09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

[h2]Hofstra dropping football program[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com
Archive

Hofstra University is dropping its football team, citing high costs and low interest from the college community.

The university, which has fielded a football team for the last 69 years, told its coaching staff Thursday morning that it is dropping the sport, sources told ESPN.com.

The Pride, which has competed in the NCAA's Football Championship Subdivision since 1991, is the second member of the Colonial Athletic Association to drop its football program in the last 10 days. Northeastern University in Boston announced it was dropping its football program after 74 seasons on Nov. 23.

In a statement obtained by The Associated Press on Thursday, university president Stuart Rabinowitz says "the choice was painful but clear."

He says factors include the cost of running the football program and the team's inability to generate significant interest, financial support or attendance.

The decision follows a two-year review of sports spending at Hofstra. Rabinowitz says there are no plans to cut any other sports at the Long Island school.

Hofstra has an enrollment of 12,400 students and is located in Hempstead, N.Y., on Long Island.

School officials told ESPN.com that athletics director Jack Hayes and football coach Dave Cohen were unavailable for comment Thursday morning.

CAA commissioner Thomas Yeager was unavailable for comment, conference spokesman Scott Meyer said.

The Pride went 5-6 this past season, tying for third with a 3-5 record in the CAA North. Hofstra has produced five NFL draft picks since 1991, including New Orleans Saints star receiver Marques Colston and Pittsburgh Steelers tackle Willie Colon. Former Pride quarterback Giovanni Carmazzi was a third-round choice of the San Francisco 49ers in 2000, and former New York Jets receiver Wayne Chrebet played there.

Mark Schlabach covers college football for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

Word going around Jayhawk nation that a Presser is scheduled for 4:00pm central to announce the firing of Mark Mangino. There is a rumor floating that LewPerkins (KU AD) has been in communication with Jim Harbaugh about the position already.

Just telling you what I've heard.

I dont think Harbaugh is leaving Stanford yet

and I'd think he'd jump at a NFL job(Raiders?)

Originally Posted by Lazy B

ESPN.com
Archive

Hofstra University is dropping its football team, citing high costs and low interest from the college community.

The university, which has fielded a football team for the last 69 years, told its coaching staff Thursday morning that it is dropping the sport, sources told ESPN.com.

The Pride, which has competed in the NCAA's Football Championship Subdivision since 1991, is the second member of the Colonial Athletic Association to drop its football program in the last 10 days. Northeastern University in Boston announced it was dropping its football program after 74 seasons on Nov. 23.

In a statement obtained by The Associated Press on Thursday, university president Stuart Rabinowitz says "the choice was painful but clear."

He says factors include the cost of running the football program and the team's inability to generate significant interest, financial support or attendance.

The decision follows a two-year review of sports spending at Hofstra. Rabinowitz says there are no plans to cut any other sports at the Long Island school.

Hofstra has an enrollment of 12,400 students and is located in Hempstead, N.Y., on Long Island.

School officials told ESPN.com that athletics director Jack Hayes and football coach Dave Cohen were unavailable for comment Thursday morning.

CAA commissioner Thomas Yeager was unavailable for comment, conference spokesman Scott Meyer said.

The Pride went 5-6 this past season, tying for third with a 3-5 record in the CAA North. Hofstra has produced five NFL draft picks since 1991, including New Orleans Saints star receiver Marques Colston and Pittsburgh Steelers tackle Willie Colon. Former Pride quarterback Giovanni Carmazzi was a third-round choice of the San Francisco 49ers in 2000, and former New York Jets receiver Wayne Chrebet played there.

Mark Schlabach covers college football for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

frown.gif
and now all we have is LIU and stony brook...

Bob Davie was on ESPN Radio saying how ND is not an elite job. how its been a 7-5 job for the last 15 yrs...

I wish there was some sort of transcript or article online cus I didnt catch it all.

Davie probably still salty
laugh.gif
but he's right. It's not anymore.

Top 10 jobs off the top of my head right now (in no order):

USC
UF
LSU
Bama
Texas
OU
Ohio St.
Michigan
Penn St.
Miami/FSU (maybe)

ND just has not been relevant in the college landscape for a good while now, I don't know if it's a talent issue, cause I think they have pretty goodrecruiting classes, but for some reason they don't produce on the field...save for maybe Miami/FSU now, I'm pretty sure every other one of thoseprograms would be more attractive from a football standpoint if you aren't taking into consideration the upteenth millions ND can offer.

Mamba MVP wrote:
Top 10 jobs off the top of my head right now (in no order):

USC
UF
LSU
Bama
Texas
OU
Ohio St.
Michigan
Penn St.
Miami/FSU (maybe)
First nine are pretty on point, I think...

Throw Tennessee in that last spot ahead of UM and FSU...

dreClark wrote:
I PERSONALLY think the #1 coaching job in college football is Texas.

Texas, USC, or Florida...

Miami is not a top 10 job.
laugh.gif

There's a reason a bunch of other coaches passed up the job and Randy Shannon got hired.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nako XL

ESPN.com
Archive

frown.gif

My dude transferred from Cuse to Hofstra so that he could play this past spring and they do this. I can't imagine how he feels about thisright now.

Yeah I was thinking about throwing Tennessee in there, I just was thinking of in the built in recruiting base that FSU and Miami have with all the Floridakids. Vols have been more successful recently so I guess that puts them ahead. 9 outta 10 ain't bad
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nako XL

ESPN.com
Archive

frown.gif
My dude transferred from Cuse to Hofstra so that he could play this past spring and they do this. I can't imagine how he feels about this right now.

It's sad, but I'm not surprised....the school itself is a dump.

Originally Posted by Chester the Cheetah

Originally Posted by dreClark

Orly?

Biggest program in the most talent rich state.

It is all relative to year, though. Miami was ahead of Florida in the earlier part of the decade, now Florida is ahead of Miami.

Word was Hofstra sold exactly 172 season tickets...

FCS football in northern states that only give a %$$% about basketball, hockey, and lacrosse is a losing battle in these times.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by Chester the Cheetah

Originally Posted by dreClark

Orly?
Biggest program in the 2nd most talent rich state.
*fixed*

And that's precisely my reason.

UT usually as their recruiting classes locked up (for the most part) like almost a year in advance of NSD.

sick.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs

Word going around Jayhawk nation that a Presser is scheduled for 4:00pm central to announce the firing of Mark Mangino. There is a rumor floating that Lew Perkins (KU AD) has been in communication with Jim Harbaugh about the position already.

Just telling you what I've heard.
Add Turner Gill.

Wow, I hadn't seen this yet.
Pathetic. Cut that idiot off the team.
mad.gif
indifferent.gif

Florida State is a mess.

Edit:
I just read your posts Dre, but still, the play was going on and the OL dude just sat there...no excuse for that IMO.

Back
Top Bottom