Breaking News: Derrick Rose named 2010-2011 MVP

Bill Simmons (again) is the one that nailed it, and even he reluctantly had to admit Rose was the MVP because "somebody has to get it"

Someone like Rose might not seem any more or less special statistically than the other MVP candidates, but when your best player buys into everything your coach is selling, plays hard for every minute of every game, doesn't care about his own numbers, stays humble and does whatever it takes to win from night to night, how could he not be considered "valuable?"

To be honest, this is probably one of those years when there wasn't totally a most valuable player (like 2005 and 2007, actually). Sadly, we can't roll the trophy over like it's a skins match and make next year's award count for two. We have to hand it out. The case against Rose is twofold:

A. Chicago's MVP has been its tenacious defense (not Rose). That's fine except for the part that every true contender assumes the personality of its best player. Russell's Celtics won 11 of 13 titles because he cared about winning more than anyone ever ... until Jordan, whose teams won six titles because he cared about winning more than anyone other than Russell. Bird's Celtics teams assumed his personality; they were all terrified of letting him down. Magic's Lakers teams assumed his personality; carefree in those early years, then more and more hardcore as the years passed. Duncan's Spurs teams reflected him and his coach: cerebral, classy, competitive in the cleanest way. Kobe's best quality these past three years has been that he's gotten Gasol, Bynum and Odom (three guys who, mentally, could have gone either way) to care about competing as much as he does. This is what great players do.

So for anyone to say that Rose -- who's stuck in fifth gear for every minute of every game, to the point that Chicago's biggest concern might be that he doesn't have an extra gear for the playoffs -- doesn't directly affect Chicago's defense is insane. Have you ever been to an NBA practice? Earlier this year, I went to an Oklahoma City practice and was stunned to see Durant and Westbrook going full-speed through every drill like it was Game 7 of the playoffs. I asked Scotty Brooks about it afterward; he smiled and said something like, "When your best players care that much, everything else falls into place." That's what happened in Chicago with Rose. He sets the tone day after day after day; everyone else eventually fell into place. When your best player cares that much, it's contagious.

B. Speaking of advanced metrics, if you're using them to make the case against Rose, I submit the following two lines:

Player A: 27.2 PPG, 10.1 RPG, 4.2 APG, 54% FG, 76% FT, 28.4 PER, 16.6 WS, 60% TS%, 1st-team All-Defense.

Player B: 29.2 PPG, 5.9 RPG, 3.8 APG, 48% FG, 81% FT, 26.3 PER, 17.1 WS, 55% TS%, 1st-team All-Defense.

Who was better? It's close, but you picked Player A, right? Well ... those were the combined numbers for Karl Malone and Michael Jordan during the 1997 and 1998 regular seasons. You just picked Malone. Thank you and please drive through.

Anyway, advanced metrics weaken Rose's MVP case but don't murder it. Unlike LeBron the past two years, he isn't a sure thing. That's fine. Just consider these other two points ...

• Rose carries his team's offense more than anyone else carries their team's offense. He's the Bulls' only player who can create his own shot, and he's their only player who can create shots for others. Night after night after night, he walked onto the court knowing that Chicago's entire offense hinged on how he played. His usage (32.4 percent) and assist (39.4 percent) rates tell some of the story; in crunch-time per 48 minutes, he's averaged the second-most field goal attempts, the eighth-most free throw attempts and the ninth-highest assists (nobody else made the top-15 for all three categories, much less the top-10). The dude does everything for Chicago offensively, a little like Iverson on the 2001 Sixers (the year he finished with the sixth-highest usage rate ever and Philly somehow made the Finals, anyway). In my opinion, when you're doing everything, you should get a little statistical slack. You might have to take one or two shots per half that you shouldn't take, just because nobody else will take them. In crunch-time, the degree of difficulty ratchets up because the other team knows it's up to you, and you alone. You have to account for these things. That's why I love basketball so much: it's objective and subjective.

• Rose keeping the Bulls in contention for three-plus months when Boozer and Noah missed significant time was the most impressive thing I witnessed this season. Their quest for a No. 1 seed should have derailed in November, when Boozer missed a brutal seven-game Western road swing (including Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix and Los Angeles) plus games in Boston and Oklahoma City ... and yet, they emerged from a potential disaster at 9-6 (with Rose averaging a 28-8-5). Just when they were coming together, their defensive anchor (Noah) went down for two months ... Rose kept everything humming. (As a Celtics fan, I kept looking at the standings every morning thinking, "Jeez, they won't go away ... .") They finally had a full team when they were 35-14; they're 23-6 since. A one-seed. Phenomenal.

I will remember the 2010-11 season for LeBron and Wade, for Blake Griffin, for the dumb Celtics trade, and for how hard Derrick Rose played every night. He willed the Bulls to a No. 1 seed. Unfortunately, we don't have an advanced metric to quantify that specific achievement -- just a primitive, overrated statistic called "wins." I guess we'll have to make due. Derrick Rose, you're my 2010-11 MVP.

Bill Simmons (again) is the one that nailed it, and even he reluctantly had to admit Rose was the MVP because "somebody has to get it"

Someone like Rose might not seem any more or less special statistically than the other MVP candidates, but when your best player buys into everything your coach is selling, plays hard for every minute of every game, doesn't care about his own numbers, stays humble and does whatever it takes to win from night to night, how could he not be considered "valuable?"

To be honest, this is probably one of those years when there wasn't totally a most valuable player (like 2005 and 2007, actually). Sadly, we can't roll the trophy over like it's a skins match and make next year's award count for two. We have to hand it out. The case against Rose is twofold:

A. Chicago's MVP has been its tenacious defense (not Rose). That's fine except for the part that every true contender assumes the personality of its best player. Russell's Celtics won 11 of 13 titles because he cared about winning more than anyone ever ... until Jordan, whose teams won six titles because he cared about winning more than anyone other than Russell. Bird's Celtics teams assumed his personality; they were all terrified of letting him down. Magic's Lakers teams assumed his personality; carefree in those early years, then more and more hardcore as the years passed. Duncan's Spurs teams reflected him and his coach: cerebral, classy, competitive in the cleanest way. Kobe's best quality these past three years has been that he's gotten Gasol, Bynum and Odom (three guys who, mentally, could have gone either way) to care about competing as much as he does. This is what great players do.

So for anyone to say that Rose -- who's stuck in fifth gear for every minute of every game, to the point that Chicago's biggest concern might be that he doesn't have an extra gear for the playoffs -- doesn't directly affect Chicago's defense is insane. Have you ever been to an NBA practice? Earlier this year, I went to an Oklahoma City practice and was stunned to see Durant and Westbrook going full-speed through every drill like it was Game 7 of the playoffs. I asked Scotty Brooks about it afterward; he smiled and said something like, "When your best players care that much, everything else falls into place." That's what happened in Chicago with Rose. He sets the tone day after day after day; everyone else eventually fell into place. When your best player cares that much, it's contagious.

B. Speaking of advanced metrics, if you're using them to make the case against Rose, I submit the following two lines:

Player A: 27.2 PPG, 10.1 RPG, 4.2 APG, 54% FG, 76% FT, 28.4 PER, 16.6 WS, 60% TS%, 1st-team All-Defense.

Player B: 29.2 PPG, 5.9 RPG, 3.8 APG, 48% FG, 81% FT, 26.3 PER, 17.1 WS, 55% TS%, 1st-team All-Defense.

Who was better? It's close, but you picked Player A, right? Well ... those were the combined numbers for Karl Malone and Michael Jordan during the 1997 and 1998 regular seasons. You just picked Malone. Thank you and please drive through.

Anyway, advanced metrics weaken Rose's MVP case but don't murder it. Unlike LeBron the past two years, he isn't a sure thing. That's fine. Just consider these other two points ...

• Rose carries his team's offense more than anyone else carries their team's offense. He's the Bulls' only player who can create his own shot, and he's their only player who can create shots for others. Night after night after night, he walked onto the court knowing that Chicago's entire offense hinged on how he played. His usage (32.4 percent) and assist (39.4 percent) rates tell some of the story; in crunch-time per 48 minutes, he's averaged the second-most field goal attempts, the eighth-most free throw attempts and the ninth-highest assists (nobody else made the top-15 for all three categories, much less the top-10). The dude does everything for Chicago offensively, a little like Iverson on the 2001 Sixers (the year he finished with the sixth-highest usage rate ever and Philly somehow made the Finals, anyway). In my opinion, when you're doing everything, you should get a little statistical slack. You might have to take one or two shots per half that you shouldn't take, just because nobody else will take them. In crunch-time, the degree of difficulty ratchets up because the other team knows it's up to you, and you alone. You have to account for these things. That's why I love basketball so much: it's objective and subjective.

• Rose keeping the Bulls in contention for three-plus months when Boozer and Noah missed significant time was the most impressive thing I witnessed this season. Their quest for a No. 1 seed should have derailed in November, when Boozer missed a brutal seven-game Western road swing (including Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix and Los Angeles) plus games in Boston and Oklahoma City ... and yet, they emerged from a potential disaster at 9-6 (with Rose averaging a 28-8-5). Just when they were coming together, their defensive anchor (Noah) went down for two months ... Rose kept everything humming. (As a Celtics fan, I kept looking at the standings every morning thinking, "Jeez, they won't go away ... .") They finally had a full team when they were 35-14; they're 23-6 since. A one-seed. Phenomenal.

I will remember the 2010-11 season for LeBron and Wade, for Blake Griffin, for the dumb Celtics trade, and for how hard Derrick Rose played every night. He willed the Bulls to a No. 1 seed. Unfortunately, we don't have an advanced metric to quantify that specific achievement -- just a primitive, overrated statistic called "wins." I guess we'll have to make due. Derrick Rose, you're my 2010-11 MVP.

Well Deserved!
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CJ616

I don't get how anyone is saying that Dwight Howard should have won over him.  The hate is evident, and strong for Rose.  Dwight put up freakish numbers, but he's nowhere near as valuable to his team as Rose was to the Bulls.  Magic still make the playoffs without Dwight Howard.  Without Rose (given the fact that Noah and Boozer were out for a lot of games this season) the Bulls are probably a 6th seed.  Let that man be great.  He deserved it.

laugh.gif
 ok buddy
off what are you basing this?

lebron contributes more to his team than rose. if lebron is accountable for more wins. bulls arent that much worse without rose. How are they a 6th seed?

Magic are WAY worse without dwight. team full of shooters. dwight takes pressure off them. do you even watch?
anybody on chicagos starting 5 would be a second option on the magic.
lebron has better numbers (killing him in EVERYTHING except 1 assist lower) and dwight is more valuable than rose to the squad.
im not even hating tho, rose is nice...but hes not the mvp, hes 3rd

I don't get how anyone is saying that Dwight Howard should have won over him.  The hate is evident, and strong for Rose.  Dwight put up freakish numbers, but he's nowhere near as valuable to his team as Rose was to the Bulls.  Magic still make the playoffs without Dwight Howard.  Without Rose (given the fact that Noah and Boozer were out for a lot of games this season) the Bulls are probably a 6th seed.  Let that man be great.  He deserved it.

laugh.gif
 ok buddy

lebron contributes more to his team than rose. if lebron is accountable for more wins. bulls arent that much worse without rose. How are they a 6th seed?

Magic are WAY worse without dwight. team full of shooters. dwight takes pressure off them. do you even watch?
lebron has better numbers (killing him in EVERYTHING except 1 assist lower) and dwight is more valuable than rose to the squad.

And us Bulls fan separate Rose's individual success with that of the team's. Id rather win 40 games and get the ring, than win 62, have the MVP, and not win.

It's all about winning to me. The individual accolades are nice, but I don't lose focus on the prize.

And us Bulls fan separate Rose's individual success with that of the team's. Id rather win 40 games and get the ring, than win 62, have the MVP, and not win.

It's all about winning to me. The individual accolades are nice, but I don't lose focus on the prize.

Originally Posted by f3DJam

laugh.gif
 ok buddy

So what you're basically trying to tell me, is that a Magic team full of shooters with Brandon Bass and Ryan Anderson (who can also shoot), is worse than a Bulls team w/o Rose, and Noah and Boozer out for most of the season?  That's ridiculous.
So what you're trying to tell me, is that if Lebron was not on the Heat this year, that they would be worse than the Bulls W/O Rose (subtracting Noah and Boozer for most of the season?

laugh.gif
 Ok.  I won't even get into that one.

Originally Posted by f3DJam

laugh.gif
 ok buddy

So what you're basically trying to tell me, is that a Magic team full of shooters with Brandon Bass and Ryan Anderson (who can also shoot), is worse than a Bulls team w/o Rose, and Noah and Boozer out for most of the season?  That's ridiculous.
So what you're trying to tell me, is that if Lebron was not on the Heat this year, that they would be worse than the Bulls W/O Rose (subtracting Noah and Boozer for most of the season?

laugh.gif
 Ok.  I won't even get into that one.

Rose with no help > LeCoat rider

this fact is making all lebron fan boys butthurt, BWUHAHAHAHA

kleenex-box.jpg

Rose with no help > LeCoat rider

this fact is making all lebron fan boys butthurt, BWUHAHAHAHA

kleenex-box.jpg

Once again, people here aren't understanding what the MVP trophy is all about.
laugh.gif
 It's cool, keep thinking the MVP = best player in the NBA. Using that logic in MLB, A-Rod and Pujols should be the MVP every season in their respected leagues.
laugh.gif

Once again, people here aren't understanding what the MVP trophy is all about.
laugh.gif
 It's cool, keep thinking the MVP = best player in the NBA. Using that logic in MLB, A-Rod and Pujols should be the MVP every season in their respected leagues.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by chokeonsmoke

He has all star players around him Noah boozer Lou , I do believe its all hype ,

Durant
pimp.gif
And Durant is surrounded by garbage?  Westbrook is better than anyone on the Bulls other than Rose, IMO. 

Rose deserved the MVP.  You can make a case for a couple others, but I don't think you can say Rose wasn't deserving.

Originally Posted by chokeonsmoke

He has all star players around him Noah boozer Lou , I do believe its all hype ,

Durant
pimp.gif
And Durant is surrounded by garbage?  Westbrook is better than anyone on the Bulls other than Rose, IMO. 

Rose deserved the MVP.  You can make a case for a couple others, but I don't think you can say Rose wasn't deserving.

Back
Top Bottom