24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

signed up for CSR last fall

So far I got the 100000 (used about 40000 in flights already), 600 travel cost back (Uber, metro, flight), global entry and used airport lounges in MIA.

If anything else, the card has for sure motivated me to take more trips, and not a single regret. Not really sure what that says about me...

If anything else, the card has for sure motivated me to take more trips, and not a single regret. Not really sure what that says about me...

Flourish papi.

For the longest, the only states I'd ever been to were Nevada & Hawaii. Then NY. Then WA. Then AZ & UT. Then CO & OR. Then TX & LA. All those in the last 4 years or so.

Go explore. Wish I could take more time off to spend weeks in a different country, but for now, the US is so rich in travel locations that the little extended weekends are already awesome.

Do you get your monthly finance charge by:

Dividing your apr by 365. And then multiplying that result by your balance amount?

Last edited:
I'm just looking for some clarity on something. I have a card issued in my little brothers name as an authorized user (he's 14) is this going to help him establish a credit history if he starts using the card (or if I use it) or no? I'm getting conflicting answers via Google.

I believe it depends on the credit card company. Companies have gotten smart and some don't count authorized user activity. See if you can open a secured card for him. Minimum age might be 18 I'm not sure.

I applied for the CSR in branch yesterday and got a pending decision. I was declined right away 2 months ago. I called the reconsideration line 3X and they all told me no for being 8/24. :\

Last edited:
I believe it depends on the credit card company. Companies have gotten smart and some don't count authorized user activity. See if you can open a secured card for him. Minimum age might be 18 I'm not sure.
It's chase so I imagine the answer is no.

Got denied a CLI from discover for the first time. I wonder why..I've never missed a payment or anything. I did spend a lot this month though maybe that's why? (My statement cut on the 20th and I have $268 left to pay by the 15th). Current CL is $8700 and I usually spend between $1500-2000/month. Last statement I prob spent like 3500 or maybe even 4000 but like I said I only have like 268 left. Close to 50% utilization could be why I got denied, I assume

Do you guys lie when it asks for your income and all that stuff? Maybe I should ? :lol:

Last edited:
Got denied a CLI from discover for the first time. I wonder why..I've never missed a payment or anything. I did spend a lot this month though maybe that's why? (My statement cut on the 20th and I have $268 left to pay by the 15th). Current CL is $8700 and I usually spend between $1500-2000/month.

Do you guys lie when it asks for your income and all that stuff? Maybe I should ?
laugh.gif
I got denied recently as well. I got a letter saying that I had to wait 6 months until my next CLI. I don't know if that's specific to me, or not, but I'll just wait the 6 months and see what happens. 

Got denied a CLI from discover for the first time. I wonder why..I've never missed a payment or anything. I did spend a lot this month though maybe that's why? (My statement cut on the 20th and I have $268 left to pay by the 15th). Current CL is $8700 and I usually spend between $1500-2000/month.

Do you guys lie when it asks for your income and all that stuff? Maybe I should ? :lol:

If you've been getting CLIs like every month it's normal. Wait for the letter stating the reason why you got denied. I'm willing to bet it says "not enough experience with current credit limit". Just try again next month if you want to. There was a point where they denied me 2 months back to back but I got pretty consistent CLIs every month or every other month other than that stretch.

I requested last week wednesday and after like 4-5 days my CL usually is increased in the app but it hasn't so im sure i got denied. Im at 18k, started with 1k in april of 2016.

For you guys that have just started your credit history... how long before your credit score showed up on Credit Karma?

I have a buddy who signed up, has has a secured credit card for a couple months now... but his Credit Karma still shows no scores.  

Just made my deposit for my Capital One Secured Card.

Just kind of threw me off when they said you have to wait a full month to receive the card.

Last edited:
Plan on applying for a new CC soon... best CC for flight points anyone? 

Chase sapphire reserve 3X points on travel and dining
$300 credit for travel related purchases
Priority Pass for Airport Lounges
100k Bonus Points (in branch sign up, 50K online) points worth 50% more if redeemed through chase portal
theres more benefits but these are the cream of the crop

Annual fee is $450 but very worth it when you consider what you get back

I currently have DiscoverIT... just want to clarify the whole annual fee part.. does every CC do that? 

Could anyone explain how a personal line of credit works. My credit isn't the greatest but I was approved and in need of some extra money. Do they give you a separate card?

It doesn't exactly... so I don't really know how an annual fee works... you get charged x amount yearly just for having a card?

It doesn't exactly... so I don't really know how an annual fee works... you get charged x amount yearly just for having a card?
correct.. the CSR charges the annual fee on the date you open the card. So say you open it today March 2nd, will be charged next year March 2nd 2018.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom