauvinism. 

Do you see how you blatantly moved the goalposts here Drew?

I said, the men don't feel that any of those JOSHI wrestlers are as athletic as them (rightfully so).

And

You brought up work ethic and then began the, "sexism" card/

Come on man.

Drew,

You are right, you are an idealist.

Like I said from the jump, you are COMPLETELY ignoring the physical differences between men and women.

I will just leave it at that. I tap out because this is going nowhere

Last edited:
DeAngelo Williams debuted at Slammiversary and he was really good! Seriously, he was fantastic: 

Wow, outside of overshooting the frog splash a bit, he looked very good. Didn't look like he was thinking about what the next move was and didn't look clunky not out of place. Don't know when he started training, but there's a lot of potential there

Do you see how you blatantly moved the goalposts here Drew?

I said, the men don't feel that any of those JOSHI wrestlers are as athletic as them (rightfully so).

And

You brought up work ethic and then began the, "sexism" card/

Come on man.
I think there are plenty of female performers who work better and harder than their male counterparts, so I maybe I did not make that obvious from the outset, for that, my bad. I figured it was explicit in my championing of their abilities to perform the job just as handily as anyone. I think we are certainly speaking for others and I would be really interested in hearing from the actual performers what they think. 

I think it is a bit unfair to just say the male performers are "rightful" however in them being deemed more worthy of praise and all the trappings that go along with that simply because of their biology and physiology. That to me is extremely short sighted, and in turn quite sexist. I am under no illusion that this is a male dominated, predominantly male consumed entertainment product, but we all watch for different reasons, which makes these kinds of discussions, group tete a tete's, etc. polarizing, enjoyable, and sometimes friendship destroying haha. 
Drew,

You are right, you are an idealist.

Like I said from the jump, you are COMPLETELY ignoring the physical differences between men and women.

I will just leave it at that. I tap out because this is going nowhere
I would never claim otherwise lol. 

I enjoyed all of this because it certainly made my brain work to figure out at the core what my issues and hopes for all of this were, even as overly idealistic and optimistic as they are. Hopefully we can be proven wrong in our life times, and if not, I will still cling to the idea that it could happen. It certainly doesn't make me lose any respect for you, DC.

I finally got around to watching the Kenny Omega and Okada Dominion match and holy **** was that awesome those dudes are great. Like everything about that match was great the moves, Cody and the bullet club coming out losing their ****, Kenny finally hit the one winged angle but Okada got his the rope 
eek.gif
 just a fantastic match

I gotta watch the Naito one too from Dominion and eventually get around to the G1 stuff. NJPW is great 

What G1 matches should I watch 
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Other than LU, it's kinda tough watching other stuff after catching NJPW matches :lol: The average WWE match just looks so tame by comparison

Back
Top Bottom