Asian Culture Discussion Thread

I think i come off as too strong at times. I have a super up front personality. Asian girls be mad timid at times. Latinas and black girls seem to feed more off that energy.

Asian girls also typically don't like to venture outside of their Asian circle. Most of my friends are latino and black so I think it made Asian girls feel uncomfortable at times.

You might be older if you've been dating for that long so idk, but just use apps. I was the same way. I dated mostly latinas and mixed girls throughout highschool. Had zero Asian friends in high school. Met some in college and ended up dating a few Asian girls when I was in college. I still heavy prefer mixed girls as an adult, but a decent amount of my matches always end up being Asian so I feel like I always end up talking to a disproportionate amount of Asian girls.

All the Asians I seen in college hung out with almost only other Asians. It seems like they don't even like being friends with other races.

I think that makes more sense if it's like within your ethnicity.

Aside from that I feel like most Asian-Americans are American influenced like everyone else here. I don't really see anything different when I hang out with my Asian friends or not Asian friends except they're more likely to be down to get hotpot/kbbq.

There are lots of Asian girls who like that aggressive energy. For sure. I think they are also the ones who don't like to date within their race. Like they have this preconceived notion that Asian men are too soft

who was it a few pages ago who said they wanted to date cambodian sistas??

excuse my generalization, but a lot of the cambodian women i grew up around in Oakland tended to date men who had that more straightforward or aggressive approach. conversely, if they weren't ****in with you, they'd let you know. i appreciate that energy and honesty.

I do think it's a special thing for a group of friends to be fairly evenly mixed.

Let's be honest. A lot of friend groups have a clear majority of a skin color with a minority of other races that are sprinkled in.

My life had a really clear pattern that I picked up on a couple of years ago. I noticed that I was working out with white ppl, working with black ppl and socializing with asians. The groups never overlap.

Yeah all races do it. I'm not even knocking it. I think it's kind of cool and helps build "Asian-American culture." And I can see how it actually has.

Just saying it's easy to just use apps if he's not in those type of friend groups.

My closest friend group was almost always completely mixed, like one of every race. I think 90% of the **** we connect on it doesn't really matter what race someone is.

Ethnicity does have a lot of unique **** to bond over though that no one else can really connect with. I can see that.

most of my friends growing up middle school/high school were korean lol (i'm taiwanese)

when i transferred to university, i lived in house with my friend from high school whose family is HK. Other roommates were cambodian, korean, and vietnamese

Capture.JPG

made some drank. 4L, cut with equal parts water so 8L of wintermelon :D

Ohhh btw. This is only something recent I've noticed about Taiwanese ppl because I did not know any Taiwanese person personally growing up.

But a few months ago I got to watching a Taiwanese drama, but I noticed that everyone on the show could pass for filipino.

I felt like I was watching a bunch of filipinos speaking mandarin. I was so confused.

My theory is that filipinos and Taiwanese ppl must cross each other's borders a lot throughout history so that's why they look similar to each other. I only brought this up with my dad but he didn't much care of the topic lol

Is this something anyone's ever noticed?

Really? Taiwanese people are fairly light skinned compared to filipinos. Are you sure you dont mean the indigenous taiwanese people?

I promise you... Maybe not everyone, bbut a lot of ppl on that Taiwanese show I watched could pass for filipino.

Filipinos have a wide range of how they can look like.

Apparently Taiwanese ppl do too. I thought Taiwanese ppl generally look Chinese, but they apparently can pass for filipino too.

Like this actress. Taiwanese actress, could totally pass as a filipina to me lol

triadprincess.jpg

If she doesn't open her mouth to speak mandarin, I wouldn't think twice of seeing her in a filipino show lol

Most Taiwanese don’t look like that. That one actually look mixed. What show was it?

Indigenous Taiwanese are pretty darkskinned, yeah.

More than 90% of the people are ethnically Han Chinese (Hokko/Hakla) though.

But yeah, compared to countries like SK or Japan, you'll probably notice more darker skinned people (especially men).

Last edited:
Most Taiwanese don’t look like that. That one actually look mixed. What show was it?
Triad Princess. It's not the specific show I was initially thinking about, but she's the only Taiwanese actress I can remember right now

If I can ever find the specific Taiwanese show I watched I'll post it. To me a great majority passed as filipino to me

Filipinos can be dark skinned or light skinned.
Indigenous Taiwanese are pretty darkskinned, yeah.

More than 90% of the people are ethnically Han Chinese (Hokko/Hakla) though.

But yeah, compared to countries like SK or Japan, you'll probably notice more darker skinned people (especially men).
There are some Japanese that can pass as filipino to me but not a great deal of them.

To me it's like this, as a filipino. Koreans can never pass as filipino to me, same goes for Chinese. Japanese ppl, some of them, but not a lot. And I need to do research but Taiwanese and filipinos look more similar than I thought 🤷‍♂️

Admittedly I don't know much about Taiwanese demographics. I didn't even realize until tonight that there was a distinction between indigenous and other Taiwanese. I am down for taiwanese history cliffnotes lol

Last edited:
The population right now is mostly descendants of people who migrated from Southern China in the 1600s/1700s. A lot came over for labor during Dutch rule.

Indigenous people are very small in population, probably like less than 5% of the population.. Also a lot of SEA people right now, most notably Indonesia and Vietnam.

Was under Japanese rule too, but don't think you'll find many people that have any sort of Japanese blood. My grandmother does speak a little Japanese though.

Back
Top Bottom