24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Transunion is 720

Fico is 610

What gives?

What's the source of your "Fico" score? I know my Experian is a lot lower than the other two bureaus because banks in CA seem to like to pull from Experian. My Credit Karma from Transunion & Equifax are like 830 while my Experian from Amex is around 770.

Discover might be handing out credit increases like candy again. Just applied for a CLI and got my credit limit doubled again :pimp: Up to $6200 limit now. If only I had the income to ever flex that :lol:

They've been stingy with me. I went from 1100> 2300> 5700 to 8700 in March and they've rejected me every time I've tried since. I was being honest about my income then started lying but it didn't work. Their reason was always "not enough time with current line. " I was surprised when I got 8700 tbh :lol:

Anyone here have both the Freedom & Discover It? What are your experiences? They both have similar rotating categories, I was wondering how often does it overlap? It seems to really shine when they dont have the same category at the same quarter.  Or if you're a big spender you can rely on the other one if you reach the $1500 cap limit per a quarter. 

That's what I'm trying to do. My year 1 with discover is up in a few weeks so I'm trying to get that $175 from chase. I got my first card in December 2015 and applied for a freedom unlimited (didn't know the difference) and got rejected, hope I'm good now. I'd take the freedom but would rather the freedom unlimited

Edit: just read an article on chase UR points. About to get started on those in a few weeks :evil:

Last edited:
Transunion is 720

Fico is 610

What gives?

FICO is the middle of ur credit scores from the 3 bureaus (Transunion, Experian, Equifax) it is the score in which lenders use to qualify you for loans or credit..so either your Experian or Equifax is lower than 610 or they are both 610 (happens sometimes)

Transunion is 720

Fico is 610

What gives?

FICO is the middle of ur credit scores from the 3 bureaus (Transunion, Experian, Equifax) it is the score in which lenders use to qualify you for loans or credit..so either your Experian or Equifax is lower than 610 or they are both 610 (happens sometimes)

FICO is not a median score or any other average. Unless I'm mistaken it's calculated based on the data in your credit report which is sourced from the borrowing history reported to each of the three bureaus by any lender you choose to borrow from.

FICO is not a median score or any other average. Unless I'm mistaken it's calculated based on the data in your credit report which is sourced from the borrowing history reported to each of the three bureaus by any lender you choose to borrow from.

It's definitely the middle score..if only two bureaus are reporting it is the lesser of the two scores..not to sound quick with u but I am a credit analyst

It's definitely the middle score..if only two bureaus are reporting it is the lesser of the two scores..not to sound quick with u but I am a credit analyst
I stand corrected then. I was always under the impression that the agencies use the FICO algorithm to determine your score based on the borrowing history available to them and since each agency doesn't always have your complete borrowing history available, that was why the scores varied. 

Last edited:
I stand corrected then. I was always under the impression that the agencies use the FICO algorithm to determine your score based on the borrowing history available to them and since each agency doesn't always have your complete borrowing history available, that was why the scores varied. 

Credit reports are good for 90 days..so whatever the FICO is on the day the credit is pulled..it is good until the report expires..if it does..credit will have to be re-pulled and then the credit score will be different..either more or less..if u have any of ur credit reports lying around look at it..three scores will report and the middle score is what is used in qualifying..but that could only be used within that particular 90-day timeframe

My Experian and my TransUnion are 76 pts apart, 737 and 661. I checked and they are both showing the same things that I noticed. No colllections or late/missed payments, just have my CC usage at 60% which I need to beat down.

CLI come randomly or how does that work? Got one since I got my CC been about 11 months. Pay in full everytime. Never late. 

My 1 year with discover ended yesterday. In total I got $900.65 back. I sent a friend the referral link but he never did it, I wanted to hit $1000 but oh well

Can I get a opinion from you guys, how many cards are too many, and how many do you all have if you don't mind me asking?

I ask because capital one quicksilver has a spend 500 in 90 days, and get a $150 credit. Was going to make a purchase anyway, so I might as-well get the 150 off the final price.

Thanks in advance!

Can I get a opinion from you guys, how many cards are too many, and how many do you all have if you don't mind me asking?

I ask because capital one quicksilver has a spend 500 in 90 days, and get a $150 credit. Was going to make a purchase anyway, so I might as-well get the 150 off the final price.

Thanks in advance!

I have 5 cc's plus a charge card. That's enough for me. I closed 2 relatively new ones within the last couple months because I just didn't need that many.

Thanks in advance!

How many credit cards should I have?
The answer to that question will vary from person to person. Answering the following questions will help you get a better idea of how many credit cards you should have in your wallet.

https://www.fool.com/credit-cards/2017/04/27/how-many-credit-cards-should-you-have.aspx

Posted in the wrong thread, but...

Went to check Credit Karma and saw my score went up close to 70 points. It's still pretty bad but good to see and probably won't have to go out and purchase a cash car anymore lol.

Just got approved for a chase freedom unlimited. Time to start building these chase UR points

Thanks in advance!

I believe the rule of thumb is applying for 5 cards every 24 months. I just got approved for my 3rd card since December 2015. If you're smart with it I say go for it. Might as well try, and save $150 while you're at it

How do I activate the 5% deals with chase? I looked everywhere online and the app but I couldn't find it for some reason :lol:

I got this link from Google but is it the only way? I have to do it like this every quarter? Seems kinda weird to me I figured I'd be able to do it through the app https://creditcards.chase.com/freedommobile

Thanks in advance!

Depends how responsible you are. I have anywhere from 12-18 cards open at once. I don't carry a balance. I just juggle credit card bonuses.

Can't get a bump up for anything. Been hovering at 750 for a while now. Don't typically report high utilization & I always pay in full. Trying to hit that 800 club just to say I did it.

Back
Top Bottom