• Sea of Thieves

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Southpark 2

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Kingdom Hearts 3

Votes: 10 10.1%

• Total voters
I dunno man
8 year lifecycle of the 360/PS3 was a godsend to consumers. Look at what they were able to produce late in the gen with games like Last of Us and GTA V
The main thing holding most games back these days is imagination and familiarity with the programming, not processing power

These days, new tech every 5 years results in such minor improvements, and is usually just an added cost to the consumer, resulting in early Gen "lipstick on a pig" ie. boring, non-innovative games with slightly upgraded graphics. Developers haven't even maximized the current machines. Takes them a couple of years to figure it out, and as soon as they do "whoops! on to the next gen"
i stopped gaming from 2009-2012 because I was bored of video games at that point. So the 360 gen only lasted 4-5 years for me. We already have games that are pushing the hardware. Halo 5, forza horizon 2, supposedly gears 4, and witcher 3. All those games had to make some sort of compromise to be able to work as well as they do on xb1. Cd project red isn't going to get their next game to run at 1080p/60fps because the xb1 gen lasts longer. Console game graphics have always been a few steps behind what's capable on pc. Scorpio is meant is to address that trend. I can list 20 games that aren't possible or perform bad on 360. Mad max, dragon age 3, forza horizon 2, forza motoersport 5/6, ryse to name a few. Forza horizon 3 for instance will still run at 1080p/30fps. It's been 2 years since fh2 released, maybe they already squeezed all the power out of the xb1?

Idk what's holding games back, if that's even true. However VR requires a lot of horsepower. Without that horse power how does imagination even come into play? Would you want microsoft to release a $400 vr addon to your xb1, so your current xb1 is cabaple of playing vr games? That's exactly what playstation's doing.

This comic name kumail from silicon valley has this hilatious joke about video games.

Here's the vid. Also heavy rain spoilers

Just in case you didn't eatch it, the joke is that the game dev wants to make a compelling story, but the only graphics that are capable are pacman type graphics.

The devs now are too young to make compelling games..

Increased costs and expectations set by management play a larger role than age.

I would go as far as to say younger folks might bring "newer" ideas to the table but get shut down due to their position within the organization.

Last edited:
Don't the major games get film writers to write their scripts now?

Then just hire voice actors and get the devs to create the content that's mapped out in the script?

If that's the case then the Dev age wouldn't matter.

Or are you saying they're too young to develop compellingly sound games that are interesting / fun to play overall? Like gameplay and balance wise?

I see all of this but how come Kojima still beasts? And why is Miyazaki still beasting.

The dudes making games now who are young aren't good.

Name a game, excluding the witcher 3 which seems to be your answer to everything in life, I'll give you the last three years
i wouldn't know how to answer that question i think there are a ton of great games out but "answer to everything in life" isn't something i could judge anything by b. i think nowadays games are as diverse as they have ever been tho in terms of the variety especially in the indie game market 

i wouldn't know how to answer that question i think there are a ton of great games out but "answer to everything in life" isn't something i could judge anything by b. i think nowadays games are as diverse as they have ever been tho in terms of the variety especially in the indie game market 

I just said it cause it's the only game you ever bring up in here. I agree with you the witcher is amazing but I think it's an injustice to gamers when we only get about 4 games every five years that are that good. That's why I said to name another game in the past three years that was as good as it

I see all of this but how come Kojima still beasts? And why is Miyazaki still beasting.

The dudes making games now who are young aren't good.

The landscape in which business impacts video game development is much different now then when Kojima and Miyazaki were initially making their mark.

The landscape in which business impacts video game development is much different now then when Kojima and Miyazaki were initially making their mark.

Cool, but I'm not gonna accept that answer. $60 dollars of my money isn't chump change. I want quality games not a title that's been worked on and delayed and finally gets put out and needs about six updates to work properly.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying we don't pay pennies for the trash they put out.

I just said it cause it's the only game you ever bring up in here. I agree with you the witcher is amazing but I think it's an injustice to gamers when we only get about 4 games every five years that are that good. That's why I said to name another game in the past three years that was as good as it

Good in what sense?

An excellent story?
Value proposition to gamers?

What I look for in a shooter isnt identical to what I look for in an RPG

there have been others too tho. Fallout, Arkham Knight, Bloodborne, FH2, Rocket League, and some others that are very good. i dont understand what you mean by another game being as good as Witcher 3 because its pretty vague what you mean by it and judging the quality of one game based on a different one isn't a way to critique something 

Cool, but I'm not gonna accept that answer. $60 dollars of my money isn't chump change. I want quality games not a title that's been worked on and delayed and finally gets put out and needs about six updates to work properly.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying we don't pay pennies for the trash they put out.

The perceived value $60 has decreased; I actually advocate for a higher base price for more content.

NES cartridges were selling for $50 in the early 90s (Approx. $92 in 2016 Dollars)

N64 games often cost as between $60 and $70 in the late 90's (Approx. $86-$101 in 2016 Dollars)

This has to do more with the buying power of the $., increased costs, static prices and the desire for increased profits year over year. People are lazy but there are definitely a lot of external factors that come into play.

I do agree with you in the sense that I wish we had a new Golden Era of gaming; if Scorpio turns out the way I envision, then we might have something.

Last edited:
Put it like this, metal gear solid is probably the most solid game I've played on this gen. Why? The story felt like a movie at times, the gameplay was awesome in terms of movement, shooting, I felt like I had full control of the character on the screen. I want a game where if I'm shooting it feels like I'm playing a shooter... MGS does that, but it's not even a shooter.

Go out of your way to implement and perfect other genres in your game even if it isn't your genre. Isn't this why fallout started doing down sight shooting.

If your gonna put a car in batman make sure that joint drives like a damn car and the mechanics feel good. That tumbler trash was garbage.

The games now are giving us all of these things but not seeing it all the way through and it falls short of expectations, don't put something in your game if you can't see it all the way through.

The perceived value $60 has decreased; I actually advocate for a higher base price for more content.

NES cartridges were selling for $50 in the early 90s (Approx. $92 in 2016 Dollars)

N64 games often cost as between $60 and $70 in the late 90's (Approx. $86-$101 in 2016 Dollars)

This has to do more with the buying power of the $., increased costs, static prices and the desire for increased profits year over year. People are lazy but there are definitely a lot of external factors that come into play.

I do agree with you in the sense that I wish we had a new Golden Era of gaming; if Scorpio turns out the way I envision, then we might have something.

I def get this. I remember my mom paying $70 bucks for spawn on Super Nintendo..

If they wanna charge more for games fine, but at least gimme a game that I'm spending 20 mins loading on my Xbox that is the game you meant me to play. Not the game you put out because you knew you had 14 updates coming. If you wanna spend 4 years on a game cool, I don't mind that but gimme a AAA title not a game that you hope is gonna bring you AAA money by calling it a AAA title

Maybe it's just me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom