Black Culture Discussion Thread

Bring up employment when talking about a elementary school aged child :lol:

The is the same logic idiots used when talking about wearing hoodies.

+

Just wanted to add my two cents on the subject of braids, dreads, non-low Caesar’s etc with a quick story and diatribe, then im out lol … I was a senior in HS with Braids down to my shoulders and my pops wanted me to cut them before I graduated, I wasn't ready for that change because I had braids for like 5 years atp and I aint wanna new look for fear of change, plus this was 08/09 braids were still poppin and shordys was feeling the kid with the braids in. Anyway I defied him and refused to get a cut, that led to us not speaking for 2-3 months, he was furious with me. He explained that he didnt want me out here lookin like a hood rat, thug etc. , saying Id never get into college id never get a job and whatnot… I kept my hair braided until 2010 as I was a year into college, and had a lil part time job but I cut my hair on my on terms.

I say that to say this, as i rock a low Caesar with few waves at 32, I dont believe we should be demonizing traditional black male hair styles or making them relegated to just being youthful hair styles, again talking about braids, dreads, etc. The deeper problem is that we don't allow our traditional cultural customs to be looked at as that but we have it looked at as thuggish or hood looks, even by our own admission and thats not fair, we should embrace that which is within our culture.

/out

=

well-so-im-done.gif

eh, i can see both sides…obviously the kid is primarily w/the mother, and she didn’t share the father’s judgement/opinion on hair & the kid wanted the that hairstyle, mom obliged as it would be hard for the dad to have final say in the matter given the circumstance of not being in the home🤷🏿‍♂️, that said all bets are off when kid goes to see/spend time with his father 😂😂😂, especially if he indeed stated his objection to long hair

Last edited:

😂 i think i hear an accent tho…it seems to me that atomization of family & extended families along with availability almost literally all of recorded music via streaming will make such common/shared knowledge of classics less likely to be familiar

I'm just saying...if someone bust out "Early one Sunday morning"

I better hear someone chime in with "breakfast was on the table" not too long after that.

😂 i think i hear an accent tho…it seems to me that atomization of family & extended families along with availability almost literally all of recorded music via streaming will make such common/shared knowledge of classics less likely to be familiar

I could understand with her age and I think she’s British, if we were talking like joe

But sitting on the dock of the bay and Otis Redding, I gotta question how your parents raised you

There are certain songs I just expect black people to know.. now you might not know who actually sings it.. but I expect you to be able to recognize the song either by the beat or couple lyrics

How did she even get to sit in that seat/conduct the interview?

Was it "bring your kids to work" day or something?

A lot have heard the songs, through popular media, adverts, etc so they'd definitely recognize catchy melodies and such. It's actively naming the songs that's a challenge. I'd hum it out in those cases.

A lot have heard the songs, through popular media, adverts, etc so they'd definitely recognize catchy melodies and such. It's actively naming the songs that's a challenge. I'd hum it out in those cases.

I don’t blame someone for missing some names of artist or not know that exact names of songs or the actual lyrics

But I’d expect you to pull “ooooooo yea” once you heard the beat or singing

Some songs I just expect to hear if I’m at a family function or certain functions

Just wanted to add my two cents on the subject of braids, dreads, non-low Caesar’s etc with a quick story and diatribe, then im out lol … I was a senior in HS with Braids down to my shoulders and my pops wanted me to cut them before I graduated, I wasn't ready for that change because I had braids for like 5 years atp and I aint wanna new look for fear of change, plus this was 08/09 braids were still poppin and shordys was feeling the kid with the braids in. Anyway I defied him and refused to get a cut, that led to us not speaking for 2-3 months, he was furious with me. He explained that he didnt want me out here lookin like a hood rat, thug etc. , saying Id never get into college id never get a job and whatnot… I kept my hair braided until 2010 as I was a year into college, and had a lil part time job but I cut my hair on my on terms.

I say that to say this, as i rock a low Caesar with few waves at 32, I dont believe we should be demonizing traditional black male hair styles or making them relegated to just being youthful hair styles, again talking about braids, dreads, etc. The deeper problem is that we don't allow our traditional cultural customs to be looked at as that but we have it looked at as thuggish or hood looks, even by our own admission and thats not fair, we should embrace that which is within our culture.

/out
My pops was on some BS when I grew my hair out in an afro in high school. Would take a clipper and cut it all off with no guard :smh:

I know that this attitude has always existed, but i think it's gotten worse throughout time due to "inclusion". A lot of these black academics seem to not really be fully tapped in the black community & it often shows when certain topics start up

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom