2021-22 NFL Off-Season Thread | Training Camp

Will any teams be forced to forfeit games due to COVID-19?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens to that investment if they get injured? that Investment is literally a waste of money from an owners perspective in that scenario, if it is how i understand it to be.
Klay Thompson missed 2 straight years of basketball after receiving a max contract. This is the case with any sport. Why are you acting like it's unique to the NFL? The NFL just doesn't wanna pay these dudes.

Guaranteed contracts in the NFL are interesting, football is just different than the other sports. What happens to that investment if they get injured? that Investment is literally a waste of money from an owners perspective in that scenario, if it is how i understand it to be.

From a players perspective - hell yea i hope all these dudes get what they can out of it.

Owners aren’t losing money :lol: :lol:

Klay Thompson missed 2 straight years of basketball after receiving a max contract. This is the case with any sport. Why are you acting like it's unique to the NFL? The NFL just doesn't wanna pay these dudes.
I’m not defending the NFL - I just look at it from both perspectives and i see a brutal and physical sport in the NFL and if I’m an NFL owner and I see how often players get injured - why would i want to guarantee a contract in this scenario?

The CBA and those player representatives should be fighting for more guaranteed contracts, but **** man idk what the answer is that these billionaires will be able to agree to that will be beneficial to anything other than themselves.

Stay healthy my guyyyy

I'm good with this. I agree...stay on the field and it's a solid re-sign.

Vikings a sleeper team.

A lot to learn about the new coaches, scheme, etc., but it's setting up that way. They disappoint too much to buy in just yet, but I'm sure I'll get there...just like I always do. :smh:

I'm good with this. I agree...stay on the field and it's a solid re-sign.

A lot to learn about the new coaches, scheme, etc., but it's setting up that way. They disappoint too much to buy in just yet, but I'm sure I'll get there...just like I always do. :smh:
Koc is the first coach who is willing to cater Kirk's strengths. Kirk's been putting up borderline elite numbers majority of his career in schemes that weren't tailored to him. I know he's in his mid 30s but I feel like Kirk still has unlocked potential. Their oline and cornerbacks need to be addressed though.

Koc is the first coach who is willing to cater Kirk's strengths. Kirk's been putting up borderline elite numbers majority of his career in schemes that weren't tailored to him. I know he's in his mid 30s but I feel like Kirk still has unlocked potential. Their oline and cornerbacks need to be addressed though.

Kirk is good. Was never really worried about him, despite the jokes. I disagree that they haven't catered to him though...The Zubiaks, Stefanski's, etc. did in a sense, but Zimmer was obviously defensive heavy and tried to have OCs that go with his philosophy that also somewhat aligned with Cousins' strengths. I do agree that having an offensive minded guy leading the team can bring him to that next level though...so I get what you're saying.

As an extension of the convo...if Irv Smith comes back healthy and breaks out like he was going to last season...the offense will still be explosive and probably even moreso. KJ Osborn probably gets to another level and having Thielen there rounds it out even though he's on the downside. Always gotta have Mr. Reliable, imo.

I will say every year I hear the Vikings are a sleeper team, 2019 was, 2017 was cause of Keenum’s one year of brilliance with the defense and Diggs/Thielen

We always are a sleeper because they underperform with talent. With O’Connell the hope is that’ll be different.

Would love to see the NFLPA go after a bottom up pursuit of guaranteed contracts.

Take care of the guys earning the least with the shortest career longevity first.

Thought this was an interesting tidbit from when the last CBA was agreed to

As we've been trying to explain for years now, the CBA isn't the place to secure those. NBA and MLB players were able to make guaranteed contracts the standard in their sports because they insisted on them individually in contract negotiations with teams throughout the years. If NFL players want guaranteed contracts, that's what they'd have to do.

There is one change in the new CBA that could help, however. For years, teams have cited the antiquated "fully funded rule" as a reason they couldn't guarantee large sums of money in contracts. That rule, which dates to the wobbly early days of the league when there was some doubt about teams' abilities to reliably pay their players, requires a team to hold in escrow an amount of money equivalent to the amount of guaranteed money (minus a $2 million deductible) in a player's contract.
Its also seems so hard to get the players to hold firm for longer when the CBA is up because it’s the same lower tier guys who fold because they feel like they can’t afford to miss out on the opportunity and cash

My sleeper team is the Jets
20220330_192935.jpg

And incentivized contracts can easily be manipulated. Guys may need like 1300 receiving yards and be froze out or made sit out the last 2 games of a season, just so they can’t meet the mark. It’s ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom