2012 NY Jets Off-Season Thread ( 6-10) Goodbye Tebow ....

Nah he is gonna cost either draft picks or money. He is gonna get interest from other team. We don't have playmakers to make him look decent

Our only hope is Sanchez completely turns it around under the new coordinator or he completely bombs so we get a good first next year

oline talent there. its about consistency and good play. receiver is the #1 concern on offense, but how often are rookie receivers producers the first year or 2? there's a rough road ahead.

Last edited:
Pouha was one of my favorite dudes, too.
mean.gif
Knew right away that signing free agent's wasn't they key in the FA period but restructuring contracts were.

Pouha was next up. It's unfortunate because he was a locker room presence. So was DeVito. Our team needs guys like him. Especially when our team ain't winning, we need guys like that to take leadership roles. That back didn't heal properly throughout the season and with his age and contract, it was the proper recipe for a cut.

So I expected this thread to be pretty quiet. Don't expect any big name signings even with some restructuring - Holmes' and Cromartie's (although Cromartie's may bite us in the *** next year.)

Look for role players - Mike Goodson as an RB, Victor Butler at OLB, Gibson at WR. Small signings like that.

This may be the most important draft for us in a while. This draft will indicate how long our "rebuilding" process can potentially be. Last year's group was just okay. Coples can be a dominant force but after that, there are a lot of question marks. Stephen Hill has all the athletic ability in the world but can he produce? Or will he be slotted as the next WR who will never reach his potential? Time will tell and of course it's too early to presume that. Can Demario Davis be the next MLB for us? The speed is there and apparently he has the character to be the next leader for our defensive corps, but can he produce? Bush and Allen are question marks at safety. and the next batch of draft picks didn't even see the field and got the pink slip instead.

Idzik has to produce with these upcoming picks.

Rashard Mendenhall...I'd be happy with that
we won't pay him the amount he wants.

I'm actually down to get an RB in the middle rounds. There are a lot of quality backs out there that can be had around the 3rd or 4th picks.

Stephan Taylor, Christine Michael, Andre Ellington. Shoot maybe Marcus Lattimore.

Apparently Rex and Co. met with Andre Ellington at his pro-day recently. And also Christine Michael.

God these two days have been brutal and they still have not sent me an invoice for my tickets next year. Getting ugly now. looking like our best option is to replace all these guys with some of Cromartie's kids.

So, Keller walked to the 'Fins. Good job management :smh:. The lone bright spot and *poof* gone. What is going on over there? And I saw Freeny and Abraham talking to the Pats now?? :smh: . Management makes it hard to like them, really.

So, Keller walked to the 'Fins. Good job management :smh:. The lone bright spot and *poof* gone. What is going on over there? And I saw Freeny and Abraham talking to the Pats now?? :smh: . Management makes it hard to like them, really.

Agreed on all levels.

Well here's to most likely coppin tix to games next season for about $15-20 on stubhub and a long season. If only woody could be released

Letting Keller walk to the Dolphins for basically a try out year is just disgusting... I'm not even gonna act surprised when players just stop wanting to play for the Jets. We thoroughly lack loyalty as an organization.

Letting Keller walk to the Dolphins for basically a try out year is just disgusting... I'm not even gonna act surprised when players just stop wanting to play for the Jets. We thoroughly lack loyalty as an organization.
Apparently the Keller deal offered by the Phins was a multi year deal originally.

However, Keller wanted a 1 yr deal to prove himself, in hopes to fet an even bigger deal later on (A-la-Landry).

It was a still a close call though. Between the Jets and Phins - it's just the Phins weren't rebuilding as much as we were, shown by the signing of big name guys like Mike Wallace.

I'm disgusted with the leadership of the NYJ in the past few years. How can you make such horrible roster, leadership and financial decisions? I could have done a better job managing the team. Backing themselves in a corner with Revis and the rest of these top players. Losing 5-6 starting players for nothing in return, it's sickening. And now on top of it all Rex Ryan says...well "Tebow is still under contract and he very well may remain a NYJ" bulli****...

[h1]Jets Playing “Money Ball”[/h1]March 22nd, 2013 10:00 am

It might be the similar shades of green — or the pervasive feeling of mediocrity — but the business being done in Florham Park these days is starting to look a little bit like the early 2000s Oakland A’s. Admittedly, the businesses of baseball and football are very different, but I’ll posit to you that this is as close as a team can get to playing “Moneyball” in football. Regardless of what you may think of Michael Lewis, Billy Beane or Jonah Hill, the basic tenets of John Idzik’s team building philosophy are pretty similar from a financial standpoint.

-02a780b012bb32e3.jpg

The Jets’ moves thus far this offseason have been a by-product of financial constraints in terms of the cap and an aging roster. Every player, thus far, that Idzik has acquired this offseason has a few things in common: each of them are damaged in some way, either by virtue of injury or diminished performance, oh and they’re all cheap. Yes, the Jets 2013 roster is being filled out by guys plucked from the proverbial Island of Misfit Toys in hopes that the low-risk/high-reward philosophy will pay off.

Players like Mike Goodson and Antwan Barnes are perceived by the Jets’ front office as guys that the rest of the league has overlooked or undervalued — whether or not this is true remains to be seen — but the success of the 2013 New York Jets will be reliant upon it. Idzik is controlling and paring costs off the roster in an attempt to rebuild on the fly, and overpaying for talent on the free agent market would be counter-intuitive to that objective. By the same token, Idzik’s frugality in terms of free agents does not mean that the Jets will not return to being aggressive in the free agent market in the future, but it will likely take a back-seat to the draft in terms of how this team is built.

It is safe to say that among the largest contributing factors to the demise of former general manager Mike Tannenbaum was his reliance on free agency, as opposed to the draft as the primary means of building a roster. Regardless of the moves, or lack thereof, the Jets have made in free agency this offseason, the true identity of this team will be shaped by the draft class, as well as the emergence and development of draft picks from prior years such as Demario Davis, Stephen Hill, and Kenrick Ellis (to name a few).

This shift to a “Moneyball-esque” philosophy will only be further exemplified by the inevitable departure of Darrelle Revis as Idzik will be opting for the idea of the team over the individual. Sure, Revis is an All-World player, but in the ultimate team sport “it takes a village” and no one person can continue to put themselves above the team, regardless of that individual’s skill level. Paying one player who plays the position that is the furthest away from the football — like a cornerback — simply does not make sense for a team in transition with much more pressing needs outside of the corner position.

Idzik’s philosophy is not too dissimilar to the one that has served Bill Belichick and the Patriots so well over the years: the idea of team and that outside of a few key players, most of the parts that compose the team are interchangeable. If the Eagles have shown us anything, it’s that a collection of highly skilled individuals is not the best way to win football games but rather a team of 22 guys moving in the same direction is what leads to success in this league. “Moneyball” has not proven to be highly effective in baseball, but there are aspects of it, such as finding cost efficient and undervalued players, that do have applicability to football.

We shall see whether or not this will work for the Jets. If it doesn’t we could be in for one long season.
Link

I'd be lying if I didn't say this gave me a little hope.

Last edited:
[h1]New York Jets – 2009 and 2010 NFL Draft Is Why Rebuilding Is Here[/h1]By Joe Caporoso. April 1, 2013

To help understand why the New York Jets are in a position where rebuilding is a necessity, it doesn’t take much more than a look at the team’s draft picks from 2009 and 2010. Similar to how strong draft classes in 2006 and 2007 built contenders in 2009 and 2010, poor draft classes in 2009 and 2010 built teams that weren’t playoff caliber in 2011 and 2012, and ultimately need to be rebuilt from the ground up in 2013.

Mike Tannenbaum’s inaugural draft class in 2006 wasn’t impressive just because of the quality (D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold in round one) but because of quantity. He built depth in the middle and late rounds by adding Eric Smith, Brad Smith, Drew Coleman, and Leon Washington…players who all found large, contributing roles during their Jets tenure. 2007 had quality (Darrelle Revis and David Harris in the first two rounds) but began a disturbing trend of alarmingly small draft classes. The Jets only ended up with 4 players in 2007, with the other two being Jacob Bender (a complete non-factor) and Chansi Stuckey (average player before being traded in 2009). The lack of 2007 depth was generally cancelled out or ignored because of just how good Revis turned out to be and to a lesser extent the player Harris was before last year.

2008 marked the beginning of the decline of both quality AND quantity. The Jets took 6 players in the 2008 Draft, highlighted by the bust of Vernon Gholston in the first round but almost equally problematic was the complete misses they had in rounds 5, 6, and 7. Erik Ainge, Marcus Henry and Nate Garner never took a meaningful snap for the Jets. You can’t build depth that way.

The real problems and the real reason the Jets are where they are right now is the 2009 and 2010 Draft. Two drafts, seven total picks and plenty of egregious misses which is how you end up with a current roster like this.

The Jets 2009 Draft Class was Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene and Matt Slauson. They also gave up a pick for Lito Sheppard. With Sanchez and Greene, you got two seasons where they were key components of teams who reached the AFC Championship Games and two seasons where they were key disappointing parts of teams who didn’t make the playoffs. Now Greene is gone and Sanchez is likely playing his last year in New York. You got three starting seasons from Slauson, which is solid for a 6th round pick. You got one subpar season from Sheppard. Simply put, it is not enough. If you are leaving a Draft with three players and not building any depth from the late rounds, two of those three players better be All-Pros…something Sanchez or Greene will never be.

2010 was the banner failure of Mike Tannenbaum’s tenure as the Jets GM. The Draft Class was Kyle Wilson, Vladimir Ducasse, Joe McKnight and John Conner. They also gave up picks that acquired Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes, which is the only somewhat…and I repeat somewhat positive thing that came out of this draft. Ultimately, only getting 28 regular season games from Edwards isn’t enough for a Draft Pick. For a fifth round pick what they got from Holmes in 2010 would seem to be enough but his subsequent inability to live up to his big contract has made the trade look less smart in hindsight to say the least.

The actual draft picks were unmitigated disaster. Wilson was taken at the time as insurance for a prolonged Darrelle Revis holdout. Despite being considering good value towards the end of the first round, he has proven to be nothing more than an average number three corner. Ducasse was taken with the expectation to start in Alan Faneca’s place but was easily beat out by Matt Slauson in training camp. He has since bounced around as a backup between Guard and Tackle and will unlikely ever be a significant contributor. McKnight was taken as a replacement for Leon Washington and a long term third down back but he has never lived up to that role. Conner was the icing on the cake of Tannenbaum’s draft laziness. He basically handed off a pick to Rex Ryan who liked Conner because he had some big hits in college…this is how you use a fifth round pick? The Jets actually carried two fullbacks (Wasting Roster Space 101) all throughout 2010 because Conner wasn’t good enough to merit releasing Tony Richardson. He is now off the team.

In retrospect, the Jets have this to show for the 2009-2010 Draft on their current roster – One of the worst starting quarterbacks in the NFL, an average nickelback, a below average backup lineman, a kick returner and one of the most overpaid wide receivers in football. You could extend it out to 2008 and have the same thing because nobody from the 2008 Draft Class remains on the roster.

This is why rebuilding is necessary and this April’s upcoming Draft is of such critical importance. John Idzik must build depth and flexibility, not take the Tannenbaum route of unloading picks and putting all the eggs in the basket of mediocre prospects. The best way to compensate for 7 total total draft picks in 2009 and 2010? Find a way to leave with 18-22 draft picks in the next 2 years.
Link

Last edited:
can't believe we really traded revis. jets better make this work ....

i'm literally sick tonight :smh:

Last edited:
:lol:

to be honest...feels even better that all that talk about sanchez being a throw-in in the deal never happened. glad to have dirty still QB'ing for y'all :pimp:

revis i wasn't too concerned about since we have no outside WR game anyway :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom