Colin Kaepernick Is Righter Than You Know

Will you boycott the NFL this upcoming season?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
its all talk from melo cuz spending money or donations or charity aint gonna make white people stop hating black people

"All talk" when Melo been giving back to Baltimore and Syracuse for 10+ years with the goal of empowering and inspiring the less fortunate to transcend their circumstances. Shut up man. Not everyone has to look, talk, and act like they belonged to the Black Panther Party to work towards equality. When was the bolded ever the goal of Kap's movement? That's a stupid goal any way. I know you are an emotional guy, especially on this topic, but how can you even measure how much "white people hate black people"? That's an intangible goal. You can't measure emotions or how people really feel about someone or something. Only they really know that, it's very difficult to change that as an outsider. Tangible goals are much more achievable, and that is what Melo is doing.

Melo isn't saying or maybe even doing exactly what you want but he is ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING. Doing a lot actually. I think that working on education, recreation & community outreach in Baltimore and Syracuse is just as important as Kap doing his kneeling. In every race thread we are always talking about how education is paramount. Because of systematic racism, inner city schools are not as good and the kids attending do not have the same opportunities as their white counterparts in the suburbs. Melo puts time in money into making this better. I've been to one of his events in Syracuse. Seen the man in action. ALSO, in every race thread we are always talking about the absence of a strong family dynamic and it's effects. Again, recreation and community outreach to get families and their kids doing things together. It may not be Kap's blatant, in your face, protest that internet warriors like yourself want to see. But for real people involved with and inciting change, the man has done much much more than most, and he did it way way before it was even fashionable to do so. I don't think BLM was even around when Melo got started on philanthropy.

Y'all need to chill with the Melo slander. I'm not even black but it's crazy how you are condemning black people who have already done so much for the black community just because they might not be 100% with Kap and this current "trend" of the movement. It's like some of you have forgotten people were doing things before Kap, which maybe is why Melo may be coming off a little salty.

Jim Brown now too :smh: Yeah I heard what he said and it's kind of messed up, can't lie. But y'all are real quick to give credence to Kap's movement and dismiss anyone else who isn't perfectly aligned with his goal...which...I'm not even sure what his exact goal is any more. It's all a mess now honestly. All of these people who have done things for the black community straight up being dissed and dismissed because they have an opinion on what Kap is doing.

Some people too caught up in "trend" of kneeling and have forgotten about the picture it seems. When this is all over, and people stop talking about Kap, we will still have philanthropists actually DOING. Hopefully, some of that doing will be brought about by Kap. I think that's his goal. Bring awareness, have people take action. Because what good will any of his kneeling do if it's just a talking point...it has just seemed like a talking point lately and one that is losing it's steam. Yet, Melo and other philanthropists in the black community who are now being condemned, will continue to do what they do for their community when no one is talking about Kap or kneeling any more.

Last edited:
All this slander on Melo :smh:
He may be one selfish basketball player, but he's well respected out there at Baltimore and was at the Freddie Gray protests

Has nothing to do with a "trend" these are issues that have plagued our community for years. And you don't necessarily have to be aligned with Kaep's goal fully at all. Some of these athletes agent built for it and that's fine, they are contributing in other ways like you've said, but that's an entirely different thing from stepping on the message that Kaep is making. That does damage to the community as a whole, it gives those who are in power and don't want the system and injustices to change a beacon to look to when it's one of our supposed heroes spouting nonsense talking points.

Every single time one of these black people mention black on black crime they're perpetuating one of the main stereotypes that led to the injustice in the first place. It's two separate issues, yes everyone knows there's problems within our community that need to be addressed, but not everyone knows or either just don't care about how we're perceived and treated in particular by law enforcement. Me as an individual can have all my **** together but that isn't going to stop a prejudiced/racist cop from profiling me like I've had done to me in the past or others from getting denied employment, educational opportunities, etc. They are conflating two things that really have no correlation and it's dangerous to us because of the gravitas and influence they have. It's not literal I take it as them saying, black folks get yo **** together first, then the white man will have some respect and empathy for you. Like ***** please, if yall don't take that Gregory Hines mess on somewhere. Just shut up seriously if you are going to give the oppressors more license to oppress.

if white people continue be racist unchecked nothing will change

tangible or intangible that is the only solution

no amount of money/donation/charity or respectability politics is going to change anything if white ppl dont change

Last edited:

[thread="652983"] I know you are an emotional guy, especially on this topic, but how can you even measure how much "white people hate black people"? That's an intangible goal. You can't measure emotions or how people really feel about someone or something. Only they really know that, it's very difficult to change that as an outsider. Tangible goals are much more achievable, and that is what Melo is doing.[/thread]

if white people continue be racist unchecked nothing will change

tangible or intangible that is the only solution

no amount of money/donation/charity or respectability politics is going to change anything if white ppl dont change

It's clearly not changing, at least this generation. That's what you wanna hear right? Change is impossible so we'll just sit around and wait for white people to stop being racist on their own. So I guess everything everyone like Melo has been doing was all worthless according to your beliefs.

You didn't address the rest of my post (the part with the logical discourse) and that's fine. I wasn't expecting it as you're still addressing your own emotional concerns first and foremost. Can't just sit back and say "white people hate black people it will never change, let's get angry about it and make them change." Even if you're right, that's not actually helping anyone. What melo is doing is actually working towards a tangible something and not an intangible nothing. He shouldn't step on Kaps feet, but I don't think he really has.

Last edited:
People forget there are multiple ways to tackle an issue. Melo and Kaep are both doing their part.

Anyone pushing "fix our communities" over "fix white supremacy" who isn't directly in the mix is lost though. The destruction of communities of color is a direct result of white supremacy. You can be poor, rich, a doctor, a janitor, a scientist, or a drug dealer. If you're black you're black. They arrested Henry Louis Gates at his own home for "breaking and entering". Trayvon got shot in a gated community. ****** gettin shot in the hood doesn't really effect your average suburban black family but I guarantee you that same family is worried about the police or even their own neighbors.

Certain people are only worried about "the black community" when we try to stand up for ourselves. It's an attempt to make us feel like we bring the treatment we receive on ourselves even with no involvement. It's ********.

But let me try to tell somebody about the evils of white supremacy or the police force.

"I mean I don't have anything to do with that, it's not all of us" :rolleyes *****

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is caught up in a "trend" of kneeling, in fact most people don't care if you kneel or not, but Publicly dismissing KAEP (melo), or going at him with white supremacy talking points (Barkley, Shaq, brown) is an issue. They have to be more conscious of who their audience is when speaking.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is caught up in a "trend" of kneeling, in fact most people don't care if you kneel or not, but Publicly dismissing KAEP (melo), or going at him with white supremacy talking points (Barkley, Shaq, brown) is an issue. They have to be more conscious of who their audience is when speaking.

This is basically it. They can do what they do without condemnation or dismissal of Kaep. I haven't heard Kaep speaking out on the rampant ****ing from Cam and others.

Y'all really going at Melo with the Uncle Tom angle? Really? :rolleyes

“He was courageous enough to do that. He created that. He created the kneeling and that protest. And people fell in line with that. Some people supported it. Some people didn’t," Anthony told Bleacher Report. "But at the end of the day, and I’m not taking nothing away from him ... I just don’t think the gesturing is creating anything. I think it’s bringing awareness, but I think doing stuff and creating awareness in the communities (is more effective).”

Is Carmelo really 100% wrong of what he's said? Cmon NT

It's clearly not changing, at least this generation. That's what you wanna hear right? Change is impossible so we'll just sit around and wait for white people to stop being racist on their own. So I guess everything everyone like Melo has been doing was all worthless according to your beliefs.

You didn't address the rest of my post (the part with the logical discourse) and that's fine. I wasn't expecting it as you're still addressing your own emotional concerns first and foremost. Can't just sit back and say "white people hate black people it will never change, let's get angry about it and make them change." Even if you're right, that's not actually helping anyone. What melo is doing is actually working towards a tangible something and not an intangible nothing. He shouldn't step on Kaps feet, but I don't think he really has.
Where did i say "sit around and wait"?

im all for direct confrontation

you say its "not helping anyone" but thats just your opinion

i addressed what was relevant 

Y'all really going at Melo with the Uncle Tom angle? Really?
eyes.gif
“He was courageous enough to do that. He created that. He created the kneeling and that protest. And people fell in line with that. Some people supported it. Some people didn’t," Anthony told Bleacher Report. "But at the end of the day, and I’m not taking nothing away from him ... I just don’t think the gesturing is creating anything. I think it’s bringing awareness, but I think doing stuff and creating awareness in the communities (is more effective).”
kaep donated a million specifically to address this criticism and yet melo can ignore that and fix his face to say that bs

It's not terrible as some of the others, but his assumption that Kaep isn't doing anything in the community is off base.

I don't think anyone called him an Uncle Tom, melo is far from a ****. Melo has always been a real one. I still think he slighted kaep with those comments.

Last edited:
I'm speaking to what I've seen myself. All he said was he thinks it's "more effective" doing stuff IN the communities and creating awareness IN the communities THEMSELVES. I agree with him. I've seen it first hand and the effect it has had on the community of Syracuse. Cannot personally say I've seen anything change with Kap's movement aside from jersey sales, sports talk show viewership, and memes/social media/forums. I don't watch the NFL or sports talk shows and I wouldn't have known about any of this if it wasn't for the internet. If I wasn't on NT, I wouldn't even know about this. But I did see Melo in person working with inner city kids and speaking at events that I have attended.

I can see how the internet and media presence and awareness over this issue is a big deal to those who are on the internet and engaged in the media. I'm not really that guy, but if you all feel he is making a big impact here I will not argue against it.

It is my personal opinion and belief that Melo has/is/will continue to do more or just as much as Kap. I've seen things changed because of Melo, can't say the same for Kap (yet).

Last edited:

kaep donated a million specifically to address this criticism and yet melo can ignore that and fix his face to say that bs
He freakin gave his props to Kaep
He just wants to take the movement to another level
Let's be honest, other than Kaep, which athletes have donated their time and money to their communities that supported Kaep's movement? Carmelo wants those individuals to hold up their end of the bargain.
Only ones I could name is LeBron and Dwayne Wade.

Again, I'm not discrediting Kap. Just trying to understand what progress or results he has made from the viewpoint of those of you who are upset with Melos comments. There may be a lot of progress made I'm just not seeing as a white person so I'm asking. I'll even ask my girl her opinion tonight as she doesn't watch NFL either but I'm sure she's aware of all this as she brings up race relations somewhat often and we are a mixed couple. And she knows of Melo because he tried to buy her old house lol.

Last edited:
I think people are forgetting that kap didnt intentionally try to start some mass trend or protest. He simply stopped standing for the anthem because he didnt feel like the flag or the country deserved that respect based on the lack of equality. When asked about he took the opportunity to explain why. I dont think he ever intended sitting to actually do anything or change anything in and of itself. It was a personal decision and when the media found out why they blew it up into thisthis huge protest issue.

As far as melo goes, it seems like they just asked him if he would participate in the protest or do anything during the anthem and he spoke the truth, that the gesturing wouldn't solve much on its own. Why would he sit and get fined and pay the nba when he could donate that money to a cause of his choosing. It'd litterally be hustling backwards for any of these nba player to follow kap.

I think people are forgetting that kap didnt intentionally try to start some mass trend or protest. He simply stopped standing for the anthem because he didnt feel like the flag or the country deserved that respect based on the lack of equality. When asked about he took the opportunity to explain why. I dont think he ever intended sitting to actually do anything or change anything in and of itself. It was a personal decision and when the media found out why they blew it up into thisthis huge protest issue.

As far as melo goes, it seems like they just asked him if he would participate in the protest or do anything during the anthem and he spoke the truth, that the gesturing wouldn't solve much on its own. Why would he sit and get fined and pay the nba when he could donate that money to a cause of his choosing. It'd litterally be hustling backwards for any of these nba player to follow kap.

Word. Melo been on top philanthropic lists with Oprah Winfrey since 2006. He isn't new to this, if anything Kap should follow in his footsteps (like he's now done).

Jim Brown.....

I betta not ever hear you mention you name along with Ali ever again. You just soiled yourself in my eyes. How can you go on national TV and betray everything you stood for in the past along with Co o n Barkley? Don't ever call yourself a activist ever again. I just lost a lot of respect for you man. 

What are YOU doing to step up? (Not Rhetorical)

I really wish PEOPLE would stop waiting for other people to step up.

My entire career is based on community mental health and ensuring cultural competence is a priority.

I've advocated for free services and connecting resources to communities where mental health is not readily available.

I've helped write grants to offset prices of services.

My ultimate goal is to open my own center in the urban neighborhood where I grew up to make service and support free.

Should I keep going? Or do you want to list your contributions too?

What are YOU doing to step up? (Not Rhetorical)

I really wish PEOPLE would stop waiting for other people to step up.
What exactly can the average person do to step up though? If you're gonna question what other people are doing to step up you should also define what exactly stepping up means to you. Instilling good values in your close surroundings? Donating to charities to help your community? Political activism?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom