¹ 2008 Spring Football/Summer Workouts (updates) ©

Now these %!# clowns on Rivals are talking about 'Cro is not a Nole anymore', 'Cro was never a nole', 'Cro just used us to get to theleague' etc....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

These are the same MF'ers who was pumping Cro up to the heavens and saying how proud they were that he was a nole....

smh.gif
A bunch of freaking idiots....
laugh.gif

eek.gif
tonio went off on 'em....

yo i need a tre 4 check....

D. Nicholson......is he starting in the fall?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by FlyDaily

eek.gif
tonio went off on 'em....

yo i need a tre 4 check....

. Nicholson......is he starting in the fall?
nerd.gif

Yeah....He holding that MLB down.....
laugh.gif
@ FSU allowing these bums at my school to attend their Pro Day.
Thats what Im saying. 3/4 of them dudes ain't gonna make it to the league. If only the two best players showed up then there wouldn't bean issue.....But these _'s brought 12....
eek.gif
eek.gif

C'mon bruh....
smh.gif
smh.gif

Ain't like FSU/FAMU on the best of terms anyway....

I wonder how y'all feel about us using y'all school (the chicks) as a part of our recruiting pitch.....
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

FSU got FAMU that fat Nike Athletic contract a while back.
the students may not be on the best terms but the coaching staffs and administrators are
FAMU stay puttin dudes in the League, they may not be huge names but they keep some players on a NFL Roster especially OL.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

FSU got FAMU that fat Nike Athletic contract a while back.
the students may not be on the best terms but the coaching staffs and administrators are
FAMU stay puttin dudes in the League, they may not be huge names but they keep some players on a NFL Roster especially OL.

Yeah, I know. I should have been clearer.....

But what I don't understand is.....Why the coaches,etc allowed all these players to come over. I mean, FSU extended you a favor, and you show up w/ anOD amount of people??? Don't make a lot of sense to me. Chances are, the opportunity may not be extended for a while. There had to be a mixup incommuncation somewhere b/c I would like to think that the FAMU coaches wouldn't want to ruin there relationship w/ such a big, well known school.....

And to top it off....FSU is getting bad press off of this...And I can see it know where it may turn racial.....

And the press down there is already mad @ FSU for closing off spring practice.....

smh.gif

In high school, they called him ``the Eraser, Sean all-over-the-field Spence and Sean don't-run-my-way-no-more Spence.''

''I have a lot of names,'' said Spence, brought to you by the Miami Northwestern Bulls, the defending Class 6A state champions who also have provided the Miami Hurricanes with quarterback Jacory Harris, defensive tackle Marcus Forston and receiver Aldarius Johnson.

Spence, listed as 6-0 and 186 pounds but already up to 203, is the linebacker some describe as undersized, but with the smarts and big enough game to have earned him a first-team spring-practice spot on the outside.

This week, after taking 11 days off for spring break, coaches moved senior Glenn Cook -- still awaiting an expected NCAA approval for a sixth year of eligibility because of his previous foot injury -- from the middle to the strong side, junior Darryl Sharpton from the weak side to the middle, and newcomer Spence from the strong side to the weak side.

''They're just trying to get everybody experience,'' Cook said. ``It'll help us in the long run.''

On Wednesday, UM coach Randy Shannon described Spence as ``an electric player.''

''He's making a lot of tackles. He's got a knack for getting to the football and that's what he had in high school,'' Shannon said. ``Most of these guys don't come in big out of high school. [Jon] Vilma was very small; myself, I was small; and [linebackers] coach [Micheal] Barrow was small.''

In high school, Spence started 41 consecutive games. As a senior in 2007, he made more than 100 tackles, with two interceptions -- one for a touchdown.

''He's the best of the best,'' Barrow said of Spence. ``He's a playmaker. He gets to the ball, great instincts, very intelligent. He's a guy that has been acting like he's been here for years. He's never really been exposed to this, but he knows the game.''

Spence said ''picking up the system'' at UM ``has been a challenge. There are a lot of things thrown at you that you have to adjust to quick.''

''I need to read the offensive linemen, get my steps quicker -- little things,'' he said. ``It's a lot faster than high school. The O-linemen coming at you are 6-5, 300 pounds and they don't run like babies. I have to make sure I get out of the way and get where I need to be.''

Spence said the hardest Canes to bring down have been running backs Javarris James and Graig Cooper. He said the hardest-hitting linebacker is Sharpton.

``Very hard. He goes full speed, 110 percent every play. When he hits a guy, they feel it.''

Cook, who has changed his number from 55 to 3, said new coaches Barrow and defensive coordinator Bill Young have brought a fresh feel to the run defense.

''Coach Young has tweaked some of the man-on-man things we did with Coach Shannon's defense,'' Cook said. ``But a lot of concepts are the same. I think we'll do a little bit more blitzing, but just not as much man-to-man blitzing. More zone. A little bit more scheming, not as much staying in one thing. We're going to change it up. It's going to be fun.''

Sean Spence
pimp.gif

Don't be suprised to see Willie Hayward from FAMU get a chance to play in the NFL. Someone gotta represent FAMU.

Some pics from yesterday practice...

HE15MAN
2z5n15k.jpg

The New and Improved Harvin
2mm7rk5.jpg

B-Spikes (the best MLB in the state)
b7nwnc.jpg

Cam Newton
5y6br9.jpg

Deonte Thompson putting in some work
358qee1.jpg

Chris Rainey making boys run backwards
2u710r7.jpg

Moody and Rainey
laugh.gif

293zser.jpg

Originally Posted by FlaHustler1024

Some pics from yesterday practice...

The New and Improved Harvin
2mm7rk5.jpg
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

The little %@@#*% put on some muscle....Maybe its just the angle....But it looks like he is much bigger than last year...

indifferent.gif
smh.gif

Wonder if he lost any flexibility...Cause he really didn't need to get TOO much bigger....Just put on some good weight/muscle.....not 20 pounds though

Originally Posted by Kiss My Airs 33

Percy will be their starting RB by the end of the season. Watch.

smh.gif
smh.gif

Not cool.
Emmanuel Moody gonna be salty as hell....
roll.gif

I still don't understand why he went to UFaG....

There is No way UF lines up Harvin at RB in the backfield for more than a handful of looks evefry game, that would cut into his importance and versatility

2008 is a Big Year for Arian.

[h1]Fulmer says Berry could play offense[/h1]
With a secondary that returns six players who have started games, Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer said he would consider playing rising sophomore safety Eric Berry on offense.

However any such experiment would have to wait until after the Vols have installed first-year offensive coordinator Dave Clawson's new offense.

"I would say that we would get to some of that eventually," Fulmer said Tuesday. "That's not a priority right now. It was a recruiting promise, but more importantly I think he could impact our team in some ways."

Wide receiver Gerald Jones played that role at times last season, rushing eight times for 58 yards primarily when he lined up at quarterback.

Berry, who played quarterback in high school, recorded 222 yards on interception returns, a total that ranks second all-time in the SEC.

That kind of production is easy to notice.

"Gerald Jones did a pretty nice job," Fulmer said. "Maybe you do something with both of them. We've talked very little about that. Coach (John) Chavis is fine with it. Coach Clawson's fine with it.

"But you get a guy who has that kind of return yardage every time he's touched the football, we obviously want to get him the ball if we can."

For what it's worth, Berry wouldn't mind taking a few snaps on offense.

"I would say if it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't. I just want to focus on defense, but if he does pull me over on offense, that would be nice," Berry said. "But the way things are looking with Gerald Jones, if it's not broke don't fix it."

Forgoing Green: Fulmer said at least one of UT's three full scrimmages this spring will be full-contact for quarterbacks Jonathan Crompton, B.J. Coleman and Nick Stephens.

"All three of them have yet to completely prove themselves in this league, so we will definitely take the opportunity to have them play some live," Fulmer said.

Going without the green, non-contact jersey is just fine with Crompton.

"I do like that just because it gives you more feel for the game because things are happening fast, you have to make decisions quicker," Crompton said. "You know you can get hit. You're not sitting back there saying, 'Oh, they can't hit me, I'm going to take an extra half second.' I think that helps especially going into games."

And it also leaves a little less to the locker room imagination.

"That tends to get annoying," Crompton joked. "Our defense is like, 'Yeah, yeah, I got you.' But you didn't tackle me. We joke around about that all the time."

Breaking Down 'Backers: Tennessee's most compelling position battle on defense will likely be between Adam Myers-White and Nevin McKenzie at strongside linebacker.

Weakside linebacker Rico McCoy, UT's lone returning starter at linebacker, sees that battle as essentially a toss-up.

"Adam Myers-White and Nevin McKenzie, it's a toss up. I think they're both going to be playmakers," he said. "They're both big, fast guys and they can fly around. I'm looking forward to playing with those guys."

Rising senior Ellix Wilson is listed as the starter at middle linebacker.

Injury Report: Six players will not participate in spring drills because of injury.

Tailback Josh Hawkins (foot), defensive back Marsalous Johnson (knee), center Josh McNeil (knee), linebacker Shane Reveiz (heart), wide receiver Lucas Taylor (shoulder) and defensive back Brent Vinson (shoulder) will not participate in contact work. Additionally, defensive end Chris Walker will be limited early.

With McNeil out, guard Anthony Parker will spend spring practice working at center.

Returning Rogan: Former Fulton High School standout Dennis Rogan should have no trouble hanging onto his role as punt returner.

"When he went in, he changed our punt return team last year," Fulmer said.

Last season as a true freshman, Rogan averaged 9.7 yards per return on punts.

Fulmer said Lucas Taylor and Austin Rogers, both of whom have returned punts, could be options.

Fulmer said he'd also like to give Berry a look at returning punts as well as Vinson.

Rogan also averaged 29.5 yards per kickoff return, including the Vols' season long of 78 yards.

Holding: Bram Cannon and Farragut graduate Geoff Courtney will compete for the job as holder of extra points and field goals vacated by Casey Woods.

Some good pics on the UF Rivals site but whoever was writing the captions should just stop it. If I had to read "an unidentified player" substituedfor Tebow's name, 1 more time, I was going to kill myself. It wasn't funny nor clever. I would have liked it more if they would have said God instead.

For tmay:
Jerrod Johnson has been waiting.

Patiently.

In fact, he has been waiting longer than most people realize to be a full-time starting quarterback.

[table][tr][td]
616075.jpg
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Associated Press[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jerrod Johnson performed well in mop up duty during the 2007 season.[/td] [/tr][/table]Of his last five years playing football, Johnson has spent all but one season either starting at wide receiver, being the backup quarterback or doing both jobs for the price of one.

Nevermind the fact that Johnson is 6-foot-6, quick enough to play college basketball, can throw a ball through a wall and has tantalized A&M fans with brief flashes of greatness in high school All-Star games and mop up duty.

Nevermind that in his one year of being a starting quarterback at Humble High School, he was good enough to earn the Houston Touchdown Club Offensive Player of the Year.

For some reason, no matter how good he's been, he's always had someone ahead of him who was just a little older and a little more experienced.

The Aggies return most of their skill position players on offense from last year including quarterback Stephen McGee, who has compiled over 6,000 yards of total offense and a winning record as a two-year starter.

On the surface, that would appear to be enough to keep Johnson out of the starter's role one more year.

But maybe not this year.

New head coach Mike Sherman has declared all positions open for competition. He and offensive coordinator Nolan Cromwell are installing a pro-style offense vastly different from the spread attack that A&M ran the last three years.

It's an offense that neither McGee nor Johnson are familiar with. While that in and of itself doesn't appear to be a huge issue, it is.

McGee had shoulder surgery immediately after the Alamo Bowl and his status for spring practices is very much up in the air. Although McGee has won over A&M fans with his grit and determination, all McGee may be able to do is absorb the new offense from the sidelines.

In the meantime, Johnson will be getting a lot of snaps in practice, probably more than he's ever had.

He'll be working with receivers such as Pierre Brown and Jeff Fuller on West Coast routes such as slants where timing is at a premium. He'll be working on going through progressions and reading defenses in a different manner than what he or any other quarterback on the roster is used to.

Most importantly, he'll get a chance to show off the skills that have teased and tantalized fans and teammates during the last two years in limited appearances, such as the scramble and throw for a touchdown that Johnson had to Martellus Bennett at the end of the Miami game last season.

In addition, the offense should play to Johnson's strengths. It will focus on play action passing down the field, something Johnson does well (he averaged nearly 15 yards per completion his senior year in high school and nearly 20 yards per completion in the 2006 THSCA All-Star game).

Johnson has embraced the expectations to an extent. He served as a host to a number of blue chip official visitors during the past recruiting season. At A&M's first two junior days in 2008, he was part of a group of players that answered questions from prospects and their families.

For once, it seems like that the time for Johnson is now. And for Johnson, it probably couldn't come soon enough.

Percy WILL NOT be the starting running back. I'm not saying he's not going to get any carries at all but Moody or Williamsis going to start.

Mon Williams was going to starting last year until he torn his ACL. I would have been happy with anybody else being running back last year instead of KestahnMoore
sick.gif

Some good pics on the UF Rivals site but whoever was writing the captions should just stop it. If I had to read "an unidentified player" substitued for Tebow's name, 1 more time, I was going to kill myself. It wasn't funny nor clever. I would have liked it more if they would have said God instead.
laugh.gif
They were acting like he's our secret weapon
laugh.gif

GUNNA

I thought Nevin McKenzie was a safety? Is Vinson still on defense or he went back to the O?

Nevin moved to LB after the Cal Game.
Dude is SICK at OLB with his Speed.
He 3 big plays/big stick award/ and forced Fumble vs LSU in the SEC Title Game.

laugh.gif
I hate the fact they turned Vinson into a CB but he's there in the depth chart this spring. He's a great athlete but he has no instincts.

Damn. My buddies roommate had a membership to Rivals and now his credit card expired so the account might be over with. I really hope it isn't because thatwas saving me some money. I am really upset at this. The thing is, he didn't know I had the account info so I can't call him and tell him to update it.Oh well, scout is much better for Michigan stuff anyways.

Carlos Brown has a broken finger and is out for the rest of the spring. That means he and Grady are out so Horn is the backup RB and 1st slot WR.

OLine is THIN. As in depth wise. I think another one just left the team and have a feeling it is McAvoy. 2 or 3 true frosh might be in the 2 deep this year. Ihope they are ready.

Marrell Evans still running with 1st group of LBs. Kid is 6-3 240lbs now.

Defense is dominating the offense in scrimmages.

Knowshon doin the Heisman on them #$$!, and rightfully so.
pimp.gif

We got the Heisman and the #1 Pick in the Draft sewed up for the next 2 years.

March 14, 2008

Brian Welch
WVSports.com Staff

Talk about it in The Blue Lot
MORGANTOWN--On a drizzly Friday afternoon in Morgantown, the West Virginia University football team officially kicked off the Bill Stewart era with its first spring practice of 2008 at Milan Puskar Stadium. Despite the new regime, the familiar sounds of whistles blowing, coaches yelling and players chattering filled the air as the Mountaineers returned to action.

"It was such an impressive first practice," a typically enthusiastic Stewart said afterward. "I know we were only in shorts, but they were really flying around out there."

Stewart ran his players through the typical assortment of non-contact drills in what was a helmet-only session. Among the sights were offensive lineman hitting the blocking sleds and perfecting their hand-punching technique for pass blocking, the linebackers practicing their pass coverage drops, and the wide receivers and defensive backs squaring off in one-one-one passing drills. Stewart placed a particular emphasis on the passing game, an area which he hopes to turn to more often than his predecessor, Rich Rodriguez.

"We probably went with a 60-40 pass to run ratio today just to stress the passing game. We worked a lot on deep balls and crossing routes, and we also went underneath quite a few times and ran a few outside screens. Tito (Gonzales) made a nice catch and was headed for the end zone, but he fell down. I said, 'Tito, you need to be on national television to score,'" joked Stewart in reference to Gonzales' touchdown catches in the 2007 Gator Bowl and 2008 Fiesta Bowl.

The extended passing drills also afforded Stewart an extended look at potential backups to incumbent starting quarterback Pat White. With last season's backup, junior Jarrett Brown, doing his part as a reserve on the WVU basketball team, freshmen signal callers Bradley Starks and Charlie Russell began spring practice dueling for the number two spot behind center.

"This is colossal for Bradley and Charlie because Jarrett Brown isn't here," Stewart said. "They're going for number two. That's pretty big for a couple of freshmen. I'd like for (WVU basketball coach Bob) Huggins to take about 20 more of my guys and run their guts out three hours a day. Bobby thinks I'm doing him a favor, but he's doing me a favor by getting Jarrett's big butt in shape."

Stewart was also impressed by what he saw on the defensive side of the ball.

"I saw some good stuff on defense. (Linebacker) Mortty Ivy was flying around. Our secondary was impressive. (Defensive end) Zac Cooper was like a bullet coming off that edge. Reed Williams is out, so it's important to see what some of these young linebackers can do."

The only thing that seemed to be missing from Friday's practice was the incessant screaming that was a hallmark of Rodriguez's tenure.

"I heard a lot of spirited coaching going on, but just a little yelling. Next week is holy week, so we decided to start it a little early," Stewart said with a wink.

NOTES:

- Wide receiver Dorrell Jalloh was excused from the first day of practice to travel to Boston as a requirement for a communications class in which he is currently enrolled. "Class comes first. It's spring, so I don't mind as much," Stewart said.

- Stewart said that tailback Noel Devine has picked up right where he left off in the Fiesta Bowl victory over Oklahoma in January. "Noel was just quick as lighting. Guys were falling down just trying to touch him. It was like two-hand touch out there, and Noel was winning."

- The Mountaineers take the field again tomorrow morning for their second official practice of the spring.

March 10, 2008

Jim Laise
WVSports.com Senior Writer

Talk about it in The Blue Lot
MORGANTOWN--When you lose eights starters several key back-ups on defense, several situations occur:

+You recruit more defensive players, which the West Virginia staff did this off-season. In a class of 25 signees, 15 play on that side of the ball.

+Also redshirts and underclassmen on the 2007 Fiesta Bowl championship roster get reviews and, in some cases, fresh looks. Such will be the case at Camp Mountaineer as spring football starts at 4 p.m. a week from Friday.

"We lost a ton of players defensively. A lot of times new coaches see things in players on the roster you have that maybe somebody else didn't. Also, the guys you have are unbiased about new coaches who may be coming in. But frankly, we haven't seen a lot of some of the younger ones either," said Rivals defensive coordinator/linebackers Jeff Casteel.

Gone from the 11-2 overall, 5-2 Big East co-champion are spur Eric Wicks, cornerbacks Vaughn Rivers, Larry Williams, and Antonio Lewis; free safety Ryan Mundy; strongside linebacker Marc Magro, defensive tackle Keilen +#!*%, and defensive end Johnny Dingle.

That group allowed only six 100-yard rushers in its last 38 games. WVU is 43-1 since 2002 when many of that group helped the Mountaineers win the turnover battle.

WVU allowed only 18 points in 13 games; an average 113 yards rushing; and 189 passing. The group of eight helped the team intercept 16 passes, recover 18 fumbles, and total 40 sacks.

That's a lot of numbers.

Casteel and his staff, which includes hold-over Bill Kirelawich, the defensive line coach; assistant head coach/safeties Steve Dunlap, and cornerbacks coach David Lockwood, have decided to keep rising junior Zac Cooper at rush end, the position he played in the Fiesta Bowl. He spent the previous 12 games at weakside linebacker. Rising redshirt junior athlete Nate Sowers, who moved to free safety midway through last season, will remain there behind junior to be Franchot (Boogie) Allen.

Allen slides into Mundy's old starting position. Cooper, 6-3, 225, will occupy Dingle's spot. Behind him are listed rising redshirt freshman Julian Miller and junior Larry Ford, who enrolled at mid-term after a junior college career.

The staff also wants to take a look at rising sophomore Brantwon Bowser, another J.C. youngster, who is listed behind rising redshirt junior Kent Richardson at field corner.

Rising sophomore Pat Lazear will move into Magro's role; Anthony Leonard, a rising redshirt-sophomore, will get first team looks at middle linebacker. Rising senior MLB Reed Williams is out for the spring recuperating from shoulder surgery.

Sidney Glover, a sophomore, will fill into Wicks' spot with redshirt sophomore Justin Blankenship behind him.

Richardson and boundary corner Ellis Lankster shift into the spots which former corners Vaughn, Williams, and Lewis shared.

"We're down (eight starting) scholarships over there which is why we signed so many defensive players to scholarships in February," Casteel said.

"This staff-for the most part--they don't know those guys. You have young guys coming up; kids who can play. You have new position coaches at some of the spots. Some kids respond well to this. They blossom under the new guy who might decide 'he's going to play," said Dwight Wallace, a former Don Nehlen assistant head coach and veteran analyst on the MSN broadcasts.

Gray-shirt freshman nose tackle Junius Lewis and redshirt junior Archie Sims at strongside linebacker also are listed on the preliminary depth chart, released last Wednesday by the sports communications staff.

The annual NFL Pro Day comes to the Caperton Indoor Practice Facility on Thursday, March 13, the day before spring ball begins. Administrators, coaches and scouts representing every NFL team will combine former Mountaineers, including but not limited to Darius Reynaud, Owen Schmitt, Adam Bednarik, Wicks, Rivers, Williams, Lewis, Magro, and +#!*%. Steve Slaton, Mundy and Dingle may also join their class. . . . Schmitt, Reynaud, Slaton, and Dingle worked out at the Feb. 18-26 NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. In the key 40-yard dash, Schmitt's average time was 4.7 seconds; Reynaud's was 4.47, Slaton's was 4.44, and Dingle's was 4.86. They were invited to the combine along with 333 eligible college players. About 230 of this group is expected to be drafted. . . . The NFL draft occurs April 26-27 in New York City.

West Virginia Depth Chart
Defense
(classes reflect football eligibility)
DT Scooter Berry (rSo.), Doug Slavonic (rSr.), Joe Rhein (rFr.)
NT Chris Neild (rSo.), Josh Taylor (rFr.), Lewis (Fr.)
DE Zac Cooper (rJr.), Julian Miller, rFr.), Larry Ford (Jr.)
SLB Pat Lazear (So.), Archie Sims (rJr.)
MLB Reed Williams (injured), Leonard (rSo.)
WLB Mortty Ivy (rSr.), J.T. Thomas (rSo.)
CB Richardson (rJr.), Bowser (So.)
SS Glover (So.), Blankenship (rSo.)
FS Allen (Jr.), Sowers (rJr.)
BS Quinton Andrews (rJr.), Charles Pugh (Sr.)
CB Ellis Lankster (Jr.), Guesly Dervil (Jr.)
P Pat McAfee (Sr.), Scott Kozlowski (Sr.)
LSN Adam Hughes (rSr.), Cody Nutter (rFr.)
PR TBD

Heisman? Eh if u gonna dream, dream big

NoShow goin in the draft regardless. His people are POOR. He gonna put food on the table

Letting him field punts is a bad idea. He IS UGAs only chance at a good season. He needs to be healthy

Back
Top Bottom