Black Culture Discussion Thread

I never understood why SOME (not all) black folks solely focus on schools teaching our kids. My moms always brought me books and we constantly went to book stores or she was always buying me literature and making sure I was in tune with my people.

Bought me books by black authors. Watched movies based on black culture and leaders, etc.

Women like Afeni Shakur, Tupac’s mom are the blueprint. Parents need to stop relying on schools to babysit their kids and be the end all, be all. It’s not healthy.

I’m grateful for my moms everyday.

while i don’t agree with his suppositions on the diaspora, him taking for granted his own culture at one point in time doesn’t necessarily invalidate that opinion…people can & should evolve and that process isn’t always linear

You can say that again. Twitter kills me sometimes :lol:

Not all parents have the time, energy, resources to keep up with their kids education unfortunately. Especially single parents, it's a lot

My mom was a single parent. My aunt was a single parent, had 4 kid at 20. My moms had me at 19. She was making $3 an hour in 1988. She’s been working at the same hospital for 30 years.

Those are excuses. And these are BLACK women. Y’all want to give parents a pass, but not teachers. Cut the bulls****

Stop having kids if you can’t take care of them

We had a 3x1, with 7 of us living under one roof. My family damn sure ain’t make excuses or, they definitely didn’t look for sympathy or try and pass their responsibilities off to other people then get MAD at the other people for not doing their job.

It’s a cop out and I’m tired of it. Parents have become lousy, that’s the end of it. I see it on the daily. Communities aren’t tight knit anymore either.

Again, either teach your kids at home as well, or stop crying and making excuses. No one owes your sympathy when I’ve actually seen single parents (mothers and fathers) do right by their kids and teach them about their culture, and about ideologies that aren’t taught in school.

America has become a nation of lousy excuses

“It’s a lot” :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Miss me with that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Parents got time for Facebook, IG, neighbor gossip, drugs and alcohol, sex, etc

But don’t have time to be hands on with their kids? Continued excuses

Grinds my gears when Africans claim that Black Americans don't have a "base" - especially while living in, on, or off the very "base" we created.

Our "base" is the United States of America...which would not even exist w/o us. :lol::smh:

Far be it from us to be just as proud of our homeland and history as they are of theirs.

The other dude hmming like main man dropping knowledge :rofl:

Grinds my gears when Africans claim that Black Americans don't have a "base" - especially while living in, on, or off the very "base" we created.

Our "base" is the United States of America...which would not even exist w/o us. :lol::smh:

Far be it from us to be just as proud of our homeland and history as they are of theirs.

Until you rightfully take it, others will always look at it as the white mans land. Cause that's how the rest of the world see it as.

i mean…while i don’t agree with the assertion that the diaspora should necessarily be of import, i’m not sure i believe that as black americans we really genuinely see the usa as “ours” in the same way folks from other countries see their own countries of origin, having history in a place for a time and making the best of it doesn’t necessarily need to be meaningful such that it should become “home”for subsequent generations…everyone likely has something of a complicated history/relationship with where they are from but given historical context of black americans in/with america it is maybe more adversarial (though most countries do have even similar conflicts that are even longer in terms of cultural, ethnic, tribal power dynamics) than african see their own comparable history (through their rose-colored glasses, of course)…

i think something that folk from the continent take away in their discussions w/black americans specifically and to some extent black europeans as well, is that adversarial aspect of being black in america/these other non-black countries, not that the black folk in america or elsewhere don’t have their own histories/pride distinct from the connections to being african. while well meaning it still condescending but i think it is a slight nuance that doesn’t get communicated when they talk about coming back to/investing in africa as “home”

Until you rightfully take it, others will always look at it as the white mans land. Cause that's how the rest of the world see it as.

…. Like the white man ain’t take over and whitewash Africa as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cecil Rhodes ran roughshod in Africa :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hip hop culture, soul food, jazz and blues, football and basketball (although not invented by us) black men are the reason the NBA is a global game.

Those same Africans be dismissive of the fact that Europeans also ravaged their continent.

It’s probably not as highly publicized in as it is in America but believe you me, some us know that them white folks pillaged and ran amok over there as well… don’t get it twisted.

Them same Africans migrate to Great Britain or Northern Europe and get ridiculed and experience equal racism.

There’s ALWAYS some headline of a African soccer player crying about getting called a monkey. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We know what’s up :lol: :lol:

This ya’ll? Had this grown a*** man crying on the pitch because of slurs but let them tell it… they’re different. They get treated EXACTLY the same …. But black Americans don’t have culture? We have plenty :lol: :lol:

A lot of those African dudes definitely try to assimilate themselves into white society….

0D142BCE-619E-459F-BC8D-00A09CBDB8C8.jpeg

Last edited:
i mean…while i don’t agree with the assertion that the diaspora should necessarily be of import, i’m not sure i believe that as black americans we really genuinely see the usa as “ours” in the same way folks from other countries see their own countries of origin, having history in a place for a time and making the best of it doesn’t necessarily need to be meaningful such that it should become “home”for subsequent generations…everyone likely has something of a complicated history/relationship with where they are from but given historical context of black americans in/with america it is maybe more adversarial (though most countries do have even similar conflicts that are even longer in terms of cultural, ethnic, tribal power dynamics) than african see their own comparable history (through their rose-colored glasses, of course)…

i think something that folk from the continent take away in their discussions w/black americans specifically and to some extent black europeans as well, is that adversarial aspect of being black in america/these other non-black countries, not that the black folk in america or elsewhere don’t have their own histories/pride distinct from the connections to being african. while well meaning it still condescending but i think it is a slight nuance that doesn’t get communicated when they talk about coming back to/investing in africa as “home”

Us black Americans DEFINITELY see it as ours. We built it. Why wouldn’t we feel as though?

The free labor they got from us, the exported goods, the Union winning the civil war because of us. The northerners knew the South was reliant on slave labor, that’s the only reason the war was won.

Those who don’t know their history, will never understand. Again, this is just as much of ours, as it is white America….

How can a place that was shaped by us, not be ours? That sounds ludicrous

Last edited:
Us black Americans DEFINITELY see it as ours. We built it. Why wouldn’t we feel as though?

The free labor they from us, the exported goods, the Union winning the civil war because of us. The northerners knew the South was reliant on slave labor, that’s the only reason the war was won.

Those who don’t know their history, will never understand. Again, this is just as much of ours, as it is white America….

How can a place that was shaped by us, not be ours? That sounds ludicrous

all fact, that said when those from other countries hear black americans talk about america, in general, it isn’t usually in a prideful manner…

Africans who see it like that might want to have a seat with all that tough talk before China asks one of them to hold their Tsingtao or Shell Oil tells them to fill up at pump 4 :lol:

If "taking land from the white man" is the measuring stick, Ethiopia and Liberia stand alone.

And even then...

"Considering it essential to the success of their economies, the imperialistic European nations avoided the outright colonization of Liberia and Ethiopia—the only two African countries they considered viable players in the trade-based world economy. However, in return for their apparent “independence,” Liberia and Ethiopia were forced to give up territory, agree to differing degrees of European economic control, and become participants in European spheres of influence."

Geopolitics/colonialism is the absolute worst place an African could ever think they hold high ground over anyone.

It's a white man's world when it comes to race.

Racism is a global pandemic of conscientious stupidity and sincere ignorance.

There are no "bases" when it comes to racism.

The closest we have is what my ancestors were able to accomplish right here on this very soil.

I'm so glad that the Africans I've met have been cool AF. Maybe I just haven't met one that was rich enough to feel like they could look down on me. Might have talked slick behind my back, wouldn't have been the first time that's happened.

The notion that someone has to be rich to look down on you :lol:

Poor people of every race also have a tendency to lean on racial/ethnic/cultural supremacy to make up for their shortcomings.
We have different life experiences. The people I have met have been cool from other races for the most part.

The notion that someone has to be rich to look down on you :lol:

Poor people of every race also have a tendency to lean on racial/ethnic/cultural supremacy to make up for their shortcomings.

No one is more racist than the broke confederate flag flying racists in the south :rofl:

Even then give me them over the liberal fake ally racism everyday of the week. At least I know where they stand and they own it.

We are the same people fighting the same and also different struggles. Colonialism and everything that came with it is still prevalent in Africa just like effects of slavery and prejudice are still relevant today here in the states today. I remember being in Cape Town 4 years ago and i was talking to a black cab driver and he said South Africa should be run by the white man because they provide more opportunity. I couldn't believe my ears :wow: but there is a faction of Africans who love white folks more than their own. Nobody should downplay or overlook each other while we still deal with these issues.

Black people in America deserve to call this place their "base." Built the damn country so the descendants should be able to call this place home. The diaspora expanded and a new culture(s) has been built and it should be respected. None of us should be on high horse talking down to one another.

Back
Top Bottom