X-Men:First Class Thread (First leaked Pic)

Originally Posted by HOOSIERdaddy282

-Gambit should have had a bigger role

I'll never get the love for Gambit.

From what a remember as a kid watching the cartoon and occasionally reading the comics, Gambit:

Wears purple
Can make playing cards explode (heavy Jubilee look)
Is French (Cajun, close enough)
Carries a stick (not unlike Donatello, obviously the worst TMNT)
Is not smashing (can't touch Rogue)

IDK.

Originally Posted by Ryda421

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

Ryda421 so is it safe to say you are against all comic book to film adaptations? Because I thought you were a TDK fan, and to be honest, Nolan has taken a lot of liberties with the characters in the Batman universe.
IMO, as long as the film stays true to the essence of the character(s), I am willing to see a fresh interpretation. I get caught up with the details as well at times (as my previous posts about First Class will show), but really, I'm a movie fan first, so I'm actually just happy to see a film that has comic book ties.

With all these comic book film releases churning out every summer, I know it's tough for people to remember how it was before (especially in regards to Marvel films). In the mid-90's when the Fanatastic Four movie was in development (which essentially was a B-Movie) I'd anxiously await to see any updates in Wizard and remember the first promo shot and was eeked. Then a couple months later it was shelved which was a complete bummer. Hell, I even draged my folks to Wherehouse (which was essentially like Blockbuster) trying to rent Dolph Lundgren's The Punisher because I really wanted to see a "comic book" film.

So as a former comic book geek to a present day film aficionado, even with the failed comic book adaptations we've seen in the past, I'm just happy to see the characters I followed as a kid in "real-life" on screen.

Same here. GRACIAS.
pimp.gif
same here ?
laugh.gif

you just stated this

We can be satisfied that the @!#* we grew up idolizing and intrigued by has made it to the big screen in such a way that we can see it with more than just our imagination. I guess because I'm not a "Comic Book Guy" like the rest of you, it's easier for me to have an open mind to some of these adaptations
that's a contradiction. so are you or are you not a comic book guy ?

If you'd have quoted the whole bit, you may have caught the reference. I said:
I guess because I'm not a "Comic Book Guy" like the rest of you, it's easier for me to have an open mind to some of these adaptations. But the main cats hollering "Worst. Movie. EVER!" are the ones[sic] that...

Note the quotations.I'm definitely not "A comic book guy".

I was alluding to a Simpson's character that takes comics WAY too seriously. And you seem to fit the description right now. I only dabble in the source material. Because the comic book era dwindled right around the time I became interested in the characters, I'm more familiar with the video games and cartoons of the 90s than the literature of the 80s and prior. So no, I don't let the old sources define how satisfied I am with newer iterations of the same characters and events. You probably shouldn't either. It's a waste of time. If you want major motion pictures of your fav. heroes, expect changes to be made so that their stories appeal to a major audience. That's just how it works. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Originally Posted by shogun

Originally Posted by ThaTruth89

indifferent.gif

and I came outta lurking and signed in just to give you that.
laugh.gif
  I would say that stoneface is well deserved.
The movie could be good and entertaining which is the point of a movie.  You have to expect there will be a few tweaks in these comic movies.  Comic book elitists like you sound extra dorky and mad.
so let's say they make a movie about 'shogun' i take it you enjoy his fighting. and they leave out the fact that he has a brother who also fights. or the fact that he won the grand prix in japan and instead was in america. or something like to those lines. would you be happy ? if you say that you are, then you are just a bandwagon and accept things for what they are and therefore lose all credit with the die hard fans
So only purists are real fans of something?  Sometimes you have to accept things won't be done exactly the way you want something to be.  That's reality.  You can enjoy something and not be seen as a bandwagon fan.  Everyone's different.  I grew up watching the X-Men cartoons on Fox and have a general idea of the comic storylines from reading online.  Me liking First Class doesn't erase all of that.  I hope the movie is good because i'm a fan of the X-Men and want to see a good X-Men movie.  It's that simple for me.  When it comes to adaptations, people will make changes when they transfer from one media to another.  I used to absolutely hate it but I try to be open-minded about that stuff now.
And no, I wouldn't like a Shogun movie like that.  But an altered biographical film about a real person is different from fictional characters.  There are comic book characters whose backstory have been re-written, altered a few times by different comic book writers.

Originally Posted by shogun

Originally Posted by ThaTruth89

indifferent.gif

and I came outta lurking and signed in just to give you that.
laugh.gif
  I would say that stoneface is well deserved.
The movie could be good and entertaining which is the point of a movie.  You have to expect there will be a few tweaks in these comic movies.  Comic book elitists like you sound extra dorky and mad.
so let's say they make a movie about 'shogun' i take it you enjoy his fighting. and they leave out the fact that he has a brother who also fights. or the fact that he won the grand prix in japan and instead was in america. or something like to those lines. would you be happy ? if you say that you are, then you are just a bandwagon and accept things for what they are and therefore lose all credit with the die hard fans
So only purists are real fans of something?  Sometimes you have to accept things won't be done exactly the way you want something to be.  That's reality.  You can enjoy something and not be seen as a bandwagon fan.  Everyone's different.  I grew up watching the X-Men cartoons on Fox and have a general idea of the comic storylines from reading online.  Me liking First Class doesn't erase all of that.  I hope the movie is good because i'm a fan of the X-Men and want to see a good X-Men movie.  It's that simple for me.  When it comes to adaptations, people will make changes when they transfer from one media to another.  I used to absolutely hate it but I try to be open-minded about that stuff now.
And no, I wouldn't like a Shogun movie like that.  But an altered biographical film about a real person is different from fictional characters.  There are comic book characters whose backstory have been re-written, altered a few times by different comic book writers.

Is this movie based off or taking the theme some plot from any of the X-Men comics?

I always feel the movie comes out better when the movie has a strong basis in one of the better graphic novels or stories from one of the comics.

Is this movie based off or taking the theme some plot from any of the X-Men comics?

I always feel the movie comes out better when the movie has a strong basis in one of the better graphic novels or stories from one of the comics.

Originally Posted by Budweiser

From what a remember as a kid watching the cartoon and occasionally reading the comics, Gambit:

Wears purple

IDK.
Hold up..

-Purple is a top 3 cool %%% color (next to blue and black)
-He can make ANYTHING explode by sheer touch... kinetic energy manipulation = one of THEE most useful mutant abilities
-Dude's an omega level
-Was once a horsemen for Apoc -- DEATH
pimp.gif

-Creole swag IS swag.. get familiar
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
. Someone's never been on Bourbon Street
30t6p3b.gif
... top 5 coolest places in America...
-The only mutant with enough security to handle Rogue. (He probably did smash.. somehow.. )
-His name is Remy...
pimp.gif

-All pimps have a cane
laugh.gif

Insert random Wiki awesome read:
Gambit is a mutant who has the power to take the potential energy stored in an object and convert it to kinetic energy thus “charging

Wears purple

IDK.
Hold up..

-Purple is a top 3 cool %%% color (next to blue and black)
-He can make ANYTHING explode by sheer touch... kinetic energy manipulation = one of THEE most useful mutant abilities
-Dude's an omega level
-Was once a horsemen for Apoc -- DEATH
pimp.gif

-Creole swag IS swag.. get familiar
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
. Someone's never been on Bourbon Street
30t6p3b.gif
... top 5 coolest places in America...
-The only mutant with enough security to handle Rogue. (He probably did smash.. somehow.. )
-His name is Remy...
pimp.gif

-All pimps have a cane
laugh.gif

Insert random Wiki awesome read:
Gambit is a mutant who has the power to take the potential energy stored in an object and convert it to kinetic energy thus “charging

That's only in the comics though and Gambit at full omega level mutant power was a different version in a different alternate universe and when the original got that power he burnt them out.

I mean if the ppl making the films are gonna be changing things so it's more acceptable to the masses I don't see how introducing the most powerful version of Gambit helps. Especially when he isn't even the main villain. All ppl want to see from him is card throwing, fighting with his stick, and then getting pwned when he steals a kiss from Rogue.

That's only in the comics though and Gambit at full omega level mutant power was a different version in a different alternate universe and when the original got that power he burnt them out.

I mean if the ppl making the films are gonna be changing things so it's more acceptable to the masses I don't see how introducing the most powerful version of Gambit helps. Especially when he isn't even the main villain. All ppl want to see from him is card throwing, fighting with his stick, and then getting pwned when he steals a kiss from Rogue.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Yeah that last post was more of a "by the way" than anything. I just always though Remy was dope.  I'm not petitioning for a bigger, better role or anything.. that would be nitpicking. I try not to nitpick these things. If I was going to be nitpicky, I'd start with Logan's complete lack of bloodlust and feral instincts.. but whatever..

Yeah that last post was more of a "by the way" than anything. I just always though Remy was dope.  I'm not petitioning for a bigger, better role or anything.. that would be nitpicking. I try not to nitpick these things. If I was going to be nitpicky, I'd start with Logan's complete lack of bloodlust and feral instincts.. but whatever..

Omega level mutants
pimp.gif

I remember picking up uncanny x-men #350 back in the day and trying to figure out what the hell mr. sinister gave gambit in return for leading the marauders to slaughter the morlocks...if you guys have that issue it was straight piff...gatefold cover with holo/chromium....I loved those type of comics that came out back in the day...especially with ones with holograms....I wish they would bring those back even though it was gimmicky.

You guys also have to remember that Marvel is a comic book company, not really a movie company...their strategy is to of course make money but since they can't put out endless movies they put a little of a character into a movie...basically the bare essentials of what makes that character who he is in order to entice you into finding out more by going to read the comics where their majority of money comes from.  It's just business....while trying to appease the fan.  They want to stay somewhat in the confines of the comic's canon, make some slight revisions for a new twist, and try to satisfy both new people and those who have been reading for a long time.

All I can say is that from the trailer, even though Havok is in the original cast, even though Angel is a girl, even though Beast looks more like todays comic book beast, even though their putting in Nightcrawlers father?!?!!?....it still has the original x-men kind of feel.

Omega level mutants
pimp.gif

I remember picking up uncanny x-men #350 back in the day and trying to figure out what the hell mr. sinister gave gambit in return for leading the marauders to slaughter the morlocks...if you guys have that issue it was straight piff...gatefold cover with holo/chromium....I loved those type of comics that came out back in the day...especially with ones with holograms....I wish they would bring those back even though it was gimmicky.

You guys also have to remember that Marvel is a comic book company, not really a movie company...their strategy is to of course make money but since they can't put out endless movies they put a little of a character into a movie...basically the bare essentials of what makes that character who he is in order to entice you into finding out more by going to read the comics where their majority of money comes from.  It's just business....while trying to appease the fan.  They want to stay somewhat in the confines of the comic's canon, make some slight revisions for a new twist, and try to satisfy both new people and those who have been reading for a long time.

All I can say is that from the trailer, even though Havok is in the original cast, even though Angel is a girl, even though Beast looks more like todays comic book beast, even though their putting in Nightcrawlers father?!?!!?....it still has the original x-men kind of feel.

Wears purple

IDK.

mad.gif
i have never had this much anger towards another NTer

Wears purple

IDK.

mad.gif
i have never had this much anger towards another NTer

I peep into this thread for the first time expecting little previews and rumors about the movie and I get full on arguments with people paragraphs long which probably include death threats from NTer to NTer. madness

I peep into this thread for the first time expecting little previews and rumors about the movie and I get full on arguments with people paragraphs long which probably include death threats from NTer to NTer. madness

Back
Top Bottom