Black Culture Discussion Thread

Maybe Charles is on his Spook who sat by the door steeze I don't know. Dude be collecting those checks and funding people on the low. Most people didn't know the work Prince put in until his death so you never know.

Maybe Charles is on his Spook who sat by the door steeze I don't know. Dude be collecting those checks and funding people on the low. Most people didn't know the work Prince put in until his death so you never know.

Lol nah. A spook isnt making idiotic comments they simply stay silent. People like Charles and Stephen A are Racoons.

Lol nah. A spook isnt making idiotic comments they simply stay silent. People like Charles and Stephen A are Racoons.
You got a point. Could be just midsdirection on his part to take the heat off the work he doing on the low. But I'm probably more wrong than right
laugh.gif

You got a point. Could be just midsdirection on his part to take the heat off the work he doing on the low. But I'm probably more wrong than right :lol:

Like i said im not really for donations because they cant really be traced to an tangible end product.

Like i said i think it would have been impactful for CB to create a program that will place CAU mass comm students with internships and entry level jobs the shows hes on. This create a situation where CAU alum can make money to support the school themselves generationally.

At the end of the day something is more than nothing and Its not my place to tell him or anyone what to do with their resources.

Like i said im not really for donations because they cant really be traced to an tangible end product.

Like i said i think it would have been impactful for CB to create a program that will place CAU mass comm students with internships and entry level jobs the shows hes on. This create a situation where CAU alum can make money to support the school themselves generationally.

At the end of the day something is more than nothing and Its not my place to tell him or anyone what to do with their resources.
I feel you. Alot of black celebs who have said questionable **** have pointed to their donations as a way to escape criticism. At the end of the day their checks are being signed by someone else who more than likely doesn't look like them and probably doesn't support empowerment on that scale. Celebs like CB are in a position of powerlessness.

Your idea is a great one, but CB could be doing something different away from public eyes. I'm more than likely wrong but I'm just trying to be optimistic.

Nick Cannon has been viewed as a cornball and many people w/o knowing better could possibly think of him as a ****, but dude is speaking some very real things & actually putting his plans into motion. If more celebs had this mentality so much more change could be had. When he of all people is talking this openly when a good 80% of his brand heavily involves white people i really don't wanna hear an excuse for some of these rappers/athletes saying they scared to talk

Nick always been a real one. Never seen him do anything to comprise black folks and he has always been about ownership. Lol only people who clown him are poor people.

Nick Cannon has been viewed as a cornball and many people w/o knowing better could possibly think of him as a ****, but dude is speaking some very real things & actually putting his plans into motion. If more celebs had this mentality so much more change could be had. When he of all people is talking this openly when a good 80% of his brand heavily involves white people i really don't wanna hear an excuse for some of these rappers/athletes saying they scared to talk

definitely respect nick's grind & never felt any kind of way towards him honestly, didn't know that people think of him as corny?

while haven't listened to this yet, so maybe i'll have to check back in after -those i'd guess it will expand on some of things he talked about in a recent interview i listened to with him, but i never really understand the expectation/insistence/reliance on black celebs...why do folk expect the athlete, entertainers, or other erstwhile celeb to be activist in their stance(s) --- to which point, assumes they even have a principled stance they can articulate---but not the post(wo)man/average person working their 9 to 5?

definitely respect nick's grind & never felt any kind of way towards him honestly, didn't know that people think of him as corny?

while haven't listened to this yet, so maybe i'll have to check back in after -those i'd guess it will expand on some of things he talked about in a recent interview i listened to with him, but i never really understand the expectation/insistence/reliance on black celebs...why do folk expect the athlete, entertainers, or other erstwhile celeb to be activist in their stance(s) --- to which point, assumes they even have a principled stance they can articulate---but not the post(wo)man/average person working their 9 to 5?

I think people as a whole should have an activist stand but celebs are clearly in a much better position to do it. If you rely on your celebrity to garner attention to whatever a corporation is selling or to promote your well being i think it would be in your best interest to support the people that support you. I don't think every athlete has to be Jim Brown or every actor has to be Bellafonte, but if you have the means to touch millions of people and more importantly the money to help build up the community that supports you why not.

There is no grown black man or woman who in 2016, after a presidency that was won on racial tension should be totally oblivious to what's going on in black communities. granted everyone can't articulate their points but in times like this i think it's imperative that those in the community with money try to put there money to use instead of using it to bolster white corporations and act as if that's what living life is about.

Now you don't HAVE to do ****... but you showing the colors of a selfish person & that energy is never good.

Can someone explain to me why a lot of African countries (Ghana & Nigeria in particular) are super religious...and what is your take on it? Do you think it's a bad thing or good thing?

me being a non-believer, it's so hard to understand their concept of religion and why they try to throw it down our throats all the time. It's almost so sad that they take it to the heart. U can't even imagine what some of the people would do if one day scientist/professors came together and dispel the creation story and the bible as a factual book.
ALL my Saturdays and Sundays have been ruined because of waking up early to go to church 
embarassed.gif
...no this is not the reason why I'm a non-believer

Can someone explain to me why a lot of African countries (Ghana & Nigeria in particular) are super religious...and what is your take on it? Do you think it's a bad thing or good thing?

me being a non-believer, it's so hard to understand their concept of religion and why they try to throw it down our throats all the time. It's almost so sad that they take it to the heart. U can't even imagine what some of the people would do if one day scientist/professors came together and dispel the creation story and the bible as a factual book.

ALL my Saturdays and Sundays have been ruined because of waking up early to go to church :wow: ...no this is not the reason why I'm a non-believer

lol you ever heard of this thing called Colonization?

Interesting read.

http://www.duniamagazine.com/2015/1...w-with-dr-lisa-aubrey-on-bimbia-the-apertura/

ALL my Saturdays and Sundays have been ruined because of waking up early to go to church :wow: ...no this is not the reason why I'm a non-believer

Africans tend to be VERY receptive to the concept of the supernatural/belief in an invisible world, and they have held onto many of their traditional religious practices even after the spread of Christianity. In some cultures (like mine), death almost never happens naturally: it is always the fault of someone or something (and it is an endless source of drama :lol:).

In most colonies, missionaries were the ones who designed the education systems and naturally included a good dose of religious teachings (to steer people away from their own belief systems). They were also - and continue to be in some places - the only ones to build schools and health centers in remote areas. As a result, you often see a sort of hybridization of belief systems, like people juggling Christianity and observance of their own traditional religious rituals.

lol you ever heard of this thing called Colonization?
yes i know about that, but it's crazy that Europeans religion is declining across the board, while African Nations is increasing...that is insane.

from what i see already, a lot of African people are very close minded people (not even trying to be rude but its the truth) they look down at their own people doing their traditional beliefs doe 
mean.gif
sick.gif

Interesting read.

http://www.duniamagazine.com/2015/1...w-with-dr-lisa-aubrey-on-bimbia-the-apertura/
Africans tend to be VERY receptive to the concept of the supernatural/belief in an invisible world, and they have held onto many of their traditional religious practices even after the spread of Christianity. In some cultures (like mine), death almost never happens naturally: it is always the fault of someone or something (and it is an endless source of drama
laugh.gif
).

In most colonies, missionaries were the ones who designed the education systems and naturally included a good dose of religious teachings (to steer people away from their own belief systems). They were also - and continue to be in some places - the only ones to build schools and health centers in remote areas. As a result, you often see a sort of hybridization of belief systems, like people juggling Christianity and observance of their own traditional religious rituals.
You ain't lying about nothing yo....but it's still such a hard understanding for me.

yes i know about that, but it's crazy that Europeans religion is declining across the board, while African Nations is increasing...that is insane.

from what i see already, a lot of African people are very close minded people (not even trying to be rude but its the truth) they look down at their own people doing their traditional beliefs doe :smh: :x

IDK about all that because Many Africans and Blacks in general mixed traditional spiritual systems with Religion in order to practice it low key.

Africans have always been a spiritual people man going back as far as Ancient Egypt (Further than that if you count Ancient Sumeria and the like). We worshiped and revered everything from the sun down to the ancestors. And if you look at the religions that made it to the Americas during the slave trade, you can find Africa at the root of them.

Also take into account that religion was used to fight slavery and imperialism. The Haitians used Vodoun to help fight the French, Nat Turner used Christianity as a weapon to fight the slave master, The Honorable Elijah Muhammad used Islam to unite Black people in America under Black Nationalism, and MLK used his faith and his Ghandi inspired use of non-violent resistance to  fuel the CRM.

Those are just some examples, but religion for us has served as a way of life and as a form of resistance to imperialism.

Edit: I got a few books in my personal library about African religions and their effects on Africans in the new world for anyone that is interested. There is some interesting scholarship out there on how MLK carried a mojo bag with him to protect himself from danger (Obviously it didn't work but the belief was there)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom