2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

Going through solid screens is hard af. Some are like brick walls.

Last edited:
Don't see how that's unfair to say at all though

CP, Blake and DJ have great chemistry

I'm not sure how Conley/Parsons/Gasol are better fits for Blake

Not to mention JJ spreading the floor offensively 

There is a big difference between Blake/CP/DJ and Parsons/Marc/Conley

Ultimately, its all perspective and from my perspective, Im not as high on marc mike and chandler as I would be say, two years ago.

Clips core 4 has been the best foursome in the league for 3 years and thats not an accident. I think there is a real gap between lac and memphis right now

Maybe its because I'm thinking Marc is a superior player to DJ and I think Marc will help make Blake better. Then, you can say CP3 is far superior than Conley, but what do you say if the Clippers cannot make the WCF this year or Memphis beats them in a playoff series?

JJ will not be around after this year, either. I would suspect him to go elsewhere. Maybe I'm undervaluing the Clippers. They are great during the season and against the right matchups, they can win. I just don't see them as a major threat to Memphis in a playoff series if both teams are healthy and good to go.

Once we find out how Marc/Conley/Parsons respond to coming off their injuries, it'll be eaiser to discuss. Marc was just coming off an All-NBA team appearance before last season when he came in out of shape and hurt. A lot of factors and uncertainity for this Memphis team. So, we will have to wait and see how things play out starting next year. If Memphis doesn't perform well and one of the 3 (Conley/Parsons/Gasol) goes down again, that will definitely lower their chances at pulling a star like Blake in :lol:

Goung through solid screens is hard af. Some are like brick walls.

If you're referring to that Tony Parker video...there was no screen set on Russ. He just completely lost Parker on the play.

on nah, I was speaking from my own experience on D. nah that TP9 video was awful. Russ looked like complete ****. Bruh was on a completely different side of the floor guarding the courtside seats.

If you're an elite athlete, you can play defense, period.
If you can't, you chose not to

Of course an elite athlete has higher potential to be an elite defender, but to say they have the outright "choice" to be an elite defender is hilarious. As if it's a light switch
.....annnnnnnd this is where the topic always muddys. Read my post, and then real all of the responses to it.

I suggest one thing, but the convo soon argues something else ( I say elite athlete can PLAY D, you/yall' argue elite athlete doesn't mean Elite D
laugh.gif
)

Defense requires so many split second reads and perfect positioning - it really doesn't matter how athletic you are if you don't know what you're supposed to be doing IMMEDIATELY. Things are happening fast on the court. People keep thinking of defense as just man-to-man, 1v1 when it's way more than that. Obviously you need to be athletic enough to get to the spots though to be good.
exactly.... at defense being 70 percent effort. 
laugh.gif
 you can be the best athlete in the world. if your court awareness/instincts  suck , and you have low defensive iq  you going to be a piss poor defender even if you try really hard. 

Last edited:
I remember eagle dollar was saying that elite scorers should be elite defenders as well because they're usually athletically gifted and they see the best defense thrown at them they should be able to emulate that

Not even gonna front, that Dame Lilliard song been on repeat for me at work,

Spitting dat hot fiya. 
pimp.gif

It's "mind bottling" to me that Chandler Parsons was discussed as the major key to Blake Griffin defecting to Memphis.

bhz's Grizzlies homerism shining through once again. 
laugh.gif

nthat.gif

Not even gonna front, that Dame Lilliard song been on repeat for me at work,

Spitting dat hot fiya. :pimp:

It's "mind bottling" to me that Chandler Parsons was discussed as the major key to Blake Griffin defecting to Memphis.

bhz's Grizzlies homerism shining through once again. :lol:  :nthat:  

I just don't understand why its so funny :lol: . Let Parsons go to the Clippers and everyone would be talking about how its more likely for Blake to stay now that Parsons is there. Let him go to OKC and people will talk about how likely it is for Blake to go there since its home, Parsons is his good friend and he's teaming up with Russ.

Since its Memphis, its not to be taken serious :lol: . But, people kept saying Conley was leaving and that we wouldn't sign anybody tihs year. Now that neither of those things happen, Memphis is still suppose to be laughed at? Did anyone think Parsons had enough pull to get Dwight to Houston?

I'm not even saying its a lock to happen. Just saying its a possibility and hat Memphis is in a much better position to get a Blake Griffin next offseason because of Parsons relationship with him. Why is that unreasonable to say?

Last edited:
Noto to mention just instincts and iq, but the elite defenders almost turn it into an obsession. There are numerous accounts of TA and IGGY studdying countless hours and dreaming and focusing about Guarding Kobe and Bron. They would sleep and eat and be out with their kids and whatever else, and parts of them would be thinking about putting the clamps on Bean and LBJ. Defense isn't just about being able to move your feet and staying low. It's about knowing and understanding your opponent. Where his favorite spots are. His percentages from every distance. His strong hand. His go-to move. His counter. Knowing his energy level and if he has an injuries and if any of that can be exploited. Defense has to be approached with the same effort and tenacity as offense because it is so difficult to guard the ultra elite scorers. No matter what, the defender is always at the disadvantage to the offensive player. The offensive know what he's doing next..the defense has to play the guessing game and work it out in their heads all of the differents moments and scenarios of game tape that they've watched to have an idea of what is coming next and how to stop it. And they have a split second to respond.

Athleticism gives them the ability to keep up, but its all of the mental parts that give them the capability to take all of those random sounds and make music..

Last edited:
Not to mention these Clippers lost to an overachieving Portland team that Memphis dominated the year before with a better roster (and with only having Conley for two games). I don't want to hear the excuse that Blake wasn't 100% healthy because if their talent was more superior to what else Memphis had on the roster, they shouldn't have ever lost to an overachieving Portland team. Fools were in a dog fight after 4 games before CP3 and Blake sat out the last two games.

A team as good as LAC should've at least been up 3-1 on them after 4 games. Memphis did it with Beno Udrih starting.

I just need explanations for this favoritism. I won't get it, tho

Last edited:
Not to mention these Clippers lost to an overachieving Portland team that Memphis dominated the year before with a better roster (and with only having Conley for two games). I don't want to hear the excuse that Blake wasn't 100% healthy because if their talent was more superior to what else Memphis had on the roster, they shouldn't have ever lost to an overachieving Portland team. Fools were in a dog fight after 4 games before CP3 and Blake sat out the last two games.

A team as good as LAC should've at least been up 3-1 on them after 4 games. Memphis did it with Beno Udrih starting.

I just need explanations for this favoritism. I won't get it, tho
you talking about last season's clippers who had some kinda important injuries?

you talking about last season's clippers who had some kinda important injuries?

the same clippers who had both CP3 and Blake playing in the first 4 games of the series. yes, those clippers.

why are injuries brought up so quickly to defend them, but not used when talking about memphis situation? clippers should've finished that team off in 4-5 games. memphis finished a better portland team off without their starting PG. don't bring injuries into this b

the same clippers that were top 10 in off and def efficiency last season. yes, explain to me how their injuries kept them from beating a team they were more superior than

Last edited:
the same clippers who had both CP3 and Blake playing in the first 4 games of the series. yes, those clippers.

why are injuries brought up so quickly to defend them, but not used when talking about memphis situation? clippers should've finished that team off in 4-5 games. memphis finished a better portland team off without their starting PG. don't bring injuries into this b

the same clippers that were top 10 in off and def efficiency last season. yes, explain to me how their injuries kept them from beating a team they were more superior than
huh?  Unless I am missing something here, the Warriors beat the trailblazers.  And wasn't that series tied before both Blake and CP3 went down?

That Portland team in the playoffs was not better than last years team. They lost Wes Matthews, Batum was battling an injury, Aldridge had one foot out the door. Maybe slightly more talented but not as good.

huh?  Unless I am missing something here, the Warriors beat the trailblazers.  And wasn't that series tied before both Blake and CP3 went down?
Yes, you are missing something here.  You are reading 1 post, not the entire conversation.

Back
Top Bottom