Building your own PC?

its almost not even practical to build your own computer anymore. PCs are dirt cheap and there are deals with rebates, printers and monitors all the time.

I would only recommend it if you do it as a hobby or if you have exact specifications you're looking for but definitely not to save money.

Originally Posted by Mrmeeh2

Originally Posted by CWrite78

yo, how does the liquid cooling work? have to change the substance often?
Basically, liquid cooling is much better and more quieter than regular fans and heatsinks. You would need tons of space in your case, so i don't suggest you buy it if you plan on installing in a brand named computer since they usually come in smaller cases. You need to plan out where you want everything to go and run, ie; tubes, fluid reservoir, fan, power supply, etc. It is really easy to maintain, you just need to change the fluid every 1.5-2 years or so. What i've noticed is that somehow the fluid slowly evaporates overtime, i'm guessing from the heat but i just buy more. When i change fluid, i drain out the old and place in the freezer so i can re use next time i swap out fluids again.
tongue.gif

ah i see, i've always wanted to know how it worked. where exactly do you place the tubes though? wouldn't it cause some shock since it'll be running near electricity?
Well, all liquid cooling systems are built to run in a cycle. Fluid reservoir(pumps fluid) through tube to CPU waterblock(cools CPU) through tube to Radiator(cools down fluid) through tube back to the beginning, also all tubes should be securely tied down with clamps or whatever they provide. Its common sense to make sure everything is tied down, before putting fluid into the reservoir to be pumped and have running. All liquid runs through the tubes, so nothing is harmed.

i see, i appreciate the info. was it hard to install?

Exactly, i kinda regret spending $2500+ 1-2 years back then building mines, when seeing computers for $800-1000 today with about the same specs. SMH
tired.gif

I was shopping for a friend today. A dell or hp with a quad core, nice motherboard and a ton of RAM is just under 1000. the quad core itself costs $400 on theshelf.

Basically, liquid cooling is much better and more quieter than regular fans and heatsinks. You would need tons of space in your case, so i don't suggest you buy it if you plan on installing in a brand named computer since they usually come in smaller cases. You need to plan out where you want everything to go and run, ie; tubes, fluid reservoir, fan, power supply, etc. It is really easy to maintain, you just need to change the fluid every 1.5-2 years or so. What i've noticed is that somehow the fluid slowly evaporates overtime, i'm guessing from the heat but i just buy more. When i change fluid, i drain out the old and place in the freezer so i can re use next time i swap out fluids again.
tongue.gif

ah i see, i've always wanted to know how it worked. where exactly do you place the tubes though? wouldn't it cause some shock since it'll be running near electricity?
Well, all liquid cooling systems are built to run in a cycle. Fluid reservoir(pumps fluid) through tube to CPU waterblock(cools CPU) through tube to Radiator(cools down fluid) through tube back to the beginning, also all tubes should be securely tied down with clamps or whatever they provide. Its common sense to make sure everything is tied down, before putting fluid into the reservoir to be pumped and have running. All liquid runs through the tubes, so nothing is harmed.

i see, i appreciate the info. was it hard to install?
At first, i looked at the box and the manual..it looked complicated as hell. But then, it was basically just screwing in the water block onto theCPU and place the reservoir and radiator somewhere, took measurements and cut the tubes to right size. I'd say it was very time consuming, about a littleover an hour of work, not hard at all. Once liquid was in reservoir, everything worked perfectly, no problems here. Oh yeah, you can get a really good computernowadays, not just because of the economy but also because of the new i7 processors.
pimp.gif

I have this old Gateway tower that I want to use but gut the insides. I want to go with top of the line anything. I figure it's gonna cost about 3k (idon't have the cash) should I bother with the Gateway case or go with a new one?

I have a HP PC that im about to swap into a Cooler Master CM 590. Should be pretty fun... my current HP case is a heat trap

Does anyone have knowledge of the video card that comes with 3d glasses. I think I saw it for around 2 or 3 something.

dont do it
instantly voids warranty

for the most part liquid cooling is not even worth it unless you plan to overclock to the extreme, which has no practical use once you overclock to that point
if you worry about the noise and temperature, just get a good heatsink for your cpu and get a case with good air flow
you dont necessarily need a lot of fans to keep your pc cool, you need good air flow and cables and wires management
if you worry about the dust, just get filters for your fan.

liquid cooling has no practical use, its just a marketing gimmick
it should only be used if you really need it, for example squeezing every mhz out of your cpu or gpu

I built my own computer with a friends help. Its pretty straight forward just need to make sure you dont fry any of the parts with static and make sure yourwires are connected proper. Saw this video a while back and always wanted to try it just for a cool set up.

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Does anyone have knowledge of the video card that comes with 3d glasses. I think I saw it for around 2 or 3 something.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/07/nvidia-offers-up-geforce-3d-vision-takes-wow-players-further-do/http://www.engadget.com/2...s-wow-players-further-do/

Thanks. Those sound pretty dope. Hmmm not sure if I want it for my first job though.
nerd.gif

And you guys got me worried about frying something
roll.gif

Originally Posted by DjMystery2003

I built my own computer with a friends help. Its pretty straight forward just need to make sure you dont fry any of the parts with static and make sure your wires are connected proper. Saw this video a while back and always wanted to try it just for a cool set up.
Don't do it bro
tired.gif
. Liquid cooling isn't a gimmick,it actually works and is proven to be more efficient than just fans alone. Now mineral oil cooling your computer IS a gimmick, due to it being not beingeffective as liquid cooling, and putting harms way with your components. You're computer is at risk of being corroded and damaged, if not soon will be whenexposed and soaked in oil. It is proven to keep low temperatures, but there are a ton of downsides:

- Mineral oil does change color and become
sick.gif
after a year or so
- Computer parts will corrode overtime
- Is flammable so any sparks might create hazards
- Does not reduce temperature
- Once temperature reaches that point, it will only become hotter, nowhere for heat to evaporate
- Devalues your computer parts
- Very hard and expensive to maintain, you would need a couple gallons to fill it back up (about 10-20 bucks a couple ounces)

Originally Posted by sole vintage

how are those asus monitors?
amazing i had a samsung 22'' which i bought for $365 didn't do full HD 1680x1050. the two asus monitors perform at the same level as my last samsung monitor, but for $136 each with full 1080p support a HDMI port and bulid in speakers.
$136 each ? They look huge, what sz are they ?

I was about to make a post about Asus monitors but you already answered my question. Im about to cop the 26' Asus monitor for $340.

I remember tryna build my own pc I plugged something in where it wasnt suppose to be and it burnt the motherboard.
laugh.gif
Thank god newegg sent me another one.

Whats good with motherboards and processors? I have some links so if y'all could recommend some that would be great?

http://www.microcenter.co...opc_proc&category=HB3

http://www.microcenter.co...roup=byopc_sysboards&

I was looking at the EVGA brand, how are they?

Oh yeah and what are some good PC games. I mostly like shooters. Halo, COD etc etc.

Oh and as for modems, I have the internet one from RR but I see peeps with these alot...

0208865_312058.jpg

Is there anything to gain by having one of these?

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Whats good with motherboards and processors? I have some links so if y'all could recommend some that would be great?

http://www.microcenter.com/search/s...by=pricelow&web_group=byopc_proc&category=HB3http://www.microcenter.co...opc_proc&category=HB3

http://www.microcenter.com/search/s...y=HB1&sortby=match&web_group=byopc_sysboards&http://www.microcenter.co...roup=byopc_sysboards&

I was looking at the EVGA brand, how are they?

Oh yeah and what are some good PC games. I mostly like shooters. Halo, COD etc etc.

Oh and as for modems, I have the internet one from RR but I see peeps with these alot...

0208865_312058.jpg

Is there anything to gain by having one of these?
If you're a serious hardcore gamer gamer, I'd say go for anything AMD since they're more gamer friendly compared to Intel processors.Get a dual core processor, so that means if you want an AMD choose anything that says X2 or if Intel choose anything says core 2 or core duo. If you want thequad core processors you would need to look for AMD Phenons and Intel Core 2 Quads or the newer version Intel Core i7. But if you're choosing AMD overIntel, its best you use graphics that are ATI related, since its more compatible and that AMD sponsors ATI graphics as a partnership. Any graphics card that isover 512 MB is good enough, i can't recommend anything since i barely do any games since my card is only meant for high video editing. Same for games, onlygood game i've played were Crises, Counterstrike, and Need for Speed
laugh.gif
. If i were you though, i'd choose Intel, especially for the quad cores since AMD had a slight mishap with their first Phenon processor. Lastly,for routers get a Linksys because they're very easy to operate via settings and plus they're plug and play so nothing can go wrong. The one you'reshowing is a older model and won't do any good in the future so you might as well go with a newer model, i'd recommend anything with at least MIMO or astep up Wireless N. Hope that helped.
ohwell.gif

just very recently finished my third build.
antec 1200
antec true power quatro
asus rampage II extreme
core i7 920 nehalem
dual gtx 285 1gb
6 gigs patriot ram
3 - 300gb 10000rpm velociraptor
coolermaster v8 heatsink

this thing is insane.
[h1]
[/h1]
[h3]
[/h3]

Originally Posted by Dam itz Lou

How's the core i7 ?
Core i7's are awesome as well as cheap as hell, but the DDR3 ram and compatible motherboards are extremely expensive, which is why most peoplecontinue to buy dual and quad cores instead.

I swear NT reads my mind sometimes...I'm currently researching and reading up before I get my feet wet and build my own I have been browsing Overclock.netand checking out reviews and how tos and I'm also reading Build it. Fix It. Own It. A Beginner's guide To Building And upgrading A Pc some really goodinfo in that book

Specs for comp on the right
You can't see $@%+ cause the heatsink covers everything
Motherboard aka Mobo: Gigabyte S-series GA-MA78GM-S2H
Processor: AMD Athlon 64bit X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM
Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Graphics CArd: RAdeon X1650 Series 512MB (add on/not on mobo)
Storage Memory: C drive(internal SATA)= 300GB F drive(interanl IDE connected via usb in external case)= 150GB
FANS: CPU fan= GeminII + a fan in the front i think 6in with blue leds.(I don't like the leds IMO)
cost: around 600

If you're a serious hardcore gamer gamer, I'd say go for anything AMD since they're more gamer friendly compared to Intel processors.
why do people still think this? when it comes to gaming Intel spanks AMD.

MR MONDAY NIIGHT wrote:

If you're a serious hardcore gamer gamer, I'd say go for anything AMD since they're more gamer friendly compared to Intel processors.
why do people still think this? when it comes to gaming Intel spanks AMD.

260wk86.jpg

any help?

I have a hewlett packard
amd Sempron processor
3200+
984 mhz, 224 mb of ram

this is what comes up when i search the comp info in the MY Computer system information.

I lookin to buy ram so i can speed up my internet surfing. any help?

Back
Top Bottom