2011 another great year for college football

orangeeffect.jpg

Our unis for the game against UNC. Needless to say these won't go over well with the older alumni
laugh.gif
I liked the look we went with against BC a lot though.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Arizona names from the people who should know.

Chris Petersen
Mike Bellotti
Paul Chryst
Larry Fedora
Mark Hudspeth
Chad Morris
Manny Diaz
Kevin Sumlin
Derek Mason
Jim McElwain

this is the common list for every school that will have a job opening tho
laugh.gif
. the only names that are missing is Kirby Smart,Leach and Gus. most of those guys are the same names been throwing around for the UCLA job.

i will take anyone but Belloit on that list at UCLA.

pmac zona going to shell out big bucks for a HC? boosters and Alum have told the UCLA AD he better fix @*@$ or they wont put another dime into the pauley pavilion renovation

Hearing $2.5-$3M for the HC.

^Yea, it's the same helmets we wore in the Orange Bowl and against Marshall earlier this year. It's basically just this:

Virginia_Tech_Marshall_Football_0f3ec.jpg

With these jerseys (I think this combo is the best out of all the orange based)

boston-college-virgin_hasc_s160x185.jpg

BTW what's the team looking like for that game, any injuries or anything else noteworthy? I saw Okakpu got dismissed from the team, how's the guy who filled in for him? Definitely not looking forward to having to defend Gio/your OL with all these plugins on our defense. I'm debating on going down for the game but only if we beat GT.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif
roll.gif
Cliff Harris

laugh.gif
time to get a bus pass son

ncf_u_kelly01_300.jpg

*le sigh* Son gotta be smarte- wait, this is Cliff "We Smoked it All" Harris. nvm.

a motorcycle officer pulled Harris over at ... Hilyard Street
I know that street very well
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Is Dillon Baxter off the USC squad?

Edit
nevermind, I got my confirmation. Dillon Baxter is indeed off the USC football team

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

BTW what's the team looking like for that game, any injuries or anything else noteworthy? I saw Okakpu got dismissed from the team, how's the guy who filled in for him? Definitely not looking forward to having to defend Gio/your OL with all these plugins on our defense. I'm debating on going down for the game but only if we beat GT.
We've been pretty solid against the run all year, but have been torched by teams that take a pass happy game plan approach. We just lost our starting FS Matt Merletti to an ACL/MCL injury. He wasn't the greatest player, but was certainly better than who we have back there now. Our Dline and LBs have been good, but not lived up to their expectations. Okakpu did get dismissed, but he wasn't necessarily a solid player for us. His replacements are young, Darius Lipford and Travis Hughes, but both have shown flashes. 
Bryn Renner has been maddening this year. His completion percentage for the most part of the year has been pretty high, but he tries to extend plays and forces a lot of balls that get picked. Plus his decision making abilities are sub par. His version of the two minute offense is to not get sacked trying to make a play instead of throwing the ball OB. His play this year has made me appreciate what TJ Yates did last year.
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Arizona names from the people who should know.

Chris Petersen
Mike Bellotti
Paul Chryst
Larry Fedora
Mark Hudspeth
Chad Morris
Manny Diaz
Kevin Sumlin
Derek Mason
Jim McElwain

There ya go.   
not sure why you crossed out Diaz,Sumlin and McElwain

Baxter smh. I thought he was surely going to be the next Reggie Bush
Dillon Baxter to SDSU?

Will baxter be a soph when he transfer to a new school or jr? and if he does go to sdsu, Hillman will probably be gone to the nfl by the time baxter 1 year sitting is done

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

We've been pretty solid against the run all year, but have been torched by teams that take a pass happy game plan approach. We just lost our starting FS Matt Merletti to an ACL/MCL injury. He wasn't the greatest player, but was certainly better than who we have back there now. Our Dline and LBs have been good, but not lived up to their expectations. Okakpu did get dismissed, but he wasn't necessarily a solid player for us. His replacements are young, Darius Lipford and Travis Hughes, but both have shown flashes. 
Bryn Renner has been maddening this year. His completion percentage for the most part of the year has been pretty high, but he tries to extend plays and forces a lot of balls that get picked. Plus his decision making abilities are sub par. His version of the two minute offense is to not get sacked trying to make a play instead of throwing the ball OB. His play this year has made me appreciate what TJ Yates did last year.
sick.gif
laugh.gif
Word, I wonder if we'll come out passing a lot then to exploit the secondary. We inexplicably threw the ball 25 times in the first half last game against BC and gave David Wilson only 6 carries
laugh.gif
Hosley and Gayle should be back by the time we play y'all unless something goes terribly wrong, same with Tweedy at whip. I read that if Tweedy can't play this week Bud might either play nickel all game or eliminate the whip position until he gets back, because our 3rd string whip (Nick Dew) has no idea what the hell he's doing
laugh.gif

Very worried about Dew. I do not think he got lined up correctly one time. He honestly had no idea what the defensive calls were, where he was supposed to be, or what he was supposed to do. Several plays we were in man and he was just dropping back into a random zone that does not exist. I know he is third string and not expected to play but him not being able to line up at all is something that will make the coaches hesitant to trust him. I would not be surprised if we either stayed away from using a whip if it all possible or somebody else slid over to the position. Hopefully Dew will get into the playbook and film room this week and can be ready for the next game.

Gerald Christian & and Robert Clark transfer out of UF.

Gators are now at 72 scholly players out of the 85 limit

That 1st year coaching purge so you can take a full class
laugh.gif

Clark may have been better off just going to WVU

UF's gonna be loaded @ TE w/ AC Leonard and the probable committments of Freitag and Taylor

Originally Posted by dreClark

Baxter should have 3 years to play 3 @ whatever school he attends next. Didn't he RS last year? 

Nope, he played last year, and he played this year.

He can burn his RS sitting out to whatever school he transfers to, and have two years of eligibility.  He looked good on film, but he's just too slow.

Originally Posted by dreClark

That 1st year coaching purge so you can take a full class
laugh.gif

Clark may have been better off just going to WVU

UF's gonna be loaded @ TE w/ AC Leonard and the probable committments of Freitag and Taylor

Creating mismatches with 2 TE sets
pimp.gif

Over on my other beat, motorsports, there are two concurrent seasons. The first is the actual season, the one with wins, losses and piles of stats. But the other can be just as interesting and far less predictable. It's the personnel musical chairs of drivers, crew chiefs and sponsors jumping from one team and going to another -- and it's insane.

That's why we call it the Silly Season.

Now, as we plow into late October, college football has crashed headlong into its own Silly Season. Like racing, college football's Silly Season seems to begin earlier and earlier each year. This season, it all got kicked off before the games had even started, with Jim Tressel and Butch Davis departing during the offseason. Then New Mexico, Arizona and Toledo all vacated their head-coaching office before we'd even reached the halfway point.

So, who are the leading candidates to fill those positions and the others that could come open between now and next season? Let's take a look at the three best candidates in a variety of categories.
[h3]Hot-commodity coordinators[/h3]
These are the coordinators and position coaches who are gathering buzz with both athletic directors and fans. In other words, the Dana Holgorsens of 2011.

1. Gus Malzahn, Auburn Tigers offensive coordinator: Last year Auburn dug up 1.3 million reasons for their offensive genius not to become the head coach of the Vanderbilt Commodores. But you have to figure someone will eventually be able to top that. No, Auburn isn't having the type of season in 2011 that it did last season, but losing Cam Newton will do that. Malzahn's offense is still the one everyone is trying to copy. Clemson's new offensive coaching staff eventually had to be run off from an offseason chat with Malzahn because he was afraid they were learning a little too much. Clearly, he was right.

Good fit: UCLA Bruins

2. Brent Venables, Oklahoma Sooners defensive coordinator: He's a ridiculous recruiter, continues to hold the line versus the increasingly wide-open offenses of the Big 12 and has been groomed to become a head coach for a while now. The one problem is that he keeps repeating over and over that he's happy and doesn't want a head job. A giant sack of cash might change his mind.

While Venables could be in play for a number of jobs this offseason, he could also be a possible candidate for the Kansas State Wildcats job whenever Bill Snyder decides to hang it up (again). Venables played for and served as an assistant for Snyder at K-State.

Good fit: Kansas State (if Snyder ever retires)

3. Kirby Smart, Alabama Crimson Tide defensive coordinator: Smart has turned down DC offers from other SEC schools, including Georgia, his alma mater. But he knows that his continuing loyalty to Nick Saban, the Michael Corleone of college coaching, will lead to a head-coaching job.

Good fit: Ole Miss Rebels

Others: Mark Helfrich, OC, Oregon; Don Treadwell, OC, Michigan State; Mark Stoops, DC, FSU

[h3]Mid-major movers[/h3]
This group consists of guys making a living one rung below the big time. They've either moved up the hard way, through the lower levels of college football, or bailed on being an assistant with a big program to take a chance as the boss of a smaller program in hopes of one day landing a top-shelf head job. These are the Brady Hokes of 2011.

ncf_u_mcristobal1_200.jpg

Jonathan Brownfield/US PresswireThe job Mario Cristobal has done in turning around the FIU program hasn't gone unnoticed.

1. Mario Cristobal, Florida International Golden Panthers: Last season was Cristobal's fourth as a head coach and just the ninth year in the history of the program. In his first season, the Golden Panthers won just one game. Last year they won seven, the Sun Belt championship, and a thriller over the Toledo Rockets in a Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl that had a national audience all to itself. Enjoy him now, FIU fans, because he'll likely be snapped up before long.

Good fit: Miami (if Al Golden leaves for Penn State)

2. Larry Fedora, Southern Miss Golden Eagles: All the Golden Eagles do is win and go to bowl games, though the program sagged a bit in the middle part of last decade. Since Fedora took over in 2008, the program has hit its stride again. Last year's 8-5 record ended with four consecutive losses, but by a combined total of 11 points. After an early stumble against Marshall, this year's team has won five in a row, including wins over Virginia, Navy and SMU. If Florida hadn't landed Will Muschamp, Fedora was on their short list.

Good fit: Ole Miss

3. Ron English, Eastern Michigan Eagles: English's first season in Ypsilanti ended 0-12. Last year they finished 2-10, ending the season with an embarrassing 71-3 loss to Northern Illinois. But after Saturday's 14-10 win over archrival Western Michigan, EMU is now 5-3, with its only losses coming in road games to Michigan, Penn State and Toledo. Don't expect English to get any job offers this winter. But if the improvement continues in 2012, he'll be outta there.

Good fit: None for this year, but California could be a destination for him in the future

Others: Kevin Sumlin, Houston; Jeff Monken, Georgia Southern

[h3]Second-chancers[/h3]
They had a great job and now they don't because of sometimes bizarre, tabloid-+*% circumstances. Now they're itching for a chance to return to the sport and prove everyone wrong.

1. Butch Davis: I did "The Experts" with him just a few weeks ago. He is restless to get back onto a sideline and anxious to show the world he's not the evil being he's been portrayed as by the media and his former boss at UNC. However, even Davis admits that landing a new job will be tough until the NCAA finally announces its ruling on the Tar Heels. A hire might also bring his son, who is currently smashing North Carolina passing records at Chapel Hill High School.

Good fit: Arizona Wildcats

2. Rich Rodriguez: Lost among the fire and fury of RichRod's three-year stint at Michigan is that he did improve by two wins each year, and brought in the talent that currently makes up the Wolverines' 6-1 squad. He's done solid work with CBS but literally looks fidgety sitting on the set. His next offer might not be as top-shelf as the Big House or Morgantown, but that might not matter.

Good fit: Colorado State

3. Glen Mason: Few outside Minneapolis seemed to be able to justify Mason's firing in 2006. In the five seasons since they've won one, seven, six, three and, currently, one games. They're looking for stability in Columbus and want to keep the job in the family. Mason was an Ohio State assistant from 1978-85 and even looks a little like Jim Tressel. Currently on the Big Ten Network, Mason is still only 61 years old. In Snyder years, that's practically a teenager.

Good fit: Ohio State Buckeyes

Others: Phil Fulmer, Charlie Weis

[h3]Wild cards[/h3]
These names are a message-board constant. They are in some sort of post-college coaching purgatory and have become near-cult heroes among their peers and fans. Will they ever move beyond the rumor mill and into reality? Stay tuned …

1. Urban Meyer: I've done TV with him three times (he's currently working as an ESPN analyst), and every time he has told me he's happy being a color commentator and a dad. Still, he'll likely be faced with some very tempting offers at season's end.

Good fit: Ohio State

2. Mike Leach: Leach's midday radio show has become a daily routine of listeners and interview guests, particularly current head coaches, calling in to say that he should be the leading candidate for every job that comes open. He'd like to take them up on that, but it remains to be seen whether he'll receive any offers after his controversial departure from Texas Tech.

Good fit: Washington State Cougars

3. Marc Trestman: The man who turned Bernie Kosar into Bernie Kosar and Jake Plummer into Jake Plummer is currently turning the Montreal Alouettes into potential three-peat CFL Grey Cup champions. The former Minnesota Golden Gophers QB was the sentimental pick to become the school's head coach before Jerry Kill was hired. He'll be a candidate there again if that job comes open at any point in the next several years (even though Kill just signed a seven-year deal, that's still a one-win team right now), but it wouldn't be a surprise if other schools took a look, too.

Good fit: Minnesota, or any of the potential Pac-12 openings

Others: Jim Tressel, Dan Hawkins

Back
Top Bottom