2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

giphy.gif

Just taking a look at the numbers...

- TS% above 56% in 4 of his 5 seasons (59% last season)
- PER consistently above 15 and moved into the 16 range the last two seasons
- positive DBPM in 4 of his 5 seasons
- 41% from 3 last year on 4 attempts (career 38% 3pt shooter)

His biggest knock is the injuries. Parsons is not a "max" player, but we did just see Khris Middleton get paid a max deal last year. I do see him as high level role player (when healthy) which is something this team desperately needs. High level role players are getting paid crazy money. We haven't had a high level role player in quite some time outside of our core guys. You can call Conley a high level role player as well and he got his "max" deal.

Tell me why you hate our moves so much broham awwsome awwsome

Bhz you my guy so you know I'm rocking with you and want Memphis to be great.

I'm not knocking Parsons talent or even the fit, it's all lines up well. He lets you move Z-Bo to the bench where he was playing really well for a stretch. He also gives you great spacing on offense especially with Marc at the high post.

The problem is the injuries, I don't trust his body at all, he's had two very serious operations including microfracture which is very iffy. If his health doesn't hold up it will be a horrible deal and there is a big chance it doesn't.

It was telling that Dallas didn't even offer him, they know more about his knee than anybody. When he's without his athleticism his whole game falls apart, you saw that when he was banged up in Dallas.

Conley is my guy, still love him as a player but he's just not a max guy no matter the circumstance. Undersized PG's after 30 always decline sharply, he's a good shooter but not an elite type like Nash who was able to buck that trend. He's still gonna be a solid player still but we've seen the blueprint to really contend for a championship.

You need a superstar or an offensively elite PG, 3 and D guys and a rim protector.

All 4 conference finals team have that, all elite teams in the league have that besides the Spurs and I'm sure that won't last long either.

your p' wet huh?

how do these contracts affect their salary cap/team if its the same contracts they would of got on a lesser of a ratio? are you dislexic? do you understand anything?

what is so hard to understand? you think last yera conley would have got 130 mil? no he would of got what he was worth, and he got what he is worth now based on the new agreement....so while you sit there tryna act like john hollinger...first shut up and realize that it don't matter...the contracts are all relative...it doesn't affect the teams...

don't beat around the bush...you are just awe struck at the large numbers...but you claim you know what you are talking about....i don't care if you betting 50 dollars on bodog...it don't make you an expert....

foh b...you expletives don't scare me....suck me before i come at you correct homie...bow down..who are you again? nobody know you...

Copper was a great choice for a name, your 2 cents is worth a penny.

Don't break your keyboard tough guy. :lol:

His biggest knock is the injuries. Parsons is not a "max" player, but we did just see Khris Middleton get paid a max deal last year. I do see him as high level role player (when healthy) which is something this team desperately needs. High level role players are getting paid crazy money. We haven't had a high level role player in quite some time outside of our core guys. You can call Conley a high level role player as well and he got his "max" deal.

I'm not knocking Parsons talent or even the fit, it's all lines up well. He lets you move Z-Bo to the bench where he was playing really well for a stretch. He also gives you great spacing on offense especially with Marc at the high post.

The problem is the injuries, I don't trust his body at all, he's had two very serious operations including microfracture which is very iffy. If his health doesn't hold up it will be a horrible deal and there is a big chance it doesn't.

It was telling that Dallas didn't even offer him, they know more about his knee than anybody. When he's without his athleticism his whole game falls apart, you saw that when he was banged up in Dallas.

I found this interesting as well. He's the only player receiving a max that wasn't offered by his own team. That has to tell you something

Last edited:
@rick_bonnell If the All-Star Game leaves Charlotte, don't be surprised if it ends up in Orlando. I think that is being considered.
Great for Orlando, even at the expense of Charlotte if it comes true.

@rick_bonnell If the All-Star Game leaves Charlotte, don't be surprised if it ends up in Orlando. I think that is being considered.
Great for Orlando, even at the expense of Charlotte if it comes true.

That would be cool. Long as they keep it in the south east....

PLEEEEEASE JUST BRING IT TO ATLANTA ONEEEEE MOREEEE TIMMMMMEEEEEE

guys would miss 2 weeks with "flu like symptoms" if they brought it to ATL.

Conley is my guy, still love him as a player but he's just not a max guy no matter the circumstance. Undersized PG's after 30 always decline sharply, he's a good shooter but not an elite type like Nash who was able to buck that trend. He's still gonna be a solid player still but we've seen the blueprint to really contend for a championship.

You need a superstar or an offensively elite PG, 3 and D guys and a rim protector.

All 4 conference finals team have that, all elite teams in the league have that besides the Spurs and I'm sure that won't last long either.

Fair enough. I can understand the concerns. The issue is that if you know we are keeping this core together for another 2-3 seasons, why not get the best player possible you can pair with Conley and Marc? We know Memphis wasn't getting Durant. They were not going to get a superstar. We were eventually going to have to pay somebody just to reach the minimum cap figure. We've seen what Memphis could do with a lack of high level role players on the team. Jeff Green, Courtney Lee, Tayshaun Prince, 35 year old Matt Barnes, 37 year old Vince Carter, etc. were not cutting it for us. I would've been more upset if we tried to hang on to Conley and used the same strategy we've used over the last 2-3 seasons. Burn out our core players, then they are all tired or hurt by playoff time.

Parsons is a huge risk. I know. But, a risk that if healthy, will definitely make our team better than it was over the last 2 seasons. It says more about how hard it is for us to 1) draft correctly and 2) get a good enough wing in Memphis to pair with Conley, Zbo and Marc. Parsons wasn't my first choice, it was Batum. Once it looked like Batum wasn't going anywhere, I'm sure we went with our next option of Parsons. I heard Barnes and Deng name come up as well. Barnes just didn't offer the ability to handle the ball, create for others, etc. So, while he was a better option health wise, he didn't fit with the group. Dang was too old and is better suited as a PF at this point in his career. Then, we start talking about the Solomon Hill's, Bazemore's (who I felt like is not as good as Parsons, but a more healthy option), etc.

As for Conley, let's just see how he plays next season. I've mentioned that he will never play up to the contract. Its more so about how having him on the court will translate into more wins and a successful playoff. No one can say what this Memphis team could've been over the last two seasons with a healthy Conley because it seems like no one remembered how dominant they were against Portland in Round 1 before Conley's injury and how good they looked against Golden State when healthy. Last season is just not a good way to measure what this team can still be.

I've been pretty hard on this FO over the last few seasons because I hate they try to patch together BS transactions and old veterans around an older core. This is the first off-season where I've felt like they are actually trying to be more competitive. It definitely gauged my interest back into the team because last season was terrible.

Crying at "ya p wet huh?" :lol:

I found this interesting as well. He's the only player receiving a max that wasn't offered by his own team. That has to tell you something

It would tell you that they already paid him a good amount of money to finish up 2 seasons ending in surgery, and don't feel the need to pay a guy coming off surgery any more money. It's pretty obvious :lol:

I was thinking Parsons would've went chose Portland over Memphis anyways. Considering most people probably think Portland is a better team than Memphis, but I think NBA players know our group of players are a little more proven than the younger team in Portland. I thought that was one of the more telling things considering he would've been an even better fit with the Blazers.

Back
Top Bottom