Banksy's Back In NYC

Explain to me why that matters, though?

Anyone who's worth discussing the topic with acknowledges that they're two different types of art.

Cope is a legend and has been a New York ficture since I was a kid. Of course you will get addressed. It's a much more raw and real and respected form of art. Dudes like Banksy and Ron English are far from SEEN, but why should we even have to say that? It's my understanding that knowing the difference is a basic requirement when appreciating both art forms. Why does them being two completely different things detract from the purity of Banksy's art?

I think the issue most people have is with the general public and those idiots who conflate street art and graff. Not all opinions deserve credence, especially those from people who aren't speaking from a place of personal knowledge or understanding. I feel like it's almost a waste of time to point out that they're not the same, and anyone who disagrees isn't worth having that discussion with.

Last edited:
I mess with it.

Art is art to me. Something to look at and appreciate. Could give a **** about the politics of it. Feel like watching Style Wars now.

Co-sign

Banksys fame is a slap in the face to real writers and hiphop culture in general.

I’ve never understood this opinion. I personally don’t believe Banksy’s fame has anything to do with Hip Hop and the fact that anyone in our culture feels that way is beyond ridiculous to me.

Because I don't even know if this dude can even rock a tag. Stencils and wheatpaste are not graffiti. Some of that obey stuff looked dope but it's not real graffiti.

banksys being a famous Graff artist is equivalent to a cat playing in the NBA but he don't dribble. He just gets the ball and runs straight to the cup but the ref never calls travels...and then said guy gets a max contract shoe deal and star in spacejam 2

Coming up with your own tags and throwys takes years. Graffiti is about style and bombing. Manipulating letters. Not buying balloon letters and taping them to a wall foh

Has Banksy ever claimed to be a graffiti artist though? Banksy is a famous street artist, not a graffiti artist. His median doesn’t discredit the art form of graffiti nor does it make the legends in the graffiti world any less relevant. I’ve always interpreted the criticism and hate for Banksy as nothing more than sour grapes. I understand people not wanting street art to overshadow graffiti, but to completely discredit, write off and hate a different type of artist because they don’t create art the same way is counterproductive to art period.

It's actually simple, hes not a writer. There's a huge difference between him and kaws or stash or hundreds of raw bombers in the UK. Where's Banksy whole cars, burners/ throws? No comparison at all, unless you're in the culture you wouldn't understand.

I guarantee if you go over a cope2 piece you will eventually get addressed.

That's kind of my point. Why does there need to be a comparison if he's operating in a different lane?

Unless i'm missing something and he claims to be a writer in the same vein as these other guys?

I realise that he gets labelled as 'the grafitti guy' by the uninformed masses but unless he holds a TED talk and addresses the differences in the various forms of street art that's going to be hard for him to shake.

what your opinion is based on is highly subjective.

if you're not into actual graffiti and if you don't understand bombing then you're not going to really "get" what i'm saying and so you would be more likely to rock with somebody like a banksy or jerk faces (or whatever he calls himself -dude that does the all over print characters we all grew up with).

as far as more clever? you'd have to know certain situations to understand the cleverness behind certain spots or certain beefs or whatever.

giz vs kez5 was pretty clever. pear vs kez 5 was/is pretty clever, for example. oker is a king in london so just kinging london and being up in random parts of europe and in ny and being down with some of the illest crews to ever do it is clever in and of itself IMHO.

JA, les, colo, etc. are clever. i could go on.

I was only asking your opinion, no need to get all high and mighty about it. I understand bombing and the culture, I just don't see what it has to do with Banksy and the hate he seems to get.

Bombing/tagging/throwies don't seem to be the same "category" as someone like Banksy. If that is what he was into, he'd be writing "Banksy" all over the place instead of the different images/characters that he uses to portray a message, most times without ever even writing his name / confirming its his.

Another thing that seems weird to me in regards to the Banksy hate is - didn't he start off writing/tagging in 1990 with the "DBZ crew" in England? From what I understand, he didn't even start using stencils until the 2000's.

http://www.complex.com/style/2013/10/banksy-art-evolution/early-years

In any case, not downplaying any of the writers in NYC or anywhere else. It seems like their work is more for other graffiti artists to see (wasn't that part of the "wild style" where you really had to know how to read some of these pieces to even see the name/who it was?) and getting their name out there, whereas someone like Banksy seems more like he's trying to get a message out there via his art.

It just doesn't seem like an apples to apples comparison.

i already explained why in this thread.

:lol: I wasn't even quoting you when I asked "Why?" but thanks for re-confirming that you answered the question 2 minutes prior

I wasn't trying to come off as high and mighty fwiw, which is why I worded what you quoted the way I worded it.

I don't think any writer or someone that's interested in starting to write should expect someone to completely understand and that's not a shot. Its not going to make a lot of sense to someone because it's a personal decision to do something illegal for one and it takes time away from family, friends, etc and can consume a person.
On top of that a writer will more than likely be surrounded by snakes, snitches, haters, large egos, politics between crews, drug addicts, and ppl that take advantage, all within the culture and from other writers at that, and why would anyone make a choice to deal with that once they find out? Why would anyone leave the comfort of their homes to hit shady areas at all hours of the night and what significant other is going to put up with that.

I say all that to say that the public owes us nothing and while we know that, it still irks some of us that the public goes crazy over someone like banksy and even lumps him in with us when you have some of us risking our lives and beautifying the city in our own ways.

At one point if you flew into JFK airport the advertising, advertising NY, intentionally had graffiti in it. At this point it's like ppl are exploited and we face cops and all that but ppl go crazy over banksy or *insert street artist here* ?? And they lump us together?

I completely understand that. The commercialization of the art and the conflation of street art and graff is sickening to me too. Generally, I stop listening when someone shows that they're one of those people who sees Banksy and Cope in the same light.

I feel like the majority of people don't completely understand the difference between street art and graff and the work it takes to get a spot, which makes it hard to ignore those who are incapable of distinguishing between the two. At the end of the day though, I think that falls on the public. Most people who didn't grow up in it don't understand it at all, and that goes for every aspect of life. I think the whole lifestyle goes over the head of most art fans. I guess it just is what it is.

But I will say, I get much more enjoyment out of riding an elevated train and spotting a familiar tag than I do riding down to the Bowery Mural and snapping a pic. One is like visiting a museum, the other is a much tougher scavenger hunt.

I'm almost sure I've seen your stuff in Astoria, if you're still getting up debso debso

what your opinion is based on is highly subjective.

if you're not into actual graffiti and if you don't understand bombing then you're not going to really "get" what i'm saying and so you would be more likely to rock with somebody like a banksy or jerk faces (or whatever he calls himself -dude that does the all over print characters we all grew up with).

as far as more clever? you'd have to know certain situations to understand the cleverness behind certain spots or certain beefs or whatever.

pot meet kettle

You're missing my point.

And fwiw I've done wheatpasting in the past and have been writing for a min so I understand both worlds. My main point was more focused on love for local artists that are overlooked due to societal norms in favor of a foreigner that comes every few years and doesn't do anything more profound than anybody else there and while I realize that last part is subjective, theres something to be said about appreciating ones own culture and talent.

Especially when said foreigner appreciates it enough to come here specifically for the purpose of installing street art influenced from ppl doing it here. Just a thought.

Last edited:
How 2 of the pieces are looking like now (not my photos). This was bound to happen. Cope 2 was also dissed (graff writers don't mind that either) but apparently the street artist Hektad was spared. Glad I went on Saturday to take flicks. There's another possible Banksy on 28th St and 7th Ave, across the street from FIT. It's a Basquiat tribute. I found out about it too late. Going to try to go in the morning, hopefully it's not tagged to hell by then.

EDIT: Doesn't look like a Banksy. The artists definitely utilized the Banksy hype tho.

Screenshot_2018-03-22-19-57-34-1.png Screenshot_2018-03-22-19-57-50-1.png

Last edited:
Hi. I don’t know **** about graf. But I like Banksy’s work. It’s thought provoking and entertaining. Does that make me a bad person.

Knowing Bansky the “store” itself is an art piece and nobodies every getting anything. :lol:

Screenshot_20191019-132714.png

selling his Garbage back to you. delicious :lol:

Banksy is Merchant of hype that happens to stencil

You should put that in the prove you're not a bot portion :lol:

From Banksy's T&C....
"Our judge is impartial and independent, and is a professional stand up comedian. The decisions of the judge are final and may not be reviewed or appealed. "

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom