Building your own PC?

Originally Posted by CWrite78

Originally Posted by rickybadman

eh i guess to each their own. btw, how long did it take you to build your pcs? including time you had to return stuff/trouble shooting/all that? i want a gaming pc, was going with a prebuilt (HP firebird 803, which im still probably going to get) but I've always wanted to try to build my own but have zero knowledge.
Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

well, obviously. doesn't take it away from being worthless. and most hardcore builder/pc gamers wouldn't bother with it anyway.
you've got that backwards doggy
laugh.gif

most hardcore gamers have leds everywhere from the fans to cathodes

we must be viewing different stuff. most ppl care about their performance than it's looks.
Actually from my experience, after dudes spend tons of money, time and effort on their rigs. They always want to show them off, there is almost always a post in most PC gaming forums of guys showing off their rigs.

well im not saying they all dont like it. but the once i've seen them "showing off" their rigs meaning their specs being all over the place.

eh i guess to each their own. btw, how long did it take you to build your pcs? including time you had to return stuff/trouble shooting/all that? i want a gaming pc, was going with a prebuilt (HP firebird 803, which im still probably going to get) but I've always wanted to try to build my own but have zero knowledge.
Getting the first one up and running took me about a month..I plugged the floppy power connector into the sys fan on the motherboard and fried the motherboard, cpu, and ram...thank god newegg sent me new ones
laugh.gif

Getting it all put together took about 2 hours. Just read some guides and you'll be good..

Originally Posted by SkySacrament

if you are looking to make your own, be sure to invest in a anti-static/shock wrist.

1 shock on any parts...= fried and will cause a major headache later when you try to fix it.
agreed

i have an old HP i don't use since i switched to mac.. think i should 'practice' on that before i invest in a brand new rig?
def take your old one apart and see if you can put it back together, and get it up and running..

Don't take the heatsink off though..

My comp at home only has 256 mb of ram (some of yall said like 8 gb) how do i go about increasin my ram cause my comp is slow. I know i have to buy it, how doi know which one to buy, how to install etc?

any help is appreciated. I would go to a comp place, but i dont want to get ripped off, and i have things that i want to remain private on my comp. again anyhelp?

zn9c3a.jpg

i1l5ib.jpg

case antec twelve hundred
mb Asus p5q-e
graphic card HIS ATI 4870 1gb
cpu intel core 2 duo e 8500 3.16ghz overclocked on air to 4.0 but lowered it back to stock
ram 4gb of corsair dominator
i cleaned up my case after the first few days. don't worry about building a pc if you read the instructions you're ok,and i do have led's on myrig
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by sole vintage

zn9c3a.jpg

i1l5ib.jpg

mb Asus p5q-e
cpu intel core 2 duo e 8500 3.16ghz overclocked on air to 4.0 but lowered it back to stock
i cleaned up my case after the first few days. don't worry about building a pc if you read the instructions you're ok,and i do have led's on my rig
laugh.gif
clean that up man
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by sole vintage

zn9c3a.jpg

i1l5ib.jpg

mb Asus p5q-e
i cleaned up my case after the first few days. don't worry about building a pc if you read the instructions you're ok,and i do have led's on my rig
laugh.gif

how are those asus monitors?

nice tips..

overall putting it together is pretty simple..only difficult part imo is putting on the right amount of thermal paste
and if you wanna make it less difficult for the love of god get a heatsink with screws. push pins are a pain

how are those asus monitors?
amazing i had a samsung 22'' which i bought for $365 didn't do full HD 1680x1050. the two asus monitors perform at the same level asmy last samsung monitor, but for $136 each with full 1080p support a HDMI port and bulid in speakers.

Man thanks guys. Keep the info and pictures coming. And dude who has 256mb of Ram. I have 128mb so I got it way worse when someone drops a page of gifs lol.

As far as building my own pc. I technically did. What I did was post my budget and what I was looking to do with my pc here. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31-322.html

They where very helpful and did some comparisons with other builds in my price range. I did this a little over a year ago. Total cost was $1,500 foreverything. I paid an extra $60 to some local computer place to put it all together because I didn't feel comfortable after reading the guides on how to doit. It was well worth it. I have had 0 problems. Love it. Here are my specs.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHz 1066MHz 8MB LGA775

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

EVGA 512-P3-N802-A1 GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply

CORSAIR 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

As for software I download everything. But I do advise buying a retail copy of NOD32. I got one on sale for $30 at newegg. Otherwise you'll always havehassles getting updating passwords. For the os what I did was download windows xp and bought retail key for $20 on ebay.

Every PC I've owned has been built by me. You'll do fine, just don't get too frustrated the first time if it doesn't boot right away.

My current one is a Micro-ATX setup mainly used for media and the net.

Core 2 Duo E8200
4gb Ram
Two internal harddrives, 300gb and a 500gb.

Nothing too fancy, but it works and is fast and reliable. Eff a Mac.

Originally Posted by nnarum

Every PC I've owned has been built by me. You'll do fine, just don't get too frustrated the first time if it doesn't boot right away.

My current one is a Micro-ATX setup mainly used for media and the net.

Core 2 Duo E8200
4gb Ram
Two internal harddrives, 300gb and a 500gb.

Nothing too fancy, but it works and is fast and reliable. Eff a Mac.

nobody is insulting pcs.. why the mac insult?

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6700 2.66 Ghz
Asus Pke Deluxe Edition w/ WiFi
OCZ 6 GB DDR3 @ 1333 Mhz
ATI VisionTek 2100HD 512 Megabyte
500 Gigabyte Seagate HDD
160 Gigabyte Seagate HDD
3D Galaxy Liquid Cooling
ABS Labs 800 Watt PSU

Took this pic shortly after building my PC back in Sept 07

fapime.jpg

Specs in PIC:
Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Tuniq T-120-LFB 120mm CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
4x 1GB Crucial Ballistix
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
Corsair HX520W
150GB Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD
500GB Western Digital WD5000AAKS
Samsung SH-S183L Sata DVD Burner
Antec Nine Hundred

Mods not shown in pic:
2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST31000340AS
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
24" BenQ FP241W LCD
HT Omega Claro Plus sound card
Logitech MX Revolution mouse
Logitech Wave keyboard
Logitech Z 5500 speakers

Originally Posted by Mrmeeh2

yo, how does the liquid cooling work? have to change the substance often?
Basically, liquid cooling is much better and more quieter than regular fans and heatsinks. You would need tons of space in your case, so i don't suggest you buy it if you plan on installing in a brand named computer since they usually come in smaller cases. You need to plan out where you want everything to go and run, ie; tubes, fluid reservoir, fan, power supply, etc. It is really easy to maintain, you just need to change the fluid every 1.5-2 years or so. What i've noticed is that somehow the fluid slowly evaporates overtime, i'm guessing from the heat but i just buy more. When i change fluid, i drain out the old and place in the freezer so i can re use next time i swap out fluids again.
tongue.gif

ah i see, i've always wanted to know how it worked. where exactly do you place the tubes though? wouldn't it cause some shock since it'll berunning near electricity?

Originally Posted by Mrmeeh2

yo, how does the liquid cooling work? have to change the substance often?
Basically, liquid cooling is much better and more quieter than regular fans and heatsinks. You would need tons of space in your case, so i don't suggest you buy it if you plan on installing in a brand named computer since they usually come in smaller cases. You need to plan out where you want everything to go and run, ie; tubes, fluid reservoir, fan, power supply, etc. It is really easy to maintain, you just need to change the fluid every 1.5-2 years or so. What i've noticed is that somehow the fluid slowly evaporates overtime, i'm guessing from the heat but i just buy more. When i change fluid, i drain out the old and place in the freezer so i can re use next time i swap out fluids again.
tongue.gif

ah i see, i've always wanted to know how it worked. where exactly do you place the tubes though? wouldn't it cause some shock since it'll be running near electricity?
Well, all liquid cooling systems are built to run in a cycle. Fluid reservoir(pumps fluid) through tube to CPU waterblock(cools CPU) through tubeto Radiator(cools down fluid) through tube back to the beginning, also all tubes should be securely tied down with clamps or whatever they provide. Its commonsense to make sure everything is tied down, before putting fluid into the reservoir to be pumped and have running. All liquid runs through the tubes, sonothing is harmed.

Back
Top Bottom