Black Culture Discussion Thread

Good move by Ebro. That being said of course Drake isn’t going to speak on black issues….he doesn’t consider himself black. Never has and never will. He’s a Jewish kid from Canada. Nothing wrong with that per say, however he’s no ally of black culture or black society. That’s one of the main reasons I don’t listen to him or play his music…..that and he has no talent as well. I respect the real.
When did Drake he nevers considers himself black, or are we putting words in people's mouths? Because he sho dropping N bombs.

Not everyone plays the same role nor have to chime in on everything and I don't think you'll want it from any and every person. I came across a youtube I think where all she does is knit or something mundane like that, no politics, nothing, just knitting. Her fans were getting on her for not speaking up more about social issues in 2020. Come on people.

Everybody doesn’t need to touch Black issues (and to M Mark Antony point, nor should we want)…but Drake is approaching 40 years old. 15 years in the rap game. 10 of which, he’s been on cruise control and by far, the most successful. Arguably on the planet.

Occupying the spot as the biggest, “best” and “most influential” rapper/artist in the game. Today. And if you hear him or his folks tell it, or all time.

You just can’t occupy that spot, in Rap music…and neglect to speak about Black issues for THIS long in your career. In any meaningful way. And that there is the disconnect with upbringing, who Drake is, his goals, exploration etc. Cuz even a ***** like Future, seems obligated in a sense to talk about Police Brutality in arguably his most memorable song. Because that is a real thing to his experience. A black American experience he can truly speak to. Drake black American experiences only seem to be referenced with money, haters, women, partying, violence, fun stuff etc.

And when he decides to speak, it’s in a handpicked carefully controlled environment…set up by his handlers. And 9/10, some white dude.

You think Drake would go to Big Facts, for as much as he’s taken from that specific Atlanta scene since 2012.

A black American experience he can truly speak to. Drake black American experiences only seem to be referenced with money, haters, women, partying, violence, fun stuff etc.
The man is Canadian and grew up there, in wealthy environment to boot.

I don't think he's spent his formative years (teens/early 20s) experiencing being black in America, and I don't think the guy was ever anonymous enough to have experienced a James Blake/ Oprah moment.

And when he decides to speak, it’s in a handpicked carefully controlled environment…set up by his handlers. And 9/10, some white dude.
And that's probably the most you'll get from him. I don't think he can lead a discussion on some of the issues that interest Black America and be taken seriously.

The man is Canadian and grew up there, in wealthy environment to boot.

I don't think he's spent his formative years (teens/early 20s) experiencing being black in America, and I don't think the guy was ever anonymous enough to have experienced a James Blake/ Oprah moment.

And that's probably the most you'll get from him. I don't think he can lead a discussion on some of the issues that interest Black America and be taken seriously.

And the trade off is he’ll never truly get the one thing he seems to covet the most from rap fans/media.

True Respect in the genre/art form.

You can’t buy or manufacture that.

As long as that is understood, he can keep making Toronto mob boss raps, _ A.M. in _ city raps, and carefully crafted catchy tunes without any expectations to grow or get bigger til he’s 60 for all I care.

Not everyone plays the same role nor have to chime in on everything and I don't think you'll want it from any and every person. I came across a youtube I think where all she does is knit or something mundane like that, no politics, nothing, just knitting. Her fans were getting on her for not speaking up more about social issues in 2020. Come on people.
This part. I remember MKBHD throwing up a video discussing race and low key found it cringe to watch because I never got the impression he's around Black folks like that anyway. Dude plays ultimate frisbee and didn't even have another Black employee working for him until last year.

However, being the biggest tech youtuber AND Black, I get why he felt he had to say something during the BLM peak. I won't diminish his experience as a Black man in his industry, but I personally wouldn't have held it against him not talking about it.

Black people aren’t even listening to each other nowadays.

Drake is a corny half Jewish, Canadian dude. Definitely don’t care or need to hear him speak on the black plight.

Ironically his dad is from Memphis, one of the most historical black hubs of culture. That’s where it stops.

Him speaking would be unfounded.

These gen Z/Millennials/Xennials are all lives matter, social media/tech driven, low attention spans. They barely have proper social or communication skills.

There’s no helping these kids, it starts with their parents. Talk to the average 25-35 year old parent and you’ll understand the disconnect. A guy like Drake can’t fix that.

I’m not even a Drake fan but today’s celebrity and activist is completely different than yesteryears

Y’all need to watch the Willie Mays documentary. He was highly criticized for not speaking on black issues. His one of my GOATs and I could careless if he spoke up or not. Everyone doesn’t have the diction or acumen to speak. Some dudes not built for it.

Thing is Drake has spoken about Black issues during the BLM movement.

I'm more so interested on what folks wanted him to chime in on now.

Affirmative action? Dude dropped out of high school in another country. Probably never even heard of HBCU's until he started ******* chicks at Texas Southern. His kids are set for life and will be staying at a dorm named after him.

Deeper dive in the issue of land ownership.

Mitchell didn’t trust the courts, so he didn’t leave a will. Instead, he let the land become heirs’ property, a form of ownership in which descendants inherit an interest, like holding stock in a company. The practice began during Reconstruction, when many African Americans didn’t have access to the legal system, and it continued through the Jim Crow era, when black communities were suspicious of white Southern courts. In the United States today, 76% of African Americans do not have a will, more than twice the percentage of white Americans.

Many assume that not having a will keeps land in the family. In reality, it jeopardizes ownership. David Dietrich, a former co-chair of the American Bar Association’s Property Preservation Task Force, has called heirs’ property “the worst problem you never heard of.” The U.S. Department of Agriculture has recognized it as “the leading cause of Black involuntary land loss.” Heirs’ property is estimated to make up more than a third of Southern black-owned land — 3.5 million acres, worth more than $28 billion. These landowners are vulnerable to laws and loopholes that allow speculators and developers to acquire their property. Black families watch as their land is auctioned on courthouse steps or forced into a sale against their will.

And this is the messed up part. Pitting the families against each other to take advantaged

"ONE OF THE MOST PERNICIOUS legal mechanisms used to dispossess heirs’ property owners is called a partition action. In the course of generations, heirs tend to disperse and lose any connection to the land. Speculators can buy off the interest of a single heir, and just one heir or speculator, no matter how minute his share, can force the sale of an entire plot through the courts. Andrew Kahrl, an associate professor of history and African-American studies at the University of Virginia, told me that even small financial incentives can have the effect of turning relatives against one another, and developers exploit these divisions. “You need to have some willing participation from black families — driven by the desire to profit off their land holdings,” Kahrl said. “But it does boil down to greed and abuse of power and the way in which Americans’ history of racial inequality can be used to the advantage of developers.” As the Reels family grew over time, the threat of a partition sale mounted; if one heir decided to sell, the whole property would likely go to auction at a price that none of them could pay."​

Black people aren’t even listening to each other nowadays.

Drake is a corny half Jewish, Canadian dude. Definitely don’t care or need to hear him speak on the black plight.

Ironically his dad is from Memphis, one of the most historical black hubs of culture. That’s where it stops.

Him speaking would be unfounded.

These gen Z/Millennials/Xennials are all lives matter, social media/tech driven, low attention spans. They barely have proper social or communication skills.

There’s no helping these kids, it starts with their parents. Talk to the average 25-35 year old parent and you’ll understand the disconnect. A guy like Drake can’t fix that.

I’m not even a Drake fan but today’s celebrity and activist is completely different than yesteryears
Him speaking about the black plight would be unfounded yet him rapping about the black plight has enriched his life astronomically. SAG actor...

Back
Top Bottom