Banksy's Back In NYC

I wonder if Banksy will sell pictures at the park again.

I wonder if Banksy will sell pictures at the park again.
I doubt he's gonna do anything like that again..and he didn't sell them...do u remember he bought a painting from a thrift shop..'edited' it and brought it back? He might do something like that since it is inconspicuous

I get the graffiti argument against Banksy. First time I heard of Banksy, I sort of felt the same way. But then I realized that graff and street art are not one in the same. Banksy is definitely inspired by graff but he's primarily a stencil artist, that's not real graff. But that doesn't mean that it sucks, it's just something different.

He's not for every one, just like graffiti isn't for every one. But graff standards change all of the time. A lot of writers from the 70s and 80s thought graff died when the train era ended. The generation after them thought different because they didn't have the trains. Realistically if you're in your 40s and still trying to be an active vandal without getting paid for it, you're taking an L. That's why a lot of these writers now are doing things artistically that would have labeled them sell outs years ago. Street Art, commissioned work, fashion, etc are the avenues to take as you get older and you still have a passion for the art and not just being a vandal. An active vandal with a wife and kids is corny as hell tbh.

They’re definitely two different things that I can respect and appreciate separately to me.

There’s tons of street artists who I see much different than I do a ‘Domin’ tag out in Queens. I’ve always grown up knowing graffiti being that my dad would tell me stories. Street art is something new that is a lot less raw, but can be just as beautiful. I view them with similar levels of respect and reverence.

Long as we acknowledge the difference between the two, I can’t see how either steps on the other’s toes.

Because a lot of that street art **** gets put up over writers work.
Because the public are hypocrites. Wouldn't be street art as you know it without graffiti writers risking their lives which inspired your favorite street artists.
Because some of these dudes don't respect the culture.

Does Banksy respect the culture? I didn’t know he used stencils.

As far as trains going away, ris continued after 89 (the last year trains regularly were covered in graffiti and still made it into circulation in nyc) and today ppl still hit trains although a lot of them don't go into service and a lot of ppl doing it are Europeans coming to the Mecca to chase what once was. With that said, it's def becoming more frequent and not all of those writers are foreigners or out of towners but we'll stop there.

And trucks are the new trains right now and have been for awhile.

And all elevated lines in nyc and tunnels along train lines have more graffiti than a lot of cities if not all in the u.s. combined. Easily. That's a direct result of the crackdown of graffiti on trains.

Anyway that's a different topic so ill stop.

What I will stress is that there has never been and will never be an age limit to something that takes a long time to perfect.

There are many older writers doing their thing and from all backgrounds. Not everyone is into making money off of it and for a lot it goes directly against what makes graffiti graffiti.

Growing up writing and being around the culture for awhile during the high school years, it's funny to see the whole Banksy argument. It's a waste of time arguing with some hipster clowns about a culture they know nothing good about.

I remember when Daim was doing them 3d burners and everybody was hating, not that it's similar but it was his lane for awhile.

Banksy fills the void for a new type of lane not that I'm against it, but it's whatever. A clean fill, throwy, end to end, clean hands will always trump a pre made stencil any day.

It's dope to see kaws eating cause dude put in major work. Saw tons of his whole cars way on the westcoast as a kid.

As far as trains going away, ris continued after 89 (the last year trains regularly were covered in graffiti and still made it into circulation in nyc) and today ppl still hit trains although a lot of them don't go into service and a lot of ppl doing it are Europeans coming to the Mecca to chase what once was. With that said, it's def becoming more frequent and not all of those writers are foreigners or out of towners but we'll stop there.

And trucks are the new trains right now and have been for awhile.

And all elevated lines in nyc and tunnels along train lines have more graffiti than a lot of cities if not all in the u.s. combined. Easily. That's a direct result of the crackdown of graffiti on trains.

Anyway that's a different topic so ill stop.

What I will stress is that there has never been and will never be an age limit to something that takes a long time to perfect.

There are many older writers doing their thing and from all backgrounds. Not everyone is into making money off of it and for a lot it goes directly against what makes graffiti graffiti.

I’ll never forget growing up in NYC early 80’s.

Subway looked like a war zone fam; trains would come into the station so bombed that you couldn’t even tell what line it was. The insides of the car was no different; throw ups, tags, candle joints, using box cutters on the plexiglass, everything.

As a yute (5-9years old) I would think to myself “Yo; somebody took time to do this. The stayed up late and came out they house to make these trains look beautiful.” I don’t even know if I identified it as art back then; all I know is that the trains (like the rest of the city) looked crazy. But the graff helped it look better.

IT WAS NEVER A MAINSTREAM THING WITH WRITING, TAGGING, BOMBIMG UNTIL THE MONEY GOT INVOLVED.

That changed everything. That’s why the OGs (in this thread and elsewhere) feel the way we do.

I’ve always admired and respected Graff writers. Even the writers from Europe, Africa, South America, Asia, wherever all respected this culture.

But when it became about the money (Exit Through the Giftshop, How to sell a Banksy, etc.) I a saw the writing on the wall.

If you want to get a sense of what i’m saying, check out Stlye Wars, Wildstyle, and even Beat Street. They’ll give you a true sense of the culture I the late 70’s early 80’s.

He uses all types of media tho

image.png

I went to the Banksy show when it came to LA's skid row.... def changed my opinion of him but then again it was only a handful of resources on him, and the internet wasn't what it was 12 years ago

Get this...

The LA BROAD museums exit is through the gift shop

That's most likely something done on purpose and a nod to Banksy

Also when KNOWN GALLERY opened next to Supreme on Fairfax they opened with a who's who of Graf artists selling their stuff cheap

We're talking authentic future canvases for 500

It was crazy SABER and AUGOR tagged up the murakami billboard MAN it was nuts

Hypebeast posted the supreme holographic boss logos were dropping so we drove out to LA to see the AUGOR there will be blood piece...
augor-there-will-br-blood.jpg

Literally just walked to the counter and bought some box logos lol....

Then some kid was trying to sell us his mixtape CD outside Workmans cuz I was buying some fat caps to rep... we looked at this toy dressed in nothing but Abercrombie and fitch and said pssssshhhh hell naw we kind of wearing supreme rn... anyways we went back to Los Alamitos after that

Any of you toys still wear Abercrombie one ya self

There's a lot of toys coming out of NYC

Only heat you ladies got over there in NYC is Sheck Wes and Shmookie Margiella as far as up & Coming rappers but other than that it's like BK TOY STORE over there

Last edited:
Because I don't even know if this dude can even rock a tag. Stencils and wheatpaste are not graffiti. Some of that obey stuff looked dope but it's not real graffiti.

banksys being a famous Graff artist is equivalent to a cat playing in the NBA but he don't dribble. He just gets the ball and runs straight to the cup but the ref never calls travels...and then said guy gets a max contract shoe deal and star in spacejam 2

Coming up with your own tags and throwys takes years. Graffiti is about style and bombing. Manipulating letters. Not buying balloon letters and taping them to a wall foh

This kinda pissed me off, but it is what it is.
2D164291-03CA-4E2E-BCBA-BD433101678D.jpeg

It's part of the game. That's why I've tried to check out each piece as quickly as possible. When I saw that one, it still hadn't been tagged yet. Honestly, I would respect it more if they just dissed the piece instead of spot jocking it, that's just real corny. Although I saw that people used White paint to paint over those tags so it looks better.

It's part of the game. That's why I've tried to check out each piece as quickly as possible. When I saw that one, it still hadn't been tagged yet. Honestly, I would respect it more if they just dissed the piece instead of spot jocking it, that's just real corny. Although I saw that people used White paint to paint over those tags so it looks better.
I saw it the day before it was tagged too.

I wonder how saber feels about that piece that took him a billion cans to complete that could be seen by satellites in space that was taken out by writers from NYC in 30 min.

I wonder. #clever

Tagging over a piece is basically giving respect..ur paying attention

Na that was definitely disrespectful.
Outside of like 748484 fills on top of it, it literally said "no respect, suckers" over it.

Wild disrespectful, but it is what it is.

Pretty sure it's been cleaned up since then, though. It was tagged over on Saturday when I stopped by.

I've never understood the hate for Banksy. Especially from other artist's.

Whether you like his work or not i don't see how you can't appreciate what he has achieved as far as exposure and the mystique around his persona.

If you're an artist and you're mad that you're not getting the praise you 'deserve' you need to adapt.

Firstly your mindset and being supportive of other artist's accomplishments and if success is a priority maybe you need to change your approach to your own work.

If you're deemed to be a legend and have been at the top of your craft for decades, you should be eating well enough to not concern yourself with the success of others. If not you're probably doing something wrong.

You see the same **** in Hip Hop. Sometimes you can keep it too real.

Last edited:
I've never understood the hate for Banksy. Especially from other artist's.

Whether you like his work or not i don't see how you can't appreciate what he has achieved as far as exposure and the mystic around his persona.

If you're an artist and you're mad that you're not getting the praise you 'deserve' you need to adapt.

Firstly your mindset and being supportive of other artist's accomplishments and if success is a priority maybe you need to change your approach to your own work.

If you're deemed to be a legend and have been at the top of your craft for decades, you should be eating well enough to not concern yourself with the success of others. If not you're probably doing something wrong.

You see the same **** in Hip Hop. Sometimes you can keep it too real.

It's actually simple, hes not a writer. There's a huge difference between him and kaws or stash or hundreds of raw bombers in the UK. Where's Banksy whole cars, burners/ throws? No comparison at all, unless you're in the culture you wouldn't understand.

I guarantee if you go over a cope2 piece you will eventually get addressed.

Back
Top Bottom