Black Culture Discussion Thread

This jerrod carmichael cat got his show cancelled on NBC a couple years ago. Now he comes out as gay and they are giving him jobs all of a sudden. Son hosting award shows now.

Been a Jerrod fan for a minute now, great stand up & i think he had one of the better sitcoms of the past decade. I'm not gonna act like he was some unknown prior to coming out.... but man got streamlined to superstardom almost instantly after coming out.

Hosting SNL, Hosting the Golden Globes, HBO specials etc etc..... it really is kinda wild :lol:

Only real critique i have about dude is when he came out & tried to insinuate that Dave Chapelle wasn't an excellent comedian & only talked about people sexuality :smh:. Like bro don't become one of their tokens

… and was his show funny because of HIM or his cast mates? David Allen Grier, Lil Rell and Loretta Devine?? Because David Allan Grier definitely is a legendary comedian and Loretta Devine is self explanatory

… and was his show funny because of HIM or his cast mates? David Allen Grier, Lil Rell and Loretta Devine?? Because David Allan Grier definitely is a legendary comedian and Loretta Devine is self explanatory

They both killed their roles as expected, but if i'm not mistaking Jerrod did a lot in terms of writing for the show & his performance was good as well.

Never really knew who he was, the Golden Globes is never a big deal like the Emmys or Oscars but congratulations to the gay brother and wish him nothing but the best.

Because you are attributing his success only to him being gay, stuff like that reminds me of like a top corporate higher of a black man and some hating white co-worker would say "oh they only hired him because he is black"

word? how is this:
not for nothing but even before he came out as gay there were comedy vets already co-signing his comedy as someone who could be next up…that he even got a show as relatively unknown comedian kinda shows that he was on the radar to an extent

at all attributing his success to him being gay?

I come in peace but what metric would someone use to make that argument?
There is no standardized metric(s) used for this, I don't think. As someone else pointed out, comedy is subjective. So first off, gotta find it funny. Beyond that, imo, you gotta connect to thr culture, which he does throughout the series. The opening scene is literally Biggie's Juicy first verse playing...that **** hit the spot. Beyond that, you have to touch on relevant topics, which I felt they always did. It was a show that generated conversation in my household. Very few sitcoms do that. And it was black as hell. I've got it firmly as the best black sitcom of the last decade.

There is no standardized metric(s) used for this, I don't think. As someone else pointed out, comedy is subjective. So first off, gotta find it funny. Beyond that, imo, you gotta connect to thr culture, which he does throughout the series. The opening scene is literally Biggie's Juicy first verse playing...that **** hit the spot. Beyond that, you have to touch on relevant topics, which I felt they always did. It was a show that generated conversation in my household. Very few sitcoms do that. And it was black as hell. I've got it firmly as the best black sitcom of the last decade.

Cool.

I was just wondering how it could be argued as being the best black sitcom ever since I hadn't heard anyone ever make that claim.

That's all.

I been watching FD's vids for at least a year. I gotta balance my algorithm out before Google and YT think I'm all the way right-winged when in reality I just like listening to people argue and debate.

My only complaint with him and it can go for a lot of other left leaning content creators in the space they can get preachy and start "talking down" on people. Which I see how you can fall into that trap with some of the stupid takes people have but still if you're goal is to educate someone making them feel stupid might not be the best approach.

Back
Top Bottom