Xbox 360 Thread: Forza 4! Arkham City! X-Men (XBLA) Dec 15!

So we are less than a week away from Kinect's launch. It is by far the easiest, simplest, and possibly the best motion controller. And you can feel like a jedi controlling your box with a wave of a hand and just your voice.

Some FAQ about the upcoming motion camera...
Price - $149.99 includes Kinect Adventures by itself
kinectretail.jpg

OR packaged with a 4gb Xbox 360 for $299.99
kinect-box.jpg

Common Questions

Will Kinect be compatible with my Xbox 360?
Spoiler [+]
Kinect is designed to be compatible with all Xbox 360 consoles. If you’re new to Xbox 360, you’ll need the full setup – bundled with 4G or 250G consoles. If you’ve already got a Xbox 360 console, the Kinect Sensor is all you need to start playing. Keep in mind that in order to work, the Kinect Sensor requires at least 175MB of free memory space.
Will all Xbox 360 games work with Kinect?
Spoiler [+]
No. While Kinect will be compatible with all Xbox 360 consoles sold to date, it will not be compatible with all Xbox 360 games. Only games that were specifically made for Kinect will work.
Fortunately, there are a selection Kinect-exclusive games that are set to be released for launch, and there are more and more games that are going to be coming out after that, either for Kinect specifically, or that will utilize Kinect in some way.

Here’s the good news. Kinect sensor comes bundled with a copy of Kinect Adventures!; so you can start having fun right away.
Will Kinect work while sitting down?
Spoiler [+]
Yes. Kinect will work both standing up or sitting down, depending on the game you are playing. And with the recent software update, Kinect is now able to “detect the bottom of the neck as a player’s primary node instead of the lower portion of the spine as the base node

Perhaps you've received Kinect and an early copy of Kinectimals? "Lucky me!" you might say to yourself, thinking of all the tiger petting you're about to get into. You plug in the Kinect, pop in the game tape, and the Xbox prompts you with an update. "Of course!" you say. "For this crazy camera thing I just got!"

Without thinking, you hit "Continue" -- and that's where everything goes wrong. You see, the update it pulls down isn't the most recent. After updating and upon signing into Xbox Live, your newly updated system will tell you that it needs to be updated again, but here's the catch: That update will fail (see above pic). Without that update, you won't be able to sign onto Xbox Live.

Since Kinect (nor its games) isn't officially available until next week, the latest Microsoft could publicly release the Kinect Dashboard update is November 4. This means you're stuck with an early version of the new Dashboard -- without Xbox Live functionality, not to mention Kinect -- until the update becomes available in the next week or so. Hopefully you like couch co-op!

Update: Microsoft sent over this statement regarding the situation: "Due to a retailer error, a very small number of customers were shipped copies of a Kinect game ahead of launch. Since Kinect does not launch until Nov. 4 in the United States, customers who insert the game into their console before then will be temporarily unable to access Xbox LIVE. The retailer is contacting affected individuals directly to warn them of this situation."

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/28/psa-got-a-kinect-game-early-dont-stick-it-in/

If you're in NYC and are interested in Kinect. Toys R US in Times Square is giving the first 3,000 customers a 12 month Xbox Live Gold subscription card + (2) Kinect Games: Joy Ride & Kinect Sports.

WHEN: Wednesday, November 3, 6 pm–
Thursday, November 4, 3 am
WHERE: Toys"R"Us Times Square, New York
(1514 Broadway at 44th Street)

Originally Posted by Hollywood James 6

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

not sure if I'll buy a Kinect yet

Me neither, I want to see if there are actually good "full" games. I'm not a fan of mini games or these tech demos...
same. MS is hoping to attract people with that whole you can control the dashboard with your hand gestures
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by xblaze23

If you're in NYC and are interested in Kinect. Toys R US in Times Square is giving the first 3,000 customers a 12 month Xbox Live Gold subscription card + (2) Kinect Games: Joy Ride & Kinect Sports.

WHEN: Wednesday, November 3, 6 pm–
Thursday, November 4, 3 am
WHERE: Toys"R"Us Times Square, New York
(1514 Broadway at 44th Street)
hmm...could there be a line now for that deal?
nerd.gif
grin.gif

ehh

[h2]http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/29/jax-returns-to-mortal-kombat/[/h2]
[h2]Jax returns to Mortal Kombat [/h2]
by Ben Gilbert (9 hours ago)

Mortal Kombat creative lead Ed Boon took to GameTrailers TV last night in order to reveal the latest character for the forthcoming series reboot: Jax. For the handful of you who've never made the acquaintance of the metal-armed gentleman, his Christian name is Jackson Briggs and he was first introduced in Mortal Kombat 2. Though he didn't end up with metal arms until Mortal Kombat 3, he'll be appearing in next year's MK fully kitted out.

As for more characters in the series being revealed, Boon teases the final roster, saying, "It's gonna be somewhere in the 20s, but we don't have a final number." He also points out that DLC will bring more characters to the game's lineup, so you hardcore Noob Saibot fans can relax.

Really really looking forward to this one. Day one purchase for me.

On the topic of fighters, I still haven't gotten SSFIV yet... I will have that one here in the near future. But MK was king for me back in the day.

[h4]Xbox Live mandatory update coming November 1st, all hands on board[/h4]
By Sean Hollister posted Oct 30th 2010 11:34PM

Dashboard, that is. You've already seen the new Xbox 360 dashboard update right here and thousands of you have tried its flatter, faster interface for yourselves, but if you've missed out, it's looking like your Halloween candy bag may include a full-scale rollout. Xbox Live subscribers are getting the above message in their inboxes right now, indicating that November 1st will bring a service update of some sort, after which point "You will notice a change to the layout of the Xbox LIVE Dashboard, a new color scheme, and new fonts being used." That doesn't necessarily sound like a cornucopia of Netflix Search, ESPN, Kinect and Zune Music to us, but it's not like you have a choice -- it's mandatory, and you'll lose all Xbox Live functionality unless you comply. We for one welcome our new gaming software overlords. Unlike some of the competition's updates, these at least add functionality.

Thanks Sole, I coulda swore I saw that it was going to release on 11/4, but it would be a good idea to do it on a different day from Kinect I guess in case there's issues.

Oh, and the ESPN addition ONLY works if you have ESPN3 already. My ISP doesn't have ESPN3 so this update for that is pretty useless.
tired.gif

If anyone is wondering if their ISP has this, here's a full list.

GT: untoldstory23
I don't really play games other than MW2, but pretty soon it will be Black Ops.

Thanks Sole, I coulda swore I saw that it was going to release on 11/4, but it would be a good idea to do it on a different day from Kinect I guess in case there's issues.

Oh, and the ESPN addition ONLY works if you have ESPN3 already. My ISP doesn't have ESPN3 so this update for that is pretty useless.
tired.gif

no problem. yea it sucks i cant use espn3 as well stupid Time Warner

Originally Posted by sole vintage

tired.gif

no problem. yea it sucks i cant use espn3 as well stupid Time Warner
Guess you hadn't read this:
[h2]
[h2]We’re Launching ESPN3 and Streaming ESPN Online On October 25th[/h2]By:Jeff SimmermonCategories:Content DeliveryCool StuffFuture of the IndustryTV Everywhere

Forget about looking at pictures of your exes’ kids on Facebook. Forget about cat videos on YouTube and reruns on Hulu. What we are about to offer our customers under the beard of “TV Everywhere
[/h2]

Anybody else having problems with the update?

Mine gets to be almost finished, then I'm prompted with "Update Failed", and offered to try again. My connection tests fine.

Mine works fine.
Didn't even know there was going to be an update today. I'm liking the new look 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Mine works fine.
Didn't even know there was going to be an update today. I'm liking the new look 
pimp.gif
Had to reset my wireless router for whatever reason, then it worked.

Dashboard looks straight.

Anyone else having an issue viewing their "My Account" page on xbox.com, or via the xbox 360, under Account Mangement, "My Membership". I'm trying to turn auto renewal off. But I can't. I've also not been charged for my monthly fee.. It seems my account is lost or in limbo somehow

Yea. MS sent out a message on XBL saying they are having trouble with the page.

Back
Top Bottom