150 lbs black belt vs. 250 lbs body builder

"Someone with only a year of training in boxing and wrestling could easily defeat a martial artist of twenty years experience."
--Bruce Lee

hmm boxing and wrestling. sound familiar? oh yeah it's what we see today in the UFC/MMA. bruce lee was the original mixed martial artist because his philosophy was to use what works and to discard what doesnt. dude was ahead of his time. he saw through countless non-sense in traditional martial arts.

Bruce Lee did in fact say that. But not in that context. He said it in the context that the "Martial Arts" is a joke and is not real street fighting. And he wasn't referring to wrestling; he was referring to Jiu Jitsu. Because that's what Jiu Jitsu is: grappling.

Last edited:
Bruce Lee did in fact say that. But not in that context. He said it in the context that the "Martial Arts" is a joke and is not real street fighting. And he wasn't referring to wrestling; he was referring to Jiu Jitsu. Because that's what Jiu Jitsu is: grappling.

except jiu jitsu is neutralized with wrestling so he did infact mean wrestling. i know he spent a lot of time with the machado brothers and training western freestyle wrestling in his later days.

Last edited:
If it were Bruce Lee, he would do a front kick but that's only because he can pull it off. I already explained the rest to you in that same post that you quoted, but you missed it.

I saw what you said. I just don't see how you can be so confident in Bruce's ability, when he hasn't gone out and performed in a sanctioned bout or even showcased his ability against someone looking to hurt him. I'd pick any masterclass boxer to beat him.

except jiu jitsu is neutralized with wrestling so he did infact mean wrestling. i know he spent a lot of time with the machado brothers and training western freestyle wrestling in his later days.

You seem to know what you are talking about. But I kind of disagree, based on the vague term "neutralized." BJJ/Jiu Jitsu is just an added dimension to wrestling. How does wrestling have an advantage over BJJ that BJJ is not already accounting for or utilizing??

because you can't get the fight to the ground without wrestling? there are no take downs trained in brazilian jiu jitsu. put a pure BJJ guy vs a wrestler and the wrestler will dictate where the fight goes. Obviously if the fight hits the ground then the odds shift in the favor of the BJJ guy. Now combine both and you've got your grappling training every UFC fighter trains nowadays.

lol trust me im a purple belt in BJJ and wrestled in college. been doing this for a long time. :wink:

Last edited:
If you think Bruce was just an actor, there's no reason to even debate with you.

It's like talking about Ronald Reagan's legacy with someone that only knows him from his movies.

Complete waste of time.

If it were Bruce Lee, he would do a front kick but that's only because he can pull it off. I already explained the rest to you in that same post that you quoted, but you missed it.

I saw what you said. I just don't see how you can be so confident in Bruce's ability, when he hasn't gone out and performed in a sanctioned bout or even showcased his ability against someone looking to hurt him. I'd pick any masterclass boxer to beat him.

Because these are techniques that I have seen put to use or have used myself in real world situations. At that point I'm not even considering Bruce Lee. I'm considering the techniques, regardless of who the fighter is. But then you add Bruce Lee's amazing physicalities and...

Trust me I know how good of a fighter a boxer is, but that really just depends on who they are fighting. Most people don't know how to fight a boxer. Most people think boxing IS fighting and that's as far as it goes for them. So when they fight a boxer, they get whooped.

Last edited:
That's not true at all about BJJ not having takedowns. Takedowns are how you get INTO grappling with BJJ. Some of the takedowns are actually finishing moves...

Wrestling does not even account for that at all. The point of BJJ is to break tendons and bones quickly.

Last edited:
bro have you ever trained BJJ? Go to your local gracie/BJJ school. you start and end class on your knees. you might learn a take down here and there but you will never be as good as a wrestler/judoka at take downs because they specialize in them.

why didnt the gracies continue to dominate the UFC after the first few? Because wrestlers like Mark "The Hammer" Coleman and Don Frye came in and dictated where the fight went. They also introduced the world to something called ground and pound. They showed how to beat a BJJ guy. Then came the wrestlers with striking. Eventually the sport kept evolving, guys were getting good at everything and it's what we see now.

Last edited:
You're acting like people were walking around with iPhones in the 60s, waiting to record street fights and post them on World Star.

Last edited:
So I'm 145 lbs and a dogs gotta eat. How much do you weigh?

Army or Air Force? What specialization?

180-85, AF, I'm a flyer on the AWACS

I'm assuming you had a high ASVAB. What was it?

I'm fully gauging your intelligence before I challenge you to a fight. But now, after profiling you, I think you are just trolling me to get me into that position. Either way I take pride in what I do and there are plenty of open fields in Oklahoma.

bro have you ever trained BJJ? Go to your local gracie/BJJ school. you start and end class on your knees. you might learn a take down here and there but you will never be as good as a wrestler/judoka at take downs.

why didnt the gracies continue to dominate the UFC after the first few? Because wrestlers like Mark "The hammer" Hamill came in and dictated where the fight went. They also introduced the world to something called ground and pound. They showed how to beat a BJJ guy. Then came the wrestlers with striking. Eventually guys were good at everything and it's what we see now.

I have trained with BJJ and it wasn't in a school. But it was also "MMA" focused. I am more of a private lessons guy, than a class demonstration. That specific person who was training me then, his background was M.I. and BJJ -- if that puts that into perspective. We were actually bartering training and practice sessions because I have an FMA background. We lived together, so we trained pretty often.

Also, my family runs a Jiu Jitsu school in the Philippines that incorporates other styles like Judo and FMA. So really we just have a differing of opinions and school of thought.

So while my BJJ may not be pure BJJ or w/e, I still know BJJ takedowns. Obviously if you get on top of someone you're gonna pound them... or you should.

I'm not really into MMA discussions btw.

Last edited:
Ah makes sense now. Training with focus on MMA would definitely be different and be more well-rounded. Good stuff.

Last edited:

I'm fully gauging your intelligence before I challenge you to a fight. But now, after profiling you, I think you are just trolling me to get me into that position. Either way I take pride in what I do and there are plenty of open fields in Oklahoma.
Would you like my DOB and SS too? Lol if you want to roll around I'm not hard to find, I'm at tinker base the majority of the week if I'm. It in the air

out of reps bro, out of reps.

Also I can't post or watch videos because T-Mobile has been doing their best impression of 56K in my neighborhood for awhile now.

So it's safe to assume that prime Mike Tyson, who has proof of his accomplishments, would be utterly destroyed by Bruce Lee, despite the fact that there isn't much visual evidence of him sparring or competing? Makes sense.

Sugar Ray Robinson fought in the 40's, 50's and 60's and there is a decent amount of footage floating around.

Would you like my DOB and SS too? Lol if you want to roll around I'm not hard to find, I'm at tinker base the majority of the week if I'm. It in the air

How about a picture or an email address? That's pretty harmless right?

I'd like to see a video of Tyson fighting someone who professionally uses more than just their hands.

Until then, there isn't enough footage to say he'd get at Bruce Lee.

So it's safe to assume that prime Mike Tyson, who has proof of his accomplishments, would be utterly destroyed by Bruce Lee, despite the fact that there isn't much visual evidence of him sparring or competing? Makes sense.

Sugar Ray Robinson fought in the 40's, 50's and 60's and there is a decent amount of footage floating around.

Bro, they all fought in front of 100000's of people who paid to be there. How does that not compute with you? :lol:

What are Mike Tyson's grappling skills worth?

How good is Mike Tyson at protecting his knees?

How good is Mike Tyson at protecting his wrist and knuckles?

How good is Mike Tyson at protecting his kidneys?

You don't know and you never will.

If Mike Tyson throws one punch, and Bruce Lee smashes his knuckles with a strategic block, all that force that Mike Tyson has behind his punch, it will shatter Mike Tyson's entire hand.

That's the basic end of that discussion.

Last edited:

I never said utterly destroyed.

You're comparing nationally televised, sanctioned boxing events to street fighting.

Doesn't even make sense.

There's a pretty solid lure that Tyson was a ferocious street fighter too...where's the video evidence?

We have no video proof of Earl Manigault's best street ball moments, yet were pretty sure of his ability.

Read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, watch the film that does exist of Bruce, listen to first hand accounts of his ability and experience, then come back to this discussion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom