Air Jordan IV “Black/Cement” - May 4th 2019

:lol: 80 pairs. Thats it? You are def not a true 4 fan.:lol:

It would be 120, but I gotta save my money for 2 pairs of the Seattle 10's, a pair of the Ray Allen 7's, and 100 pairs of the Playoff 11's.

:lol:

The 11's, are the other model that the details are crucial on. If they put "45" on those SOOOO many people, are gonna be heated. Including myself.

The 11's, are the other model that the details are crucial on. If they put "45" on those SOOOO many people, are gonna be heated. Including myself.
You know that's gonna happen LOL. It'll be stupid, but personally I ultimately find it minor compared to the IIIs and IVs with totally jacked up shapes and cuts.
These IVs ... even though I'm one of the notorious complainers and critics, I'm likely still going to end up with a pair unless they are just atrocious like the fakes. Otherwise, as I said the other day, I'll be 50-something by the time they get them right, if I'm lucky. Still hanging onto that one little shred of hope we get pleasantly surprised with these. Definitely not expecting that, though.

I know that the low EP is true OG on the 3s, but I personally think the higher cut looks better to the overall shape of the shoe.

5858D03D-2636-420F-8712-0F07063FDBAA.gif

Just my 2 cents & please take it as a grain of salt... because honestly that’s all it is. For those of us who have actually owned the original... were we ever concerned with quality control issues?!? Lemme answer that... Naw, it was a fly *** sneaker that MJ wore... the gold standard was what MJ was personally rocking... but did we really care?!? Me personally, it wasn’t a blip on my radar... To those young bucks... lol, some even swear that the ‘99 retro is better than the OG... lmao, smh... the clone wars have begun!!! I No disrespect, I love how people are so passionate about our culture, but damn... too many self-appointed authorities on a subject that started long before the internet... I understand that as a consumer you have a certain expectation for the product that you intended to purchase... but to scrutinize every single detail?!? How many of y’all actually owned the original & if you did how cognoscenti were you of the tooling and specs?!? Lemme answer that too... nobody cared!!! You were just happy to be rocking the latest black Air Jordans!!!
#RantOver

Yeah i feel the same way.. i think some people just like to whine and others do it to show off their “superior OG shoe detail knowledge”. Like anybody actually remembers these tiny little details off the top of their head from 30 years ago. Call it “OG derangement syndrome”
I disagree with this. There are some shoes that do mean a lot to others. So the details are important. But there is a grey area here where you understand "they dont make em like they used to" to trying to appreciate the retro as it is. I dont think anyone is trying to "flex" knowledge more than they are sounding off on a forum designed to do so what they would rather see.

I hope all those complaining don't end up buying a pair so there can be more for those who want them and who don't nitpick every release like some life altering event. It's just shoes folks.

It’s people like you that made the return of Nike Air longer than it should have been. By not demanding for better then Jordan’s would be on Payless level quality by now.

For those of us who have actually owned the original... were we ever concerned with quality control issues?!?
You know why? Because there was no reason to. Nike was still on the come up, and didn't have the equity to take shortcuts, so none were taken. They really didn't start cutting corners with Jordan product until ~2004, which is why even though the 94/95 and 99-03ish retros weren't 100% perfect, the differences were not worthy of a complaint. The only complaint I remember back then was that a particular colorway wasn't re-released.

You know why? Because there was no reason to. Nike was still on the come up, and didn't have the equity to take shortcuts, so none were taken. They really didn't start cutting corners with Jordan product until ~2004, which is why even though the 94/95 and 99-03ish retros weren't 100% perfect, the differences were not worthy of a complaint. The only complaint I remember back then was that a particular colorway wasn't re-released.

The only complains I remember was the reverse Infrared receiving backlash, which is why JB changes them back like the og

And the Columbia and Oreos not having a netting

Probably missing a few more

Last edited:
I disagree with this. There are some shoes that do mean a lot to others. So the details are important. But there is a grey area here where you understand "they dont make em like they used to" to trying to appreciate the retro as it is. I dont think anyone is trying to "flex" knowledge more than they are sounding off on a forum designed to do so what they would rather see.
I get that details can make or break a shoe but pages upon pages of posts picking apart shoes that are 99% fakes and getting everyones dicks in the dirt before we even see real picks is lame. Wait til officials come out then we can pick apart all the details we want.... after i buy them and stop caring.

I get that details can make or break a shoe but pages upon pages of posts picking apart shoes that are 99% fakes and getting everyones dicks in the dirt before we even see real picks is lame. Wait til officials come out then we can pick apart all the details we want.... after i buy them and stop caring.
Fair enough. But as you know, this is what we do. We see the early pics and start talking about them. I agree with your point of saying the same thing over and over again though. But if someone is into a certain shoe enough, they are gonna sound off. Just part of it.

You’re probably totally right... I’d never know because I’m just happy to have the opportunity to own a version of the Air Jordans that Mike wore when he hit The Shot... coincidentally when the Bulls went black kicks for the playoffs... I’m well aware I’m in the minority, but what a time to be alive... albeit an altered version

It’s people like you that made the return of Nike Air longer than it should have been. By not demanding for better then Jordan’s would be on Payless level quality by now.
It astounds me how some people in here can’t understand this and will just accept whatever.

As for saying no one cared back then: I cared about quality like soles being glued on well etc. No, we didn’t analyze heights etc because they were the OGs, there was nothing to compare them to. But retros are reissues of the shoes we loved, hence why we want the SAME DAMN SHOE AGAIN, not rough approximations of them. It’s not about liking to whine or flex. When they remove aspects that were a huge part of what made the OGs so cool looking in the first place, the shoe is no longer the same, which tempers the enthusiasm and love for them. It’s that simple.

If we all adopted the who cares attitude, we’d have gotten none of the changes to some of the shoes we have in fact seen implemented during the past few years. Christ.

Well damn. What huge aspect (that made the OGs so popular) did they remove? Did they remove the ****ing wings?! Lol

It astounds me how some people in here can’t understand this and will just accept whatever.

As for saying no one cared back then: I cared about quality like soles being glued on well etc. No, we didn’t analyze heights etc because they were the OGs, there was nothing to compare them to. But retros are reissues of the shoes we loved, hence why we want the SAME DAMN SHOE AGAIN, not rough approximations of them. It’s not about liking to whine or flex. When they remove aspects that were a huge part of what made the OGs so cool looking in the first place, the shoe is no longer the same, which tempers the enthusiasm and love for them. It’s that simple.

If we all adopted the who cares attitude, we’d have gotten none of the changes to some of the shoes we have in fact seen implemented during the past few years. Christ.
I dont think we all have the who cares attitude. More than several may have the we like attitude. The BC3 was very much scrutinized as it should have been. Just like these. Expectations for great original retros should be at a high level. I like what I see so far. Just like I did with the BC3. It does not mean we are just "accepting" It simply means that we like what they are doing and still want it. I never had a bc3 with Nike on the back ever before. So, I wanted that. And have zero regrets at all. The same goes with these. Yes, I know they are not up to par with 89s and 99s, but I still want them. Sometimes I think its a crime for thinking that way in here.

I've seen 14 years of bad retros. It's what I've come to expect. Each of my purchases through that span (which isn't a lot) have all come on my own personal choice whether I deem them worthy of my money. It's not that I don't care, it's more along the lines of "what else can you do?" If I don't like it, I simply won't purchase it. If anybody remembers seeing that video that came around the launch of the "Remastered Program", I distinctly recall them saying that a lot of the factories and material vendors they used were no longer around. In conjunction with quantities being more heavily produced than what they were in the 90's - early 2000's. With the amount of releases they're pumping out, it's no wonder were left looking at some atrocities.

You’re probably totally right... I’d never know because I’m just happy to have the opportunity to own a version of the Air Jordans that Mike wore when he hit The Shot... coincidentally when the Bulls went black kicks for the playoffs... I’m well aware I’m in the minority, but what a time to be alive... albeit an altered version
And that's okay...

If you are perfectly content to own a version of the shoes that Mike wore when he hit The Shot, no problem.

I only ask that you bare with those of us who are just as passionate as you are, but maybe pay more attention to detail.

Is that too much to ask?

Just my 2 cents & please take it as a grain of salt... because honestly that’s all it is. For those of us who have actually owned the original... were we ever concerned with quality control issues?!? Lemme answer that... Naw, it was a fly *** sneaker that MJ wore... the gold standard was what MJ was personally rocking... but did we really care?!? Me personally, it wasn’t a blip on my radar... To those young bucks... lol, some even swear that the ‘99 retro is better than the OG... lmao, smh... the clone wars have begun!!! I No disrespect, I love how people are so passionate about our culture, but damn... too many self-appointed authorities on a subject that started long before the internet... I understand that as a consumer you have a certain expectation for the product that you intended to purchase... but to scrutinize every single detail?!? How many of y’all actually owned the original & if you did how cognoscenti were you of the tooling and specs?!? Lemme answer that too... nobody cared!!! You were just happy to be rocking the latest black Air Jordans!!!
#RantOver
They were never this bad. Things were fine until a couple years ago. We werent concerned because there wasnt really anything that stood out enough to be worried about.

These are my all time favorite shoe as well. I don't mind hearing people's opinion on the shoe. But the redundancy of people nitpicking every little detail every other post is extremely annoying. People are already panicking, and we haven't even seen one official pic yet.

I'm still not convinced we haven't. Why in 2019 people think authentic pairs don't get leaked? What if some of these "fakes", "UA's" that have been posted are real pairs? Or is because we don't want to believe they're real pairs? Hmmmmm.

#RantOver

I think you're missing the point. The discussion/concern is not necessarily about quality, it's about the overall shape/design/aesthetic of this retro. It's obviously pretty much a different pair of shoes than what one would remember from 89.

Yeah i feel the same way.. i think some people just like to whine and others do it to show off their “superior OG shoe detail knowledge”. Like anybody actually remembers these tiny little details off the top of their head from 30 years ago. Call it “OG derangement syndrome”

There are quite a few of us that do remember these details because we actually owned the original. There are some members who still own the originals too. There is definitely a huge generation gap on this site and when I read post like yours, it’s not hard to tell which side of the spectrum you land on. The only thing we all have in common is we like shoes. Those of us who witnessed Jordan’s career have a completely different perspective than those who were born after his years in Chicago.

Great post my man.

Back
Top Bottom