Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

If Bosh doesn't want to come here I'd be more than happy to add Lebron and Joe Johnson, and then resign David Lee. That's still a great team, and could possibly work just as well, if not better. Everyone has seen that Joe Johnson can't be the man, but playing with Lebron would mean he's the number 2 option, and he could really thrive in that role. We'd be a great shooting team, too, if it went down that way.
Thisss

Originally Posted by LIVE BOY D

If Bosh doesn't want to come here I'd be more than happy to add Lebron and Joe Johnson, and then resign David Lee. That's still a great team, and could possibly work just as well, if not better. Everyone has seen that Joe Johnson can't be the man, but playing with Lebron would mean he's the number 2 option, and he could really thrive in that role. We'd be a great shooting team, too, if it went down that way.
Thisss
How would they have room for 2 maxes and a third 10 million dollar contract?

Thisss
We offer Lebron the Max.... now how would we offered Lee & JJ?

Originally Posted by BangDak

No, lets keep hearing these "stories"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by YEEUPP

Thisss

hopefully lee takes a big paycut and we move curry ?
ohwell.gif

Im sorry but Joe Johnson is no longer considered a player I would give a max deal to. And yes it is because of what he did (or failed to do) in the playoffs.

Originally Posted by YEEUPP

Thisss

hopefully lee takes a big paycut and we move curry ?
ohwell.gif
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could go over the cap to sign a player that was already on your team. As long as we sign Johnson and Lebron first I would think this would still work.

Thats normally true, but we dont have his birds rights anymore, and we're going to have to renounce his rights so that he doesnt stay on our books anymore.

sadly, it means lee is as good as gone if we're to get lebron.

Originally Posted by BangDak

Thats normally true, but we dont have his birds rights anymore, and we're going to have to renounce his rights so that he doesnt stay on our books anymore.

sadly, it means lee is as good as gone if we're to get lebron.
NOOOOO
frown.gif
ohwell.gif

[h2]A Knicks fan just says no to LeBron[/h2][h3]Sure, it would be great to have the King -- but wouldn't it make you feel dirty?[/h3]

It was the summer of 1996, the last time the New York Knickswere in the kind of position they're in now, and I was an intern forMSG Network. One of my primary responsibilities was to deliver ourdaily press clippings to all of the different factions of MadisonSquare Garden.

One day as I boarded the elevator to deliverclippings to the secretary for the president of the Garden, a fewothers stepped in with me. One was then-Knicks general manager ErnieGrunfeld.

I resisted all temptation to grab Grunfeld and tellhim what I thought the Knicks should do. Instead, I emitted a nervouslaugh that drew his attention.

"What's so funny?" he asked.

"I'm looking forward to seeing how you spend all this money you've got," I said with a smile.

Grunfeld smiled. "Me too," he replied.

Not long after that, Knicks fans got their early Christmas presents: shooting guard Allan Houston, point guard Chris Childs and a trade that brought power forward Larry Johnson.

I'vethought about that elevator ride with Grunfeld recently, and I've beenwondering what I'd say if I got in that same elevator with Donnie Walsh.

I'vefollowed the Knicks since Red Holzman's final season as coach, 1981-82,and became a big fan of the Hubie Brown and Rick Pitino teams of the1980s. I reached an obsessive level in the early '90s, when my fatherand I had a mini-plan that netted us 20 games a year as well as ticketsto every home playoff game in 1993 and 1994. Then came college and aslow, steady decline in my interest, with a brief uptick when theKnicks miraculously beat the Heat and Pacers en route to the 1999 NBAFinals. The hiring of Isiah Thomasto run the Knicks, and the repeated horrendous decisions by ownership,served as a near-death blow to my fanhood. The damage wasn'tirreparable, but it was pretty close.

ny_g_lbj2_sy_200.jpg

Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE/Getty ImagesThe folks in Cleveland have good reason to be concerned.

Now,by the miraculous managerial maneuverings of Walsh, the Knicks are inposition to make moves that will be game-changers, and will impact thedirection of the franchise for the next 10 years.

Yet I can't get excited about it. And that has to do with a crisis of conscience taking place inside my brain.

See, I don't want the Knicks to sign LeBron James.

How in the world can a Knicks fan say that? It's heresy, right?

Well, hear me out, and then say what you wish.

I have two reasons for feeling the way I do.

Oneis that I don't want a player to come to New York simply for the sakeof his brand. Everything I've heard about The King, and all of hisactions, indicates that his brand is his No. 1 concern.

I havealways been a big supporter of players who make it clear by theiractions, not their words, that they want to be on a team. This maysound like a silly example, but John Olerud is a favorite of mine, notbecause of the way he played for the Mets, but because he and hisfamily rode the subways and made New York a part of their lives duringtheir time here.

From a Knicks perspective, an example of a player who embraced what it meant to be a Knick, both for good and for bad, was John Starks.He certainly doesn't have to work for the team now, but chooses to doso, because the Knicks are as important to him as he was important tothem. I get no sense that James is going to embrace New York in anyway, other than to enhance his commercial potential. Maybe that'sunfair, but that's my perception.

What kind of person would leave his hometown team to come to the Knicks, given the current state of the team?

IfJames joins the Knicks, their arena might as well be called MadisonSquare Zoo, because that's what it will become. Every game will be themost overhyped event imaginable, and those who own the franchise willtake full financial advantage of those who follow the team.

The talk will be of how LeBron dreamed of someday playing in the mecca of basketball. It will be so phony. And then a voice inside my head makes the point: "Is there anyone out there who would become, in your mind, a 'real' Knick?"

Ithink of the realities of professional sports and I realize that thereprobably isn't anyone who would come here just to be a part of theteam's history and New York's basketball tradition. Those days are longgone. So maybe I should put that issue aside. But it's hard.

The other issue I'm dealing with is this: I don't want to be rooting for the team that robbed the cradle.

LeBronJames is meant to play his entire career in Cleveland, just as JoeMauer is meant to play his entire baseball career in Minnesota. LeBronJames means more to Cleveland than he will ever mean in New York. He istheirs, not ours. If he leaves, a colleague who is a native of aCleveland suburb told me that LeBron will be the most hated person inCleveland, times 10.

Sports fans are not necessarily wired to besympathetic, but I feel their pain. This is a city that has enduredsuffering at a championship level, with a triple crown of heartbreakover the last few decades. The losses have been epic, with torturousdefeats by the Browns ("The Fumble"), the Cavaliers ("The Shot") andthe Indians (a walk-off in Game 7 of the World Series), with a bevy ofother moments along the way that would make even a hardened fan want togive up the games.

But plenty of hometown heroes go elsewhere. Should that really have such an impact on how I choose to root?

That'swhere I am at the moment -- a Knicks fan trying to figure out where Istand at a pivotal moment in team history. The elevator is coming soon,but I don't know that I want to get in, even if this ride goes to thetop.

Mark Simon is a researcher for "Baseball Tonight" and a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com. Follow him on Twitter at @msimonespn or e-mail him at [email protected].

another wonderful article from ESPN. Now they have "knick fans" saying we shouldn't get lebron. "lebron should ride the subway". "MSG would be a zoo"

would it make me feel dirty?
eyes.gif
yeah because stealing players makes yankees fans feel terrible. prick

Despite being a d-bag now, KG's comments on loyalty come up when I read that article.

Lebron won't get an extra ring at the end of his career because he stayed with Cleveland and chose his "hometown" over New York or Chicago.

There isn't a special place in the Hall for those who stayed their whole careers with a team. Is it nice to see? Sure, but let's not pretend like Lebron chose to play for Cleveland... they just lucked out and got 1st pick. But to me.. a ring is a ring. And that is what Lebron should focus on. This isn't KG. Ray Allen, or a lot of today's superstars, where having a championship or two cements a hall of fame/great career and is the icing on the cake. This is Lebron. And he needs multiple titles to be considered an all-time great, that's just the way it is.

If Lebron believes that Cleveland is truly the best place to get him multiple titles in the next 5 years, then he should stay. But if he thinks another team is his best choice, then winning trumps loyalty.

And that article is just more bull... the second Lebron puts on that jersey he'll be more of a real Knick than majority of the players we've seen the last decade. You want the glory days back for the Knicks? Get talent and win games, that's what Lebron and another max free agent do.

Me, True Blue, and Proshares go to the same college, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen any of them in real life
laugh.gif

BTW, good looking on that clarification BangDak. Unless we could somehow get that number 2 and take Favors I probably wouldn't go after Joe Johnson.

any hunter college heads?
nerd.gif
even tho I already graduated

oh yeah, mez one is one
laugh.gif
, he's a fellow alumn
Spoiler [+]
alright the gist of the story is that this girl is a�

now back to knicks basketball
laugh.gif

I'm as big of a lebron-hater as they come (I've recently grown to appreciate his game) but I disagree wholeheartedly w/ that article.

What's the definition of a real knick? Someone who gives their all for the team? I can think of more than a few knicks from our recent history that sucked *%+ and probably didn't ride the train either.

This ++#$%!! says he wont embrace NY in any way..Is that why his favorite baseball team is the Yankees and he has a preference when it comes to the boroughs?

Cmon son. Hopefully he comes here, I don't want any parts of Joe Johnson, and I'd rather have DLee over Bosh to be honest. Lee's got grit, and idk what bosh has.

DLee next to a legit 5 is the stuff dreams are made of.

If Lebron and Dwade want to come here and relive Beijing 08, I'm all for it.

Lebron is also a Cowboys fan so just because he likes the Yankees doesn't mean he loves everything about New York. He's a bandwagoner when it comes to other sports.

Lebron is also a Cowboys fan so just because he likes the Yankees doesn't mean he loves everything about New York. He's a bandwagoner when it comes to other sports.
the ultimate bandwagoner
laugh.gif
smh.gif
I would have despised him alot in the 90s if I went to school w/ him

Obviously but I was just addressing this dude's flawed logic:
LeBronJames is meant to play his entire career in Cleveland, just as JoeMauer is meant to play his entire baseball career in Minnesota. LeBronJames means more to Cleveland than he will ever mean in New York. He istheirs, not ours.

alien.gif
Wth does that even mean? Meant to?

Queens College anyone?
nerd.gif

Honestly, if we can somehow get Turner + Dalembert, i wouldnt mind resigning lee.

try and get rubio, ill be happy. #+$* a free agent.

Originally Posted by MeloVP

I'm as big of a lebron-hater as they come (I've recently grown to appreciate his game) but I disagree wholeheartedly w/ that article.

What's the definition of a real knick? Someone who gives their all for the team? I can think of more than a few knicks from our recent history that sucked *%+ and probably didn't ride the train either.

This ++#$%!! says he wont embrace NY in any way..Is that why his favorite baseball team is the Yankees and he has a preference when it comes to the boroughs?

Cmon son. Hopefully he comes here, I don't want any parts of Joe Johnson, and I'd rather have DLee over Bosh to be honest. Lee's got grit, and idk what bosh has.

DLee next to a legit 5 is the stuff dreams are made of.

If Lebron and Dwade want to come here and relive Beijing 08, I'm all for it.
Me too, I mean this is on some BASEketball, why do teams trade players type %+%*. Look at how quick it was to accept Artest as a Laker and forget he was a Rocket a minute ago. It took us 14 seconds to accept T-Mac as a Knick (and then he finished two games and we gave him back). I don't think LeBron will have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom