[::2009 Champion LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD Vol. Boring Non-News Days Causing In-Thread Tension::]

Originally Posted by Notorious 858

Great article about the inventor of the triangle offense:

Lakers legend Tex Winter needs to be encircled with care

48069202.jpg

You never saw it. The Lakers never ran it. An 87-year-old stroke victim conceived it.

But amid all the intricate designs concocted by the NBA champions during their postseason run, perhaps no single play was more important.

It appeared not in the glitz of Staples Center, but in a quiet assisted living apartment home in Wilsonville, Ore.

While the Lakers were celebrating their Finals victory over the Orlando Magic, basketball consultant Tex Winter was fighting to speak the words "Orlando" and "Magic."

Having suffering a stroke earlier in the playoffs, Winter could barely talk or comprehend. It was difficult to write, difficult to gesture, one of the greatest teachers in basketball history laboring to learn the basics of living.

His team had won, but Winters was still fighting, the frustration growing each day, until finally his son Chris had an idea.

"OK, Dad," Chris said, sticking a piece of paper in front of his father's hand. . . . "Draw a play."

Tex looked down. He thought for a second. He slowly put pen to paper.

And there it was.

The triangle.

"Out of nowhere, there it was, the offense, drawn perfectly, completely understandable, legible enough for the players to run it," Chris said. "I was really surprised. And I wasn't surprised at all."

Yeah, Tex is still with us.

The guy who designed the offense that has led to four Lakers' NBA championships may have disappeared, but he's not gone.

Tex Winter's calming, white-haired presence may never again be seen sitting behind Phil Jackson on the Lakers' bench.

He may never again be able to speak without assistance or live without care.

His sons say he is battling boredom and depression while facing the most difficult climb of his life.

But the force is still with us, one of the greatest coaches in basketball history still trying to coach from a living room chair in an apartment he shares with his Alzheimer's-stricken wife, Nancy.

"He's still a coach," said Russ, another of Winters' three sons. "It may not always seem like it on the outside, but there's still a coach in there."

Take the first game Winter watched after suffering his stroke in late April.

He was essentially immobile in a chair in front of a television set, watching the Lakers losing to the Houston Rockets, when son Chris ripped one of the Lakers for not hustling.

Out of nowhere, the coach appeared.

"Get off his back, he's doing the best he can!" Winter shouted. "You know, this game isn't as easy as it looks!"

It was one of the first complex sentences Winter had strung together since he had been stricken. His sons have been shaking their heads about it ever since.

"He has always been a coach; he doesn't know how to do anything else, and I guess that's how it's always going to be," Russ said.

Jackson wasn't the only one who won his 10th ring on that Sunday night in Orlando, remember.

Winter also won his 10th, each one as Jackson's offense architect and sideline conscience.

"He calmly called himself, 'the Insultant' rather than 'the Consultant,' " Jackson told reporters earlier this summer.

It was Winter who was never afraid to challenge Kobe Bryant. It was Winter who would stare down Jackson.

Ultimately, it was Winter who finally benched himself, requesting that he be downgraded from assistant coach to consultant during recent years because of health battles.

But he was still there for home games, still there for practices, still around to needle and nudge and serve as a constant touchstone for the NBA's most successful offense.

Imagine today's airline pilots being counseled by the Wright brothers. That was Winter with the Lakers, living history, more amazing by the year.

"I remember giving him brochures on vacation spots, and wondering if he would ever retire and travel, and once he even said he would," Russ said. "But then the next year, he was back with the Lakers. Always, he was back with the Lakers."

And the Lakers always had his back, employing him long after any other organization would hand out regular paychecks to someone his age.

After Winter was stricken during the first-round series against the Utah Jazz, some fans might have forgotten about him, but the Lakers never did.

Their team doctors helped direct the start of his care. Mitch Kupchak, the Lakers' general manager, immediately offered all other team services. Several members of the front office telephoned Winter even though he couldn't really talk.

"The Lakers really are a family, we have seen every aspect of that," Chris said. "They have been unbelievable in their care for my father."

The attention was needed, as Winter's new journey is a difficult one. Because he had no other interests but basketball, his days are sometimes long and tedious. Because it appears he will never coach basketball again, he is constantly fighting depression.

"I wish I could tell you this was a totally upbeat story, but it's not, it's tough," Russ said. "Sometimes my father feels like he's an old man who doesn't have time to learn to talk again."

Basketball brings him back.

Winter brightened considerably when Jackson recently visited on his way to his summer home in Montana. In typical Jackson fashion, it wasn't announced, and none of Winter's sons were there, just Tex and Phil.

Then came the phone call from Kupchak that really charged up the coach, a reminder that he had to get well soon so he could come to Los Angeles in November and pick up his championship ring.

"He really seems eager to make that happen," said Brian, another son. "That's something we're planning on."

The coach, it seems, just needs a little coaching. His family provided a mailing address: 32100 SW French Prairie Road, Number 228, Wilsonville, Ore., 97070.

After Tex Winter blessed our town with the triangle, perhaps it's time for us to teach him about the full circle.
Link:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke15-2009jul15,0,2733067,full.column

get well soon tex...hope to see you get your ring in november...i will definitely be sending you a get well card...we all should!

What are the talk shows down there saying about the LO situation? Any of them got any inside whispers or anything that'll lead us to any clues aboutwhat's going on?

I gotta beleive after last night that Odom and his agent would want to speak with LA first thing today and see what they can do.

LO needs to fire his agent. Dude must be gassing his head up. He gonna screw around and get the money he wants only to watch the playoffs at home with a jumbobag of skittles.

I'm sick of some of you guys blaming these agents

If us internet folk can clearly see which teams can pay these free agents then the players themselves should get a clue as well.

I don't blame Trev's agent at all, Trevor was just an idiot. He's always struck me as being slow anyway

Odom is no different. Dude is a moron

Originally Posted by CP1708

What are the talk shows down there saying about the LO situation? Any of them got any inside whispers or anything that'll lead us to any clues about what's going on?

I gotta beleive after last night that Odom and his agent would want to speak with LA first thing today and see what they can do.

Nothing that has already been reported or said.

They don't agree on the years, that's what delaying this deal to get done.

Mychal Thompson's show is coming on in about an hour, so we'll see what he knows about the situation.

Odom should fire his agent & re-sign with us today. Where Ari Gold when you need em? He'd be the perfect agent for LO.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

What are the talk shows down there saying about the LO situation? Any of them got any inside whispers or anything that'll lead us to any clues about what's going on?

Mychal Thompson's show is coming on in about an hour, so we'll see what he knows about the situation.

I still can't believe the got rid of the loose cannons....Its hard to listen to KLAC now. But I will tune in for MT.

I gotta say that if LO is out, the chances of repeating decease. This means they would have lost two heavy contributors this summer from championship team.Artest is a great addition, but I don't think he can replace both guys.

Originally Posted by Long Beach Vincey

I'm sick of some of you guys blaming these agents

If us internet folk can clearly see which teams can pay these free agents then the players themselves should get a clue as well.

I don't blame Trev's agent at all, Trevor was just an idiot. He's always struck me as being slow anyway

Odom is no different. Dude is a moron
I mean I kind of see what you're saying but these Dudes are not on the internet like we are
laugh.gif
. I think they see what other players are getting and then they also have athought what they're worth. But i feel like these sports agents are greedy, and gas their players up like " I can get you this, I promise you, juststay quiet, they'll budge" and then be like " well i couldnt get you this but i got you another deal, now you dont have to live in Kobe'sshadow"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by tupac003

I still can't believe the got rid of the loose cannons....Its hard to listen to KLAC now. But I will tune in for MT.
Unfortunately, Mychal Thompson is now receiving paychecks from ESPN, so his show is over on ESPN 710
tongue.gif

Ever since they got rid of the loose cannons, I switched over to 710.

Originally Posted by tupac003

Unfortunately, Mychal Thompson is now receiving paychecks from ESPN, so his show is over on ESPN 710
tongue.gif

Ever since they got rid of the loose cannons, I switched over to 710.

710 has coverage of the Laker games next year as well. No more KLAC
frown.gif

We need to do something.

I mean, was LO and Ariza not at the parade? Did they not see this coming? Why didn't they have contracts on the table at the exit interviews and/or listof demands?

This should be done, a non issue and we can all relax for the summer. They agreed to the money per year, LA offered up a 4th year, take the deal Lamar, andtry to win another chip with your boys, plus one of your childhood friends. And still cake at 10 mil per for a couple years in these tough economictimes in a city you love that loves you back. F what some suit says that claims to be your agent, he's just tryna make HIS money off of YOU.
smh.gif

Call Buss LO.

Call him right now, here's the # 1-ILU-VYO-UNGGIRLS.

Had to add a couple extra numbers.
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

I blame LO mostly b/c if he REALLY wants to stay, tell his stupid agent to accept the Lakers offer and be done with it. But his agent has to take some of theblame for this, I believe he isn't even really worried about getting LO the most money for LO's sake, I'm pretty sure his agent wants all thismoney so he can get a larger percentage of the cut. I think this is the same thing that happened with Trev and Lee but it backfired and they received the exactsame amount. Don't be a dummy LO, speak up if you really want to remain in the purple and gold.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

1. Draft a big man or point guard.

2. Re-sign Ariza.

3. Try and re-sign LO.

4. Let Shannon walk
frown.gif

First page of this thread. LA done nothin right so far.........
tired.gif
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom