2024 Track and Field Thread — Olympic Year!!!

IATT IATT you been watching these US olympic trials for swimming?

YUP.. pretty good so far

going be real interesting how the 200 free final goes tomorrow night.. especially when thinking about the relays, since dressel only swam the heats and was 2nd overall but guys clearly have gotten faster in semis.. he’s still in the mix right now

also Ryan Murphy took it easy in the heats, basically even splitted both 50s of the 100.. but lord dude just slapped down everyone in the semis and I assume he has more in the tank for the final

i feel for Kelsi dahlia, the young girls got her.. And especially the girl who won the 1 fly, she was damn near on pace to break the WR

also I thought Michael andrew would break 58 with how he went some damn fast in heats and semis (58.19 and 58.14)

Is it true that this might be the weakest US swim team on the men's side for awhile? There's no way Michael Andrew can challenge Adam Peaty in tokyo at all right? I know Ledecky should be a lock for gold in tokyo at 1500 and 800 but what about 400 and 200? is that Ariarne Titmus girl a problem for her?

YUP.. pretty good so far

going be real interesting how the 200 free final goes tomorrow night.. especially when thinking about the relays, since dressel only swam the heats and was 2nd overall but guys clearly have gotten faster in semis.. he’s still in the mix right now

also Ryan Murphy took it easy in the heats, basically even splitted both 50s of the 100.. but lord dude just slapped down everyone in the semis and I assume he has more in the tank for the final

i feel for Kelsi dahlia, the young girls got her.. And especially the girl who won the 1 fly, she was damn near on pace to break the WR

also I thought Michael andrew would break 58 with how he went some damn fast in heats and semis (58.19 and 58.14)

Is it true that this might be the weakest US swim team on the men's side for awhile? There's no way Michael Andrew can challenge Adam Peaty in tokyo at all right? I know Ledecky should be a lock for gold in tokyo at 1500 and 800 but what about 400 and 200? is that Ariarne Titmus girl a problem for her?

peaty BEEN on his own in the 100 breast.. but as far as michael andrew, you’re thinking about that breast leg of the medley relay, really

and really it’s been that way for a bit now with American men and breaststroke.. you just need someone who can not put you in too much of a hole given your strength in the other 3 leg… brenden Hansen in ‘04 was the last guy to be a gold medal threat

like Michael andrew now is the 3rd fastest performer in the 100 breast ever after his American record (58.14).. and while peaty has been sub 57 for his world record, his fastest this year is 57.39

for the men’s team, has its very clear strengths (100 free is deep, for example).. but there have always been weak spots (distance free and even 100 free at times)

for example, that’s what’s so impressive about the upset in the 4 x 100 free relay in ‘08.. the individual guys weren’t THAT great (they didn’t have a guy who was a medal contender), Phelps broke the American record on the opening but don’t think either guy in the individual race made the final

women’s team looking kinda rough right now.. even Katie ledecky ain’t looking great (well great for her).. like that 4 x 200 relay ain’t looking great

outside of a couple girls, things ain’t looking pretty

simone manuel ain’t even make the final in the 100 free and it ain’t because of a stacked field.. or huske.. or comerford

for example, now the US women got 3 legit world record threats on the 1st 3 legs of the women’s medley relay but they still might get got by Australia because of how weak they might be on the free leg

Last edited:
seems like Australia is absolutely stacked in the 100m free for women. What happened to Simone Manuel? wasn't she supposed to be 1 of the big stars of US swimming for this olympic?

women’s team looking kinda rough right now.. even Katie ledecky ain’t looking great (well great for her).. like that 4 x 200 relay ain’t looking great

outside of a couple girls, things ain’t looking pretty

simone manuel ain’t even make the final in the 100 free and it ain’t because of a stacked field.. or huske.. or comerford

for example, now the US women got 3 legit world record threats on the 1st 3 legs of the women’s medley relay but they still might get got by Australia because of how weak they might be on the free leg

seems like Australia is absolutely stacked in the 100m free for women. What happened to Simone Manuel? wasn't she supposed to be 1 of the big stars of US swimming for this olympic?

zero clue.. she was supposed to be

but the top 2 girls going into the final are like 1.5 slower than Manuel was in 2019, which in a sprint is huge.. and that’s the fastest both girls have ever been

like I assume Katie ledecky isn’t fully rested so I could see her being a whole lot better in the olympics.. but she got a legit challenger in the 200 and 400 and maybe even 800

Ariarne Titmus?

zero clue.. she was supposed to be

but the top 2 girls going into the final are like 1.5 slower than Manuel was in 2019, which in a sprint is huge.. and that’s the fastest both girls have ever been

like I assume Katie ledecky isn’t fully rested so I could see her being a whole lot better in the olympics.. but she got a legit challenger in the 200 and 400 and maybe even 800

Ariarne Titmus?

yup.. she was just off the world records for both the 200 and 400

i mean Australians have underperformed come olympics last couple olympics.. but right now American women aren’t looking great outside of Lilly king, huske and Regan smith

but even with regan smith she probably would have been heavy favorite for 3 gold medals if olympics were just a year ago.. now, someone broke her world record in the 100 back and medley relay is in trouble with weak freestyle leg.. and there are better girls in the 200 fly

NCAAs we’re awesome this year! Loving all the underclassmen coming in and winning/challenging for titles right out the gate. Can’t wait to see what happens at trials.

Allyson Felix looks like she's got a good chance to get 1 of the 3 spots of the 400m. Lashawn Merritt gave it a try but just doesn't have it anymore

Allyson Felix looks like she's got a good chance to get 1 of the 3 spots of the 400m. Lashawn Merritt gave it a try but just doesn't have it anymore
Lol yea. Imma miss Merritt. Been watching him beast since HS.

still not sure why Kerley is doing the 100m rather than 400m, feel like his chances are a lot better at 400m

Back
Top Bottom