Chandler Could Face Mandatory Test

spacer.gif

Posted: 5/20/2010 1:58:00 AM
Source: Marc Berman of the New York Post

The marijuana arrest of Wilson Chandler Tuesday night in Queens comes as a devastating blow to the Knicks -- the kind of publicity the franchise wants to avoid as it awaits the recruitment of the image-conscious LeBron James.

The Knicks are trying to put their best foot forward. Instead, Chandler embarrassed the franchise. Of the five Knicks under contract for next season, he is one of two who matter the most.

Chandler, under the anti-drug policy, could be forced to take an immediate drug test by the NBA in the next 24 hours through "reasonable cause," according to an NBA source.

Players are tested four times randomly in a season. Three failed tests result in a five-game suspension.

Said one NBA official, "Any potential offense like this one is reviewed through the program

[h1]LeBron Isn't House Hunting In Chicago[/h1]May 20, 2010 3:12 PM EST
James_LeBron_cle.jpg
There is no truth to rumors that LeBron James is house hunting in Highland Park, writes the Chicago Tribune.

Rumors swirled that James was looking for real estate in Chicago, with some even suggesting he was doing so with Michael Jordan.

Matt Silver, an Evanston real estate agent, told the Tribune that he does not believe the rumors.

"I got about 20 text messages today from about six or eight agents, who were like, 'Are you working with (James)?' I said: 'What are you talking about?' " Silver said.

"I am pretty quiet about stuff (involving celebs). But there are lots of people in my profession who can't keep their mouth shut."

[h2]Dallas Fan Site Trying To Woo LeBron[/h2]
May 20, 2010 2:45 PM EST

dal_40.gif
A Mavericks fan site is trying to convince free-agent-to-be LeBron James to sign with the team.

Dallas fans have set up the site lebrontothemavs.com.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban tweeted a link to the site on Thursday, adding "Gotta love Mavs fans !!"

The Mavericks don't have the cap room to sign James outright, but they could work a sign-and-trade with the Cavaliers.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap/#ixzz0oV8PoWg4

Chris Boussard continued the hate on us today, saying the New York Knicks were never a relevant team in the NBA.

laugh.gif
 The more he attacks us the more i feel like we have a great shot at landing lebron. the man sounds more scared and bitter every day.

clownoz.jpg

Originally Posted by DubA169

Chris Boussard continued the hate on us today, saying the New York Knicks were never a relevant team in the NBA.

laugh.gif
 The more he attacks us the more i feel like we have a great shot at landing lebron. the man sounds more scared and bitter every day.

clownoz.jpg

roll.gif
roll.gif
WHAAAT ? %$#@ THIS CHUMP ! DUDE PROBABLY HAS LEBRON JAMES BED SHEETS

Originally Posted by DubA169

laugh.gif

clownoz.jpg
Why would anyone listen to this fool. You know who's father he looks like?
Spoiler [+]

I've never known about this chump's hate, but now he's on my list of 'tards whose opinions I don't value.

The hate is just too strong and so very obvious, he shouldn't be getting a paycheck.

Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

Dude is salty about getting fired from the NY Post (or NY Times) and he's from Ohio. Thats all you should know

Real question is what are you still doing here...

4v3k2s.jpg

119bk1x.png

Originally Posted by JPZx

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/201 ... -Kahn-3469

"Donnie will always be a special person in my career, I just visited with him Friday. I made a point of stopping by his office to tell him he’s not getting Rubio (laughter)."

-David Kahn

Bahahahaha.

Kahn a %!**#.. but that was still funny tho...

As for that Chris dude.. i wish i had the chance to smack him

One team I'm told will have interest if it strikes out in free agency? The New York Knicks might consider swapping Eddy Curry (who will be in the last year of his contract) for Arenas. ESPN.com

BUT

"We've said all along, we expect Gilbert to be back with us and he'll be back with us. You can never have enough good players," Grunfeld said. "We're going to go with the best player available to us in our situation. Good players can play together." Washington Post

looks like if this do happen then it'll be before the deadline if Wall-Arenas don't work out.

Arenas-Lebron-Gallo-Bosh-Center...IDK

The Knicks released a statement yesterday, saying, "We have spoken to Wilson regarding [Tuesday] night's incident and will not be commenting at this time." Chandler was at the Knicks' Westchester facility rehabbing yesterday from his surgeries. He is expected to be 100 percent in six weeks, but the damage has been done. Team president Donnie Walsh, coach Mike D'Antoni and an army of scouts flew to Chicago yesterday for the predraft camp. Knicks brass believes Chandler would be a perfect fit with James as a fourth-quarter, slashing-shot creator he needs to take the burden off. "Absolutely," Luchey said. "I'm not sure what will happen, but a great player of LeBron's caliber would affect in a positive way because LeBron shares the ball and is unselfish and plays with a high basketball IQ. Wilson would complement a player like that well." New York Post
John McEnroe, one of the longtime celebrity Knick fans, said he would be willing to help in the recruitment of LeBron James. "I would give him free lessons at the academy, he looks like he's already a good server," said McEnroe, who announced the opening of the John McEnroe Tennis Academy on Randall's Island yesterday. Added McEnroe, "It's not only important for the Knicks, but for the next five, 10 years, the city needs LeBron as much as the Knicks do. It would give the city an unbelievable buzz. I also hope he can bring his friends, Dwyane Wade or [Chris] Bosh with him, too. We need to end the suffering." New York Post

see that's why i was mad at that idiot boussard. he alone started these Gilbert to the Knicks rumors. the guy is a freaking clown and has no insider knowledge whatsoever, just making stuff up and then other people run with it. The Media is a joke

Do not get Arenas here. Reading Bill Simmons' book, I realized that you can't have two guys competing for "alpha dog" status on one team. Arenas will do that. You need someone like a Pippen who will gladly accept the role of second fiddle but still accepting to "take over" on night the superstar (possibly LeBron). I haven't been big on Joe Johnson since he bombed in the playoffs but I'd think he'd gladly accept that role.

This is of course considering that the first option (Bosh) doesn't sign here.

I don't want Arenas either.. I we could somehoe pull a trade with Curry i would wanna see either Monta Ellis, Samuel Dalembert or Tony Parker
Any of em can make this lineup that much better

here is the first crack at saying lebron can't do the stock stuff.

James won't be able to play stock games

Buying part of MSG not a realistic option

By Michael Salfino/ SNY.tv

0diggsdigg/l.yimg.com/ds/orion/1.0.15.10/img/badge-logo.png)">http://l.yimg.com/ds/orio...5.10/img/badge-logo.png) no-repeat scroll left top; cursor: pointer; display: block; position: absolute; top: 0pt; left: 0pt; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; height: 16px; width: 16px;">Buzz up!http:///www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=">http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u='+encodeURIComponent('http://web.sny.tv/news/ar...mp;oid=36320&vkey=18')+'&t=','sharer',626,436));">
share_facebook.gif
Post on facebook Fan Comments (0)[img]http://web.sny.tv/images/icons/print.gif[/img]print[img]http://web.sny.tv/images/icons/email.gif[/img]email

[table][tr][td]
lAwixh7N.jpg
[/td][/tr][tr][td]LeBron James would be violating the spirit of the law if he bought Knicks stock before signing. (AP)[/td][/tr][/table]The LeBron James to the Knicks story gets morejuicy every week. The latest morsel: the potential for James to use theKnicks' status as a publicly traded compnay to sneak a bigger payday.
James could just buy Madison Square Gardenstock and thus get an ownership stake. ore conspiratorial, he could buyup millions or even tens of millions of dollars worth of shares beforehe signs and then reap a quick, post-signing windfall. MSG's market capis about $1.7 billion, so every $10 million in shares equals aboutseven tenths of one percent of MSG ownership.

This will never happen strictly for business reasons, evendiscounting its questionable legality. But first a look at thearguments made this week.

The foundation of this is the expectation of a stock increaseif James signs. Seems logical. But how much are we talking? Forbesbroke down the Knicks' valuein December. The Knicks trail the Lakers only due to brand management-- 10 percent of franchise value vs. 14 percent for the Lakers. Thatalone will be worth at least $25 million and thus pay for James'salary.

Looking further, the Knicks were worth about 9.7 percent more than theLakers in 2000, says Forbes, and are now worth 3 percent less. Swingthat with James and the Knicks franchise value increases at least $59million to $655 million. But with James, the Knicks extend their 2000advantage by probably another $50 million in franchise value before theink is even dry. James is the game's most popular player. Then there'sthe MSG Network and the Garden itself. So you can see that the MSGstock should go up at least 10 to 20 percent upon a James signing. Itcould go up even more.

Forbes's Michael Ozanian wrote this week that James will only be able to get ownership of the Knicks via publicly traded stock that is not sold for any other team.
"They cannot pay James with MSG stock because it wouldviolate the league's collective bargaining agreement. But there isnothing to stop James from buying shares of MSG with his money. Thiswould allow James to in essence work for himself and capture the upsidein revenue from higher ratings on the MSG RSN, a soon-to-be renovatedMadison Square Garden and much higher profits he will bring to theseplatforms.

All well and good. Maybe the commissioner would not allow it forviolating the spirit of the collective bargaining agreement. Would thathold up in Federal court? Who knows?

But the talk-show hosts and bloggers and amateur investors havespeculated that James could get a much quicker payday by basicallybuying MSG stock cheap at the pre-James signing price and get thepost-signing bump at no risk. James, of course, knows all along whereJames is going to sign. He probably knows right now.

Since James is not and will not be an officer of MSG, that's notinsider trading, as several sources understand the law. But it'simmoral because in every transaction that basically amounts to insidertrading (irrespective of the legal definition) someone wins and someoneloses. It's zero sum. So James would be making the quick buck on thebacks of whoever sold him the stock without knowing that James was thebuyer with the insider knowledge that James clearly has. The victimscould be pension funds that represent retirees, cops, fireman, widows,orphans and more. You understand the ensuing PR nightmare.

Even if James used market machinations to really leverage thisgaming of the system to score and incredible $100 million, he's goingto give it all back and more in the damage to his public image. Jameswants to be a billionaire global icon and you don't get to be that whenyou turn yourself into Gordon Gekko.

Michael Salfino writes for the Wall Street Journal and Yahoo! and is a regular contributor to SNY.tv.

i think the article is laughable. he couldn't find legal reasons why lebron can't do this. Instead he says that lebron will look really bad. His argument is that it will hurt is public image. The bold part really mad me
laugh.gif

i was waiting for a legal argument.... but nope. so far, so good

Try Again
happy.gif

sny.........home of the mets............
grin.gif
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom