NBA slam dunks MSG stock plan for LeBron

2:05 PM By Alan Hahn

As per NBA spokesman Michael Bass regarding our earlier blog post and the report by Forbes Magazine national editor Michael Ozanian:

"Ownership of shares in MSG in a situation such as this would constitute Salary Cap circumvention."

Clearly the CBA rule outlined in my previous blog -- a player may own shares in a publicly-traded company that directly or indirectly..

the artcile keeps going but i can't read it for free

welp.... i guess he can't

but i still think the NBA will have a hard time going against their own rule.

[h1]Bosh Gives Raptors Wish List[/h1]May 21, 2010 4:09 PM EST

Bosh_Chris_tor.jpg
The agent for All-Star forward Chris Bosh has narrowed the list of his client's preferred teams down to five, sources told ESPN's Chad Ford at the NBA Combine in Chicago.

The list of teams, which includes the Bulls, Lakers, Heat, Knicks and Raptors, was given to Toronto in the event they want to work a sign-and-trade should Bosh not re-sign with Toronto.

Bosh likes the option of a sign-and-trade, rather than signing with another team outright, because he could make more money and have another year added to his deal.

The Raptors would also prefer a sign-and-trade because it would allow him to replace Bosh.

"If LeBron decides to go to either New York or Chicago, I think that's where you'll see Chris land," a source told Ford. "If LeBron stays in Cleveland, I think the process is more wide open."

Let's say Bosh and James were to talk and they wanna head to the knicks

And Raptors are looking for a sign and trade.. i know we can package Lee if he's willing to go..

But anyway we can force them to take Curry?
roll.gif
.. They might have no choice

And is Calderon available??

Bosh can walk into the room and say i'm going to NY with lebron make a deal or you lose me for nothing. It's that simple. At least now we don't have to be nervous about the whole "i don't want to be a second option" talk. we know that he would like to play with lebron.

But how would lebron feel about not having the highest salary on the team? i don't see the cavs Signing and trading him. so if we did end up with bosh and lebron, Bosh would be making more money....

and the league would have serious problems trying to make sure lebron can't by public stock. it's clear as day in the CBA. I think a lawyer and the players association would eat that up. But it could get messy.

I don't think Bosh making a few million more would bother Bron...

Lebron has a higher potential to make money outside of his NBA contract..

Which he already is.. look at his Nike contract

I like how that just slapped all the rumors bout him avoiding the media, 2nd option, and all the other bs...

[h1]Sixers Willing To Trade 2nd Pick With Brand[/h1]May 21, 2010 3:11 PM EST
The Sixers would reportedly trade the second overall pick in this year's draft to a team that is willing to take Elton Brand's contract off their hands.

Brand's deal pays him $51 million over the next three seasons.
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

curry and whatever for brand? i dunno.....

is a center/Bron/Bosh/Gallo/Brand a championship winning team? I would be very nervous. I don't thinj that's an instant championship team. Anyone know how tall Brand is?

if we can somehow get a real center our starting lineup with be tall as hell. Bron, Bosh, Gallo are all pretty damn tall.

[h1]Agent for Wade, Bosh refutes planning already in place[/h1]
Agent Henry Thomas on Friday denounced a report by ESPN that stated he had narrowed down a list of preferred destinations for Toronto Raptors free-agent client Chris Bosh.

Thomas, who also represents Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade, another pending free agent, said he has not forwarded any such list to Raptors General Manager Bryan Colangelo.

"I haven't closed the door on anything," Thomas insisted. "I haven'tgiven Bryan any lists. There is no list. This is a process that isongoing."

According to the ESPN report, Thomas had told the Raptors that Bosh'sfree-agency focus would center on the Raptors, as well as the Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks and Heat.

A party close to the situation said that while Colangelo has a list ofpotential trade partners acceptable to Bosh, the ESPN list wasincomplete.

Thomas said there is no reason to limit options this early in theprocess, with free-agent negotiations with outside teams not allowed tobegin until July 1 and free-agent signings not allowed until July 8.

"Why would I do that?" Thomas said. "We're still in a process of evaluating a lot different situations."

With the right to opt out of the final year of his contract by June 30,the same deadline as Wade, Bosh would benefit working in concert withthe Raptors on a sign-and-trade transaction should he decide to leave.

Under such a scenario, the athletic power forward could then sign forthe maximum six years at $125.5 million. Should he sign outright withanother team with sufficient cap space, he would be limited to $96.1million over five years.

Thomas said Bosh is not necessarily wed to a sign-and-trade resolution.

"I can't tell you whether it's a priority or not. Is it going to beevaluated? Sure. It will be evaluated," Thomas said. "But whether it'sa priority, we're still in a process of deciding what the prioritiesactually are."

Nonetheless, a sign-and-trade with Toronto could be difficult for theHeat, with the Raptors hardly enamored of second-year forward MichaelBeasley, the Heat's prime trade chip.

With the Bulls or Knicks, it is possible for Bosh to sign in tandem with Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James, another pending free agent. Should the Heat be able to move Beasley's contract, it could be possible for Pat Riley's team to sign Wade, Bosh and another top-tier free agent.

Wade, Bosh and James all are represented by the same agency. Wade has spoken of a possible pre-draft sitdown among the three.

"We haven't decided that yet," Thomas said. "I wouldn't be surprised, for sure, if the guys don't talk to themselves.

"But as far as there being this big pow-wow, where we're all going to get into a room, that hasn't been decided."

Ira Winderman can be reached at [email protected].
Click here to get Sun Sentinel weekend home delivery for only $1.25 per week. Type WEBSALE in the offer code box to take advantage of this limited time offer

Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 2010, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
clear.gif

UMMMMMM.......
laugh.gif

ESPN needs to be shut down
roll.gif
worse than fox news

Originally Posted by DubA169

curry and whatever for brand? i dunno.....

is a center/Bron/Bosh/Gallo/Brand a championship winning team? I would be very nervous. I don't thinj that's an instant championship team. Anyone know how tall Brand is?

if we can somehow get a real center our starting lineup with be tall as hell. Bron, Bosh, Gallo are all pretty damn tall.
That lineup is 6'8-6'9 or taller...
sick.gif

and i don't care about any list.. as long as we're still an option.. which we are

Interesting...
Under such a scenario, the athletic power forward could then sign forthe maximum six years at $125.5 million. Should he sign outright withanother team with sufficient cap space, he would be limited to $96.1million over five years.

Thomas said Bosh is not necessarily wed to a sign-and-trade resolution.

Nonetheless, a sign-and-trade with Toronto could be difficult for theHeat, with the Raptors hardly enamored of second-year forward MichaelBeasley, the Heat's prime trade chip

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

i'm still a little worried about chicago
nerd.gif

not me, not once this season did lebron said he would play for chicago,,,all he said was chicago was a nice city to be in, now New york on the other hand, lebron and both both said they would love to play at MSG, its the greatest arena in the world and wouldnt mind playing here, i take that comment more seriously then the chicago one.

with the coaches CHI is looking at, i'm not THAT worried

[h2]Sources: Nowitzki to opt out[/h2]

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

The Dallas Mavericks are expecting star forward Dirk Nowitzkito opt out of his contract late next month and become an unrestrictedfree agent July 1, according to sources close to the situation.

The Mavericks, though, continue to negotiate with Nowitzki on acontract extension in hopes of convincing him to pre-empt his freeagency. They remain confident that the leading scorer in franchisehistory is staying with the only team with which he's ever played, evenif Nowitzki winds up joining the most anticipated free-agent class inleague history.

[h4]More on the Mavs[/h4]
dal.gif

News, notes and analysis of the Mavericks from ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan, Tim MacMahon and the rest of our team. Blog.

The sides have until the end of June to reach terms on an extensionthat would keep Nowitzki off the open market, but sources told ESPN.comthis week that it's more likely -- with free agency less than 40 daysaway -- that the nine-time All-Star becomes an unrestricted free agentfor the first time in his career.

"That wouldn't change our approach one bit," Mavericks president ofbasketball operations Donnie Nelson told ESPN.com when asked about theprospect of Nowitzki exercising his opt-out clause.

"We're going to do everything we possibly can to make sure Dirk is aMaverick for a long, long time," Nelson added, describing teammanagement as "hopeful, optimistic and expectant" about reaching termswith Nowitzki on a new deal.

Although the opt-out scenario would expose the Mavericks to thepossibility of another team swooping in to sign him away, as seen inthe summer of 2004 when the Phoenix Suns stunningly pilfered Steve Nash,numerous executives around the league remain doubtful that they can pryNowitzki from the grasp of Mark Cuban, given the close bond they'veforged through Cuban's 10 1/2-year reign.

"It's impossible for us to imagine Dirk in any other uniform," saidNelson, who was instrumental in the pre-Cuban maneuverings on draft dayin 1998 that landed Nowitzki and Nash in Dallas in separate trades.

"I think his heart is in Dallas. You learn to never say never in thisbusiness, but from our perspective we will be doing everything possibleto keep him right here."

Nowitzki, who left this week for his annual return to Europe, could not immediately be reached.

Cuban likewise could not immediately be reached but insisted in arecent radio interview with KTCK-AM in Dallas that he believes Nowitzkiisn't "going anywhere."

Even if his intention is to stay with the Mavericks as opposed totesting the market, Nowitzki has at least two contractual incentives toopt out and sign a new deal, as opposed to extending his currentcontract on top of his successful history with Cuban and the team'sintention to flank him with a major sign-and-trade acquisition.

Opting out to sign a new deal, for starters, would lock in terms basedon the NBA's current collective bargaining agreement through the lifeof the next contract. Under the league's current system, Nowitzki iseligible for a four-year maximum contract from Dallas worth $96.2million once he opts out. The most he could receive from another teamis a four-year deal worth $93.1 million.

Signing a three-year extension to the last remaining season on hiscurrent contract, by contrast, would expose Nowitzki to potentialafter-the-fact reductions to his annual wage if league owners aresuccessful in their attempts to lower the value of maximum salaries inthe next collective bargaining agreement.

Players with max-salary extensions that start in 2011, such as those signed earlier this season by Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol of the Los Angeles Lakers, might be facing unforeseen rollbacks depending on how drastically salaries are reduced in a new CBA.

Another motivation for Nowitzki to opt out as opposed to signing anextension is the ability to secure a no-trade clause in a new contract.

Only players with at least eight years of NBA service time and fourseasons with the same team are eligible to have a no-trade clause intheir contracts, but such clauses can only be added to new deals. NBArules prevent major changes, such as adding a no-trade clause, to anexisting contract or an extension to a contract, which is largely whyBryant possesses the league's only active no-trade clause.

Bryant secured a no-trade provision when he became an unrestricted freeagent in the summer of 2004 and received a new seven-year, $136 milliondeal from the Lakers. Yet most star players such as Nowitzki andBoston's Paul Pierce-- who will also have to decide by the end of June whether to opt outif he doesn't negotiate an extension -- sign extensions before theyever get to unrestricted free agency, denying them the opportunity toscore a no-trade clause.

In a recent radio interview with KTCK-AM in Dallas, Cuban said: "Well,I can see the circumstances where he would opt out but not necessarilyleave the franchise. ... Dirk told me that if he can help the team getbetter, he would sign a different deal. So we made the decision to seewhat was going to be out there and how things played out and worktogether."

By "different deal," it's believed that Cuban was suggesting Nowitzkiwill consider signing for less than a max contract if he's convincedthat providing a discount will get him more roster help. Theimplication is that any financial relief through reduced luxury-taxpayments Cuban gains in that scenario would encourage him to continuepursuing expensive trades, such as the pricy midseason swap with the Washington Wizards that landed Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood.

Another round of roster retooling is expected in Dallas because thattrade -- although initially hailed as a potential landscape-changer inthe West -- couldn't prevent the Mavericks from losing to longtimerival San Antonio in the first round, thus sparking fresh questionsabout the long-term potential of the Mavs' aging roster beyond Nowitzkiand promising guard Rodrigue Beaubois.

Nowitzki turns 32 in June, which brings the league's over-36 rule intoplay. Because of that rule and Nowitzki's age, Dallas does not have theadvantage of offering him a new contract that's one year longer thanrival teams can offer. Cleveland's LeBron Jamesand Miami's Dwayne Wade, for example, are young enough to commandsix-year deals from their current clubs as opposed to the maximum fiveyears that can be offered by other teams.

The Mavericks also know that Nowitzki would almost certainly command a four-year max contract from teams such as the New York Knicks and New Jersey Netsif he fielded pitches on the open market, since he would instantlybecome one of the most coveted free agents in the 2010 class along withJames, Wade, Chris Bosh and Amare Stoudemire. So Dallas must sell Nowitzki on its plan to stay in the West's elite to get him to consent to any sort of discount.

If the sides unexpectedly reach terms on an extension before freeagency, Nowitzki is only eligible to receive an additional three yearstacked onto next season's scheduled $21.5 million because of theover-36 rule.

"I don't think Dirk's going anywhere," Cuban said in his recent radioappearance. "I said the same thing about [Steve] Nash, but I don'tthink this is a similar situation.

"Dirk'sbeen with this team more than 10 years versus four or five when Steveleft, so it's a different situation. And I think Dirk is as committedas I am to bringing a championship to the Mavericks."

Re-signing Nowitzki is a must for the Mavericks on several levels. Notonly have they won 50 games for 10 consecutive seasons with Nowitzki astheir focal point, but Nowitzki's presence is central to Cuban's planned offseason pursuit of an elite free agent.

Sources say Dallas has been planning for months to use Erick Dampier'sfully unguaranteed $13 million contract for next season and perhapsButler or Haywood as trade chips in forthcoming sign-and-trade offersfor free agents such as Cleveland's James and Atlanta's Joe Johnson, but attracting a player of that caliber rides on the prospect of teaming up with Nowitzki.

Although he has said many times that winning a championship in anotheruniform wouldn't "feel right," given his long association with theMavericks, Nowitzki would not commit to a return after Dallas' Game 6loss to the Spurs. In an interview the day after the defeat, Nowitzkireiterated that finishing his career in Dallas "was always my plan" butinsisted that "I just have to keep my options open at this point" afterthe disappointment of the Mavs' third first-round exit in a span offour seasons.

TheMavericks privately acknowledge that Nowitzki, despite Dallas' habit ofcarrying one of the league's highest payrolls every season, needs moretop-tier help to get the the team back to the Finals. Like Jamesthroughout his Cleveland career, Nowitzki hasn't played with aconsistently All-Star caliber player since Nash's departure in 2004.

EvenNash's peak was reached in Phoenix in his back-to-back MVP seasons in2005 and 2006, leaving Nowitzki to carry deep but otherwise starlessrosters for the last six seasons.

Having seen the impact of Gasol's arrival in Los Angeles on Bryant's career and the difference playing with Pierce, Ray Allen and the emerging Rajon Rondo has made for Kevin Garnett,Cuban has spoken often of his determination to strike his ownGasol-style trade. Even if Beaubois keeps developing and ultimatelylives up to optimistic comparisons with Rondo and Tony Parker, Dallas realizes it needs to flank Nowitzki with a elite sidekick.

"I don't think that you guys would disagree with me or that anybodylistening would disagree that he's earned the right to take some timeand think about things," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said during arecent "Galloway & Company" appearance on ESPN Radio in Dallas(103.3 FM).

"Let'sface it: He has had a tough run here with playoff basketball and therehave been some very disappointing endings to seasons. But I'll tellyou this -- and in the face of some of the personal things he's had todeal with -- this guy has been an absolute great player. Beyond belief.If you don't give him his due there, then you're not being right,you're not thinking straight and you're not telling it like it is.

"Give the guy some space. Let him think about what he needs to thinkabout. He and Mark will get it worked out and things will go on fromthere. But he's earned the right to have some time to ponder things."

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com and a frequent contributor to ESPNDallas.com.

more talent available this summer is good news for us imo. we'll see what happens. i think he will sign an extension

I think he only will opt out to scare the mavs into taking him seriously. But will stay at the end of the day.

Isnt michael redd a free agent too? I think we should have him around as a sharp shooter. I know he wont demand that much $$ because of his lack of play and injury.

Im not saying to make him a starter or anything, but I think if he would take a decent and reasonable salary we should pick him up.
Werent Redd and LeBron supposed to be paired up a few years back anyways?

I don't think u need an ounce of smarts to make such an obvious decision
laugh.gif

I know it's a dream scenario, but anyone think Toronto or Dallas would do an s&t for bosh/dirk with danilo as the centerpiece? Like if the player basically tried forcing management into the decision

Get bron Dirk and bosh on the same team

Knicks can still offer Lebron his own network though right? Thats not considered a share in the franchise. After all, Dolan does own Cablevision.

If Nowitzki would be willing to come to NY on the condition that they signed Lebron, I would they rather sign him over Bosh. Nowitzki seems like he would be a better fit under D'Antonis offense.

In order to get Nowitzki.... We NEED to get rid of Curry.
Can we trade Curry for the last pick in the second round?? 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by BangDak

Just imagine James-Chandler-Gallo-Dirk-Bosh.

roll.gif
roll.gif
73-9 & Championship.....
happy.gif

All starts with getting rid of Curry's contract and Nowitzki taking a paycut

Back
Top Bottom