Breaking News: Derrick Rose named 2010-2011 MVP

Originally Posted by OnionSlice

Originally Posted by MrONegative

I agree LeBron's better and D12 and KD too. 
To me the first step of an MVP season is seeming like you've done everything you can possibly do, and that was the difference in your team never really failing. KD shoulda sonned Westbrook, D12 shoulda sonned everyone in his reach everyone and LeBron should've hit some gamewinners and won All-Star MVP. The momentum he would've had if he won that, would've put him right there in the conversation.

Basically Kobe and the Lakers had that All-Star weekend and 3 weeks after that LeBron would've needed for that MV3. His fault for pissing people off.
ohwell.gif
LeBron was NOT going to win MVP no matter what. If he averaged 35ppg, 15 rebounds, 10 assists, 2 steals and a shot block with a 56% FG% he still would not have won. He was out of the conversation before the season started. By the same token, D.Rose as MVP was decided halfway into the season.

LeBron had the best individual numbers of any player in the league. Not opinion, fact. 

The dude was the #2 scorer in the leauge only behind KD. LeBron shot 51.1% compared to KD's 46.2%. The only top 10 scorer that shot a higher percentage was Dirk with 51.7%. LeBron is the best defender at his position in the league. Best perimeter defender in the league. Highest player efficiency rating in the league. 

Does that make you an MVP though? Remember, MVP stands for Most Valuable Player. So.......   No. Not really. It's possible to pad your own stats without really adding to the rest of the teams level of play. A better way to judge a players value to his team is win shares. 

So what are LeBron's win shares? #1 in the league in overall win shares. #1 in the league in win shares per. #1 in the league in offensive win shares. #3 in the league in defensive win shares, only behind Dwight and KG.

It's not reasonable to say LeBron is not the "most valuable player" in the game. You can't be at the top of every list of player efficiency and team value ratings and be less valuable than someone who's lower or not there at all.

So is D.Rose deserving. Well.... simply put... no. If someone else is more deserving of a title that only one person can receive, then you're not deserving. In this case, there are 2 players (LeBron & Dwight) who are more deserving.

This MVP race has been more of a "I like this guy and he had a great year" race. You have people saying things like "LeBron should have hit some game winners". Have you not seen some of these bricks D.Rose has been throwing up in the second half of the season? He's been jacking up shots at Kobe levels.

LeBron is held to a different standard. It's that simple. Like I said, #6 was out of the conversation before the season started. 
There was a stat out there that D. Rose lead the league in last second quarter ending heaves...........

Also, who the %+$# else would you have shoot for the Bulls? Keith Bogans maybe???  or Omer Asik perhaps?? It's obvious you want your man 'Bron to win the award, which is fine, but to have the audacity to say Rose is un-deserving because of some cockamamie theory you cooked up is ridiculous. LeBron James is a beast, but this season.......THIS SEASON, he is not the league's most valuable player.

You people can have your opinions, but my gosh, ya'll hate on Derrick like he didn't have an awesome season and lead his team to the best record in the league.

To me the first step of an MVP season is seeming like you've done everything you can possibly do, and that was the difference in your team never really failing. KD shoulda sonned Westbrook, D12 shoulda sonned everyone in his reach everyone and LeBron should've hit some gamewinners and won All-Star MVP. The momentum he would've had if he won that, would've put him right there in the conversation.

Basically Kobe and the Lakers had that All-Star weekend and 3 weeks after that LeBron would've needed for that MV3. His fault for pissing people off.
ohwell.gif
LeBron was NOT going to win MVP no matter what. If he averaged 35ppg, 15 rebounds, 10 assists, 2 steals and a shot block with a 56% FG% he still would not have won. He was out of the conversation before the season started. By the same token, D.Rose as MVP was decided halfway into the season.

LeBron had the best individual numbers of any player in the league. Not opinion, fact. 

The dude was the #2 scorer in the leauge only behind KD. LeBron shot 51.1% compared to KD's 46.2%. The only top 10 scorer that shot a higher percentage was Dirk with 51.7%. LeBron is the best defender at his position in the league. Best perimeter defender in the league. Highest player efficiency rating in the league. 

Does that make you an MVP though? Remember, MVP stands for Most Valuable Player. So.......   No. Not really. It's possible to pad your own stats without really adding to the rest of the teams level of play. A better way to judge a players value to his team is win shares. 

So what are LeBron's win shares? #1 in the league in overall win shares. #1 in the league in win shares per. #1 in the league in offensive win shares. #3 in the league in defensive win shares, only behind Dwight and KG.

It's not reasonable to say LeBron is not the "most valuable player" in the game. You can't be at the top of every list of player efficiency and team value ratings and be less valuable than someone who's lower or not there at all.

So is D.Rose deserving. Well.... simply put... no. If someone else is more deserving of a title that only one person can receive, then you're not deserving. In this case, there are 2 players (LeBron & Dwight) who are more deserving.

This MVP race has been more of a "I like this guy and he had a great year" race. You have people saying things like "LeBron should have hit some game winners". Have you not seen some of these bricks D.Rose has been throwing up in the second half of the season? He's been jacking up shots at Kobe levels.

LeBron is held to a different standard. It's that simple. Like I said, #6 was out of the conversation before the season started. 
Do you really think Lebron is held to a different standard? He put up similar numbers last year and won MVP. He put up monster numbers the year before and won MVP. Was the standard different then? No. Lebron is not going to win the MVP because he plays with 2 top 15 players in the league (and another MVP candidate). It's not about game winners or people hating Lebron but be realistic. You take Lebron off that team and add an average SF and they're still contenders. Wade is literally a top 5 player in the league. As much as people hate on Bosh, he's had to redefine his game and was a top PF when he had the chance to have the ball in hands. Just like Westbrook making the "leap" hurts Durant's chances at MVP, Lebron teaming up with Wade and Bosh is going to do the same. 
There's no conspiracy against Lebron. He had the best numbers this year but if you think a Rose-less Bulls is a better team than a Lebron-less Heat, you're insane and that definitely factors into the voting. 

ohwell.gif

Do you really think Lebron is held to a different standard? He put up similar numbers last year and won MVP. He put up monster numbers the year before and won MVP. Was the standard different then? No. Lebron is not going to win the MVP because he plays with 2 top 15 players in the league (and another MVP candidate). It's not about game winners or people hating Lebron but be realistic. You take Lebron off that team and add an average SF and they're still contenders. Wade is literally a top 5 player in the league. As much as people hate on Bosh, he's had to redefine his game and was a top PF when he had the chance to have the ball in hands. Just like Westbrook making the "leap" hurts Durant's chances at MVP, Lebron teaming up with Wade and Bosh is going to do the same. 
There's no conspiracy against Lebron. He had the best numbers this year but if you think a Rose-less Bulls is a better team than a Lebron-less Heat, you're insane and that definitely factors into the voting. 

ohwell.gif

my man is goin in 
pimp.gif

congrats to rose tho

ohwell.gif

my man is goin in 
pimp.gif

congrats to rose tho

ohwell.gif

roll.gif

the best perimeter defender in the league is probably tony allen
and then there is that dude from the thunder and thabo from the bulls

Fg% does not equal mvp
lebron stans seem to always fall back on that field goal percentage as if lebron does not exclusively score from the paint with karl malone's body on steroids
eyes.gif

ohwell.gif

roll.gif

Fg% does not equal mvp
lebron stans seem to always fall back on that field goal percentage as if lebron does not exclusively score from the paint with karl malone's body on steroids
eyes.gif

Anyway, ever since "the decision" everybody has morphed into a horde of Skip Bayless clones.

And why is everybody acting as if D.Rose plays on some scrub team that he's dragging along with him to victory? Newsflash!!! The Bulls are a good team. #1 rated defense in the league. (Which D.Rose has almost nothing to do with), Coach of the year in my book, great cast of role players. It's like all people recognize is big superstar names. It's like "The Heat have 3 guys who's names I know. They're stacked". Do you honestly think Miami's bench is as good as Chicago's?

And what about this nonsense of Chicago needing Rose more than the Heat need LeBron? Did you not read the win shares ratings I posted up? The fact is that Miami struggles when LeBron is not playing worse than the Bulls do when Rose is not playing. That's just a fact. Apparently some of you need to brush up on your stats because this is an indisputable fact.

Anyway, ever since "the decision" everybody has morphed into a horde of Skip Bayless clones.

And why is everybody acting as if D.Rose plays on some scrub team that he's dragging along with him to victory? Newsflash!!! The Bulls are a good team. #1 rated defense in the league. (Which D.Rose has almost nothing to do with), Coach of the year in my book, great cast of role players. It's like all people recognize is big superstar names. It's like "The Heat have 3 guys who's names I know. They're stacked". Do you honestly think Miami's bench is as good as Chicago's?

And what about this nonsense of Chicago needing Rose more than the Heat need LeBron? Did you not read the win shares ratings I posted up? The fact is that Miami struggles when LeBron is not playing worse than the Bulls do when Rose is not playing. That's just a fact. Apparently some of you need to brush up on your stats because this is an indisputable fact.

Originally Posted by knightngale

ohwell.gif

roll.gif

Fg% does not equal mvp
eyes.gif

LeBron scores "exclusively" from the paint? If by "exclusively" you mean 35% of the time, then sure, "exclusively".
You know what a high FG% means? It not only means you make shots, it means you take BETTER shots.

Derrick Rose is a great player, had a great year, but this guy is starting to become a ball chucker and he doesn't really elevate the level of his team's play. The fact that this guy is a point guard and he only averages 0.7 assists more than LeBron is flat out ridiculous. How does a point guard average less than 1 assist more than a forward? lol.

ohwell.gif

roll.gif

Fg% does not equal mvp
eyes.gif

LeBron scores "exclusively" from the paint? If by "exclusively" you mean 35% of the time, then sure, "exclusively".
You know what a high FG% means? It not only means you make shots, it means you take BETTER shots.

Derrick Rose is a great player, had a great year, but this guy is starting to become a ball chucker and he doesn't really elevate the level of his team's play. The fact that this guy is a point guard and he only averages 0.7 assists more than LeBron is flat out ridiculous. How does a point guard average less than 1 assist more than a forward? lol.

Anyways. Why is everybody acting as if D.Rose plays on some scrub team that he's dragging along with him to victory? Newsflash!!! The Bulls are a good team. #1 rated defense in the league. (Which D.Rose has almost nothing to do with), Coach of the year in my book, great cast of role players. It's like all people recognize is big superstar names. It's like "The Heat have 3 guys who's names I know. They're stacked". Do you honestly think Miami's bench is as good as Chicago's?

You have a valid point there. The bulls are deep and it is not like Rose is doing everything for them to win. On the other hand Lebron has Wade and Bosh. Wade has the ability to  beat a team by himself by going to the
line 50 times per game. Then there is Bosh who is soft but seems to score 20ppg every game out of nowhere.
Miami's role players are not as trash as most people seem to think. Jones rarely misses open 3s. Anthony plays great defense. Chalmers  annoys teams.

I think in the end it means that Rose is not an impressive MVP but his team did finish with the best record and he played hard all year. He is not the best player in the league but it seems to me that he played harder than other MVP candidates.

Anyways. Why is everybody acting as if D.Rose plays on some scrub team that he's dragging along with him to victory? Newsflash!!! The Bulls are a good team. #1 rated defense in the league. (Which D.Rose has almost nothing to do with), Coach of the year in my book, great cast of role players. It's like all people recognize is big superstar names. It's like "The Heat have 3 guys who's names I know. They're stacked". Do you honestly think Miami's bench is as good as Chicago's?

You have a valid point there. The bulls are deep and it is not like Rose is doing everything for them to win. On the other hand Lebron has Wade and Bosh. Wade has the ability to  beat a team by himself by going to the
line 50 times per game. Then there is Bosh who is soft but seems to score 20ppg every game out of nowhere.
Miami's role players are not as trash as most people seem to think. Jones rarely misses open 3s. Anthony plays great defense. Chalmers  annoys teams.

I think in the end it means that Rose is not an impressive MVP but his team did finish with the best record and he played hard all year. He is not the best player in the league but it seems to me that he played harder than other MVP candidates.

this dude onionslice needs to go into competitive debating or something
laugh.gif
i agree with you though dude. not necessarily that lebron should have won it but that it was a pretty much given that rose was going to win it months ago

this dude onionslice needs to go into competitive debating or something
laugh.gif
i agree with you though dude. not necessarily that lebron should have won it but that it was a pretty much given that rose was going to win it months ago

OnionSlice wrote:

35% from the paint? and the other 25% from the line
eyes.gif

thats a lot of paint points and free throws for a perimeter player
he takes better shots  because the rest of his game is mediocre compared to his barreling to the basket move...not because he is a high IQ player...you can see that when he gets the deer in the headlights look during clutch time

OnionSlice wrote:

35% from the paint? and the other 25% from the line
eyes.gif

thats a lot of paint points and free throws for a perimeter player
he takes better shots  because the rest of his game is mediocre compared to his barreling to the basket move...not because he is a high IQ player...you can see that when he gets the deer in the headlights look during clutch time

You're right, the Bulls are the best team in the league and you don't get there with only one player. D. Rose definitely has a bunch of really good role players around him. I'm not huge on all advanced stats but I definitely understand and respect what they say. But at some point you also have to throw basketball knowledge in there when making decisions. 
Do you honestly think that Bulls team without Rose is winning 50 games? That team would have no playmaker or scorer. They'd be relying on Boozer to create shots on offense who was out for almost half the season. The team would play great defense and play hard but they wouldn't be able to score enough to win. You take Lebron out of Miami and they still have Wade and Bosh to pick up the slack for most of Lebron's abilities. Wade and Bosh would be scoring more and creating more plays for the rest of the team, two things which they have shown to be able to do at an all star level. Lebron is a good defender but considering their defensive rating has only improved a bit since last year (with a pretty bad team), I think it'd be safe to guess that Spoelstra is a decent enough defensive coach to make it work. 

Personally, I think some of these advanced stats can lie. If the Heat end up playing the Bulls in the ECF, I don't think you're going to be upset when Rose is on the bench. You're not going be upset when CJ Watson is running the team instead of Rose. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. 

You're right, the Bulls are the best team in the league and you don't get there with only one player. D. Rose definitely has a bunch of really good role players around him. I'm not huge on all advanced stats but I definitely understand and respect what they say. But at some point you also have to throw basketball knowledge in there when making decisions. 
Do you honestly think that Bulls team without Rose is winning 50 games? That team would have no playmaker or scorer. They'd be relying on Boozer to create shots on offense who was out for almost half the season. The team would play great defense and play hard but they wouldn't be able to score enough to win. You take Lebron out of Miami and they still have Wade and Bosh to pick up the slack for most of Lebron's abilities. Wade and Bosh would be scoring more and creating more plays for the rest of the team, two things which they have shown to be able to do at an all star level. Lebron is a good defender but considering their defensive rating has only improved a bit since last year (with a pretty bad team), I think it'd be safe to guess that Spoelstra is a decent enough defensive coach to make it work. 

Personally, I think some of these advanced stats can lie. If the Heat end up playing the Bulls in the ECF, I don't think you're going to be upset when Rose is on the bench. You're not going be upset when CJ Watson is running the team instead of Rose. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. 

Lol. It's true. There's some Heat games where it looks like Bosh isn't doing anything at all, then at halftime he's the game's high scorer with like 16? lol. I really wish that dude would stop settling for 18-foot jumpers though.

Lol. It's true. There's some Heat games where it looks like Bosh isn't doing anything at all, then at halftime he's the game's high scorer with like 16? lol. I really wish that dude would stop settling for 18-foot jumpers though.

Back
Top Bottom