[h2][/h2]
[h2]Abate the hate for N.Y. in LeBron chase[/h2][h3]New York-area teams have the money and the market to lure James[/h3]

By Rob Parker
ESPNNewYork.com
Archive

To: NBA America
Re: LeBron James

Stop hating.

It's been more than a week since LeBron James, arguably the biggest free agent in the history of professional sports, was prematurely bounced from the NBA playoffs.

Instead of a possible championship with the Cleveland Cavaliers, James has a big decision. He can stay there, with his championship-less hometown team, or grab for greener pastures with another franchise that has the available loot to pay him.

From the minute the season was over for James, the talk has been about every franchise -- except the New York Knicks.

Chicago, Miami and even L.A.'s step child, the Clippers, have been all the talk by media outlets, fans and message boards.

ny_glbj2_sy_200.jpg

Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE/Getty ImagesThe New York market is the place to be for King James.

The Knicks?

Nope. It's like the team playing in the biggest city in this country doesn't figure in. Worse, as if it doesn't even matter.

That's pure hate.

Now the Knicks know what the New York Yankees go through all the time. Not only do jealous fans from around the country root for them to lose on the field, but they also root against them when it comes time to try to improve their product within the rules of the game.

Hello! The Knicks didn't invent free agency. It's dumb to be mad at Knicks management for developing a plan in an attempt to bring aboard a super talent and give fans a chance to taste a championship.

It's not as if the Knicks don't have the money to pay King James.

In fact, the Knicks have the most money available to sign free agents this summer. So much so, they could sign two top-notch ballers to help rebuild a team that has been a laughingstock for more than a decade.

And it's not as if New York wouldn't deliver a stage for James. The Garden is equal to Broadway. Sure, they perform shows all over the country, but people don't fly in from all over the world to see them. That only happens in NYC.

Those who talk about the world being a global market and that you don't need New York aren't being quite honest. The movers and shakers, the big-time decision makers, the shot callers all call the Big Apple their home office.

You can't meet those people in Cleveland. Eventually, you have to come to New York to meet those people to make things happen. It's not big-city hype, it's just the way it is.

Instead, most of the talk has been about the Bulls.

Yeah, that's a great plan. LeBron should go to Chicago and play in Michael Jordan's shadow. When James wins his first championship, fans will say Jordan won six. When James wins his second title in a row, reporters will say Jordan won three in a row -- twice.

And the Bulls' roster isn't as great as most make it out to be. Even with the addition of James, it isn't a lock that Chicago would be a championship contender.

The New Jersey Nets -- with the second-most cap space available -- have been blown off as well. After all, they play in New Jersey. It might as well be Siberia, according to some.

More hate.

Hate to break it to you, but Newark is just nine miles from Manhattan.

They also want to discount the Nets' pending move to Brooklyn, which is in New York.

For all you Bulls lovers, Brooklyn has almost as many people in its borough as does the city of Chicago -- at last count, the third-largest city in the country.

You get the sense all the anti-New York talk is simply the masses hoping against hope that James doesn't make the smart choice.

They would take James in any other uniform rather than one that reads New York or Brooklyn across the front.

Where the hate comes from doesn't make sense. It's not as if the Knicks have grabbed all the free agents over the years and have won countless titles. Reporters were using typewriters, not computers, the last time the Knicks won a championship. It was 1973 for you historians.

And the Nets have never won a title in the NBA.

Yet those jealous fans and twisted media members don't want to see one of the best players in the league play in the best city.

It makes no sense -- like most of the talk discounting the power of the greatest city in the world.

[h1]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/jay_may_sway_bron_to_ny_84vrBiLKnUltgy2vee8CYO[/h1]
Jay-Z to sway LeBron to New York

Sonny: Rapper's influence bodes well for Knicks, Nets
Sonny Vaccaro, the Adidas sneaker king who has known LeBron James since James was in ninth grade, told The Post that Jay-Z could emerge as the biggest force in LeBron James' decision on free agency.

Vaccaro said Jay-Z's influence may even trump that of his top inner circle of childhood friend/business manager, Maverick Carter, notorious confidant William Wesley and agent Leon Rose.

And Vaccaro says that bodes well for the Nets and Knicks. Jay-Z has a 1.5 percent piece of the Nets, but also is an occasional celebrity-row occupant at the Garden, with his wife Beyonce.

"I don't think the Nets would be involved without Jay-Z," Vaccaro told The Post. "LeBron and Jay-Z is something that is inseparable and you almost have to include that in the equation. I think he will be consulted. It's a very good relationship. Jay-Z was LeBron before LeBron was LeBron. That's the respect LeBron shows him."

One NBA source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the person didn't want to offend James' inner circle, told The Post, "If you ask me who the most important person in this is besides blood, I'd say Jay-Z. That helps the Nets, but Jay-Z will understand it as a friend if he doesn't come. But I think (Jay-Z) helps the Knicks a lot more than Chicago."

Another NBA insider said Jay-Z's dream scenario would be James signing a contact with the Knicks with an opt-out after three years, then darting across the Brooklyn Bridge once the Nets are ensconced there. James would still be in his prime at 28.

According to a Jay-Z spokesperson, the rapper is touring Europe much of June and July but assured he and James communicate regularly. Jay-Z's public wooing of James before July 1 could be construed as tampering by paranoid NBA commissioner David Stern. Carter, James' top advisor, said James will sit down this week to look over his options.

Two years ago, with James' free-agency still far away, Jay-Z was quoted in an Esquire magazine story, saying James playing for the Nets "would be a dream for me. But he's my friend first. I want the best for him wherever he is. He's my friend before he's a commodity."

Jay-Z first met James when he was in high school. Their shindig at All-Star Weekend -- "The Two King Dinner and Afterparty" -- has become a fixture for four years. In Dallas last February, it was attended by a series of Fortune 500 executives, Nets president Rod Thorn, Chris Paul and Jason Kidd, among celebs.

At the "Two Kings" dinner in 2009, Jay-Z reportedly spoke to the audience "of a tomorrow when these two monuments to music and basketball will transform the rules of engagement for the iconic performer."

James only played the Garden once last season -- in November -- but made another appearance to attend Jay-Z's concert, with a video taken of him dancing to "Empire State of Mind." James later went back to Jay-Z's 40/40 club for the afterparty.

In Chicago two weeks later, Jay-Z dedicated his concert to James, who was in town facing the Bulls. In turn, James threw an afterparty at a Chicago nightclub.

In the inner city part of Dallas in February, James and Jay-Z attended a Boys and Girls club and gave out scholarships.

After James' Cavaliers were eliminated 10 days ago, James said his team of advisors would "execute a game plan" for this summer's free-agent frenzy. But his friend Jay-Z just may have the most pull.

That article kinda hurt. So basically...get Kang, get him at least one title in 3 years or he'll walk across the street and embarrass us.

Better than Steve Francis. I'm in.
pimp.gif

theres just nothing to talk about. almost everything fell in place for us. now we just have to finish

Originally Posted by viiheaven

Hey.

Mike Brown got fired.

Good or bad thing for the Knicks trying to sign LeBron?
to be honest, his firing doesn't matter at all.

he will leave regardless since he would be stuck with that roster anyway.

Pretty much indicates Lebron's good as gone if anything IMO.

so just wondering, if lebron really does leave ( i can care less to where) do these ohio *%$@!@ really jump off a bridge or what?
laugh.gif

Jay-Z Sees Knicks As LeBron's Stepping Stone To Nets?

New York Post - 05/24 - 11:45 AM EST (AP Photo)

An NBA insider told the New York Post that Jay-Z's "dream scenario" would be for LeBron James to sign a short contract with the Knicks that allows him to opt out after three seasons and join the Nets when the team makes its move to Brooklyn.

Jay-Z owns a minority share of the Nets and is considered a close friend of James.

Originally Posted by YEEUPP

Jay-Z Sees Knicks As LeBron's Stepping Stone To Nets?

New York Post - 05/24 - 11:45 AM EST (AP Photo)

An NBA insider told the New York Post that Jay-Z's "dream scenario" would be for LeBron James to sign a short contract with the Knicks that allows him to opt out after three seasons and join the Nets when the team makes its move to Brooklyn.

Jay-Z owns a minority share of the Nets and is considered a close friend of James.
I wouldn't like that too much
grin.gif

Thats juss speculation to me.. Why would Lebron come here to wait just to go to the Nets.. that's stupid.. He can just join the Nets now

And if he comes here we're aiming at a championship within 2 years, not just for show. Hopefully giving him a dominant big man he never played with in Bosh, can get that done

Originally Posted by BangDak

so just wondering, if lebron really does leave ( i can care less to where) do these ohio *%$@!@ really jump off a bridge or what?
laugh.gif

Well they can fly to NY. And after a Knicks game... they could choose between Brooklyn bridge or Williamsburg bridge.

[h1]Curry Ordered To Pay $1.2M Debt[/h1]

May 24, 2010 8:34 PM EST

Curry_Eddy_nyk.jpg
Eddy Curry defaulted on a $570,000 personal loan he took out in Nevada at nearly 85% annual interest, to help support his $17,000-per-month lifestyle.

Curry's debt has ballooned to $1.2 million total.

On Friday, a Manhattan court ordered Curry to pay down the debt with $75,000 monthly payments. The court also allowed the Las Vegas lender to take possession of three of Curry's cars.

Curry's lawyer said the two sides had reached "a mutually satisfactory resolution of the matter" that would make the court action moot.

That's a lot of double cheeseburgers

This dude is straight dummy. How do you have his kind of contract and end up with this? clown %**, soft %** burger.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Curry_Eddy_nyk.jpg
Eddy Curry defaulted on a $570,000 personal loan he took out in Nevada at nearly 85% annual interest, to help support his $17,000-per-month lifestyle.

On Friday, a Manhattan [food] court ordered Curry to pay down the debt with $75,000 monthly payments. The court also allowed the Las Vegas lender to take possession of three of Curry's cars.

Curry's lawyer said the two sides had reached "a mutually satisfactory resolution of the matter" that would make the court action moot.

smh.gif
*fixed*
EddyCurryBigMac.bmp

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Curry_Eddy_nyk.jpg

On Friday, a Manhattan [food] court ordered Curry to pay down the debt with $75,000 monthly payments. The court also allowed the Las Vegas lender to take possession of three of Curry's cars.

smh.gif
*fixed*
EddyCurryBigMac.bmp

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

I know it's a dream scenario, but anyone think Toronto or Dallas would do an s&t for bosh/dirk with danilo as the centerpiece? Like if the player basically tried forcing management into the decision

Get bron Dirk and bosh on the same team
blasphemy.

so phil jackson is gonna be coaching lebron on the cavs or the bulls. That Boussard stays with the inside knowledge. i wouldn't be surprised if lebron's "team" is feeding him all this info to create a buzz

whenever i hear that "the cavs have to get phil jackson to come coach lebron" i start cracking up. i mean leaving LA to go to CHI is one thing. but going from LA to CLE will never ever happen.

Back
Top Bottom