ADVICE: 38 YEARS OLD W/ J 'S........

Fellas this is our hobby (at lease one of them), and from what i was told your never to old for that. If buying/collecting shoes is something you love then itsgoing to stick with you for the rest of your life.imo I can see it now.......me 75 yrs old chillin in the garage, going through all my boxes cleaning,relacing, restuffing my shoes. posters of MJ and Kobe on the wall, playing some old rap in the background, with the neighborhood kids rolling up on there bikesasking "hey minter?!! whats with all the boxes?" "and who's that guy from the lakers?" lol this is gonna be funny.

I'm 31 and going through the exact same thing. I'm I haven't purchased a pair of sneakers (NOT 1) since the 11/12 pack dropped. I'm sure I willalways have thing for sneakers, but the older you get your priorities in life change dude. You begin to redefine what's more important and make decisionsbased on that. I'm in the process of selling my collection and think twice about it everyday. The sneakers that I KNOW I can't part with, I'm notselling. I'm sure I will continue to purchase sneakers, but I will be more selective and actually WEAR them for crying out loud. Why spend all of thatmoney on shoes and just allow the elements to rot the shoes away from the inside out...makes no sense to me anymore.

^ very true! I use to buy sneakers and then they just sit in the closet for years. As I have gotten older and wiser I realized that if I am not going to wearthem then sell them!

im 27 and i completely feel you on this, i made the wild mistake of selling alotta my jordans and ended up with nothing to show for it. nowadays, im coppin allthe shoes that i got rid of and more..so with that being said, dont get rid of your kicks if you enjoy sneakers! shoe collecting is a dope hobby for me, plus imight blow my money on some stupid %!%!!!lol shoes are a timeline brotha!!!

Originally Posted by KB8virginia

I'm 38 years old with a loving wife and a 8 month old daughter. I have roughly 50 pairs of sneakers mostly Jordans, have Kobe's, Barkley's, Penny's you name it. I've been with the sneaker collection business for about 5 years now since I migrated to the States. Of all those 50 pairs, seldom do I use them, they're all kept in the box overcrowding my closet, and 2 other closets. This past several weeks, I've been considering/thinking about retiring from this but sometimes I just could not resist!!!! Considering my age and the current crisis, DO YOU THINK IT'S WISE TO HANG IT UP, SELL MOST OF THESE 50 PAIRS AND GET ON WITH LIFE?? But on the other hand, I might regret in the end for getting rid of my J's.... what do you guys think?? I could earn some money from this and just stop buying sneakers!! DO YOU THINK I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS STUFF? HELP ME GUYS THINK....I APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP!!
KB8 you are never to old to collect anything there are people out there older then you collecting everything from wine,coins,toys,cars and etcetc.If collecting is hurting your family then i would say stop and sell what you have.but if you are keeping your family happy and it is not hurting them,thenbuy what you like not what everybody eles has.Man life is to short and nothing is promise to nobody so put the shoes on and wear them with pride i wear eveypair i own and i have more then 50 pair,so enjoy from one sneakerhead to another one.Peace
pimp.gif

what's the wrong being 38 years old & still collecting, my dad is 53 years old & he still
has the love for the jordan game it's nothing to be ashame of just keep on going.

You can retire, like many others.
I'm not the wisest on this board, but don't sell them.

You can keep them as your memory and stop buying from now on...easier said than done though!!

Originally Posted by chanjohn01

I'm 31 and going through the exact same thing. I'm I haven't purchased a pair of sneakers (NOT 1) since the 11/12 pack dropped. I'm sure I will always have thing for sneakers, but the older you get your priorities in life change dude. You begin to redefine what's more important and make decisions based on that. I'm in the process of selling my collection and think twice about it everyday. The sneakers that I KNOW I can't part with, I'm not selling. I'm sure I will continue to purchase sneakers, but I will be more selective and actually WEAR them for crying out loud. Why spend all of that money on shoes and just allow the elements to rot the shoes away from the inside out...makes no sense to me anymore.

WORD !!!! THATS WHAT I COME TO REALIZE,, F#K STOCKIN 'EM , AND START ROCKIN 'EM............. Im fitting to change my screen name ,, cause im donebuying and never sporting them ,then going to peep them just to admire them ,and bam them b!ttches are yellower than a strip club urinal...........

unless sneakers are preventing you from feeding your family...do you dog! we all need a hobby

I would just get the ones you want, and just retire...

I for one am 26 now and in Medical school. My enviroment doesnt allow me to wear my jordans on any type of constant basis. And now with alot of jordans comingout as repeats of shoes i still been wearing in tip top conditon (example being the black/carolina XII's) I can retire a happy man.

Keep the shoes bro, its part of who you are
smile.gif

If it is something your truly love you can't quit. I've sold part of my collection off once and i'm only 23 and i regret that. I'm now backup to 96 but to me its like collecting fine art. I don't just collect to say "i got these and you don't" i collect so that i can look intomy closet and admire the art i've amassed.

I just turned 30 and i been collecting since 97. i am currently in that situation and i think having all those kicks just sittin in th closet is just takenup space. I think im only going to keep the ones i really love and the rest try to get some extra cash. I think if you really love the shoes keep them untilyou just cant see yourself wearing them then sell them and let another jordan head enjoy them. Its really up to you but don't make a decision you'lleventually regret!!!

-ponyboy.

I was pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm 24, with an 18 month old daughter. I have been collecting for roughly 5 years and have over 90 pairs ofJordans and Nikes sitting in the closet, under the bed, under my daughters crib-- pretty much everywhere. I very rarely broke out a pair to wear--maybe once aweek if at all. Working a 9-5 Monday-Friday, I find dress shoes/boots in the rotation more than anything else. I had a handful of sneakers in rotation as wellthat I always found myself wearing (mostly Air Max 95s and Vans), and the rest were just sitting around collecting dust. So I finally decided about 2 weeks agoto sell off everything I don't really wear. Out of maybe 96 or 97 pairs, I'm selling off around 55-60 pairs. I've sold around 10 pairs so far andhaven't regretted it yet. The rest of my stuff will be up on ebay later this week. The way I see it, this is a way for me to break thisobsession/addiction. Though I love everything about sneakrs, I hated the fact that I couldn't stop spending so much time and money on them. I will probablynever stop buying sneakers altogether, but I will definitely spend A LOT less and choose my pairs more wisely from here on out. There are more important thingsout there than shoes, and hopefully my money can start going towards some of those things such as my daughter's savings account, a downpayment for a condo,etc. I'm estimating that the pairs I'm selling will make me around $7000-$8000.

I'm 33 and have gone through similar thoughts. There are periods where I won't buy a thing. BUT, every so often I get the bug and can't resist.Maybe keep what's sentimental homie and sell the rest you won't regret separating from.

the support on NT is overwhelming, I'm pleasantly surprised that the general consensus is keep em
smile.gif

i'm 34, had over 300 pairs. started collecting when the 16s came out. amassed a great collection then sold most of them 2 years ago cause i needed themoney. there are some i miss and others i have pictures of. because i never intended to wear them, i don't feel any feeling of loss. therefore, i had themjust to have them. that idea is wack when you get older. i kept a good handful to rock but thats about it. i mostly wear pradas and ballys to work anyways. andwhen i ball, i'm rockin the nike basketball stufff. they've put out some great shoes lately.

once you start selling them, you'll realize that the time, money and effort isn't worth the buying, storing and carrying cost of them. it brings usback to the love. do it for the love and it won't feel so bad.

it was easy to get out of the game. the 2009s look like reeboks and everything else are fusion this, fusion that. 11.5 10.5 1.5 LOL enough already. As adesigner, if i design a product... i designed it so that all the curves and lines are perfectly married. i can't imagine that one day, someone will take 2of my designs and make it an abomination. LOL

my 2 cents.

oooh man we all on the same boat... dont even have enough space for my clothes right now... them box reaching the top of the closet... so i have to move allthe clothes on one side... feel bad smetimes coz every saturday i got to go sneaker hunting lookin for smthing on sale even if i dnt need it,.... its gtingcrazy... i wouldnt sell em even i dnt wear half of my jays... dress dwn is frm thursday to sunday but i rather chill n my airmax/// lol

Back
Top Bottom