Air Jordan IV “Black/Cement” - May 4th 2019

I'm not particularly defending the 2012s, but I think it's just weird that when the new one comes out, everyone immediately hates the last version, but people were paying resale prices to get the older version just like the Concords. The 2011 Concords were selling for $400+ before the new version came out and now everyone hates the 2011. I get that the new version is better, but I won't forget the joy I had from wearing and beating down the last release.

There were quite a few purists who instantly disliked every Jordan 11 iteration from Dec 2008 - Dec 2015. The backward Jumpman, low-cut patent leather and egregiously mutilated shape were evident from the pre-release photos.

Last edited:
I'm not particularly defending the 2012s, but I think it's just weird that when the new one comes out, everyone immediately hates the last version, but people were paying resale prices to get the older version just like the Concords. The 2011 Concords were selling for $400+ before the new version came out and now everyone hates the 2011. I get that the new version is better, but I won't forget the joy I had from wearing and beating down the last release.

There were quite a few purists who instantly disliked every Jordan 11 iteration from Dec 2008 - Dec 2015. The backward Jumpman, low-cut patent leather and egregiously mutilated shape were evident from the pre-release photos.

Last edited:
Saw this earlier on Instagram. The fact that JB has embraced the "bred" moniker is honestly very depressing, but I get why they did it. Will never call them "bred".
That's what happens when marketing people who don't actually really personally get the product they are marketing are charged with coming up with creating marketing devices. They start doing what they consider "research" on the culture, most certainly including the culture of NT. Somewhere along the way, they obviously noticed SOME people using the term "bred," and because they don't have any original thoughts of their own on the matter, or any true understanding or context of the culture, they just grab the term and figure, "Hey, this is what the kids all call them, let's use it!" Never mind the fact that a lot of people find it to be a childish, lame nickname, or that Nike using it almost cheapens the image of the shoe. These are the same creative geniuses who put out shirts that say things like, "Fresh Out The Box" on them, for goodness sake. The people who let a fake pair of IIIs into a published print advertisement. It's pretty common that the people marketing a product don't actually have a passion for the product. It's just a job to them.
Here's a little secret: The culture of Jordans, of Nikes, of sneakers in general, isn't created by Nike etc. Nike just makes shoes out of basic materials for next to nothing and sells them to us. We the people are what turned all of this into a thing. Nike just co-opts what the customers actually created, then sells it right back to all of us for a hefty profit. I'm actually surprised they never put out a shirt for the XIs with a picture on the front of a guy licking the sole of the shoe. Not even joking.

Last edited:
That's what happens when marketing people who don't actually really personally get the product they are marketing are charged with coming up with creating marketing devices. They start doing what they consider "research" on the culture, most certainly including the culture of NT. Somewhere along the way, they obviously noticed SOME people using the term "bred," and because they don't have any original thoughts of their own on the matter, or any true understanding or context of the culture, they just grab the term and figure, "Hey, this is what the kids all call them, let's use it!" Never mind the fact that a lot of people find it to be a childish, lame nickname, or that Nike using it almost cheapens the image of the shoe. These are the same creative geniuses who put out shirts that say things like, "Fresh Out The Box" on them, for goodness sake. The people who let a fake pair of IIIs into a published print advertisement. It's pretty common that the people marketing a product don't actually have a passion for the product. It's just a job to them.
Here's a little secret: The culture of Jordans, of Nikes, of sneakers in general, isn't created by Nike etc. Nike just makes shoes out of basic materials for next to nothing and sells them to us. We the people are what turned all of this into a thing. Nike just co-opts what the customers actually created, then sells it right back to all of us for a hefty profit.

You're right. But unfortunately, I think sneaker culture has [d]evolved and been appropriated by the younger generation now, and that demographic prefers the term "Bred". At some point we have to acknowledge facts: these are and always have been shoes designed for and marketed to children and young adults. What makes the problem so impossible is the uniform cultural value different demographics place on the Air Jordan line. These aren't your father's Chuck Taylor's. The Air Jordan has transcended generations. Sadly, the culture no longer belongs solely to us children of the '90s.

I'm sure there were, but I'm not a purist, just a simple hobbyist as many others were as well, but, I agree. For the Concords, there were a lot of people who knew the differences but settled for what they could get or didn't buy them at all, but hundreds of thousands of others were over the moon to have them and a lot of people camped out to get them too. I'm just saying that I remember the joy of wearing more than the discrepancies. I hope a lot of people out there do too. I will be doing the same with these 2019 4s!

You're right. But unfortunately, I think sneaker culture has [d]evolved and been appropriated by the younger generation now, and that demographic prefers the term "Bred". At some point we have to acknowledge facts: these are and always have been shoes designed for and marketed to children and young adults. What makes the problem so impossible is the uniform cultural value different demographics place on the Air Jordan line. These aren't your father's Chuck Taylor's. The Air Jordan has transcended generations. Sadly, the culture no longer belongs solely to us children of the '90s.
You're correct as well, and I understand that. But there's no reason Nike has to use these goofy "new era" nicknames to move the shoes, or to tell the story of the product--other than being lazy. Imagine the types of killer retro-themed campaigns they COULD come up with, if the right people put in some real effort. It's a lot easier (and cheaper), though, to just take the term "bred," make some lame references to baking cookies, post the clip to IG, and count that as doing your marketing job well. They're just mailing it in at this point, but hey, the shoes sellout regardless. Personally, I'd love to see them go really retro ... imagine if during tonight's NBA games, suddenly one or two or three of the OG AJ IV commercials ran during a timeout. Say that "Nola" commercial for the black/cements, but on the final screen where it says "Available to Mars and the rest of the universe on February 15," they revised the text to read: "Available to Mars and the rest of the universe--again--on May 4."

It’s a shame what this all has become.

It’s a shame what it will never be again.

Shoes use to be a lot of fun.
It's whatever you make of it. Shoes are still a hell of a lot of fun to me and I'm in my 40s. It's not the SAME as it was back in 1990 or whatever, but it would actually be weird if it was, when you think about it. I make a lot of critical observations about the shoes, the company, the marketing, etc etc, but that's just my nature. I still love the stuff, though. It's like, Point Break is one of my favorite movies of all time, but I can also sit here and tell you 25 things that are stupid about it. Doesn't actually affect my enjoyment of the movie when I'm watching it, though.

I can see why they veered to use BRED...however, using the "bread" play on words is just straight stupid. I agree that whomever approved this campaign is really a low level, weak marketing person/exec. Or maybe the younger generation thinks this is funny and/or cool, and I'm just too old to think this is witty....?

I can see why they veered to use BRED...however, using the "bread" play on words is just straight stupid. I agree that whomever approved this campaign is really a low level, weak marketing person/exec. Or maybe the younger generation thinks this is funny and/or cool, and I'm just too old to think this is witty....?
The funny thing is, every generation thinks it's the first one to think of something, or to find certain things clever or amusing. We were all like that at one point. Now I just laugh when the 20-somethings who work for me are flabbergasted when I tell them, we did that eight years ago, when you were in high school, or I tell them something about something they are into that they didn't know. That's the circle :lol:

9BC2DC43-BB12-4B48-B681-23992CCBE8BB.jpeg
I can’t wait to Saturday so I can finally retire my 08 CDP IV’s.

I had the free throw line dunk (side view) poster and then a vertical sized one of MJ next to a measuring stick on the back of my bedroom door.

I couldn't afford posters.. I just imagined them. :lol:

Me too. My parents were too cheap to buy me real posters. I would trick them into buying wheaties with a poster inside or I would buy magazines with a folded up poster. I also drew my own pictures of Jordan when I was in school. All the pictures I drew always had his tongue sticking out and he was always wearing black cement 4s.

Dude i feel you. I can't believe people are arguing about the nickname of a shoe.
“Sneaker heads” can be so obnoxious man. I’ve seen a couple of the popular sneaker pages all in their feelings over the Bred ad. I’m an older guy myself been involved in this culture since the mid 90’s. I think the Bred name is idiotic, but no way in hell would I get all in my feelings about an ad campaign. These guys don’t understand how business works at all. They aren’t targeting sneaker enthusiasts like us. We are gonna buy the shoe regardless most likely. They are going after the younger hypebeast demographic. Nike/ JB doesn’t give a damn what kids are calling these shoes as long as they buy them. These guys whining about an ad campaign is just ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom