⚽️The Footy Thread: Lock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaza soccer team wins Palestine Cup despite Israeli restrictions
With 10 of its players prohibited by Israel from traveling to West Bank match, Shabab Rafah still bests Hebron’s Ahly al-Khalil

HEBRON, West Bank — Shabab Rafah became the first Gazan team to win soccer’s Palestine Cup in more than a decade Friday, despite Israeli restrictions keeping 10 of its players off the pitch.

Rafah and Ahly al-Khalil from the West Bank city of Hebron which hosted the game ended the second leg in a 0-0 tie, but Rafah’s 2-0 first leg lead meant it took the title.

The Gazan club had to field a weakened side, with only 15 of its 25 members of the playing squad given Israeli permits to travel to the West Bank from the Gaza Strip.

Rafah director Khaled Kweik told AFP it was the first time the team had ever won the cup, calling it a “historic” victory.

“We were harassed as we entered the West Bank and the Israelis banned 10 players from entering,” he said after the final whistle.

“But the rest of the players were able to protect the draw and take the title.”

The West Bank and Gaza are separated by Israel, and Palestinians looking to travel between the two must apply for Israeli permits. Hamas, an Islamist terror group which seeks the elimination of Israel, runs Gaza.

Ahly won the cup in 2015 and 2016, but its home advantage in this year’s second leg was not enough to see it overturn the two-goal deficit.

The annual fixture pits the winners of separate cup competitions in Gaza and the West Bank over a two-leg final — with one game in Gaza and one game in the West Bank.

The cup did not take place for 15 years largely over problems with Israeli permits, but resumed in 2015 after world soccer body FIFA intervened.

On Thursday, Shabab announced that 10 of their players had been prevented from entering Israel through the Erez border crossing with Gaza.

The Coordination for Government Activities in the Territories, the Defense Ministry agency responsible for civilian affairs in the West Bank and at the Gaza border crossings, said the ban was for “security reasons” compounded by a late submission of paperwork.

Times of Israel staff contributed to this report.

Neymar can't play until week 3. What the ****

*rages*

Neymar needs La Liga to send his International Transfer Certificate to the French League but according to Le Parisien, they have still not complied.

Without the papers PSG cannot register the player with Ligue 1 and he can’t play.

That's some ****boy ****

Ready to see United get washed later :pimp:

Hopefully Bale doesn't play so we can snatch him up before the window is over :lol:

La Liga's been acting like a scorned ex ever since the move :lol:

Ready to see United get washed later :pimp:

Hopefully Bale doesn't play so we can snatch him up before the window is over :lol:

No Bailly,Rocco or Jones...lowkey expecting a Ronnie hatty :lol::sick:

Just hope they can make it interesting

Nah fellas. United gonna pull out the victory.

I'm excited to see what Lindelof has to offer and how Mou is going to set up, being that Matic is fit and ready.

I really believe that Pogba is going to do his thing this game and get on the right track for the upcoming PL season.

My only hesitation going into the game is the LW. Is Martial gonna start? If he does, is he going to perform to the level necessary to compete on the highest levels?

I find it so weird that Mou is talking about Bale, who's a Real player, but just last week didn't want to mention players who were with other teams....:lol: #TrollGawd

La Liga looking a scorned lover right now :smh::lol::lol:

Honestly don't see Coutinho leaving. I feel like the press/Barcelona is putting out false news to pressure Liverpool into selling.

united can steal a victory
madrid's preseason was unimpressive. they seem to still be on a hangover..

they will turn the switch on today...but i fully expect mou to pull out the bus and maybe catch madrid on the counter.

mourinho acting like a sidechick trying to get bale to leave his happy home

My only hesitation going into the game is the LW. Is Martial gonna start? If he does, is he going to perform to the level necessary to compete on the highest levels?

Tone's my guy but this is his spot to lose. I hope he shows up on the pitch. I also want Rashford to start as well.

Supposedly Coutinho and Klopp had a training ground bust up...

This seems to be becoming a trend now when dudes are trying to force a move :rofl:

Last edited:
Supposedly Coutinho and Klopp had a training ground just up...

This seems to be becoming a trend now when dudes are trying to force a move :rofl:

Damn. That's gotta be hard for a Pool fan. Early in the summer they were certain he wasn't leaving, and now for all these rumors to be be flying around.

I would still rather him stay in the PL, even if it's with Pool.

It all sounds so coordinated so I could definitely see Barca feeding the press stuff to unsettle dude and really make him think long and hard about leaving but 'Pool still has most of the leverage right now. They can try to fleece Barca for most of that Neymar $ or just refuse to sell outright

Nah fellas. United gonna pull out the victory.

I'm excited to see what Lindelof has to offer and how Mou is going to set up, being that Matic is fit and ready.

I really believe that Pogba is going to do his thing this game and get on the right track for the upcoming PL season.

I find it so weird that Mou is talking about Bale, who's a Real player, but just last week didn't want to mention players who were with other teams....:lol: #TrollGawd

La Liga looking a scorned lover right now :smh::lol::lol:
Watch the Fro score the winning header :smokin:lol:

I hope Liverpool didn't cut them any deals.

I'd go at Barca's freshly lined pockets.

And his registration papers better get lost in the mail. He better not be eligible to play for 3 weeks b.

IMG_2744.jpg
Is it for real this time though?

€90M, not £90M?! There must have been a dustup if Klopp really let him go that cheap knowing Barca has the war chest right now.

Liverpool water u dewing bruh.

I had high expectations for both Liverpool and Chelsea after last season, but they both goofed this transfer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom