Black Culture Discussion Thread

Cy61nuEVQAAdCK6.jpg

Can someone explain to me why a lot of African countries (Ghana & Nigeria in particular) are super religious...and what is your take on it? Do you think it's a bad thing or good thing?

me being a non-believer, it's so hard to understand their concept of religion and why they try to throw it down our throats all the time. It's almost so sad that they take it to the heart. U can't even imagine what some of the people would do if one day scientist/professors came together and dispel the creation story and the bible as a factual book.

ALL my Saturdays and Sundays have been ruined because of waking up early to go to church :wow: ...no this is not the reason why I'm a non-believer

Africa and China are seeing the biggest growth in evangelical christianity.
I've even heard of some instances where mega churches in Africa want to come to the US as missionaries.

Can someone explain to me why a lot of African countries (Ghana & Nigeria in particular) are super religious...and what is your take on it? Do you think it's a bad thing or good thing?

me being a non-believer, it's so hard to understand their concept of religion and why they try to throw it down our throats all the time. It's almost so sad that they take it to the heart. U can't even imagine what some of the people would do if one day scientist/professors came together and dispel the creation story and the bible as a factual book.

ALL my Saturdays and Sundays have been ruined because of waking up early to go to church :wow: ...no this is not the reason why I'm a non-believer

I've even heard of some instances where mega churches in Africa want to come to the US as missionaries.

not sure it has anything to do with any historical spirituality of africans in general, after all what peoples on earth haven't been spiritual at some time? but for certain parts of west africa in particular there is said to be some parallels between the abrahamic religions and the og beliefs of the people in those regions specifically that allow the the old & the new to sort of coexist without conflict; i believe with islam in particular the were whole empires that were practicing muslims for a few centuries...also when it comes to christianity today much of what is evangelized/preached in these poorer countries seems to be the prosperity gospel, which despite the obvious contradictions with the word appears to have its appeals to a whole lot of people...

Im not a church goer (went maybe 7 times in 20 years) Went to a sunday service near detroit last year and
this dude from Africa did a "guest sermon" and blew the F!!!n doors off the mofo. dude was a great speaker.

I know they getting that money out there.
Give some of these mega pastors a run for the money out here i bet.

Last edited:
Man, this year in Africa... SMH. These presidents aren't trying to give up their power man. Even if they lose the election. Its going on all over.

Paul Biya recently announced his intention to run again. Been here for 34 years already.

All of this while the intellectual class in anglophone regions is protesting the lack of representation and the general disregard the government in Yaounde has displayed towards them, to the point where calls for a return to a federal Cameroon (and even secession) are growing.

Paul Biya recently announced his intention to run again. Been here for 34 years already.

All of this while the intellectual class in anglophone regions is protesting the lack of representation and the general disregard the government in Yaounde has displayed towards them, to the point where calls for a return to a federal Cameroon (and even secession) are growing.

Bro I work with an anglophone cameroonian and the debates at work get heated. The west has a lot of resources. Some have even gone as far as to say they would prefer to join nigeria if they can't be recognized as an independent nation. I don't understand the problem. If you can explain, it would be appreciated. But the west side has had enough.

Bro I work with an anglophone cameroonian and the debates at work get heated. The west has a lot of resources. Some have even gone as far as to say they would prefer to join nigeria if they can't be recognized as an independent nation. I don't understand the problem. If you can explain, it would be appreciated. But the west side has had enough.

It boils down to representation and recognition. You can't walk in a government office and speak english and hope to be treated fairly, especially if you live in the capital. As you know, Cameroon is divided in ten regions, and the president appoints officials for each one. In anglophone regions (the southwest and northwest), he is appointing officials who have zero mastery of the english language and expect the local populations to communicate with them in French. The president himself doesn't speak english, and in his 34 years of reign, he has always had a translator address the nation in english. In many ways, the government in Yaounde has treated people from both provinces as the step children of the nation. He doesn't **** around with the west and the three northern regions because the former pretty much controls the economy and the latter is where he draws his military support from. The two anglophone regions get the token position of prime minister as representation, and Biya pretty much ignores them when it comes to everything else. That's pretty much the source of the recent protests.

Regarding the calls to secession, you should know that Cameroon was once a federation of two states (between 1961 and 1972). Both decided to fuse to form one state that year to form what is now Cameroon. Before that, when the British decided to leave Nigeria and what they call southern Cameroon in 1961, they organized a referendum, and some local historians say that the people who voted understood the question to be about independence and not about becoming another state in a federal country. So when the people voted to leave Nigeria, they didn't realize that it was to be attached to French Cameroon.

finally watch The Birth of A Nation, and I dont understand why it got such a low rating....pretty well rounded movie if you ask me. Its a shame Nate Parker is getting "blackmail" in the industry, cuz that brother got a lot of talent.

Back
Top Bottom