[::2009 Champion LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD Vol. Boring Non-News Days Causing In-Thread Tension::]

-i really think the lakers should try their best to keep shannon. You could see him making strides in his game, and he wasn't even here for half a season.His athleticism is
eek.gif
and i really think he could be the point guard of the future. Imagine having him for an entire offseason with the lakers. I think theprogress that he could make would be similar to the progress that trevor has made this past off season. Also, i believe that he's a restricted free agent,so all we have to do is match what any other team offers him

-I think odom will take less money. Something in the neighborhood of about 3-4 years and 8 mil per year sounds reasonable. I think he likes the feeling ofbeing a champion and will take less money for a great opportunity for another championship run with the lakers

-how much is trevor making now? Give him the whole damn mle if we have to. What kinda offers do u guys think that other teams will give him this off season? iagree with whoever said that some team will be willing to overpay for him. I think that he is more likely to leave than Odom because he's only 23 andhe's probably looking for that fat contract that will have him and his family set for life, and I don't blame him

- Sasha, i love you, But damn, you let me down
tired.gif
But I believe that you'll get back in the lab and return next year better than ever

Here's to a great year everyone, I regret not posting in S/T that much these past few years seems like it's been a blast but I'll try to get moreinvolved now. It's funny how bad we were a year and a half ago and now we're champions. I hope and pray Trevor sticks with us, I don't think Lamaris going anywhere.
15 baby!

-how much is trevor making now? Give him the whole damn mle if we have to. What kinda offers do u guys think that other teams will give him this off season? i agree with whoever said that some team will be willing to overpay for him. I think that he is more likely to leave than Odom because he's only 23 and he's probably looking for that fat contract that will have him and his family set for life, and I don't blame him
Trevor made 3.4 mil. You figure you have to AT LEAST double that. 7 mil a season. Now how much longer is Gasol under contract? I say you signeverybody until his deal or Kobe's deal is up...

Trip on this..

[h2]Magic get bigger with Cook, dealing little-used Ariza[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

The Los Angeles Lakers made a trade, but it wasn't the one everyone was waiting for. Kobe Bryant is still in purple and gold.

3568.jpg

Evans

3727.jpg

Cook

3860.jpg

Ariza

General manager Mitch Kupchak announced on Tuesday that the team had acquired forward Trevor Ariza from the Orlando Magic for forward Brian Cook and guard Maurice Evans.

A four-year veteran who began his career with the New York Knicks, Ariza averaged 8.9 points and 4.4 rebounds in 22.4 minutes per game last season with the Magic but his numbers had fallen off this year.

The deal saves the Lakers some money in the end. While he's averaging only 3.3 points and 2.2 rebounds this season, Ariza is in the final year of his contract. Cook, averaging 2.3 points and 1.7 rebounds, is in the first year of a three-year, $10.5 million deal.

The Orlando Sentinel reported on Tuesday that the Magic used their $2.6 million exemption -- from the Tony Battie injury -- to make the deal work. The Magic also released veteran big man Bo Outlaw.

"It was hard to trade Trevor on two fronts," Magic general manager Otis Smith said, according to the Sentinel. "Trevor's one of 'my kids.' I'd like to have kept him, but we made a huge investment in the 4-spot [power forward Rashard Lewis] and we have two guys [Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu] playing extremely well.

"It's bittersweet for Trevor. He found a home in Orlando. Nine of the 10 things were good, but the one thing --- not playing --- was not good. Him not playing, that's tough on a young guy."

Ariza makes a homecoming. He grew up in Los Angeles and attended Westchester High School.

"He's a 6-8 athletic, active guy," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said before their game against the Indiana Pacers. "His specialty is probably defense. He's an all-around player, but defensively, with the athleticism -- he's tough."

Cook, a 6-9, 250-pounder, was a first-round pick by the Lakers in the 2003 draft after playing at Illinois. He turns 27 on Dec. 4 but has played sparingly this season.

Cook's best season was in 2005-06, when he averaged 7.9 points, 3.4 rebounds and 19 minutes, all career highs.

Cook, along with Bryant, Derek Fisher and Luke Walton, were the only players on the current roster who played with the Lakers in 2003-04, the last time they advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs.

Evans averaged 4.4 points in seven games for the Lakers this season. The 29-year-old was in the final year of his contract.

The 6-5, 220-pounder averaged a career-high 8.4 points in 76 games last season, his first with the Lakers. Evans was acquired from Detroit in a draft day trade in 2006. He's also played for Minnesota and Sacramento.

"We gave up two players that were veterans, experienced players who fit into our system relatively well," Jackson said.

Ariza hadn't yet joined the Lakers, and Cook and Evans weren't with the team, leaving Los Angeles shorthanded for Tuesday's game.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Boy if they only knew....

Originally Posted by CP1708

Ska workin on his Kobe apology essay?
nerd.gif

laugh.gif

Just playin man, like I said months ago when we were like 30 games above .500 but none of us were happy anyways, we all played our parts.

KB8 rides Sasha
Bright makes game threads
Tupac brings in stories/articles and keeps some peace with other fans
Holden shuts down Yuku whenever we're trailing in a game
French makes sure JBone stays outta our way
I abuse Chester like a red headed step child
LTB runs the season thread
Ska keeps Kobe in check.

Those were our jobs, I'd say mission accomplished. Excellent job everybody.
smokin.gif

pimp.gif
all crucial elements to a championship formula.

CP1708:
Lotta new faces these days?
nerd.gif
wink.gif

All of a sudden, SOOOOOO many people at work are Laker fans, and have been for their entire lives. Going back to 7th grade.
roll.gif
laugh.gif
Since before birth, even.

I've been wearing Laker jerseys and what not since I hired on (last October), and I have only had ONE person talk to me about the Lakers, and it'salways real casual. Now that guy is this die-hard Laker psycho-fan, along with tons of other people that have nevermentioned a thing to me. I mean, I'm not saying people should have been checking in with me or anything, but... why were you all hushmouth when I waswearing Laker stuff before, like, not a word, but now I'm decked out in Laker gear the day after winning a title, and you've got all kinds of things tosay about thie laker team you love so dearly but never said a word about before?
laugh.gif

Oh...

I would make serious efforts to keep:
- Shannon Brown
- Jordan Farmar
- Trevor Ariza
- Lamar Odom
- Andrew Bynum
- Pau
- Kobe

I would make serious efforts to unload:
- Walton (if I hear 'His basketball knowledge is superb' one more damn time...)
- Sasha

Everyone else, I don't care one way or the other.

Brown and Farmar... I mean, I love Fisher, that's my dude, but he's sucking fumes. Instead of making it about keeping either Farmar OR Brown, I'dtry to keep both.

Bynum and Odom frustrate the HHHAAAAAYL out of me, but the talent is there. Heck, Kobe frustrates the world out of me, but I've never said he was anythingless than a remarkable talent.

Artest.

smh @ the bandwagoners...

i was walking home today and saw ppl wearing the purple and gold. I shouted "LAKERRRRRRRSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and they were just like "hey,"with a soft tone, word to mike tyson.
mad.gif
laugh.gif

ahhhhhhhhh been feelin so good all day today

If we keep Odom AND Ariza, then we will be contenders again

our core needs to stay intact:

Kobe
Pau
Odom
Ariza
Bynum

I think if we don't get Jason Kidd, then Farmar will need to be given the starting job and Fish needs to back him up.

Farmar can easily get the 10 ppg that Fish got as a starter if he's given the same minutes as Fish.

It would be nice to re-sign Brown and Powell, but it depends on how much money is left for them

I also wouldn't mind unloading Luke and Sasha, but that's a far-fetched possibility

I definitely like our chances next year if we re-sign Odom and Ariza and stay healthy

Remember, Bynum will be much better next year if he gets healthy

All of a sudden everyone on my facebook n myspace messaging me bout the lakers but when I'd post about a win vs atlanta in the regular season in my statusi'd get no replies. It's a lot more enjoyable for those of us who watched all/most of the games this season. We're the ones who remember the littlethings like Gasol's 3 vs the hornets, Shannon's block in his debut, and watched the 62 point game as it happened. But yeah it is what it is andlet's just enjoy it ourselves, can't wait til Wednesday!

socluis90:
All of a sudden everyone on my facebook n myspace messaging me bout the lakers but when I'd post about a win vs atlanta in the regular season in my status i'd get no replies. It's a lot more enjoyable for those of us who watched all/most of the games this season.
And even more enjoyable for those of us who have been watching games for YEARS and YEARS and YEEARS.
wink.gif

sick.gif
bandwagoners are disgusting

message board bandwagoners are representative of real life ones too
talking about how they were busy with their life and they did not have time to watch any of the games until the finals
but they bleed purple and gold

grin.gif
you bandwagoners don't get any respect

And even more enjoyable for those of us who have been watching games for YEARS and YEARS and YEEARS.
it is also more enjoyable for us kobe "stans" that sided with him throughout the accusation and when most laker fans took shaq'sside during all those years and when he got traded

b112547c204f43791777a5642f908393e7b1064.jpg

Originally Posted by socluis90

All of a sudden everyone on my facebook n myspace messaging me bout the lakers but when I'd post about a win vs atlanta in the regular season in my status i'd get no replies. It's a lot more enjoyable for those of us who watched all/most of the games this season. We're the ones who remember the little things like Gasol's 3 vs the hornets, Shannon's block in his debut, and watched the 62 point game as it happened. But yeah it is what it is and let's just enjoy it ourselves, can't wait til Wednesday!
yehh i know right...a lot of my status comments was kobe deserves it and Lakers worked hard but im giving them crap back though cause they weresaying kobe sucks when they lost to the celtics last year...i tell them theres no more room on the wagon
pimp.gif
...anyways so does anyone have a pic of ariza holding the trophy?

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

socluis90:
All of a sudden everyone on my facebook n myspace messaging me bout the lakers but when I'd post about a win vs atlanta in the regular season in my status i'd get no replies. It's a lot more enjoyable for those of us who watched all/most of the games this season.
wink.gif

laugh.gif
You know what I meant. I have followed this team religiously since thevan exel/eddie jones/peeler days. im only 21
grin.gif

I post on facebook all the time when the Lakers win and when a game starts, when they lose, I get all these comments. When the Lakers win and when they won thechampionship yesterday, no comments whatsoever.

I'd want Shannon to come back, hopefully we can, but he needs to work on that jump shot.

When Andrew went down earlier in the year, Josh Powell got a lot of minutes and he did real well during Andrew's absence.

Trevor has to come back, his defensive presence was key in the playoffs as well as the regular season.

Lamar should come back as well, although I wish we'd see him play well during the regular season, like how he did against the game against the Cavs whenthey were at the Q and during the last few games of the Denver and the whole Finals.

Kobe needs to restructure his contract so we can sign both Lamar and Trevor and keep this team intact.

Hopefully Andrew can get back to how he was in the beginning of the year before he got hurt.

Derek doesn't have a lot in him left, Jordan has to work on his game more.

I want to see Adam next year get into the rotation somehow and see what he can do.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Lotta new faces these days?
nerd.gif
wink.gif
I recognize a lot of them. Or maybe it's just that it's the same people that I recognize posting multiple times. I think it's that.

Some pretty good videos to reflect on this magical season (no pun intended), enjoy:

Same like the guy before i wore my classic Kobe 8 and everyone is just looking at me and i see a bunch of people with BRAND NEW MINT 24 kobes im like.... comeon now

First off i just wana say CONGRATS!!! to the Lakers entire organization and players, to the true fans, and also to the people who said we couldnt do it becausewithout you guys, we wouldnt have anyone to say " i told you so" hahaha. It feels so good.

Lets keep Ariza and Odom if we want any repitition next year as to what we accomplished this year
Brown and Farmar bring that energy spark off the bench, we need that so we need both guys back
Sasha i hate to say it but will probably end up staying
Lets have a good draft, free agency pickups if possible and a great summer workout
Phil is questionable for next year due to health reasons, we need you back next year, get better PJ!!

Originally Posted by Lizaker4Lizife

If we keep Odom AND Ariza, then we will be contenders again

our core needs to stay intact:

Kobe
Pau
Odom
Ariza
Bynum
plus Farmar/Brown & maybe another big and Fish in a back up role

We'll be good

Originally Posted by knightngale

it is also more enjoyable for us kobe "stans" that sided with him throughout the accusation and when most laker fans took shaq's side during all those years and when he got traded

b112547c204f43791777a5642f908393e7b1064.jpg
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I love Kobe! I could care less about what anyone says
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom