14 Dead, 50 Hurt In Batman Movie Shooting

I don't want to keep arguing but if you're going to chastise all the people who are Monday-Morning-QBs over this shooting, then you might as well chastise any sort of analysis of the event in the first place.

All i'm saying is that while I understand your criticism and agree with most of it, that him running away REMOVES him from the conversation entirely.

I agree, everyone is always looking for a "hero" and that talk is most definitely cheap but you can't compare someone who says what they would have done to an example of someone who not only didn't care about his significant other and children, he completely freaked out and drove away...IN THE CAR HIS FAMILY CAME IN. 

I mean in no scenario would acting like that man did ever come up.

I'm not even going to argue about gender roles or societal expectations, but come on man. You can't be surprised people are coming at you for even conflating a slight form of association to that guy with your otherwise legitimate argument. 

I don't like the mental-masturbation of just ruminating over this because honestly, it doesn't even personally affect me, but the fact of the matter is that we all would freak out. We all would do stupid and irrational things. But who could imagine someone would entirely abandon his family? Not just get separated from them, but complete removal from the premises. 

I think you have an otherwise valid point though. Most of this analysis is pointless. No amount of training could ready you for something like that. 
I don't think it's wrong to discuss this event at all after it took place and therefore I definitely don't think I'm a hypocrite. But I DO most definitely think that the focus of discussion is way off: People are discussing WAY too much about what to do, should be done or should've been done when something like this happens. IMHO, they should be discussing what to do to prevent something like this from happening in the first place. Even if everyone in the theater was armed, which for pro gun people would've been the ideal situation, this guy would still manage to hit several people before someone armed in the theater managed to take him out, if they themselves wouldn't hit some of the innocent people in all the chaos. That is certainly more than 0 dead and 0 wounded if this didn't happen in the first place. You can say "there will always be crazy people doing crazy things", but how come stuff like this happens in the U.S. way more than everywhere else. There is definitely a problem here that needs to be addressed.
You really think stuff like this happens in the US more than elsewhere?

Have you ever heard of the Middle East? The Balkans? Chechnya? South Asia? 

This shouldn't be a pissing contest but its PRETTY obvious that this isnt only a US thing. 

maybe its reaching.. but have you guys seen the "homies still" video by lil wayne (released 3 days before the shooting ) . there is a scene where he (lil wayne) is in a theater and in behind him in the seating there are 12 skeletons. reaching? maybe . creepy ? yes
Lets go a step further then.

Armed with that vague information, how would you have reacted, had you known this before hand?

I mean thats kinda why some conspiracies poison the well for other very plausible conspiracies to actually get exposed. Stuff like this is why the word conspiracy is so loaded. Some people hear it and turn their brains off and start reading off the list of pre-planned responses from people who've trained them to dislike the word instead of actually giving it some time to be understood. 

You're able to make post hoc statements but what stopped you from getting to this conclusion in the first place?

Definitely Putty.
Like Steelo said, The GIF's gave it away.

Yup. The post count after just joining a few days ago gives it away too. Dude will be at 1000 in no time.

Looking forward to the next banishment, because we all know it'll happen eventually.

thoughts?

Terrible reach.

For starters, he WAS a top student who graduated with honors. They're not just saying that about him because he's white, they're saying it because it's true. And nobody's saying he's only a "suspect" for now; people universally think of him as guilty and I don't see anything but people calling him a sick/evil individual and wishing bad things upon him. Who have you seen coddling him/giving preferential treatment or making excuses for him because he's white?

Lastly he was wearing all kinds of protective equipment and a gas mask while he carried out all of this, and had just got done shooting dozens of people. You really think that a) the police could even tell what race he was when his entire body was obscured? and b) they would give two ***** whether he was black, white, blue, or green when he just used heavy arms to massacre all those people? Bottom line if he had not surrendered voluntarily without incident it would have been a firefight no matter what race he was. Come on. You really think police are gonna arrive at the scene and make a special effort to keep him alive just because he's white?

Let's keep the attention where it's deserved and quite grasping for straws. Weak attempts to start racial discussion where it's hardly warranted don't really help anybody after something as tragic as this.

I agree that they have no business being at a midnight showing.
babies will be crying, kid needs to use the bathroom, they don't have the attention span to go to a 3 hour movie, more of a chance for an argument or fight to happen.
but a crazy nut job going on a shooting spree isn't something you rationally think would happen. My immediate reaction was "how the **** you bring a baby to a midnight showing", but at the end of the day, it isn't their fault that this happened. it's just a sad, tragic event.
What infuriated me even more was reading Jamie Rohrs' explanation as to why he brought his kids to the theater. Not verbatim, but he said something along the lines about how the oldest (4 years old) was a big Batman fan.

There are a number of different ways you can go off of that statement. First of all, kids like A LOT of things....but you have to be the parent and make choices for them because they can't often distinguish right from wrong or appropriate vs. inappropriate. You're raising a child, you need to help set a good example. If my daughter has an interest in the military, I'm not going to get Act of Valor off of Netflix for her to watch because I think she'd enjoy it. It's just common sense. I don't understand what goes through people's heads at times.

I'm rambling on, but I agree with what you said about a shooting spree isn't something that you think would happen when going to the movies.
That explanation was complete BS.

You mean to tell me that a 4 year old comprehends whats on that screen and the pace of action?

Thats a complete lie.

I'm more insulted that he'd go on TV even after all of that. Are you looking for public sympathy? Are you seeking attention? Whats the point? You're already seen as a coward. 

In all honesty, I wish death on no one but the amount of guilt and shame he's about to incur might make me watch him more closely. I wouldn't be surprised if he hurts himself or others after this. 

Lets be honest here. If his gf and kids would have died, imagine the story then.
I haven't seen the movie yet, I have seen the first two but I think we're forgetting here at the end of the day...

It's Batman. The same Batman that has cartoons, branded birthday party stuff, etc. What's wrong with kids being fans of superheroes?

I saw the Hulk and Spiderman movies from the Early 2000's as a little kid. Little older than 4 but some dude could have came in throwing explosives and **** calling himself the Green Goblin. It's a superhero movie at the end of the day.

Apparently the FBI is slacking. Once for a family get together we bought 2000-3000 rounds and got a phone call where we had to explain why we were buying so much ammo, and that was pre-9/11 with all of the fear mongering that came afterwards.

Nobody notices when one individual cops 6000 rounds of ammo and a AR-15, but meanwhile in NYC the police are stopping and frisking people in search of handguns, and only finding $10 bags of weed

How effective.

Nobody notices when one individual cops 6000 rounds of ammo and a AR-15, but meanwhile in NYC the police are stopping and frisking people in search of handguns, and only finding $10 bags of weed
How effective.

EXACTLY. How does that much ammo and swat gear slip pass anyone is beyond me. If you type in certain words, aren't you automatically put on a surveillance list? Real question here.

^ I'm not questioning, but I have always been interested. Anyone got a link to read about ish like that?
Certain words/phrases over the internet/phone and they start monitoring your activity
Seems unreal, but I'm sure there's some truth to it

EXACTLY. How does that much ammo and swat gear slip pass anyone is beyond me. If you type in certain words, aren't you automatically put on a surveillance list? Real question here.
BOMB GUN OBAMA AL QAEDA TALIBAN JEREMY LIN KKK SARAH PALIN MILITIA TERROR AIRPLANE

That said, these situation always bring out so much hindsight quarterbacking. I work with dudes who shoot for hobby and one of them literally has so many guns, he has a whole wing of his house for them. I guarantee he has more than 6000 rds and I have seen pics of some of his collection, it's bigger than TI's, considerably. It's not hard to get like people assume it is or should be. Neither of them are a threat to do anything from what I can see, but say they snap and do. Same thing, everybody will be like, "OMG how could we not have seen this coming, the signs were there."

The noble shooter theory is ridiculous too. I saw the Florida convenient store thing and that's totally different and not even really noble in that case.You don't want or need tons of civilians trying to be vigilantes shooting off in a dark theatre filled with tear gas. The idea that the Joker dude would bust in and say I'm bout to kill everybody, and some dude in the front row just stands up and calmly pops him, everyone claps, the danger is gone, and we continue on with our lives in something right out of a movie. It'd more than likely end up with nobody doing anything, or everybody shooting at everybody, not really knowing who the initiator is, who is the responding hero shooters; police are trained on this sort of thing and even they have guidelines on when they should and shouldn't fire on a single assailant, same with the Military

I haven't seen the movie yet, I have seen the first two but I think we're forgetting here at the end of the day...

It's Batman. The same Batman that has cartoons, branded birthday party stuff, etc. What's wrong with kids being fans of superheroes?

I saw the Hulk and Spiderman movies from the Early 2000's as a little kid. Little older than 4 but some dude could have came in throwing explosives and **** calling himself the Green Goblin. It's a superhero movie at the end of the day.

Being a fan of batman is one thing (when you are between 4-6 years old)...SEEING TKDR is inappropriate. I don't even know how you could think otherwise. It's irresponsible parenting to let your children go to a midnight screening of the movie.

The people talking about why would you bring a 4 month old to a movie? It's basically the same as people who blame a girl being raped because she was dressed slutty.

No. way off.

real life...

fact... thats a totally different situation...

bruh... if there was a baby at a a movie and it cried... I WOULD GO OFF... then that would just lead to a fight...

not only that... movie theaters are too loud for a baby... dumb parents

"As I was sitting down to get my seat, I noticed that a person came up to the front row, the front right, sat down, and as credits were going, it looked like he got a phone call. He went out toward the emergency exit doorway, which I thought was unusual to take a phone call. And it seemed like he probably pried it open, or probably did not let it latch all the way. As soon as the movie started, somebody came in, all black, gas mask, armor, and threw a gas can into the audience, and it went off, and then there were gunshots that took place."

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/25...one-let-gunman-inside-Colorado-movie-theater-

I don't understand harping on the fact the parents brought their young children out to the theater.

Whether or not they wanted to wait for a sitter or whatever, they should have been able to take their children

out and return home in one piece.

You might think they brought their children to an inappropriate movie

but who's to say some crazed lunatic wouldn't do the same with a Disney flick playing on the screen?

Last edited:
Somewhat off topic but how did that dude leave his baby in there, drive away, and then call to see if they were alive?

What I don't get is his behavior following the incident. It isn't consistent with him blazing up the place, going quietly, AND telling police about his crib. Something ain't adding up.

I don't understand harping on the fact the parents brought their young children out to the theater.
Whether or not they wanted to wait for a sitter or whatever, they should have been able to take their children
out and return home in one piece.
You might think they brought their children to an inappropriate movie
but who's to say some crazed lunatic wouldn't do the same with a Disney flick playing on the screen?

They're free to do as they like...doesn't take away from the fact that it was idiotic. God forbid someone shot up a theater full of people watching a Disney film. However, NO ONE would question why kids were there.

^It's not idiotic or questionable.  They took their children to a movie theater like families do every day.  

Not a bar or some place where children undoubtedly shouldn't be...

Back
Top Bottom