2021 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: Media Day...SHENANIGANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 25 I started watching in 2000. Pops worked in Newport News VA had every AI and Vick jersey under the sun.

The 01 Finals is where my Kobe hate originated. Saw the light that was Lebron in 04 as a youngin and never looked back.

Spurs pistons were such hard watches. You know the league wanted the suns
My mission in life is to make it common knowledge that Tim donaghy and his posse rigged that series against the Suns out of spite for sarver. Spurs should've never been in the finals

They referred to him as “The Basketball Chosen One” and had a church choir singing about him in his first Nike ad campaign. That alone tells you the expectations were pretty big :lol:
Commercial with Bernie Mac is one of my favorite of all time.

"The chosen one didn't ask for hops"

"Can I get a lay up"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The younger old heads getting worse than the old old heads.

I had an "old head" moment the other way myself. My nephew (19 years old) and I listening to that new Drake song Way 2 Sexy and I mentioned that this was a cool sample of "I'm too sexy" from the 90s. My nephew stared at me blankly because he didn't know that the Drake song was a sample because he had never heard the original 🤦🏿‍♂️.

I'm just a couple years away from being the old dude at the cookout defending athletes from the '90s and 2000s and making sure that young kids know about the original songs, not just the samples.

Ironically, Shaq is in great shape now. Dude never had a sloppy physique, he just didn’t apply himself.

Shaq’s always working out nowadays.

7’1” 375 is UNFAIR

Last edited:
I finally became an old head today... :smh:

I told my 16 year old nephew "you reach, I teach" when we were playing one on one.
I had an "old head" moment the other way myself. My nephew (19 years old) and I listening to that new Drake song Way 2 Sexy and I mentioned that this was a cool sample of "I'm too sexy" from the 90s. My nephew stared at me blankly because he didn't know that the Drake song was a sample because he had never heard the original 🤦🏿‍♂️.

I'm just a couple years away from being the old dude at the cookout defending athletes from the '90s and 2000s and making sure that young kids know about the original songs, not just the samples.

sheed my dude, but he gotta stop this crazy talk

best you got is going off on steph and his ankle issues.. if I remember correctly, team had to analyze how he ran and basically get him to change shh.. so could focus on that and league being more physical.. or talk about draymond and dudes who would bully him back

but hard to stop 7 ft that can go 50-40-90 and put the ball on the floor and shoot off the dribble

Ironically, Shaq is in great shop now. Dude never had a sloppy physique, he just didn’t apply himself.

Shaq’s always working out nowadays.

7’1” 375 is UNFAIR

Bill Simmons said this and I think it took completely true. The only season that Shaq took 100% seriously from start to finish was the 99-00 season where he was 1 vote away from winning unanimous MVP and won his first Finals MVP. He came into the season in good shape and that was his ideal body type to dominate. Young Shaq was more agile and quicker but lacked the girth and sheer size and of course later Shaq was just out of shape.

Imagine if we would have had five or six years of 99-00 level Shaq. The only thing stopping him from playing at that peak level consistently was his own work ethic. The very next year Shaq pretty much said "the monkey is off my back, I won MVP and a title, I'm taking it easy." He still had a ridiculous playoff run in 2001 and 2002 but the consistency wasn't there.

Last edited:
Bill Simmons said this and I think it took completely true. The only season that Shaq took 100% seriously from start to finish was the 99-00 season where he was 1 vote away from winning unanimous MVP and won his first Finals MVP. He came into the season in good shape and that was his ideal body type to dominate. Young Shaq was more agile and quicker but lacked the girth and sheer size and of course later Shaq was just out of shape.

Imagine if we would have had five or six years of 99-00 level Shaq. The only thing stopping him from playing at that peak level consistently was his own work ethic. The very next year Shaw pretty much said "the monkey is off my back, I won MVP and a title, I'm taking it easy."

young shaq was still plenty big and obviously super duper athletic, but he was just green and not like they had great leadership in Orlando to guide him

but dude was just that great of an athlete that he could add the weight and still be super athletic.. probably best to compare him to some of these super duper athletic offensive tackles that we see drop a ton of weight once they’re not asked to be 320 or whatever

but shh came too easy for him.. he was content.. he knew he could mess around in the off-season and work his way into shape in the season and ain’t no one could stop him.. but just like the rest of us, you can’t get away with the same shhh you use to when you’re in your teens or early 20s

He's just in his classic "these new cats are soft" bag right now. His criticism of LeBron is even more bizarre because LeBron came in the league in 2003, Rasheed. Literally half of Rasheed Wallace's career overlap with LeBron's. The way Sheed is talking you would think he played in the 70s 🤣

Is Rashid trying to say that LeBron would have struggled between 95-02? Because he pretty much came out of the league dominating the moment he stepped on the court in '03 🤣

The one critique that I do agree with is smaller players like Steph would struggle because of hand checking and more physical play on the perimeter but bigger guys like LeBron and KD would be equally as dominant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom