Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

Originally Posted by TY SHYNE

^^^^ I beleive the general concensus is that the difference on a 32" or 37" from 720p to 1080p is damn near impossible to spot unless your are sitting directly in front of the television set. Heck I had a 50 inch panny that died that was a 1080p and now have a Samsung 720p 50" and cant see a bit of difference even on blu ray unless im about 4 feet away from the tv
Thanks for the info. Can anyone else offer more information??

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

I don't need all the extra stuff just the movie, I bet a lot of yall are still kicking yourself from buying the Grand Theft Auto collectors edition.
the gta collectors edition was
eek.gif
. i use the duffle bag and lockbox all the time.

as for the tdk stuff...places are charging extra for the bobbleheads and stuff? thats weak. i thought that stuff was free as an added incentive to buy fromthat store. at bestbuy, i got a free rubiks cube for buying wall-e, got a free booty sweat tee for buying tropic thunder
laugh.gif

since I've mentioned it twice and people still keep asking I shall post an illustration of the ratios at which different size TVs at different distanceslook at different resolutions.

resolution_chart.jpg

let's see if NTers can read a chart even if they can't read words.

this should also illustrate that 1080p is a relatively safe investment unless you plan on owning a 50" tv and sitting less than 7 feet away from it.

yes its worth buying have u ever seen blu-ray next to dvd there's a major difference get blu-ray and dont forget the hdmi cable because you wont get fullblu-ray with out it. trust me

Originally Posted by infamousod

since I've mentioned it twice and people still keep asking I shall post an illustration of the ratios at which different size TVs at different distances look at different resolutions.

resolution_chart.jpg

let's see if NTers can read a chart even if they can't read words.

this should also illustrate that 1080p is a relatively safe investment unless you plan on owning a 50" tv and sitting less than 7 feet away from it.

1440p?!
eek.gif
I thought 1080 was the limit and full HD?

i can see em, u think it got something to do with me using google chrome ? i've been having this problem lately ............

Originally Posted by MexicanSoul

anyone recommend a good blu ray? I have a ps3 but prefer not to view BRs on them.
I mean thats the best Blu-Ray player out really...

but if you insist on getting a separate player... go with the Panasonic BD35K or the Sony S350

the Panasonic is like $250 at BBY right now

I am looking to finally make the move to Blu-Ray this holiday season. While I was at costco is saw the sony bdp-s350 on sale for $260..I dont really know muchabout Blu-ray players but I heard that the PS3 is the best Blu ray player on the market right now.. Is there any specific reason why I should get the ps3 overthe stand alone blu ray player?

the only reason i can think of is that the ps3 plays video games- that's plenty reason for myself...

but if ur really just looking to watch movies than, yeah, i guess- save urself some money and pick that up.
as long as it has network compatibility to keep your player updated you'll be all right i guess.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

anyone recommend a good blu ray? I have a ps3 but prefer not to view BRs on them.

but if you insist on getting a separate player... go with the Panasonic BD35K or the Sony S350

I remember watching DVDs on the PS2 and playing games and it ended dying on me LOL. I might have to take the frugal approach and watch some movieson it. Is there any reason as to why its the best on the market? Would a comparable SONY do the trick?

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

id personally go with the LG BD300
Good looks but I'm one of them matching OCD freaks. If I have samsung tv then I want the matching samsung products lol.

Quick question, does the brand of HDMI cable matter at all? i have two 5-6 dollar ones laying around that i bought from monoprice.com, but i want to know if iwill benefit from getting a name brand one. i have a 42" 720p lg in my room, that i watch from about 5-6 feet away.

laugh.gif
I don't feel like jumpin with the midnight crowd really. I might just go in the AM early.

Panasonic products FTL

And as far as I know, an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

I remember watching DVDs on the PS2 and playing games and it ended dying on me LOL. I might have to take the frugal approach and watch some movies on it. Is there any reason as to why its the best on the market? Would a comparable SONY do the trick?

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

id personally go with the LG BD300
Good looks but I'm one of them matching OCD freaks. If I have samsung tv then I want the matching samsung products lol.
The PS3 is better than most because of its super fast load times, eject times and all that... the S350 isnt gonna be nearly as fast but its amongthe better performing BD players.

You wont be disappointed.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Panasonic products FTL

And no, as far as I know, an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable.

No way man
eek.gif
Panasonic FTW!!! We got a Panny BD player hooked up in the studio that been running FOREVER... joint gets left on and running throughout thenights so many times its not funny... its had to have logged 1000's of hours non stop and its still going strong

And yea, for the most part all HDMI cables are all the same... differences between Monster and the generic stuff is durability and quality of the cable itself.

The TV really doesnt care what cable is hooked up.. they can all get the digital signal from the source to the TV.

Back
Top Bottom