Charlie Weis gone

roll.gif
@ turning down a bowl game. ND didn't want to lose yet another bowlgame.

I'm not sure it's possible for ND to recruit nationally like they want to. Even Urban Meyer isn't going to be able to pull in the same caliberplayers with their admission standards. Which is exactly why he's staying at UF.

Not to mention, they haven't been relevant since any of the kids they're recruiting have been alive. What's the incentive if you're not alegacy? Everybody knows the best talent is in Texas, Florida, and Cali. What top kid from Florida, Cali, or Texas is going to leave their state for freakingNotre Dame? Maybe a few prep school type kids every year but you're not gonna consistently pull top talent from the best states. I just don't see it.

Just imagine the backlash in Oklahoma if Stoops does go
eek.gif

03 BigXII 'ship game, NCG blowout to SC, losses to TCU, BYU, and other BCS L's.

..so who goes to Oklahoma? Kelly? And if Ohio St loses Luke Fickell to Cincy or anybody else for that matter Im gonna be
mad.gif

and the carousel begins.

I would THINK that OU would promote Venerables (or however you spell his name). Or maybe go after Sumlin? IDK

Assuming he wouldn't leave w/ Stoops.

Moreso than solely Stoops, if I was an ND fan, I would be more interested in the staff, OC/DC that is hired along w/ the HC.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

I would have voted down a chance to play in the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl too.
Why would you NOT go to a bowl?
Because playing in a bowl like that is more of a joke than turning it down. This isn't the first time that ND has turned down the chance toplay in a less than prestigious bowl. They're basically reserving the right to only go to bowls that they think are respectable enough for the program toplay in. And, considering the record that they have, they are saying they haven't earned the right to play in the postseason. Some call it lack of heart, Icall it respect for the program.

It's Notre Dame? What program?

They 6-6 son disrespecting the program isn't even an issue. Their record is disrespectful enough.

They're not playing a bowl game cuz they still caught up in the past like if it's not a BCS game it's not good enough for Notre Dame. %!@%.

Notre Dame will be GARBAGE FOREVER. F that pussifyed @+* team.

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

It's Notre Dame? What program?

They 6-6 son disrespecting the program isn't even an issue. Their record is disrespectful enough.

They're not playing a bowl game cuz they still caught up in the past like if it's not a BCS game it's not good enough for Notre Dame. %!@%.

Notre Dame will be GARBAGE FOREVER. F that pussifyed @+* team.
tell em how u really feel
laugh.gif

If ND doesn't change their academic standards, it's not gonna matter long term IMO. If they get Urban Meyer,he's not in the middle of arguably the best HS football state in the country anymore. A good amount of his Florida recruits wouldn't have qualified atND either. If they get Bob Stoops, same thing with regards to recruiting the state of Texas and his recruitsqualifying. Brian Kelly really hasn't proved himself as a great recruiter yet and really hasn't had thechance, although he will obviously get that chance shortly.

All three of the above are obviously major upgrades over Charlie, but I will be VERY interested to see if someone is able to win multiple MNC's without theschool changing their admission standards.

And Allen, don't act like Notre Dame is on such a pedestal that they "should not lose to Michigan and USC is the only big obstacle on theirschedule."
eyes.gif

Only in the last two years could you say that/does that apply (and we still won this year and hung around last year, in Michigan's worst season of All Time
laugh.gif
).

They play each other EVERY year until 2031. I know you already know that the record is 21-15-1 in favor of Michigan, and that Michigan is the All Timewinningest program in College Football history.

where did i say that?

My thing is, the talent that can be brought in is certainly enough to beat Michigan, Pitt, MSU and BC. USC is the only true obstacle.
Im talking about talent. USC is the only game they play where there is a decided advantage on pure talent. No?

I agree with USC being the only team with a decided advantage in pure talent during the Pete Carroll era. But just because of 2 seasons, you're gonna lumpMichigan in with Pitt, MSU, and BC?

"The talent that can be brought in is certainly enough to beat Michigan." Word? Are youtalking short term or long term? Just trying to clarify...

I'm not sayin every year, with Michigan and ND, it's usually 50/50..
but it's become the norm to drop those games, consistently.

this year there was more than enough talent to beat UM and they blew it.

MSU and BC have been more of a thorn in the side than UM it seems, so that's why i'd put them together.

Well, my whole thing is the losses that have piled up annual should not looked at as a result of recruiting..

it's been coaching. There really shouldn't ever be a time we face Michigan and there is a doubt if they can compete athletically and physically. Andmichigan should feel the same way

Pitt the last 2 years
UNC 08
Cuse 08
Navy 07 and 09
Stanford 09
MSU 08
BC 08
Michigan 09

etc...all those losses weren't because they didn't have enough players. I'm not sayin ND is rollin out the talent off the bus and they can win justby putting on the jersey, but to lose THAT many games against equal or less talent is a result of coaching throughout the program on both sides of the ball.

now when you get to the Sugar Bowl against LSU, the USC match ups...that's talent and not having the athletes.

IMO Notre Dame shouldn't have to lower their academic standards to compete with the jones. Teams like Northwestern, Stanford, and Cal do just fine becausethey know who they are.

I suggest ND do the same.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/...rlie_weis_.html

Charlie Weis is out as Notre Dame head football coach, a source close to the program told the Daily News.

AD Jack Swarbrick has decided to make a change after Weis finished the season with a 6-6 record and four straight losses to Navy, Pitt, Connecticut and Stanford.

Weis coached Notre Dame for five years and leaves with a 35-27 record. He has told friends in South Bend he has at least six offers from NFL teams to become their offensive coordinator.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/...l#ixzz0YN6vKnNp
5. The Browns don't count.

Originally Posted by Statis22

IMO Notre Dame shouldn't have to lower their academic standards to compete with the jones. Teams like Northwestern, Stanford, and Cal do just fine because they know who they are.

The difference is that Notre Dame see's themselves as a football powerhouse, with a glorious football history.

What has Northwestern done? A bowl here and there, an upset here and there.

Same with Stanford, they are good this season, but usually they are in the bottom half of the Pac 10, with good years sprinkled here and there.

Cal has only been relevant this decade during the Jeff Tedford era.

In terms of academics they are comparable to ND, but in terms of history on the football field, those three combined don't come close to being in the sameclass as ND.

There are programs in CFB, and then there are Elite Programs with tons of history.

USC
Notre Dame
Nebraska
Texas
Oklahoma
Penn State
Michigan
Ohio State
Miami
Florida State
Florida
Alabama

off the top of my head.

Whats so hard to believe that Weis is getting calls from the NFL? It's not like they're gonna ask him to be a Defensive coordinator.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by Statis22

IMO Notre Dame shouldn't have to lower their academic standards to compete with the jones. Teams like Northwestern, Stanford, and Cal do just fine because they know who they are.

The difference is that Notre Dame see's themselves as a football powerhouse, with a glorious football history.

What has Northwestern done? A bowl here and there, an upset here and there.

Same with Stanford, they are good this season, but usually they are in the bottom half of the Pac 10, with good years sprinkled here and there.

Cal has only been relevant this decade during the Jeff Tedford era.

In terms of academics they are comparable to ND, but in terms of history on the football field, those three combined don't come close to being in the same class as ND.

There are programs in CFB, and then there are Elite Programs with tons of history.

USC
Notre Dame
Nebraska
Texas
Oklahoma
Penn State
Michigan
Ohio State
Miami
Florida State
Florida
Alabama

off the top of my head.
Exactly!

And that's why I said I suggest ND find out what kind of program they really have. They think they are a national power but their recent track record saysotherwise.

In reference to the teams I named earlier, they have their set expectations and almost always seem to meet them every year, because they know what kind ofprogram they are running. ND's prestige and history should automatically put them in a class ahead of Stanford, Northwestern, and Cal, but it doesn'tmean ND should think they are the powers they were in the earlier years.

Unrealistic expectations get you a revolving door at the top and that is exactly what is going on there. It is unfair to their players, program, and fan base.

Back
Top Bottom