2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

The fact that someone said Conley / Parsons / Blake / Gasol would not be any better than the current Clippers team is al I need to know
laugh.gif
. When looking at fit, bball IQ, contiunity, etc. its not that simple as to just looking at names on paper and thinking one team is better than the other. I don't think this Clippers team will beat Memphis in a playoff series this season if they matchup if both squads are healthy.
Don't see how that's unfair to say at all though

CP, Blake and DJ have great chemistry

I'm not sure how Conley/Parsons/Gasol are better fits for Blake

Not to mention JJ spreading the floor offensively 

There is a big difference between Blake/CP/DJ and Parsons/Marc/Conley

Ultimately, its all perspective and from my perspective, Im not as high on marc mike and chandler as I would be say, two years ago.

Clips core 4 has been the best foursome in the league for 3 years and thats not an accident. I think there is a real gap between lac and memphis right now

Jordan made All NBA defense how many times?

And what kind of defender was he before he decided Defense was something he wanted to tackle?

I guess him being MJ and all somebody just gave him a bag full of IQ and skill set to get him off on the right foot.

:lol: @skillset and IQ

Jordan made All NBA defense how many times?

And what kind of defender was he before he decided Defense was something he wanted to tackle?

I guess him being MJ and all somebody just gave him a bag full of IQ and skill set to get him off on the right foot.

:lol: @skillset and IQ

They're definitely natural abilities that go into being a great defender that some will just never possess. But a huge aspect is also effort and mental capacity to do it consistently. We've seen bad or average players lock in on occasion but it comes from a want to do it as a supplement to the physical abilities. You have to have both though.

Of course an elite athlete has higher potential to be an elite defender, but to say they have the outright "choice" to be an elite defender is hilarious. As if it's a light switch

I just cant with saying a player can be a better "defender" if he wants to be. Nope
But if he wants to be a better shooter. Or dribbler. Or jump shot. Or increase his vertical. Or his 3pt %. Or FT %. :lol:

"Defender"is one of the few things you can't get better at because "you want to"

Umm kay

you can be a better defender if your starting point is that you don't even try. If you start trying, you automatically become better than when you didn't. But the range between someone that is average and someone that is elite is two highly different frequencies.

Ones need much more than just athleticism and effort. You need instinct, discipline to not bite on every pumpfake and crossover, and basketball IQ to know how and where to pressure to take away the ball handlers strengths.

Defense is 70-90% effort and 10-30% of whatever you want to call it/ IQ,skill set, understanding, awareness

you can be a better defender if your starting point is that you don't even try. If you start trying, you automatically become better than when you didn't. But the range between someone that is average and someone that is elite is two highly different frequencies.

Ones need much more than just athleticism and effort. You need instinct, discipline to not bite on every pumpfake and crossover, and basketball IQ to know how and where to pressure to take away the ball handlers strengths.

More gospel talk

"Russell Westbrook has given no indication he wants out of OKC"

Guess it sounds better than writing he has given no indication he wants to stay.

How smart

how did I miss that story about why KD said he left OKC?
what story are you talking about?
Where KD says the reason he decided to leave is Russ wouldn't commit.

WHen asked why not play a year, go for the Chip and hit FA next year and he basically said

"Now, everything just lined up, why wait a year to do something when I can get out now and move on"(loose quote, I"m looking for the article now)

Defense requires so many split second reads and perfect positioning - it really doesn't matter how athletic you are if you don't know what you're supposed to be doing IMMEDIATELY. Things are happening fast on the court. People keep thinking of defense as just man-to-man, 1v1 when it's way more than that. Obviously you need to be athletic enough to get to the spots though to be good.

Preach!

Back
Top Bottom