Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

Originally Posted by javier5857

thats what i was thinking, but this guy at best buy kept telling me it made a difference.
I mean, on one hand you can say that a Monster cable will never break on you (lifetime warranty if it does) but ive had installers tell medifferent things... claiming that some of the monsters really are better than the Rocketfish/dynex (i wouldnt buy dynex, ever
laugh.gif
) but im not sure... i got some thinking to do to see if i wanna buy monster formy BD player or not. But im employee so i wouldnt be paying $130 for them.

the advantages of the PS3 are almost negligible. it has a faster processor than anything out. wireless/ethernet, upgrades usually come faster than to mostother players.

it'll mostly help with special features and load times etc but for the quality of playback its about the same.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Panasonic products FTL

And no, as far as I know, an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable.

No way man
eek.gif
Panasonic FTW!!! We got a Panny BD player hooked up in the studio that been running FOREVER... joint gets left on and running throughout the nights so many times its not funny... its had to have logged 1000's of hours non stop and its still going strong

laugh.gif

I hear you man.
But I've had bad experiences with Panasonic electronics. So I steer clear.
We can both probably agree though that Panasonic hasn't been able to master one particular area of electronics. TVs = Sony/Sharp. Cameras = Nikon/Canon.Camcorders = JVC/Sony/Canon. Printers = HP. Etc... And Panasonic dabbles in every single one of those areas (plus more too).

Panasonic is like a jack-of-all-trades yet a master of none.

So there's no way I'm trusting them enough to invest in a BR player from them.

True... they got some nice Plasmas though (like the one sitting in front of me
pimp.gif
)... the Panny 800U is
eek.gif
eek.gif
one of the best performing TVs out.

But i feel you with not buying from a company that youve had 1 or 2 bad experiences with.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

thats what i was thinking, but this guy at best buy kept telling me it made a difference.
I mean, on one hand you can say that a Monster cable will never break on you (lifetime warranty if it does) but ive had installers tell me different things... claiming that some of the monsters really are better than the Rocketfish/dynex (i wouldnt buy dynex, ever
laugh.gif
) but im not sure... i got some thinking to do to see if i wanna buy monster for my BD player or not. But im employee so i wouldnt be paying $130 for them.
I've been buying the rocketfish 120HZ HDMI cable. I have one monster cable that I bought with my discount but I have that hooked up to my HDcable box, the rocket fish cables are on my PS3 and 360.

BTW I'm not very impressed with the video quality so far on TDK. The Imax scenes are
eek.gif

But the rest is nothing spectacular
eyes.gif
Looks worse than most Blu-Raysi've watched

Dark Knight wasn't shot to be crystal clear eye candy. It has a lot of dark scenes with some grain so that's what you should expect. Not as bad as 300,but in the same ballpark.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Dark Knight wasn't shot to be crystal clear eye candy. It has a lot of dark scenes with some grain so that's what you should expect. Not as bad as 300, but in the same ballpark.
frown.gif
thas not good news. I hated 300 on blu ray.

i have two 5-6 dollar ones laying around that i bought from monoprice.com,.

They'll do fine. All those $50+ "Monster" HDMI cables are a waste of money.

^ from what I've been told, thats the difference between digital and analogue... with an analogue signal, a better cable will be beneficial, but with adigital signal, its all 1's and 0's. you either get a good signal or do you don't... so a decent HDMI cable should be fine. I never believed inthat Monster Cable non-sense.

As for the 'grain' in The Dark Knight, I didn't think it was anywhere close to what was seen in 300. but I think in 300, it was intentional.

Its not grainy, just doesn't really look that great. The imax scenes are
eek.gif

Everything else is ehhhhh

Whats most disappointing is the major lack of special features
frown.gif

Even scenes that arent Dark werent impressive at all though... a lot of tiny flaws

Like in the first scene with Batman and the mobsters in the parking garage, due to the flourescent lighting, you can see like a blue line through peoples faces
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Maybe it's your tv hombre.
grin.gif

Movie has been getting great reviews for PQ.
I have the Samsung TOC 650 so I don't think its my TV, maybe I'm just too picky
roll.gif

how did the bank scene look?

i have batman begins on BR and i thought that particular scene looked amazing.

Just copped The Dark Knight Blu Ray but I don't have time to watch it until tonight after work.

Originally Posted by akf0dy7

how did the bank scene look?

i have batman begins on BR and i thought that particular scene looked amazing.
Just as spectacular. The same with the other IMAX scenes. I adjusted the brightness on my set and the movie looked pretty damn good.

Like I said the Imax scenes are
eek.gif

The chase scene with the Batpod is
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Easily my favorite scene of the film

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

Like I said the Imax scenes are
eek.gif

The chase scene with the Batpod is
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Easily my favorite scene of the film

so a majority of the other scenes are grainy?

Not Grainy necessarily, just not the most vibrant picture.

Some scenes are better than others.

But I won't let it take away from how much I enjoyed this film. Watched it last night for the 7th time, saw it 6 in theaters
roll.gif

And I still love it just as much. IMO it was done so well.

Now if we could just get some more special features

BTW anyone ever use BD live? Is it worth checkin out?

Back
Top Bottom