Da baggy era, a fashion retropective.

Long story short, da Hot Boys made Girbaud's, long tees, and soldiers ( reebok workout mid's) popular nationally. But before that cats locally were wearing the baggy Girbaud's with the knife pocket on the side throughout the 90's. A lot of older heads were rocking them with sweaters and dress shoes. Once the hip hop fashion scene took over in the late 90's younger people adopted those jeans as the official streetwear look. And I kid you not, once those shuttle jeans came out everybody and their mama copped those jeans. I remember first seeing them at summer school when this dude came to school wearing them. He had spent his whole paycheck on them ( they were $98 when they first came out).

Girbuad was a stapled attire for dope boys back in the mid 80’s. Usually a RL polo shirt with Bally’s. Everybody emulated that’s fashion statement; money.

I remember my dad was in the 80’s rocking’ them with Bally’s (animals). There’s a documentary that came out about the fashion statement in New Orleans.

Last edited:
it's ok man either white college hispters or the lgbtq community will bring it back for you soon.

I'm just scrolling through this cringing. The grown and sexy era might just be the worst of it though. :rofl:

1572408121009.gif

Baggy era was good for chubby/fat dudes. Didn’t make that weight as noticeable ?

I was 320 in 04. 3xlt pro club had a mf shining lol
Baggy era for frail folks was even more humorous. Cats looked like they clothes wore them instead of them wearing clothes

naw, da funny part is "grown and sexy" button up era came out before people slimmed up, but after da jersey era, so you got Jay-Z talking bout he too grown for jerseys swimming in 5xl button ups and baggy *** jeans :lol:

jayz-during-jayz-and-friends-in-concert-november-14-2004-at-boston-picture-id111609658

vince-carter-of-the-new-jersey-nets-talks-with-rap-star-jayz-after-picture-id51888223

probably da worst trend/era in fashion.... Michael Jordan retired when this era was popping so his style literally froze in time in 2004-2005 :lol:
You can always tell when a dude was in his clubbin prime during these days cuz they STILL rock the baggy “grown and sexy” fits when they step out to this day :lol: ...Every now and again you’ll see somebody in a lounge with the 3x button up and a Kangol hat :lol:

I’ve always worn my clothes loose, but never to the extreme of my shirts being down to my knees or pants covering my entire shoe.

recording-artist-kanye-west-performs-at-camrons-down-and-out-video-picture-id52682041

Kanye west

Kanye facial expression looking he was in the 'sunken place' even back then. :lol::lol::lol:

That said he looks way more comfortable in that fit vs. the trash he been wearing for close to a decade now. :smh::smh::smh:

Nissan Sentra in the foreground and Chrysler 300 in the background though. :nthat::nthat::nthat:

Jim, Ye, Pharrell, Wale.

Modern rap fashion is based around these guys from 04-11. They all played their respective parts in various years/lanes. But it comes back to them, as far as the “transition” from baggy clothes and the general hip hop/urban fashion culture is today.

Kanye the other day. His pants don't look that different, just less holes
Kim-Kardashian-and-Kanye-West-in-New-York-while-Jesus.jpg

I actually think they've been trying to bring back baggy jeans for awhile now. I see videos of skaters on insta and they're wearing jeans like you woulda scene 20 years ago. sum of them have on the Tommy Carpenter pants with the flag patch, IDK if they're new or vintage. all I wear now are 514's & 511's and the former can actually be pretty baggy depending on which cut you get & that can actually be really unpredictable with Levi's you order off internets.

Kanye facial expression looking he was in the 'sunken place' even back then. :lol::lol::lol:

That said he looks way more comfortable in that fit vs. the trash he been wearing for close to a decade now. :smh::smh::smh:

Nissan Sentra in the foreground and Chrysler 300 in the background though. :nthat::nthat::nthat:
nah b those GMC Vandura and Savana :pimp: :smokin

So whats everyones thoughts on oversized being in now?

Like I said its different than baggy but it’s still big.

I seen a kid skating in some baggy jeans, I thought it looked dope. My baggy days are over and never coming back though

Akademiks :smokin
What ever happened to that brand?
I just was cleaning out my apartment, moms moved out. And she left her old things there. I found mad clothes that she never gave us. Brand new and mad big!

Gotta find a way to donate them
Funny enough mom dukes used to be like why you guys like your clothes so big?
Now she saying why y'all clothes so small?

Back
Top Bottom