2011 another great year for college football

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Dóes UNC sell out its home games?

laugh.gif
. Not sure if you are being serious or making jokes, but during the Butch era we had several sellouts (I think all the Miami games, FSU, ND, NC State and VT). Pre reno we sat 60k and averaged like 58.5k. Now we seat 63k and have averaged like "53k" a game. I think that is overstated just from what I've seen on tv.

This year it looks like an aluminum playground. IMO this is because of how Butch was fired and also how garbage our home schedule has been + the fact that we have had 12PM kickoffs all year. %$!+%% excuse, but it is what it is. I hate it, but we're not made to be a big football school. Culture and infrastructure is not there. 

I dont know if the would go the OU route again but Brent Venables would be a good candidate.

Kevin Sumlin too since they already run a spread offense.
frown.gif

Turns out the Grice commitment was a bit premature and the result of a misunderstanding. He hasn't committed yet and apparently wants to take a visit or two before deciding. He did get the offer from Sherman, though.

However, Eddie Porter, a LB from Blinn, got an offer and committed. Definitely fills a spot of need...

I wonder if Ohio State would go after Jim Grobe this offseason if they don't lure Meyer. He did start at Ohio and that would be extremely hard for him to turn down.

I think they'll look at Pelini and D'Antonio before Grobe if Urban turns that gig down.

I still think Urban ends up taking over for JoePa at PSU.

Bo Pelini is not getting the Ohio State job.

Urban left a pressure cooker job like Florida so wouldn't taking a job like tOSU be like taking the same job as UF?

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

I actually want to see the interim tag removed from Everett. I think the chances of us landing a top coach is very small and I think Withers can be an outstanding HC. I'm sure people will be rooting for Peterson or Meyer and I'd be happy with either hire, but at the same time let's get real. It's UNC football and it's not going to happen.

If we go on to win 9 or 10 games, Withers will have done enough to prove he can coach and deserves a shot. The only unknown is him on the recruiting trail.

My dream scenario is that the chancellor gets canned and we re-hire Butch. Cue the Cam praying .gif. One can always hope.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
you saw that thread about tony dungy to unc?

Originally Posted by Statis22

Urban left a pressure cooker job like Florida so wouldn't taking a job like tOSU be like taking the same job as UF?
You know Pelini is from OH and was a captain for tO$U, right?  Curious as to why you think he would have no chance. 

I think he's one of the more realistic possibilities.  People act like he's sucked in Lincoln, but he's had back to back 10 win seasons.

Urban would have even more pressure at tO$U than in Gainsville, sanctions or no sanctions.

And now that I think about it, D'Antonio is probably eliminated because of his connections to Sweater.  I would think that they want to distance themselves from that tree.

My wish list is:
Meyer

Grobe

Pelini.

No thanks for D'Antonio. Also, doesnt Peterson have a special needs kid? Maybe he doesnt want to uproot because of that..?

Originally Posted by IYE2

My wish list is:
Meyer

Grobe

Pelini.

No thanks for D'Antonio. Also, doesnt Peterson have a special needs kid? Maybe he doesnt want to uproot because of that..?
No clue if he has a special needs child, but I know he doesn't want to move his family for anything east of Boise. He has turned down a ton of money/jobs and at this point I have no clue what job he would take.

Originally Posted by IYE2

My wish list is:
Meyer

Grobe

Pelini.

Think they'll look at Bellotti? He was turned down Ohio State when they came to him back in 2000 or whatever.

I don't see Grobe leaving wake forest....he's had money thrown at him, not Ohio st money but still money.....dude is a god here in Winston Salem....a true talented coach

Originally Posted by N ll K 3

Originally Posted by Statis22

You know Pelini is from OH and was a captain for tO$U, right?  Curious as to why you think he would have no chance. 

I think he's one of the more realistic possibilities.  People act like he's sucked in Lincoln, but he's had back to back 10 win seasons.

Urban would have even more pressure at tO$U than in Gainsville, sanctions or no sanctions.

And now that I think about it, D'Antonio is probably eliminated because of his connections to Sweater.  I would think that they want to distance themselves from that tree.

Because Nebaraka isnt a stepping stone program & there is no reason for him to leave. I mean I think he's a okay coach bt he got a good situation there.

Originally Posted by N ll K 3

I think they'll look at Pelini and D'Antonio before Grobe if Urban turns that gig down.

I still think Urban ends up taking over for JoePa at PSU.

Dantonio just signed a lifetime deal with MSU this week. Doubt he's going to OSU.

Pelini seems realistic if the money is right. Plus, I still don't think Urban is going to coach in Cbus.

My thoughts on Arizona's coaching search:

The most important thing is to find a coach who can recruit in the state. There are no good players in Tucson, and the best players in Phoenix go elsewhere more often than not. Because of that, we're left with CA and TX 3*s and there's obviously going to be a ceiling to your success if you have the players your competitors passed over.

It needs to be someone with experience. Stoops, for all his faults, brought Arizona back from no-mans-land and a hangover period with a guy learning how to be a HC can't happen. We have a lot of guys coming back next year with a favorable conference schedule so a guy who knows what he's doing is important. From everything I'm reading the AD feels the same way.

The system has to stay somewhat the same. Can't really afford to switch systems and not have the players for that system. That would Rich Rod or Borges.

So far the rumors are that Petersen and Bellotti are the top two choices. Our AD spent time with both of them when he was at Oregon. I personally don't think Petersen would leave for Arizona but people in the know say don't count it out so who knows. Bellotti would be a good choice, although he's getting up there in age. I'd imagine the players would be all for Sonny Dy kes. Kevin Sumlin's offense would fit right in also.

Personally I'd like to see them think outside of the box but I don't see that risk being taken. Chuck Cecil would definitely get people excited but he's never coached in college. I joked with my boy that they should just hire Bruschi and let him be a figurehead type HC. At least he has charisma to draw attention to the program.

Arizona's Scout board hot list
Spoiler [+]
(I took out what was written because it was mostly fluff)

Chris Petersen
Mike Belotti

Kevin Sumlin

Rich Rodriguez

Al Borges
Paul Chryst
Brent Pease

Manny Diaz
Mike Leach

Tim Kish
Other names to watch: Bryan Harsin (Texas O.C.), Sonny **$+@ (Louisiana Tech HC), Chris Wilson (Mississippi State DC), Chad Morris (Clemson OC), Jim Tressel (Former Ohio State HC), Brent Venables (Oklahoma DC), Frank Cignetti Jr. (Rutgers OC), Jim McElwain (Alabama OC), Tim DeRuyter (Texas A&M DC), Troy Calhoun (Air Force HC), Kirby Smart (Alabama), Greg Mattison (Michigan DC).

Back
Top Bottom